Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• Naturally_Monica
    Naturally_Monica Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Morning everybody! 😂
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,201 Member
    Options
    Howdy Kowoolo. Welcome to the night threat.

BUSY weekend here. We were running and gunning but it seems like it's stupid people month here in Montana. We had a client request a full intestinal transplant for her cat. We had another client who wanted me to make her dog with the broken leg from cancer not painful for a car ride from Montana to Texas. I'm sorry to say I lost it on that one. We had a client who wanted her cat euthanized but didn't want injections. It's just been a crazy weekend and those cases are just from Sunday.
  • Naturally_Monica
    Options
    Wow, you work as a vet? That probably has to be one of the hardest jobs. I love animals so much, I can’t see them sick.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Yikes, whackjobs, @sufferlandrian!
    Welcome to the newbie, Kowoolo.
    Busyish weekend, doing fun stuff though, watched a good Foreign Film called 'Sir', then we attended my MIL's 'Saturday Night Live' talent show at her senior residence with wine and munchies after. Two phone calls on Sunday from the Nutter's Bulk & Natural Foods store celebrating its 25th anni this past week. Both Hubby & I won draw prizes, although not the SUPaddleboard.... It's all in the secret fold, lol, I win more than my fair share of draws thanks to this. Anyhow, approx $125 worth of stuff, so we're happy.
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    @canadjineh the secret fold....I must know more!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Secret fold? Please, tell us more. :smile:

@Kowoolo - Being a vet is a great job but I'm not going to lie, there are days when I whish the owners didn't have to come to the appointment. There are times I wish medicaid covered pets also. I hate turning away clients because they can't pay but won't euthanize. If you can't afford to fix a broken leg, don't let your dog run in the street! I can fix a lot of things, but I can't fix bad financial planning.
  • Naturally_Monica
    Options
    Secret fold? Please, tell us more. :smile:

@Kowoolo - Being a vet is a great job but I'm not going to lie, there are days when I whish the owners didn't have to come to the appointment. There are times I wish medicaid covered pets also. I hate turning away clients because they can't pay but won't euthanize. If you can't afford to fix a broken leg, don't let your dog run in the street! I can fix a lot of things, but I can't fix bad financial planning.

That’s just so sad. My pug actually had surgery a few years ago because he had swallowed something (I didn’t know this until they did xrays, I just brought him in because I thought he was sick- he wasn’t eating, drinking or going to the bathroom.) and it was so big it couldn’t pass through his system. The vet told me if I didn’t get this surgery my dog would die. Become septic. But I agree about accepting Medicaid, lol. These vet offices don’t accept payment plans and this surgery was expensive!!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I love pugs! They are usually so good to work with. Happy and friendly. I wish they could breath better but they are a lot of fun. Even sick they are great little dogs. :smile:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Got held up by a black bear when I was out biking today. He was plodding along the road like he didn't have a care in the world. I finally told him my grandmother walks faster than him. He didn't care. He just kept plodding along. He finally smelled something off the road and left. Beautiful bear for this early in the season.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    And it didn't occur to you to be...y'know...terrified? :D:D
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Nope. It was a black bear. They have pretty good dispositions as long as you don't pester them or get between them and their food. And it was a male so I wasn't worried about cubs in the area. :smile: I did keep my hand on the bear spray and not the camera though. I'm crazy, but not stupid. :smile:
  • NotWhoIUsedToBe
    NotWhoIUsedToBe Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of a night-shifter since my spinal surgery 2 yrs ago. Pain used to keep me awake so much that now I can't fall asleep sometimes til 4, 5 a.m., then sleep for about 5 hrs, start the day shift. I'm retired, and glad of it now that my health is better. Worst part of night shift is that I like to talk and no one else is awake. Its like taking a vacation by yourself! I get good ideas at night, and there's no one to share them with. Sharing is what's fun in life. Glad some others are awake, too! Good morning, have a good sleep when you get home.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    @NotWhoIUsedToBe - Love the name. :smile: Welcome to the night shift thread. We always enjoy more people. Sorry to hear about your spine. Was it your back? Hope to see you here as a regular on this thread. :smile:
  • NotWhoIUsedToBe
    NotWhoIUsedToBe Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your welcome! That feels great! I miss the people I used to work with. We were a tight crew; we really looked out for each other. I write to one person, and see another socially several times a year, but that life-saving comraderie isn't there for me now. I was forced to retire in 2014 when I experienced two pelvic stress fractures from osteoporosis following too much cortisone in too short a period of time. One minute I was fine; the next minute I couldn't walk! I was on "house arrest" for an entire year! Not good. However, I learned lots about disability and pain management firsthand that help me be a more compassionate human being. Yes, the surgery was a complex one to correct three problems in my lumbar spine. I've had back problems all my life with periodic pain and disability. My surgeon changed my life in 5 hours! Level 8 pain, narcotics for 3 years, one a a half week's of postop pain, then bliss from then until now! I realize very well that I am not the usual back surgery patient. My surgeon smiles every time he sees me! Everyone smiles when they see me!
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    OK, you Canadians can have your smoke back. I looks like July here with all the smoke. We don't normally have this much smoke until the forest fires are in full swing in July.

In all seriousness though, I feel bad for all the folks that have been evacuated but the fires up in Alberta.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    It's been quite hot here 30C (give or take a degree or two) for a few days now and we are getting thundershowers along some of the ridges with accompanying lightning (including dry strikes). News on the radio said that we had 12 new lightning caused fires in the Kamloops Fire Region yesterday. Nothing really close to where we live this round though. Here's the BC Gov't Fire Map for anyone interested - you can zoom in & out... The big ones are all up near the northern borders right now: BC Gov't Fire Map

Ahem, how to do the 'secret fold' (since we aren't likely to be entering the same contests, lol):
    After filling out your entry paper, zig-zag fold it like a fan, kitty corner. This expands the paper so it isn't flat and there are more poke-out corners, so it tends to catch the fingers of the person making the drawing. It feels different from the other entries when they are digging around, and is more likely to be pulled due to that.
    Good luck!

Awesome about the blackie!
    And welcome to @NotWhoIUsedToBe!
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    I'll take any advantage I can get!! I'll definitely be using the Secret Fold from now on lol
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Wind is blowing North again. Canada, you can have your smoke back. :smile:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Missouri Spring is always a little bipolar, but I think it forgot to take it's meds this year. Rain, lol, heat, tornados, crazy storms. Oh my.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    You guys have been really hammered this spring. I hope the summer is better than the spring has been.