Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Here's only part of what is happening in my neck of the woods.... Emergency Operations are in effect and we are all working night and day with 5 hour sleep periods between 12 hr shifts. It's sunny and hot for the next 4 or 5 days so there will be much more to come from rising river levels. There were hundreds of semis stuck in town all day & night as the hwys were closed in almost every direction due to slides.
    saobserver.net/news/another-landslide-hits-sunnybrae-more-residents-evacuated/
    web1_170506-BPD-SUNNYBRAE2.jpg
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    That's amazing! Still not affecting your house is it?
  • sufferlandrian
    I can't seem to stay awake. Even 30 hours worth of Five hour Energy drinks in a 24 hours period can't seem to do it. I think I need some sleep.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I can't seem to stay awake. Even 30 hours worth of Five hour Energy drinks in a 24 hours period can't seem to do it. I think I need some sleep.

Maybe just a little. Is there any way you can take a vacation day and catch up on some sleep?
  • canadjineh
    edited May 2017

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22334180

Careful or you won't be able to crawl out of the office, never mind hop on your bike again. :o

skinny-fat-2.jpg
  • canadjineh
    These are taken from the bridge by my place. We are up a bit higher, luckily, but neighbours down the road have been sandbagging and pumping for a few days now. The river is over its banks as you may be able to see from the downed fences along the 'tree line.' Taken on our way home from town last evening - I got a bit of flare as I was facing west in the car. Because we are on the flat river valley, we aren't getting many massive slides down from the mountain to the houses in my neighbourhood except for the first one a couple weeks ago.
    There are worse spots but I didn't want to be insensitive and station myself in front of someone's flooded home as they are working on it and take a photo. The road is up slightly on a berm, but the river is almost touching the bottom of the bridge. We have not crested yet as upstream levels are still rising, and down by the lake the flooding at the mouth is much worse. Ministry of Transport is looking at a possible long term closure of the main bridge and the TransCanada Hwy on the west end of town if it gets any worse.
    f4gjhdiyiscd.jpg
    5v5qgqk5bcz8.jpg
  • jennifer_417
    @canadjineh -wow, that's intense. Saying a prayer for you and all of those affected!
  • neilhoopy
    neilhoopy Posts: 280 Member
    Hello fellow nightshifters
  • canadjineh
    The cows in the pasture next to Mom & Dad's place are all fretting in the corner of the laneway because they can't get to where the hay is normally dropped (the field is flooded - the river is normally at the tree line in the distance). The farmer had to go chase them into another field so they could drop off the bales for them, lol.
    b137f6s93wxz.jpg
  • canadjineh
    Helloooow, new and returning nightshifters :)
    This is my last night off, then back to work tomorrow. Tonight I will bingewatch MI5 in preparation for staying up all night again at work, lol.
  • sufferlandrian
    @canadjineh - Wow! I keep thinking with all the rain and warmer weather we are going to see the same here, but it just hasn't happened.

Had to put a dog back together tonight that tried to jump a concrete barrier but didn't see the rebar on the top. Nasty laceration! At least it went back together nicely. :smile:
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,489 Member
    Wow @canadjineh that's intense. We still have some flooding in the counties east of mine. They've been under flood warnings for the past couple weeks but nothing like what you've been posting.

I've been working out with my hubs and his partners in the mornings I'm off; I have soreness where I didn't think I had muscles :lol:

Now for daywalk problems; someone has threatened to shoot people of the LGBT community at a high school in the town. We are just waiting for the phone calls to start; there will be many.

I have to sit in on interviews for dispatchers now bc they want our opinion. I've never interviewed another person in my life, and I had to wear slacks and a blouse to work. I miss my jeans.
  • canadjineh
    Wow, craziness bethanie! I did a major walk to the library in the 'village' center to take my Season 5 MI5 DVD's back but got carried away with more interesting books to take home, and barely had space to stuff them in my little string rucksack. Of course they weigh a ton too, and I had my tablet with me too to load e-books into as well. It was hot enough for me to wear shorts (I'm always cold) and so quite a sweaty trudge home.
    Big provincial election here yesterday.... right now it's a minority govt but only by one riding, lol, AND the Green party holds the swing power. But since it's that close there will be a recount. We won't know for sure til the 24th.

Not as freakish as the firing of the head FBI guy though :o . But enough of politics.
  • sufferlandrian
    Why is it the green party is so strong in other countries and it can't even beat out the libertarian party in the US?
  • jennifer_417
    Well, I had my last undergrad class today. Next week, I have 3 finals, then graduation on Friday. Then I'll sleep for about 3 weeks.
  • sufferlandrian
    That's awesome Jenn, Now on to Graduate school. I liked graduate school better. The classes were about things I was actually interested in.
  • canadjineh
    Mmmmmm, 3 weeks of sleeeeep.....
    hibernation.jpg
  • sufferlandrian
    edited May 2017
    pqrdtgwyc553.jpg
    I'm looking for another vet to work the emergency clinic. If you know of a veterinarian that wants to work a couple of overnight shifts in God's country and play around the rest of the week, I could use the help.
  • sufferlandrian
    Can't decide if I wan't Pizza or Mexican food. :smile:
  • canadjineh
    edited May 2017
    49yccoqckc7g.jpg

Hubby and I had a classy date night last night. We got gussied up, had dinner out, and went to the symphony for Rachmaninoff and Stravinsky and to hear a young local pianist with amazing talent as soloist. He is 17 and regularly plays with the Kamloops Symphony, just came in 3rd in the Hilton Head International Piano Competition and has just been accepted to Juilliard (less than 8% of applicants are accepted). (WTG, Jaeden!!)
    https://kamloopsthisweek.com/?event=kamloops-symphony-rachmaninoff-stravinsky
    Here's a piece he played when he was 14 (this obviously isn't his picture, lol, but the composer Poulenc): https://youtube.com/watch?v=zucqBHpDxnQ

Of course, nearing the end of the performance I get a silent text callout for BCHydro construction site security, so we get to rush home as soon as it was over. I quickly got ready, kissed hubby goodbye, and returned just over 9 hours later to kiss him goodbye again as it was his turn to head out to work. So much for a long lovely romantic evening together :/