Texting in Movie Theater

Options

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I take it you're one of those rude people who needs someone to tell her to cut it out. You're awfully defensive if not.

Nah, I'm actually pretty easy going, and quite polite. The enraged anger in this thread is amusing me. So over the top. I can't imagine getting in someone's face, physically or verbally, over something as benign as a text.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I take it you're one of those rude people who needs someone to tell her to cut it out. You're awfully defensive if not.

Nah, I'm actually pretty easy going, and quite polite. The enraged anger in this thread is amusing me. So over the top. I can't imagine getting in someone's face, physically or verbally, over something as benign as a text.
    No one's getting in anyone's face. And the anger is over the rampant lack of any kind of manners that's becoming more and more the norm these days.

I've been going to movies for more than 30 years, but it's only in the last five or so that people have started bringing their small children in almost every movie I attend and then letting them scream and run around the entire time. It is only since cell phones became so common that this issue has come up though back when people talking loudly was the bigger issue, no one ever hesitated to shush them. Did you have a problem with someone asking someone who was being loud to be quiet back then? Cell phone use is the same. A light (dimmed or not) in the middle of an otherwise dark theater is extremely distracting and annoying. As much as someone talking loudly.

And I have more than once witnessed a person actually answer a call and have a conversation on the phone in the middle of a movie. It wasn't an emergency, either.
  • KingOfThoseWhoKnow
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Texting in a movie is not polite at all. It's not "enraged anger "if you ask someone to stop texting who is interrupting a movie when they shouldn't be? That's extremely defensive behavior.

The fact of the matter is that it is not "benign" given the circumstance, this is the part people don't understand. You're doing something you have no right to and shouldn't be doing anyway, not to mention that the actual act of texting in a movie is extremely bad practice. The circumstance makes it not benign, 100%

No one is being over the top, telling someone to stop when they interrupt you is completely natural. Texting in the movies? NOW, that's over the top
  • supremelady
    supremelady Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If the rule at the movie theater is turn off your phone, then if you want to see a movie there, you need to obey the rules. Plain and simple. Management has a right to kick you out if you don't.

Someone else was wondering why so many people feel the rules don't apply to them. I'm wondering the same thing.

If the rule at the movie theater is no concealed weapons why would you have a gun at the movie theater?
  • KingOfThoseWhoKnow
    Options
    If the rule at the movie theater is no concealed weapons why would you have a gun at the movie theater?

I have no idea how it works in America but aren't people allowed to carry weapons on them, like a handgun? If so, there's nothing stopping him bringing that anywhere. AFAIK there has been other shootings at movies before, maybe in time it will become a thing where movie theaters will have metal detectors, but then again like I said, there's no reason to because if someone is going to shoot someone, they wouldn't limit it to just in the movies. That was a specific situational occurrence
  • supremelady
    Options
    I honestly could care less "why" he shot the guy. The fact that he got mad enough to shoot him in a theater where there were other people including kids, disturbs me. A life is more important than a dag on light from a cell phone. If he was that upset than he should have told management. We excuse dangerous behavior because we feel we can relate but the truth of the matter is it should not have made him that mad, and the fact that it did means perhaps he should have waited for the movie to be released on dvd and watched it at home.

According to the news reports, the shooter did exit the theater and returned a few minutes later alone, looking grumpy. The texter then engaged him, asking if he reported him to mgmt for texting, and an altercation ensued. The texter then allegedly threw his popcorn at the shooter, at which point the shooter drew his gun and fired.

Now, should you shoot someone over something like that? Absolutely not. But you also shouldn't escalate an incident because someone asked you to put away your phone in a place you're not supposed to be using it anyway. Perhaps both parties should have stayed home and waited for the DVD as neither one seemed to have any idea how to behave in public.

Popcorn verses a gun ummm i'm going to say that he over reacted. They both were wrong but i would think at 70 and a retired cop that you have some sort of self control or have learned how to deal with hostile situations. A life is gone all over a cell phone, to me this situation got way to out of hand and again their were other people in the theater. Suppose one of them would have got shot? then what?
  • rml_16
    Options

A reminder of the actual question the OP asked:
    So, the question is.....if you are going to text or use your phone at the movie theater. Shouldn't you remove yourself to the lobby as to not to irritate the other patrons?

