Texting in Movie Theater

Options

Replies

• Jgal8123
    Jgal8123 Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    The shooter initially got up from his seat to complain to management. At that point, he had the choice to avoid the confrontation altogether by moving to a different seat. Maybe it was the cop mentality or more likely because he knew he was carrying a weapon, he chose instead to re-engage and escalate the confrontation. In my opinion, that choice made him the aggressor and he should be prosecuted as such.

But hey, it's Florida, maybe instead he can throw a get out of jail party with Casey Anthony and George Zimmerman...
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Exactly , I am not condoning the behavior I am just advocating we all need to be a little more tolerant.
    +1
  • Jgal8123
    Jgal8123 Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    This is less of a gun or cell phone issue, than it is about ego and self righteousness. To bad basic manners weren't exercised on both sides, there were several opportunities to disengage for a different outcome. Both sides lose, with one side bearing the ultimate cost.

This thread is so ironic, condoning wrong behavior with wrong behavior, asking for common courtesy without giving it in the reply .... I think I know why, probably because they are they ones that are "right".

Where is our collective tolerance and where is our common courtesy?

well said
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    The third paragraph is pathetic.

Curtis Reeves told Pasco County authorities that he fired his .380 semi-automatic handgun in a movie theater Monday afternoon at a man with whom he'd been arguing because Reeves was upset that the man was texting on his cellphone as previews ran.

The victim, Chad Oulson, 43, was killed and his wife was wounded.

Reeves' attorney, Richard Escobar, argued that because Reeves has lived in the area for many years, has a wife and two children and a grandchild, worked in law enforcement and security, attends church and Bible study, and has ailments such as arthritis and bursitis, he should be given bond. The courtroom was filled with Reeves' former colleagues and family members who could speak to his client's "great character," Escobar said, adding that Reeves has "no propensity toward violence."

The attorney tried to persuade Circuit Judge Lynn Tepper that the former police officer was actually the victim in the incident and that Oulson was the "aggressor."

Tepper said there was no evidence to support that claim, according to a probable cause affidavit. She denied bond and ruled that Reeves should face the second-degree murder charge. She also said that if Reeves wanted to forgo appearing in person in court again, he and his attorney would have to get permission to do so by another judge who will handle the case.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I honestly could care less "why" he shot the guy. The fact that he got mad enough to shoot him in a theater where there were other people including kids, disturbs me. A life is more important than a dag on light from a cell phone. If he was that upset than he should have told management. We excuse dangerous behavior because we feel we can relate but the truth of the matter is it should not have made him that mad, and the fact that it did means perhaps he should have waited for the movie to be released on dvd and watched it at home.

According to the news reports, the shooter did exit the theater and returned a few minutes later alone, looking grumpy. The texter then engaged him, asking if he reported him to mgmt for texting, and an altercation ensued. The texter then allegedly threw his popcorn at the shooter, at which point the shooter drew his gun and fired.

Now, should you shoot someone over something like that? Absolutely not. But you also shouldn't escalate an incident because someone asked you to put away your phone in a place you're not supposed to be using it anyway. Perhaps both parties should have stayed home and waited for the DVD as neither one seemed to have any idea how to behave in public.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    As soon as I enter a movie theatre I turn off my phone and keep it off until the movie is over. If you need to keep in contact with someone then maybe you should just stay home where you'll be more accessible and not interrupt others.

Good advice, but make sure your gun has a bullet in the chamber so you can start shooting as soon as someone else does something that annoys you.

I'm shocked at the amount of people on this thread that think they need to take a gun to a movie theatre. They are part of the problem.

I think I am the only one. Your post is ridiculous of course. As I posted earlier, your phone has killed as many people as my gun, and no one has ever seen it at the theatre. Can the same be said for your phone? And btw, I have a permit and have never seen a "no gun" notice at the theatre's I attend. Please save your politics for an appropriate opportunity.

This from the same person who takes her children and her gun to a theatre? What could possibly go wrong here?
    You are proud to be an American but frightened of everyone in your neighborhood to the point where you need a gun everywhere you go...to the dentist, to the daycare, to your Moms house etc.. Going to the park with my kids...stroller? check! diapers? check! loaded gun? check!

