What ingredients are bad?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    This is simply not true. The FDA, and USDA are not reliable as organizations to supply us with "healthy" food. However, this is what they would like us to believe. Just take a look at the obese children, and heart disease is on the increase, as well as type 2 diabetes. There is some astounding evidence to suggest that they are doing what they do for monetary gain, not your health and well-being. Research folks...the info is out there, and we have the internet !

Kids aren't fat because of aspartame or other "bad ingredients." They're fat for the same reasons everyone else is fat: they eat too much.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    This is simply not true. The FDA, and USDA are not reliable as organizations to supply us with "healthy" food. However, this is what they would like us to believe. Just take a look at the obese children, and heart disease is on the increase, as well as type 2 diabetes. There is some astounding evidence to suggest that they are doing what they do for monetary gain, not your health and well-being. Research folks...the info is out there, and we have the internet !
    th?id=H.4935335230046575&pid=15.1
  • jonnythan
    Options
    BTW... "research" doesn't mean "reading blogs and for-profit websites and books."
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    All of them.

Or was it, none of them?

Sorry, I can't remember.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    You can also get skin cancer from excessive exposure to the sun but no one's telling you to stay inside and hide under your bed until night time.

Actually if you want to be rude dermatologists do recommend you have sunscreen on at all times and try to not be in the sun. On that note i'm not the one overweight so I am doing something right.

Rude!!! Where is the stupid planet fitness lunk alarm button when you need one!! This is a fitness and weight loss page!!

And I'm totally with the others on the rest. You'd have to drink over 70 cans of diet soda daily for aspartame to become a problem and all the other sugars you listed aren't any worse than glucose

You couldn't have said it better. What i said was below the belt. That said I just started using this site again and almost every post I have had responses that are pretty jerkish! This is a site for people to support, help ,and motivate you. Becuase i mentioned weight I am the jerk but responses like "go sit in a corner" and being laughed at is ok??? No! So maybe people need to learn manners of their own and if they don't have something nice to say maybe shouldn't respond to a topic I started.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Want to do real research? Look into peer reviewed studies, not some blog or "documentary" someone put out there.

If-its-on.jpg
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    There is and probably always will be controversy as to what is safe to eat and what is not. You just have to decide for yourself.

Now...for the condescending part of my post...

I avoid anything with boiled okra and cottage cheese. They are on my list of "bad" stuff.

Cheese crackers (of any type) are "good".

Oh...and anchovies...on my "bad" list.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options

:drinker:
  • jonnythan
    Options
    You can also get skin cancer from excessive exposure to the sun but no one's telling you to stay inside and hide under your bed until night time.

Actually if you want to be rude dermatologists do recommend you have sunscreen on at all times and try to not be in the sun. On that note i'm not the one overweight so I am doing something right.

Rude!!! Where is the stupid planet fitness lunk alarm button when you need one!! This is a fitness and weight loss page!!

And I'm totally with the others on the rest. You'd have to drink over 70 cans of diet soda daily for aspartame to become a problem and all the other sugars you listed aren't any worse than glucose

You couldn't have said it better. What i said was below the belt. That said I just started using this site again and almost every post I have had responses that are pretty jerkish! This is a site for people to support, help ,and motivate you. Becuase i mentioned weight I am the jerk but responses like "go sit in a corner" and being laughed at is ok??? No! So maybe people need to learn manners of their own and if they don't have something nice to say maybe shouldn't respond to a topic I started.

No one told you to sit in the corner. The poster was telling the bad ingredients to sit in the corner. Because they've been bad.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Any nutrient can be problematic if over-consumed. Eat with an eye towards variety to ensure all your nutritional needs are covered while at the same time avoiding overconsumption of any one particular nutrient.
  • jonnythan
    Options

:drinker:

This is disturbing. The responses that conform to your opinions you cheer. Responses that do not agree with your opinions are met with insults and scorn.

I hope you can see that this is illogical. Look up confirmation bias, and consider having a more open mind to listen to the extremely knowledgeable, successful people giving you advice here.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

No one told you to sit in the corner. The poster was telling the bad ingredients to sit in the corner. Because they've been bad.
    ^^this

A lot if people on this thread gave you solid advice. No food is bad in moderation.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Holy mother of baby jesus I meant to type Fructose, Sucrose, Dextrose not glucose. It was a mistake.
    So fruit is bad (fructose) and dextrose is just another word for glucose, so you didn't mean to say glucose is bad, you just meant to say glucose is bad. And since sucrose is fructose and glucose, you REALLY meant fruit is bad and glucose isn't bad but is bad.

Welp, at least we know you don't have any actual knowledge on this subject.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    Holy mother of baby jesus I meant to type Fructose, Sucrose, Dextrose not glucose. It was a mistake.
    So fruit is bad (fructose) and dextrose is just another word for glucose, so you didn't mean to say glucose is bad, you just meant to say glucose is bad. And since sucrose is fructose and glucose, you REALLY meant fruit is bad and glucose isn't bad but is bad.

Exhibit A

I was asking a question because I was not educated on the matter. I was giving examples.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    There is some astounding evidence to suggest that they are doing what they do for monetary gain, not your health and well-being.

If you are referring to the food companies then yes, of course they do what they do for monetary gain. Their business is to sell food, not worry about our health... that is our responsibility. Personal accountability...
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    In order for an ingredient to be made legal to put into our food is has to go under intensive studying and tests that can up to ten years. Researchers have found that all those funky ingredients we see on our food labels that we can barely pronounce are safe for the human body in those small amounts. The FDA wouldn't let us consume harmful ingredients in our food.

Stay away from Olestra. It's a fat replacer used in low fat or fat free potato chips and french fries. They were taken off the market because they cause anal leakage. Dead serious.
    I like to generally stay away from heavy dyes in drink and stuff. Just because....ew.

Hope that helped

Thank you. You are the only person who was not condescending in your reply.

To everyone else. Are you serious no bad ingredients? Really? You hear (at least I do) about hidden ingredients in food all the time. Please watch "starving for a change". They talk about how MSG is put in food for you to get addicted to it. Its all about making money esp off of fat people. Yes I understand how food has to be approved before selling it to people. Certain ingredients should be avoided. DUH to the answer that only in "excessive" amount. If someone is eating all processed foods and MSG is an Ingredient that is in 90% of the meals then yes that's a problem. I am only using MSG as an example. Also aspartame is extremely bad for you. Studies have shown that if used in an excessive amount can lead to many cancers. People who drink diet this and sugar free that may not know how much they are actually ingesting if the are not looking at the ingredients.

I get the impression that you do no read any actual studies. Recent studies have found aspertame to be safe.

Also, a documentary is not a study.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    There is some astounding evidence to suggest that they are doing what they do for monetary gain, not your health and well-being.

If you are referring to the food companies then yes, of course they do what they do for monetary gain. Their business is to sell food, not worry about our health... that is our responsibility. Personal accountability...

This where I was hoping this topic lead but I failed :ohwell: I was trying to get ingredients that are red flagged by nutritionists. I heard to avoid anything added that ends in "ose", MSG, etc. If it has raw mango I understand that sugar I was filtering "added sugar".
  • jonnythan
    Options

Exhibit A

I was asking a question because I was not educated on the matter. I was giving examples.

And you seem unwilling to even consider the things that contradict your preexisting opinions.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

This where I was hoping this topic lead but I failed :ohwell: I was trying to get ingredients that are red flagged by nutritionists. I heard to avoid anything added that ends in "ose", MSG, etc. If it has raw mango I understand that sugar I was filtering "added sugar".

Who did you hear this from?
  • donnihatcher
    Options
    MSG is very bad for you, stay away from that!