What ingredients are bad?

Options

Replies

• NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    In order for an ingredient to be made legal to put into our food is has to go under intensive studying and tests that can up to ten years. Researchers have found that all those funky ingredients we see on our food labels that we can barely pronounce are safe for the human body in those small amounts. The FDA wouldn't let us consume harmful ingredients in our food.

Stay away from Olestra. It's a fat replacer used in low fat or fat free potato chips and french fries. They were taken off the market because they cause anal leakage. Dead serious.
    I like to generally stay away from heavy dyes in drink and stuff. Just because....ew.

Hope that helped

Thank you. You are the only person who was not condescending in your reply.

To everyone else. Are you serious no bad ingredients? Really? You hear (at least I do) about hidden ingredients in food all the time. Please watch "starving for a change". They talk about how MSG is put in food for you to get addicted to it. Its all about making money esp off of fat people. Yes I understand how food has to be approved before selling it to people. Certain ingredients should be avoided. DUH to the answer that only in "excessive" amount. If someone is eating all processed foods and MSG is an Ingredient that is in 90% of the meals then yes that's a problem. I am only using MSG as an example. Also aspartame is extremely bad for you. Studies have shown that if used in an excessive amount can lead to many cancers. People who drink diet this and sugar free that may not know how much they are actually ingesting if the are not looking at the ingredients.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    Holy mother of baby jesus I meant to type Fructose, Sucrose, Dextrose not glucose. It was a mistake.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    You can also get skin cancer from excessive exposure to the sun but no one's telling you to stay inside and hide under your bed until night time.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Glucose can be 'bad'. It is for me as it does my head in and I find it addictive. A lot of people don't have a problem with it though so that is the reason for them it isn't bad. In general though I would agree most foods are not bad , just hit your macros and you will be find no matter what you eat. I agree with you that there are some things which I wouldn't want to eat - like trans fats. I am sure there are plenty junk things that i wouldn't want to eat - like some food colors etc.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid trans fats. If I was allergic to things, I'd try to avoid those things. I can't think of anything other ingredients I'd consider bad though.

^^yep.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Most people on here only care about calories and macros. Many users feel that cutting out certain foods/demonizing ingredients or food groups/labeling food as good and bad is the reason most dieters set themselves up for failure, which is certainly the case for some. You don't want to do anything to make yourself feel deprived or you won't succeed in accomplishing your health and fitness goals.

However, I'm cutting down on processed foods for health reasons as well. I'm trying to only consume ingredients I would use in my own cooking and baking. I'm not too strict about it and I don't feel deprived at all. I recommend the website/app Fooducate, which assesses packaged foods you scan/search for and gives an explanation of ingredients you may be/should be wary about.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    In order for an ingredient to be made legal to put into our food is has to go under intensive studying and tests that can up to ten years. Researchers have found that all those funky ingredients we see on our food labels that we can barely pronounce are safe for the human body in those small amounts. The FDA wouldn't let us consume harmful ingredients in our food.

Stay away from Olestra. It's a fat replacer used in low fat or fat free potato chips and french fries. They were taken off the market because they cause anal leakage. Dead serious.
    I like to generally stay away from heavy dyes in drink and stuff. Just because....ew.

Hope that helped

To everyone else. Are you serious no bad ingredients? Really? You hear (at least I do) about hidden ingredients in food all the time. Please watch "starving for a change". They talk about how MSG is put in food for you to get addicted to it. Its all about making money esp off of fat people. Yes I understand how food has to be approved before selling it to people. Certain ingredients should be avoided. DUH to the answer that only in "excessive" amount. If someone is eating all processed foods and MSG is an Ingredient that is in 90% of the meals then yes that's a problem. I am only using MSG as an example. Also aspartame is extremely bad for you. Studies have shown that if used in an excessive amount can lead to many cancers. People who drink diet this and sugar free that may not know how much they are actually ingesting if the are not looking at the ingredients.

:huh:
  • fxg20
    fxg20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The available evidence does not suggest that aspartame causes cancer.

FDA: Considering results from the large number of studies on aspartame's safety, including five previously conducted negative chronic carcinogenicity studies, a recently reported large epidemiology study with negative associations between the use of aspartame and the occurrence of tumors, and negative findings from a series of three transgenic mouse assays, FDA finds no reason to alter its previous conclusion that aspartame is safe as a general purpose sweetener in food.

EFSA: Overall, the Panel concluded, on the basis of all the evidence currently available… that there is no indication of any genotoxic or carcinogenic potential of aspartame and that there is no reason to revise the previously established ADI for aspartame of 40 mg/kg [body weight].

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/aspartame

Both agencies have also approved MSG based on looking at the totality of the evidence. They are both safe products.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    OP was looking for someone to confirm her existing beliefs. She's not open to learning things that might contradict expectations.

Too bad.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Sprouts.

Sprouts are really bad.

