What ingredients are bad?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    There is some astounding evidence to suggest that they are doing what they do for monetary gain, not your health and well-being.

If you are referring to the food companies then yes, of course they do what they do for monetary gain. Their business is to sell food, not worry about our health... that is our responsibility. Personal accountability...

This where I was hoping this topic lead but I failed :ohwell: I was trying to get ingredients that are red flagged by nutritionists. I heard to avoid anything added that ends in "ose", MSG, etc. If it has raw mango I understand that sugar I was filtering "added sugar".

Just because you heard it doesn't mean it's good.

There are no bad ingredients except maybe trans fat. Don't focus on things that don't matter. Focus on macro and calorie goals because those actually do matter.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    There is some astounding evidence to suggest that they are doing what they do for monetary gain, not your health and well-being.

If you are referring to the food companies then yes, of course they do what they do for monetary gain. Their business is to sell food, not worry about our health... that is our responsibility. Personal accountability...

This where I was hoping this topic lead but I failed :ohwell: I was trying to get ingredients that are red flagged by nutritionists. I heard to avoid anything added that ends in "ose", MSG, etc. If it has raw mango I understand that sugar I was filtering "added sugar".

Many foods that need to be avoided only apply to specific populations. Certain people have adverse affects to consuming foods. For the general population, it's not so much an issue.

I disagree with many in the thread that moderation is key. Certain things like trans fats, sodium nitrate, etc. have very low thresholds to become unsafe. Whether or not the science 100% confirms this is besides the point as it's better to err on the side of caution.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    MSG is very bad for you, stay away from that!

No it is not.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    According to studies, there are tons of toxic compounds in drinking water. Even bottled water contains these toxins.

Vodka, however, is safe and (unless you buy a flavored variety) contains no added sugar and no trans fats.

Sometimes I soak non-GMO, organic, heirloom celery in it to stave off cravings.

ETA: because I'm cautious.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    According to studies, there are tons of toxic compounds in drinking water. Even bottled water contains these toxins.

Vodka, however, is safe and (unless you buy a flavored variety) contains no added sugar and no trans fats.

You brand Vodka to the topic 0 I like it :) lol jk :drinker:
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Well I avoid coffee and cinnamon because they taste disgusting (IMO). I also avoid dairy because I'm lactose intolerant, and beef because it makes me sick. MSG gives me migraines so I avoid that too.

"Bad foods" to me are ones that I find yucky - celery, tomatoes, raw onion, cucumber etc.

I realize this probably isn't what you're asking but to me there aren't any "bad" or "good" foods. Just foods I enjoy and foods I do not.
  • fxg20
    fxg20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    MFP, have you never wondered why I drink only distilled water, or rainwater, and only pure-grain alcohol?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You can also get skin cancer from excessive exposure to the sun but no one's telling you to stay inside and hide under your bed until night time.

Actually if you want to be rude dermatologists do recommend you have sunscreen on at all times and try to not be in the sun. On that note i'm not the one overweight so I am doing something right.

Your logic is astounding......astoundingly bad that is. Plus, what was that about rude?
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    In order for an ingredient to be made legal to put into our food is has to go under intensive studying and tests that can up to ten years. Researchers have found that all those funky ingredients we see on our food labels that we can barely pronounce are safe for the human body in those small amounts. The FDA wouldn't let us consume harmful ingredients in our food.

Stay away from Olestra. It's a fat replacer used in low fat or fat free potato chips and french fries. They were taken off the market because they cause anal leakage. Dead serious.
    I like to generally stay away from heavy dyes in drink and stuff. Just because....ew.

Hope that helped

Thank you. You are the only person who was not condescending in your reply.

