Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    It's supposed to be 17 degrees in the morning. It's going to be a cold bike ride home. I'll have to switch to my other bike on Thursday since we should have snow. My other bike has studded tires. :smile:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It was 27F when I woke up. My sinuses have already started bleeding. Time to break out the space heater and the humidifier. Ugh.
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Yikes, @sufferlandrian, I guess October for dogs is like February for older humans. A month of death.

In my 911 world, from the beginning of the major holidays (i.e. Thanksgiving) thru to March, is just bad. It seems like the number of deaths goes up. It doesn't necessarily get too cold, just the stress and people get depressed. I love the holidays but hate them at the same time.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I can relate to that love hate relationship. No. No I can't. I just dislike the holidays altogether. :smile: Maybe that's why I don't mind working them. :smile:
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I like working the holidays too; ever since I was young, we've taken major holidays at times others don't. For instance when I was in school we travelled to Europe for 3 weeks at a time in late Sept/early October (wine season and great weather without the summer crowds). Ski holidays were a week in mid January for better more consistent snow and no lines (& better chance of cutting your own tracks thru the pow!). Our anniversary is in mid March so it's great for spring skiing, or cherry blossoms in Japan, or a beach break when we're tired of early spring rain in the valley. Both of us work like crazed maniacs during the summer.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    @canadjineh - that’s the way to do it. We used to keep the kids out of school an extra week to on vacation at the end of summer. The coast is beautiful in September and with school back in session the crowds are minimal.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    It was fun riding in the snow this morning. You could look back and see your tracks in the snow. It was easy to know which were mine. I was the only track on the sidewalk. :smile:
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Suddenly there is snow in the valley!! Yikes! Weather warning in effect, glad I don't have to go to work tonight, and hubby & I are just staying in the house til it quits. It has been coming down for 9 hours now.... the photo is from 4 hours ago.
    pdj8fzzr5uob.jpg
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I’m at work but wondering about getting home.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    *rant deleted*
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Whish I could have seen that rant. :smile:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    They were talking 4-8 inches of snow overnight but I don't think we have gotten more than 1 inch. I guess the night is still young.
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Rant, it'll make you feel better :smile:

That's an awesome pic!!!! No snow around my parts, suppose to be 80F today but I'm working so I'll just stare out the window and wish I was outside.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    More snow early today, although some sun later but staying at -6C. Boss asked me if I could take a shift tonight but we are stuck here until I can get to my tire changeover appointment on the 8th if the road doesn't melt in the next day or so. I AM scheduled for tomorrow night EEK! hope the road is ice free for then. At least the patrol car has its winter boots on already. And to think I made my appointment almost 3 weeks ago. The tire shops must be open 20 hrs a day right now to try to get the backlog done.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    My wife was feeling silly for changing to winter tires in early October. We've had snow twice since then. Now she looks like the smart one. :smile:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I just want to go home! A client just called. They don’t want to wait for their regular vet and said they will be here in 10 minutes. It’s 10 minutes before I’m supposed to leave.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Brrr, it got down to -14C early this morning on patrol. Thank goodness I'm holding steady with the weight because at least my longjohns fit under my uniform. With the sunshine and dry cold the roads have been pretty good. Sublimation, so no iciness at all. One more night to go on shift and then I'm off for 3.

I hope your patient got there quickly, sufferlandrian, and that it was an easily solved problem that didn't keep you too long.

Man, this forum is pretty quiet these days.... there can't be just 5 or 6 of us on nights.... Or maybe we are just the lucky ones that can access from work, bwahahahah.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    The cat from this morning did fine. It was a little upper respiratory from some refluxing she did when she was having the rock hard feces dislodged. She was already on antibiotics so she did well. I wish I could say the same for the dog from tonight. He couldn't urinate so the referring clinic stuck a needle in the bladder to run a urinalysis. However, by the time we got the dog and got it unblocked, there was a ton of urine in the abdomen. He developed an arrhythmia post surgical and passed. I hate making those phone calls.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Poor pup!
  • canadjineh
    Options
    One more hour to go on shift, then 3 days off! Woohoo!!