What ingredients are bad?

Options

Replies

• NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    It was 50mg of aspartame. That's the equivalent of 42 cans of diet soda in a 150 lb person.

Sure sounds like a reasonable basis for making sweeping generalizations to me!

:drinker:

If I tried bogarting 42 cans of soda, I'd blow up like that girl in Willie Wonka's Chocolate Factory from the carbon dioxide alone...

lol - Just hearing those numbers makes my stomach hurt. I know what you are getting at. I know people who drink so much diet soda bc of 0 calories. Yes they are not downing 42 cans but 2 liters of pop over time is def not good.

42 cans of pop is about 14.5 litres.

Wow...I would hate to be the person behind me after the carbonation passed though my gut :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    It was 50mg of aspartame. That's the equivalent of 42 cans of diet soda in a 150 lb person.

If I tried bogarting 42 cans of soda, I'd blow up like that girl in Willie Wonka's Chocolate Factory from the carbon dioxide alone...

lol - Just hearing those numbers makes my stomach hurt. I know what you are getting at. I know people who drink so much diet soda bc of 0 calories. Yes they are not downing 42 cans but 2 liters of pop over time is def not good.

Definitely not good? According to whom? Based on what evidence?

You're simply assuming a conclusion.

Well based on the evidence I just read. What evidence do you have that it would be ok?

Huh? You can't conclude that since there were some minor effects when pregnant rats get a 42-can dose of aspartame all at once every day, that it's "definitely not good" for a human to drink 6 throughout the day.

Despite thousands of studies on aspartame, none have established that reasonable amounts of it have health effects in humans.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Its not even a scary chemical. Aspartame is just two amino acids joined by a single bond. There's nothing that exciting about it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23850261

"However, accumulating evidence suggests that frequent consumers of these sugar substitutes may also be at increased risk of excessive weight gain, metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. This paper discusses these findings and considers the hypothesis that consuming sweet-tasting but noncaloric or reduced-calorie food and beverages interferes with learned responses that normally contribute to glucose and energy homeostasis."

This is what I am referring to when I am mentioning "studies" on aspartame.

Full text:

http://www.wnho.net/artificial_sweeteners_produce_counterintuitive_effect.pdf

Check out the concluding remarks. Basically, they may lead to increased consumption when eating ad lib and therefore to obesity and therefore to increased health risks. Not relevant for people tracking food unless it causes them to not be able to adhere. For many, it actually helps adherence.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options

Well based on the evidence I just read. What evidence do you have that it would be ok?

Huh? You can't conclude that since there were some minor effects when pregnant rats get a 42-can dose of aspartame all at once every day, that it's "definitely not good" for a human to drink 6 throughout the day.

Despite thousands of studies on aspartame, none have established that reasonable amounts of it have health effects in humans.

We will have to agree to disagree. We are getting nowhere. There is nothing you can say that would ever make me believe that someone who drinks 6 cans of pop a day will live a normal and healthy life.
  • fxg20
    fxg20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    "You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into."
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the guy who clarified it was the food I was putting in the corner, not the OP! :drinker:

I drank probably 4-12+ cans of diet soda for many many years and I'm pretty gosh-darned healthy. Sure, I carry extra weight, but I'm pretty sure the aspartame and ACE-K didn't hold me down and shovel nachos and cheeseburgers and fries and ice cream into my face. I did that of my own accord.

I still drink tons of water with Mio added every day, and have between 0 and 3L of diet soda a day, on average, I'd say 2.5 cans a day. I know it's not what other people would call moderation, but I don't drink, smoke, or do recreational drugs, so I'll keep my diet soda, thanks. I'm not telling anybody else they have to drink it, so I appreciate other people not telling me I can't.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

"However, accumulating evidence suggests that frequent consumers of these sugar substitutes may also be at increased risk of excessive weight gain, metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. This paper discusses these findings and considers the hypothesis that consuming sweet-tasting but noncaloric or reduced-calorie food and beverages interferes with learned responses that normally contribute to glucose and energy homeostasis."

