Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,201 Member
    Options
    @Jennifer - Yikes! Hope it continues to get better. Any idea what you did?

@Bethanie - Glad your getting better. Why can't we get colds in the summer when we could lie out in the sun and soak up the warmth?

It was supposed to be 25 mph winds tonight so I drove in. So far, there is no wind at all. :angry:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I think it's mostly stress, tbh. I've been dealing with tons of stuff for quite a while. I frequently feel unwell these days. Hopefully this year some of it will lift off.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Funny story: One of my coworkers told me that he almost got in big trouble with is wife when he came home with a long hair on his coat! We use the same vehicle on different shifts, so I must've left one that he picked up, lol! I offered to let him take a pic of my hair to prove it was a coworker, but he declined.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    LOL. That's funny. I can't imagine how much trouble he would have if he has picture of another woman on his phone. :smile: He was smart to not take the photo. :smile:
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Haha good point!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    It's like spring around here. 42 degrees when I left for work. Too bad I slept through my alarm. It would have been a good day for riding the bike to work.
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    It was in the 60s here today. It was almost perfect except for the wind that was almost constant. And I think I'll be able to get a decent hike in tommorow... finally!

@jennifer_417 :lol:
  • jruch23
    jruch23 Posts: 1,069 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I don't work a night shift but I am however a night owl :D it was nice today in Fl. We had a cold front and it was in the 60s lol
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Yeah! It's snowing again. Too bad it will turn to rain this afternoon.

I'm really having a hard time with records this morning. It seems like I let everything distract me. At least my puppy is finally turning the corner and doing well. The owner got him here not long before the intestines would have ruptured. She saved him by not waiting. We had to take out about 3" of dead intestine.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @jennifer_417 it could be your patrol car giving you grief... especially if you tag team your shifts with another co-worker using the same vehicle. I share my patrol car with two other guys, one I swear has no legs, I bash my kneecaps getting into the car after he's been on shift, seat is moved up so close. I also have to lower the steering wheel and pull it out as far as it will go so that I can reach comfortably with my arms while in the driver's seat. The other guy is fairly large and pushes the wheel as far away from his tummy as it can get. He also has shorter legs, lol. The doors on this Escape are so stiff my shoulder and then my knee ache from trying to push it open and get out multiple times during the shift. Check to see if you need to get more lumbar support or need to change where the headrest hits so you get proper posture while driving. Some seats are so bad they make you round your back and poke your head forward so you are shaped like a 'C' from the side. VERY BAD for you. I have to concentrate on proper posture while I drive or I will be achy the next day for sure.

Weather here has been whacko! We've been getting rain and not snow - very unusual at this time of year for here. Temps have been 5-7C daytime :s It just seems like an extra-long extended 'Mud Month,' which usually ends in early to mid December. Tons of snow in higher elevations though.
    Shuddup, bethanie & jruch! :s
    I am enjoying 6 nights off in a row (woot woot!) which is why I haven't been on much lately. Daylife, ya know.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    So now that I've hired someone, I just got three more resumes from people that want to come work. What are the odds of that? Wish I could hire them just to bank employees but I can't afford two doctors. :frowning:
  • Dead_Mans_Party
    Dead_Mans_Party Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Evening all. How is everyone doing. Been another busy night and not letting up. Must be the weather. Been cold and raining here. Its stupid that when it starts to rain in California, everyone loses their skills and starts smashing into everybody. Its like they forget how to drive in the rain after 300 days of dry weather.
  • jennifer_417
    edited January 2019
    Options
    It's kind of like that here, except with snow. We have wildly variant weather, but usually only a few days of truly bad road conditions every year. People just don't know how to handle it.

@canadjineh - It could very well be the patrol car. I've noticed lower back pain and a stiff neck ever since I started doing patrol. One guy is my height but likes to lean way back, one guy is a lot taller and bigger. I tend to like the seat to be super straight, so that may compound the problem.

BUT this is my last week on patrol, I'm moving to a post very soon, so hopefully I'll be able to recover quickly!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    @Dead_Mans_Party - You would think they would slow down when it rains since they aren't used to driving in it. We lose a few each year during the snow, but not so much the rain. We lost one this weekend in an avalanche. I think people don't understand the power of a 1000 lb slab of ice moving at 200 mph.
  • Dead_Mans_Party
    Dead_Mans_Party Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    You would think. It's normally so dry here that a little rain is like black ice everywhere else. People are in such a dam hurry too that slowing down isn't in their vocabulary. Lost 2 tonight from slick roads. I for one would stay out of the way of a 1000 lb slab of ice. More rain on the way this week, I guess I will hope for the best. Already drenched from working one tonight. Many of us west coasters say we only have 2 seasons in CA. Winter and summer. Our weather fluctuates drastically at times. 100 degrees one day and 60 the next.

@jennifer_417 - Patrol car?? Safe to say some kind of public safety work. I can see how that would cause some discomfort. My unit does.

• bethanie0825
    Options
    I'm in NC and they just don't know how to drive here. We answer more wreck calls on nice days than we do bad weather; it's like they get super paranoid in the rain. If we get ice/snow, forget it. Every country boy/redneck busts out their truck and four wheeler and thinks they can haul *kitten*.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Started snowing this morning. I love riding my bike in the snow. It's really relaxing. Unseasonably warm though. 40 in the afternoon and 30 in the morning.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    @Dead_Mans_Party - I work for a private security company that contacts with the city.
  • bethanie0825
    Options
    @Dead_Mans_Party The only weather we've had since September is wet. 2 hurricanes wasn't enough and we got snow, then more rain. Allegedly, it's suppose to be dry this week...we'll see.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    *contracts