What ingredients are bad?

Options
I am trying to get better at distinguishing what ingredients are bad and good. I know the basics like aspartame, MSG, and glucose. What other ingredients are a no no?

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    No ingredients are bad, including the ones you list.

Excess is bad.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    None? What is wrong with aspertame and glucose? Glucose is one of the primary fuel sources in your body. :huh:
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options

Excess is bad.

Yup. He's right.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid trans fats. If I was allergic to things, I'd try to avoid those things. I can't think of anything other ingredients I'd consider bad though.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid trans fats. If I was allergic to things, I'd try to avoid those things. I can't think of anything other ingredients I'd consider bad though.

This is about the only thing I really try to avoid, but I have health issues for doing so. Moderation is the key!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Things you are allergic/have sensitivities to. Anything that has been around the house long enough to have spoiled ... other than that, everything is fair game!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    *Bad ingredients*!! Go sit in the corner! :laugh:
  • SarahSilverman
    Options
    In order for an ingredient to be made legal to put into our food is has to go under intensive studying and tests that can up to ten years. Researchers have found that all those funky ingredients we see on our food labels that we can barely pronounce are safe for the human body in those small amounts. The FDA wouldn't let us consume harmful ingredients in our food.

Stay away from Olestra. It's a fat replacer used in low fat or fat free potato chips and french fries. They were taken off the market because they cause anal leakage. Dead serious.
    I like to generally stay away from heavy dyes in drink and stuff. Just because....ew.

Hope that helped
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Woah, what? Glucose is a bad ingredient now? Seriously....glucose? What are you going to use when you're in the middle of a long run and hitting the wall? I don't think MSG, aspartame or glucose are bad.

The only "bad" ingredient I can think of is trans-fats, generally listed as partially hydrogenated oils.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    bad ingredients are the ones in jail….

seriously, as already said there are no "bad" and "good" foods…there is just food that is used for energy. Eat too much, you gain weight; eat less, you lose weight, eat at maintenance, you do not lose or gain..
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,226 Member
    Options

Excess is bad.

THIS.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    The ones that had a lot of detention in high school.
  • plkbplkb
    Options
    Depends what your goal is. If you are strictly worried about losing weight, then there are no bad ingredients. If you are concerned about fueling your body with quality food, then anything created in a lab is probably not the best. If you are interested in feeling your absolute best, whole foods are the best. If you are interested in creating a firestorm here, just sit back and watch the thread :wink:
  • plkbplkb
    Options
    It is also interesting to look at different countries and what they have banned and what is allowed. Several EU countries have banned artificial colors, certain hormones and miscellaneous additives. The US has a fairly liberal standard of food ingredient safety. I have researched this extensively for my job - if you want some info, message me, but I am scared to post here because of the harsh words that will follow.
  • fxg20
    fxg20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Stay away from Olestra. It's a fat replacer used in low fat or fat free potato chips and french fries. They were taken off the market because they cause anal leakage. Dead serious.
    I like to generally stay away from heavy dyes in drink and stuff. Just because....ew.

Olestra was not taken off the market, it's just unpopular. The FDA determined they didn't need the warning about gastrointestinal distress anymore because that side effect is actually very rare. Many more people will face those side effects from milk than would with Olestra, but nobody freaks out about the dangers of milk. If you are lactose intolerant, you just avoid it.

I'd urge folks to give the Olestra chips a try, they taste good and have much fewer calories than regular chips. It's not impossible it will cause buttleak for you, but probably won't. (A ringing endorsement!)
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    If there is something to avoid, I would say trans fats, and the man-made fats, like crisco, margarine, olestra, hydrogenated fats/oils, etc. Best to stick with natural fats, like butter, olive oil, coconut oil, egg yolks, etc.

I would also recommend you learn a bit more about glucose. Perhaps go to Wikipedia and read what it is. Glucose is a form of sugar, and the sugar in your blood is in the form of glucose. I am on a low carb diet, which means I limit carbohydrates that most would otherwise be broken down into glucose in my body. I do this to induce ketosis metabolism, which promotes burning of fats, and to do this, I need more fat and less glucose-resultant foods. People with medical afflictions like diabetes or metabolic syndrome also reduce or control sugars and/or carbs in their diet, again to control blood sugar levels. Having said that, glucose is not a molecule to be feared in your food. It's not a toxin. Your body recognizes it, and has the biochemical mechanisms to process it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Celery is bad.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower. Especially when people are trying to make bread, pizza crusts or mashed potatoes out of it. :sick:
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'd say avoid eating anything with arsenic in it. It can make your day pretty bad.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I'd say there are a list of things you should limit or eliminate:
    Sodium Nitrate
    Partially Hydrogenated Anything
    Xylitol (laxative effect)