What ingredients are bad?

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Oh dear...
    Thank you. You are the only person who was not condescending in your reply.
    Get out the irony meters...
    To everyone else. Are you serious no bad ingredients? Really?
    [/quote]
    You betcha, sweetheart, those folks are bang on correct, there are no "bad ingredients". In fact, glucose, which you specifically mentioned, is one of the healthiest things you can eat.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    No potty should ever look like a fiesta, IYKWIM

:laugh:

At some point, you and I, my friend, are going to have share a bottle of tequila...
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options

Thank you very much.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24159687

Check that study out - altered DNA sounds bad to me (just saying). I really appreciate the links.

I am no math whiz, can someone post the human ratio equivalent of 1mL of aspartame given daily to a pregnant, albino rat (study doesn't say what breed)? I imagine it would be something along the lines of "Dayum!"

ETA: It's a 1mL aspartame "solution", so I guess that's aspartame and water?
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Oh dear...
    Thank you. You are the only person who was not condescending in your reply.
    Get out the irony meters...
    To everyone else. Are you serious no bad ingredients? Really?
    You betcha, sweetheart, those folks are bang on correct, there are no "bad ingredients". In fact, glucose, which you specifically mentioned, is one of the healthiest things you can eat.
    [/quote]

Maybe you should read the whole post before quoting "sweetheart".
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Thank you very much.

Check that study out - altered DNA sounds bad to me (just saying). I really appreciate the links.

I am no math whiz, can someone post the human ratio equivalent of 1mL of aspartame given daily to a pregnant, albino rat (study doesn't say what breed)? I imagine it would be something along the lines of "Dayum!"

It was 50mg of aspartame. That's the equivalent of 42 cans of diet soda in a 150 lb person.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    It was 50mg of aspartame. That's the equivalent of 42 cans of diet soda in a 150 lb person.

Sure sounds like a reasonable basis for making sweeping generalizations to me!

:drinker:

If I tried bogarting 42 cans of soda, I'd blow up like that girl in Willie Wonka's Chocolate Factory from the carbon dioxide alone...
  • zyxst
    Options

Thank you very much.

Thank you! :heart: :drinker:

And to be OT: I consider "bad" ingredients the ones that can kill me outright, for example penicillin.
  • zyxst
    Options
    I'd still like to know what breed of rat is used in these studies. Go-go Google-fu!

ETA: For anyone else who cares, it's the common brown rat specifically bred for such purposes (and to sell as pets).
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23850261

"However, accumulating evidence suggests that frequent consumers of these sugar substitutes may also be at increased risk of excessive weight gain, metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. This paper discusses these findings and considers the hypothesis that consuming sweet-tasting but noncaloric or reduced-calorie food and beverages interferes with learned responses that normally contribute to glucose and energy homeostasis."

This is what I am referring to when I am mentioning "studies" on aspartame.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    I'd still like to know what breed of rat is used in these studies. Go-go Google-fu!
    Ask, and you shall receive...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laboratory_rat#Stocks_and_strains
  • jonnythan
    Options

"However, accumulating evidence suggests that frequent consumers of these sugar substitutes may also be at increased risk of excessive weight gain, metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. This paper discusses these findings and considers the hypothesis that consuming sweet-tasting but noncaloric or reduced-calorie food and beverages interferes with learned responses that normally contribute to glucose and energy homeostasis."

Those are diseases of obesity. It's not aspartame causing the problems, it's excessive calorie intake and sedentary lifestyle.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options

If I tried bogarting 42 cans of soda, I'd blow up like that girl in Willie Wonka's Chocolate Factory from the carbon dioxide alone...

lol - Just hearing those numbers makes my stomach hurt. I know what you are getting at. I know people who drink so much diet soda bc of 0 calories. Yes they are not downing 42 cans but 2 liters of pop over time is def not good.
  • zyxst
    Options
    Ask, and you shall receive...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laboratory_rat#Stocks_and_strains

Have a cookie for your kindness:
    sugar-cookies.jpg
  • fxg20
    fxg20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    "Yes they are not downing 42 cans but 2 liters of pop over time is def not good."

The acid may be bad for your teeth, but that's about it.
  • jonnythan
    Options

lol - Just hearing those numbers makes my stomach hurt. I know what you are getting at. I know people who drink so much diet soda bc of 0 calories. Yes they are not downing 42 cans but 2 liters of pop over time is def not good.

Definitely not good? According to whom? Based on what evidence?

You're simply assuming a conclusion.
  • zyxst
    Options

42 cans of pop is about 14.5 litres.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

One major problem about what you just listed. If aspartame increases the risk of type 2...then why is it suggested by doctor's as an alternative to sugar for type 2 diabetes. Just a thought.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options

Definitely not good? According to whom? Based on what evidence?

You're simply assuming a conclusion.

Well based on the evidence I just read. What evidence do you have that it would be ok?
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

Wow...I would hate to be the person behind me after the carbonation passed though my gut :laugh:
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options

Typo: 2 liters a day over a period of years is what i meant.