Don't touch sprouts.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    You can also get skin cancer from excessive exposure to the sun but no one's telling you to stay inside and hide under your bed until night time.

Actually if you want to be rude dermatologists do recommend you have sunscreen on at all times and try to not be in the sun. On that note i'm not the one overweight so I am doing something right.

Rude!!! Where is the stupid planet fitness lunk alarm button when you need one!! This is a fitness and weight loss page!!

And I'm totally with the others on the rest. You'd have to drink over 70 cans of diet soda daily for aspartame to become a problem and all the other sugars you listed aren't any worse than glucose
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Arsenic, cyanide, bleach, selenium (pretty well all the heavy metals), borox. Really most cleaning supplies and industrial chemicals. If it has a MSDS, you should probably research it really well before adding it to your food.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

I was not condescending. I gave an honest, direct and straightforward response to your question.

Not getting the response you wanted or expected is not the same as condescending.

I don't appreciate being called condescending.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Actually if you want to be rude dermatologists do recommend you have sunscreen on at all times and try to not be in the sun. On that note i'm not the one overweight so I am doing something right.

Wow. That was incredibly rude and insulting.
  • Starz4Lynn
    Options

Hope that helped
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower. Especially when people are trying to make bread, pizza crusts or mashed potatoes out of it. :sick:

I believe that mentioning cauliflower is against the MFP rules

Main Community Guidelines

1. Do not mention cauliflower
    2. Do not mention cauliflower
    3. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation
    4. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting
    5. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders
    6. Show Respect to All Groups and Individuals
    7. No Public Posting of Private Conversations
    8. No Intentionally Hurtful Posts
    9. Do Not Publish Private Contact Information
    10. Posts Must Abide By All Legal Statutes
    11. Do Not Post the Same Topic on Multiple Boards or Groups
    12. Multiple Accounts Are Not Allowed
    13. No Airing of Grievances With Moderators
    14. No Profane, Vulgar, Sexually Explicit or Illegal Images
    15. Violation of These Guidelines May Lead to Disciplinary Action
    16. No Advertising, Self-Promotion, or Fund-Raising
    17. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums
    18. No Political Topics in the Main Forums
    19. No Profane, Vulgar, or Sexually Explicit Language
    20. Please Post In English On The Main Forums
    21. Three Strikes and You Are Out
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

Wow. That was incredibly rude and insulting.

I have a strange taste in my mouth. A kind of tinny taste. No wait, that's wrong. It's iron. Definitely irony.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    Most people on here only care about calories and macros. Many users feel that cutting out certain foods/demonizing ingredients or food groups/labeling food as good and bad is the reason most dieters set themselves up for failure, which is certainly the case for some. You don't want to do anything to make yourself feel deprived or you won't succeed in accomplishing your health and fitness goals.

However, I'm cutting down on processed foods for health reasons as well. I'm trying to only consume ingredients I would use in my own cooking and baking. I'm not too strict about it and I don't feel deprived at all. I recommend the website/app Fooducate, which assesses packaged foods you scan/search for and gives an explanation of ingredients you may be/should be wary about.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Thank you for the web site. I have been eating foods that have very little ingredients or ingredients that I know. I like where your head is at "trying to only consume ingredients I would use in my own cooking and baking".
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    Cauliflower. Especially when people are trying to make bread, pizza crusts or mashed potatoes out of it. :sick:

I believe that mentioning cauliflower is against the MFP rules

Main Community Guidelines

1. Do not mention cauliflower
    2. Do not mention cauliflower
    3. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation
    4. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting
    5. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders
    6. Show Respect to All Groups and Individuals
    7. No Public Posting of Private Conversations
    8. No Intentionally Hurtful Posts
    9. Do Not Publish Private Contact Information
    10. Posts Must Abide By All Legal Statutes
    11. Do Not Post the Same Topic on Multiple Boards or Groups
    12. Multiple Accounts Are Not Allowed
    13. No Airing of Grievances With Moderators
    14. No Profane, Vulgar, Sexually Explicit or Illegal Images
    15. Violation of These Guidelines May Lead to Disciplinary Action
    16. No Advertising, Self-Promotion, or Fund-Raising
    17. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums
    18. No Political Topics in the Main Forums
    19. No Profane, Vulgar, or Sexually Explicit Language
    20. Please Post In English On The Main Forums
    21. Three Strikes and You Are Out

You missed

22. Never challenge a member's preconceived notion of healthy food.
  • Starz4Lynn
    Options
    This is simply not true. The FDA, and USDA are not reliable as organizations to supply us with "healthy" food. However, this is what they would like us to believe. Just take a look at the obese children, and heart disease is on the increase, as well as type 2 diabetes. There is some astounding evidence to suggest that they are doing what they do for monetary gain, not your health and well-being. Research folks...the info is out there, and we have the internet !