That is saying that consumers of sugar substitutes are at risk for behavioral reasons, not directly as a result of sugar substitute consumption.

It is like saying that because you may crave real sweets as a result of artificial sweeteners and indulge as a result, that the artificial sweetener made you fat. That is simply untrue. A person can consume artificial sweeteners within a proper diet and not be at risk for any of those things.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options

Full text:

Check out the concluding remarks. Basically, they may lead to increased consumption when eating ad lib and therefore to obesity and therefore to increased health risks. Not relevant for people tracking food unless it causes them to not be able to adhere. For many, it actually helps adherence.

I creeped your page :X kudos you look great!!! Can I ask a personal question. Why do you eat clean if non of this matters? I am not being sassy I am curious.....
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    We will have to agree to disagree. We are getting nowhere. There is nothing you can say that would ever make me believe that someone who drinks 6 cans of pop a day will live a normal and healthy life.
    There is absolutely nothing abnormal or unhealthy about my life that I didn't already have to deal with before drinking a lot of soda.

But, I can see how getting 180 grams of protein per day, 5 servings of fruits and vegetables per day, and an hour of exercise per day on average (including lifting heavy, steady state and interval cardio and yoga) can be counteracted by fizzy sweet water, sure.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    Thanks to the guy who clarified it was the food I was putting in the corner, not the OP! :drinker:

I drank probably 4-12+ cans of diet soda for many many years and I'm pretty gosh-darned healthy. Sure, I carry extra weight, but I'm pretty sure the aspartame and ACE-K didn't hold me down and shovel nachos and cheeseburgers and fries and ice cream into my face. I did that of my own accord.

I still drink tons of water with Mio added every day, and have between 0 and 3L of diet soda a day, on average, I'd say 2.5 cans a day. I know it's not what other people would call moderation, but I don't drink, smoke, or do recreational drugs, so I'll keep my diet soda, thanks. I'm not telling anybody else they have to drink it, so I appreciate other people not telling me I can't.

Ugh no one told you not too. Everyone is different so good for you?
  • jonnythan
    Options

Well, you've made up your mind and no amount of fact or science can ever convince you otherwise.

You have willfully abandoned logic and reason. That's very sad.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    No ingredients are bad, including the ones you list.

Excess is bad.
    With the exceptions of trans fat, go with this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Full text:

I creeped your page :X kudos you look great!!! Can I ask a personal question. Why do you eat clean if non of this matters? I am not being sassy I am curious.....

Where did you get the impression that I ate clean?

Oh, and thank you =)
  • jonnythan
    Options
    "You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into."

That's a great quote.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options

Full text:

Whoops I didnt read your whole profile. I stopped at that sentence. My bad. Either way you look amazing so whatever your doing stick to it. Your stomach is my goal. I have never had a "flat" stomach so its unrealistic but still my goal.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Full text:

Whoops I didnt read your whole profile. I stopped at that sentence. My bad. Either way you look amazing so whatever your doing stick to it. Your stomach is my goal. I have never had a "flat" stomach so its unrealistic but still my goal.

It's entirely realistic. My stomach wasn't flat until I made it that way. Same with Sara I believe. Aspartame hasn't kept me from hitting 10% body fat, or bringing my cholesterol levels from borderline to optimal.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Its not even a scary chemical. Aspartame is just two amino acids joined by a single bond. There's nothing that exciting about it.
    Very true. 4 oz of chicken breast contain the same amount of "aspartame" as 24 cans of diet soda.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

<
    and I'm very healthy and 'normal', whatever that means :tongue:

eta: I'm another one with a flat stomach, all while drinking 4-6 cans of diet soda a day. Go figure :drinker:
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options

Full text:

It's entirely realistic. My stomach wasn't flat until I made it that way. Same with Sara I believe. Aspartame hasn't kept me from hitting 10% body fat.

Do you argue with me just to argue? I was 114 at one point. I am 5'1 and have a small torso. Its smooshed!! I am going to humor you: how did you do this? If you can make this happen I will send you a gift via email You seem like a man of principle so I think a good "you told you so" would be just as good.