Having a permit does not mean you are making compotent choices. Im sure the guy in the movie theatre had a permit too and he murdered someone.

Personally, my phone has never killed anyone. Stop telling lies to prove your point. Lets compare how many people die from cell phones vs. guns world wide. Would anyone have died in this movie theatre situation if no one had a gun? Very unlikely.
  • retrobyte
    retrobyte Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Unless the gun has a silencer fitted, I'd rather kill the cinema texter in a quieter manner that doesn't disturb other patrons.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    This is less of a gun or cell phone issue, than it is about ego and self righteousness. To bad basic manners weren't exercised on both sides, there were several opportunities to disengage for a different outcome. Both sides lose, with one side bearing the ultimate cost.

This thread is so ironic, condoning wrong behavior with wrong behavior, asking for common courtesy without giving it in the reply .... I think I know why, probably because they are they ones that are "right".

Where is our collective tolerance and where is our common courtesy?
    Nicely put.
  • zazieinedinburgh
    Options
    One time I went on a date to the cinema and my date said "oh do you want a coke or an ice-cream or something? I forgot to ask before". An older guy behind us said "Shh" in much louder voice than my date spoke in. And I thought that guy was massively over-reacting.

Still alive today though. Oh right. Carrying a gun isn't an inalienable human right in the UK. My lucky break huh.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Are you serious!!!! :noway:
    I gotta Google that news story.

I don't do it but I don't think it warrants someone getting shot.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    As soon as I enter a movie theatre I turn off my phone and keep it off until the movie is over. If you need to keep in contact with someone then maybe you should just stay home where you'll be more accessible and not interrupt others.

Good advice, but make sure your gun has a bullet in the chamber so you can start shooting as soon as someone else does something that annoys you.

I'm shocked at the amount of people on this thread that think they need to take a gun to a movie theatre. They are part of the problem.

I think I am the only one. Your post is ridiculous of course. As I posted earlier, your phone has killed as many people as my gun, and no one has ever seen it at the theatre. Can the same be said for your phone? And btw, I have a permit and have never seen a "no gun" notice at the theatre's I attend. Please save your politics for an appropriate opportunity.

This from the same person who takes her children and her gun to a theatre? What could possibly go wrong here?
    You are proud to be an American but frightened of everyone in your neighborhood to the point where you need a gun everywhere you go...to the dentist, to the daycare, to your Moms house etc.. Going to the park with my kids...stroller? check! diapers? check! loaded gun? check!

Having a permit does not mean you are making compotent choices. Im sure the guy in the movie theatre had a permit too and he murdered someone.

Personally, my phone has never killed anyone. Stop telling lies to prove your point. Lets compare how many people die from cell phones vs. guns world wide. Would anyone have died in this movie theatre situation if no one had a gun? Very unlikely.

Dude, you may want to go reread all of my posts in this thread AND my profile. You are making yourself look silly.
  • jabarih
    jabarih Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm every going to the movies again! Too many people getting killed there!! So to answer your question, I would remove myself....:)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The third paragraph is pathetic.

Curtis Reeves told Pasco County authorities that he fired his .380 semi-automatic handgun in a movie theater Monday afternoon at a man with whom he'd been arguing because Reeves was upset that the man was texting on his cellphone as previews ran.

The victim, Chad Oulson, 43, was killed and his wife was wounded.

Reeves' attorney, Richard Escobar, argued that because Reeves has lived in the area for many years, has a wife and two children and a grandchild, worked in law enforcement and security, attends church and Bible study, and has ailments such as arthritis and bursitis, he should be given bond. The courtroom was filled with Reeves' former colleagues and family members who could speak to his client's "great character," Escobar said, adding that Reeves has "no propensity toward violence."

The attorney tried to persuade Circuit Judge Lynn Tepper that the former police officer was actually the victim in the incident and that Oulson was the "aggressor."