To everyone else. Are you serious no bad ingredients? Really? You hear (at least I do) about hidden ingredients in food all the time. Please watch "starving for a change". They talk about how MSG is put in food for you to get addicted to it. Its all about making money esp off of fat people. Yes I understand how food has to be approved before selling it to people. Certain ingredients should be avoided. DUH to the answer that only in "excessive" amount. If someone is eating all processed foods and MSG is an Ingredient that is in 90% of the meals then yes that's a problem. I am only using MSG as an example. Also aspartame is extremely bad for you. Studies have shown that if used in an excessive amount can lead to many cancers. People who drink diet this and sugar free that may not know how much they are actually ingesting if the are not looking at the ingredients.

I get the impression that you do no read any actual studies. Recent studies have found aspertame to be safe.

Also, a documentary is not a study.

Obviously my knowledge of this topic is inferior; so if you could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. Where should I find the studies you read?
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If you do a lot of your own cooking, you can minimize the types of ingredients that people usually refer to as bad. It's possible to buy some premade products, but they tend to be very expensive and go bad much more quickly.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
  • DamePiglet
    Options

Lol I'm glad you can appreciate my silliness.

Okay, please read this as I intend it... No smugness or nastiness...
    My FITNESS Pal is about calorie / macro counting and exercise. While some people have decided to pursue specialized diets, most of us are here for fitness reasons, not... Well, whatever it is you're seeking.

People were kinda smug with you because you're in the wrong place. Good luck.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    Without getting into all the drama on this thread, OP, I don't consider any food to be necessarily "bad" but I do avoid eating Red Dye #40 (although I color icing with it & use it in Red Velvet Cake) and I personally try to avoid eating High Fructose Corn Syrup just because the corn manufacturer's pissed me off by putting it in everything :laugh: ...but on the flip side, I also use HFCS in my caking.:huh: :wink:

:smile:

Other foods that would be considered "bad" is any allergy-driven, like the vapor of mega-hot peppers causing constrictive airway. And then the ones that just make me gag....like okra, or asparagus.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options

ETA: because I'm cautious.

Minus the celery soak, now you know how I make my luscious Vanilla! :bigsmile: Good ol' fashioned cheap a** rot gut & Madagascar Vanilla Beans! :love: :laugh:
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    Without getting into all the drama on this thread, OP, I don't consider any food to be necessarily "bad" but I do avoid eating Red Dye #40 (although I color icing with it & use it in Red Velvet Cake) and I personally try to avoid eating High Fructose Corn Syrup just because the corn manufacturer's pissed me off by putting it in everything :laugh: ...but on the flip side, I also use HFCS in my caking.:huh: :wink:

:smile:

Other foods that would be considered "bad" is any allergy-driven, like the vapor of mega-hot peppers causing constrictive airway. And then the ones that just make me gag....like okra, or asparagus.

Like someone else posted WAYYY up, I also avoid heavily dyed foods. No potty should ever look like a fiesta, IYKWIM
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    No ingredients are bad, including the ones you list.

Excess is bad.
    This. There are ingredients that might be bad for you AS AN INDIVIDUAL due to your own personal medical issues but as long as you're not cooking with arsenic, it's really more about being moderate in your intake. More calories out than in...
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options

Lol I'm glad you can appreciate my silliness.

Okay, please read this as I intend it... No smugness or nastiness...
    My FITNESS Pal is about calorie / macro counting and exercise. While some people have decided to pursue specialized diets, most of us are here for fitness reasons, not... Well, whatever it is you're seeking.

People were kinda smug with you because you're in the wrong place. Good luck.

i understand what you are saying.I do have the same goal. I am here to loose weight and be fit. So I am in the right place. I want to learn and be educated. I use to know so much about nutrition years ago. I am trying to get it back and make good choices in my everyday life. Not just cut calories every other week (what I have been doing).
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options

Thank you very much.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24159687

Check that study out - altered DNA sounds bad to me (just saying). I really appreciate the links.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I think my list of **** i won't put into my body would be far too long.
    but if its made in a lab i wouldn't eat it
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Arsenic, cyanide, bleach, selenium (pretty well all the heavy metals), borox. Really most cleaning supplies and industrial chemicals. If it has a MSDS, you should probably research it really well before adding it to your food.

/thread

Well played, sir...