No one thinks what the shooter did was OK. But that wasn't the issue in the OP.
  • rml_16
    Options

I have no idea how it works in America but aren't people allowed to carry weapons on them, like a handgun? If so, there's nothing stopping him bringing that anywhere. AFAIK there has been other shootings at movies before, maybe in time it will become a thing where movie theaters will have metal detectors, but then again like I said, there's no reason to because if someone is going to shoot someone, they wouldn't limit it to just in the movies. That was a specific situational occurrence
    There are certain laws about it and private businesses can restrict them on their own property. Even if you have a concealed weapons permit, if the theater says, "No guns," you can't bring your gun in there. Or I guess you can if no one knows about it. But you can be thrown out or possibly arrested for doing so.
  • supremelady
    Options

So, the question is.....if you are going to text or use your phone at the movie theater. Shouldn't you remove yourself to the lobby as to not to irritate the other patrons?

I know what the OP asked and i answered the way i wanted to back on page 8. My response that you quoted was to a direct post in this thread also located on page 8. thank you.
  • rml_16
    Options

I know what the OP asked and i answered the way i wanted to back on page 8. My response that you quoted was to a direct post in this thread also located on page 8. thank you.
    I read the post to which you replied. It didn't mention guns.
  • supremelady
    Options

i know what the post said, she asked if the theater says no cell phones then why bring it and i said if the movie theater said no guns why bring it? sorry if you don't understand my reply
  • rml_16
    Options

i know what the post said, she asked if the theater says no cell phones then why bring it and i said if the movie theater said no guns why bring it? sorry if you don't understand my reply
    I understand your reply. The OP's question was about cell phones, not guns. The poster you quoted answered the OP's question. You're trying to start an argument over something no one said. No one thinks what happened was OK. That wasn't the question and isn't the issue being addressed by either the OP or the quoted poster.

The quoted poster asked why people couldn't obey the no cell phone use law and instead of answering that question or giving an opinion on it, you answered with a question to change the subject. I can only assume this is because you like to use your cell phone during movies and want to avert attention from your rude behavior with a straw man argument.

Also, your reply on page 8 doesn't address the OP's question, either.
  • summertime_girl
    Options

If I'm sitting near you and you're texting I will make you stop. If you're talking I will make you shutup. I'm not missing half the movie to go find some pimply teenage usher either. I'll handle it myself. Not my fault some people are so rude.

I'd like to see you try. What exactly would you do? Please, tell me how you'll make me, or anyone else, shut up? Unless you're like the guy with the gun, good luck.

So you think it's ok to check your phone, text, and talk during a movie. And if someone asks you to be quiet your response is "make me."

You're a peach.

Never said anything was ok, sweetie. Just wanted to know exactly how you'd make someone do something. You didn't say you'd "ask". You said you'd "make".
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    LOL!
  • nutellabrah
    Options
    If Im checking my phone and feel like breaking the no cell phone rule, and you try to say something about me not doing it, you're gonna have to kill me first. I do what I want.

That goes out to all you suckas tryina act hard.
  • KingOfThoseWhoKnow
    Options
    LOL!

It's not that far fetched, I agree with the poster above me and like I said have done it myself and have seen it being done. Might I ask what gives you the right to text/interrupt people or to think that it's okay? What's your mentality and logic?

I think you're clutching at straws with this one, it's pretty unanimous regardless of your thought patterns
    If Im checking my phone and feel like breaking the no cell phone rule, and you try to say something about me not doing it, you're gonna have to kill me first. I do what I want.

That goes out to all you suckas tryina act hard.

First off please don't accuse any "suckas" of "tryna act hard" when you said "I do what I want"

As far as people checking their phones, I don't think it's a problem if it's only done once or twice during a movie. Simply looking at the screen is different than sending a text/making a call etc. However, secondly, I wouldn't try to say something, I would. Please don't tell me you or anyone else would physically harm me or get in my face if I tried. 99% of you would stop when told or pulled up on it. I'm making this assumption based on your "Look at me breaking the rules, aren't I tough?" mentality that stems from your post. That aside, might I ask why you need to check your phone or use it during a movie? Just why? There's no reason

You're in a public setting, in a movie theater, with rules. Get off your phone. If not, you will be thrown out. It's that simple, if you interrupt me and break the rules I personally wont stand for that. I don't need to raise a hand or kill anyone. No one is gonna be killed,That's what great about society, we have certain restraints in place to deal with certain people who haven't caught on yet :P

It seems like the people who are backing up the ludicrous idea of "it's okay to use your phone in a movie theater" are now falling back to an argument of "what you gonna do?/I'll keep doing it" stop being childish, there are plenty of things that can be done. You can dress some people up but you can't take them out :p

People need to put their tough guy attitudes away (along with their phones :P)
  • rml_16
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if the people who think they have a right to use their phone during the movies would be thr first to complain if someone else did it and disturbed them.