Tepper said there was no evidence to support that claim, according to a probable cause affidavit. She denied bond and ruled that Reeves should face the second-degree murder charge. She also said that if Reeves wanted to forgo appearing in person in court again, he and his attorney would have to get permission to do so by another judge who will handle the case.
    Eh. The third paragraph is just explaining the attorney's reasoning for why his client should get bond and not held pending trial -- ties to the community, not a flight risk, etc. I don't have an issue with it.

However, I think his having been in law enforcement, he should be held to a higher standard. He should have been able to handle a situation like this better. Police officers are trained to be calm in tense situations and not react rashly. Throwing popcorn is not deadly force. His claim that he felt threatened enough to shoot the guy is absurd.

On another note --

Went to see Lone Survivor yesterday. A good way into the previews, a couple came into the nearly empty theater and sat almost right in front of us. The woman didn't text, but she pulled out her phone I guess to turn the volume down, but of course the light came on (considering they were late, it would have made more sense to do this outside the theater), but whatever. It was only a second. HOWEVER, they then proceeded to have a conversation all the way up to the start of the movie amd the man was talking so loud I could hear him over the movie speakers (which, let's face it, are not quiet). And he was gesturing a lot, which is also distracting.

At the end of the movie, they show photos of all the men involved in the incident with their names and ages and it's very somber and these jerks had the nerve to get up and leave. Not exactly rude, but shows how little respect they have in general and their behavior in the beginning of the movie followed by that shows the character of people who text in movie theaters. They don't care about anyone but themselves.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    yeah. i saw that on the news yesterday evening. dude who killed the guy was a retired sheriff or something too.

i've texted in a movie theater on occasion, but i don't make it habit, nor do i do it continuously. i don't think it's a big deal personally. it makes no noise, and causes minimal light.
  • rml_16
    Options
    As long as I am not making any noise and my device is not lighting up the whole theater because it's on high beam; I do not deserve to be shot at. No one deserves a death sentence for it. End of story.

If I need to talk and carry on a conversation, then I will go outside otherwise I will utilize my device as I see fit anywhere. Not using your device in a theater is all about courtesy only. Until its against the law... shoot at me if you want to...:smokin:
    So you need someone to make a law in order for you to not act like a jerk to other people?

Nice attitude.
  • Jhillian
    Jhillian Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I keep my phone on vibrate during the movies, I have small children who are being babysat so I like to be available.. More than once I've gotten a call and yes I've left the theatre to take it.. Not to mention I have already lost one child so I have a hard time being away from them in the first place.. But hey even us moms need some away time too right? But yeah if a phone was beeping away and a movie was playing that is irritating but so are people who talk through an entire movie that bugs me even more.. I am very saddened about this incident I'd be interested to hear more about the story..
  • rml_16
    Options
    Exactly , I am not condoning the behavior I am just advocating we all need to be a little more tolerant.
    Why do we have to be tolerant of rudeness? Why can't people be a little more courteous and realize they are not the only human beings on the planet and their behavior affects others?

I will never tolerate rudeness.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I keep my phone on vibrate during the movies, I have small children who are being babysat so I like to be available.. More than once I've gotten a call and yes I've left the theatre to take it.. Not to mention I have already lost one child so I have a hard time being away from them in the first place.. But hey even us moms need some away time too right? But yeah if a phone was beeping away and a movie was playing that is irritating but so are people who talk through an entire movie that bugs me even more.. I am very saddened about this incident I'd be interested to hear more about the story..

I feel similarly about having the phone on vibrate during a movie as I have also lost a child. Sorry for your loss.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Seriously, how hard is it to understand that just because something doesn't bother YOU, it still might bother others and you should therefor be considerate of their feelings and not do it?

Eating lunch while discussing animal vivisections in graphic detail doesn't bother me in the least (hell, eating luch while doing the vivisection doesn't bother me), but out of consideration for the other patrons, I don't do this while out at a restraunt.

Cussing loudly like a sailor doesn't bother me in the least, but out of consideration for those with small children, when in a public area I refrain and will smack my husband for it if he's not paying attention.

Being considerate isn't about what YOU find annoying or inappropriate.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Seriously, how hard is it to understand that just because something doesn't bother YOU, it still might bother others and you should therefor be considerate of their feelings and not do it?

Apparently, the vast majority of people can't see past their own noses.