Texting in Movie Theater

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Exactly , I am not condoning the behavior I am just advocating we all need to be a little more tolerant.

Sums up my POV better than I have done. :drinker:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Exactly , I am not condoning the behavior I am just advocating we all need to be a little more tolerant.

Not that we should be shooting each other, but why do I have to tolerate rudeness?
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the responses, but here's mine- during the previews, okay. But during the film, it can be distracting, even just the light from the screen. I'd be more apt to shoot the group of teenagers right behind me who can't shut up.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Not that we should be shooting each other, but why do I have to tolerate rudeness?

It sounds like you *did* tolerate the rude behavior from your comment about your experience yesterday. ("Lone Survivor" looks like a good one from the previews.)

Sometimes life brings us challenges which lead to a cost-benefit analysis. In terms of public behavior, what we can control is our own behavior. It is *entirely* appropriate to notify the staff of a business about rude behavior. It is *sometimes* beneficial to politely notify the offender that your perception of their behavior is causing disruption. Sometimes that's all it takes. But what we can *NOT* control is the behavior of others. We can only choose how we react to it. :flowerforyou:
  • rml_16
    Options

It sounds like you *did* tolerate the rude behavior from your comment about your experience yesterday. ("Lone Survivor" looks like a good one from the previews.)

Sometimes life brings us challenges which lead to a cost-benefit analysis. In terms of public behavior, what we can control is our own behavior. It is *entirely* appropriate to notify the staff of a business about rude behavior. It is *sometimes* beneficial to politely notify the offender that your perception of their behavior is causing disruption. Sometimes that's all it takes. But what we can *NOT* control is the behavior of others. We can only choose how we react to it. :flowerforyou:

Not starting a fight doesn't mean I tolerated it. You bet I was throwing nasty looks in their direction and if it had continued, I would have said something. What they did was not OK. Part of not tolerating it is talking about it publicly, like we are now. It's a minor form of public shaming, which is the opposite of tolerance.

And, yes, the movie was good, but it was very difficult for me to watch. I spent a good deal of it crying with my face pressed against my fiance's shoulder. But I knew going in it would be like that. Just a warning if you have a tough time with things like that. It's a true story, so that makes it more difficult -- for me, anyway. I had thought about reading the book, but I don't know if I can now.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I keep my phone on vibrate during the movies, I have small children who are being babysat so I like to be available.. More than once I've gotten a call and yes I've left the theatre to take it.. Not to mention I have already lost one child so I have a hard time being away from them in the first place.. But hey even us moms need some away time too right? But yeah if a phone was beeping away and a movie was playing that is irritating but so are people who talk through an entire movie that bugs me even more.. I am very saddened about this incident I'd be interested to hear more about the story..

Our children are all young adults now but have medical conditions. Many years ago we didn't have a cell phone and had a couple of tragic almost deadly events with 2 of them at the same time. After that we got cell phones. We realized how lucky we were that we were there at the time and able to get help. But the what if's were told to us by the dr's and we were urged to get cell phones. A couple years later another major nearly deadly medical event occurred with one of our kids. Thankfully I had my cell on vibrate and was able to get the call and had to rush to the hospital ER to meet up with our child. To this day I always keep my cell in my pocket on vibrate. If I was out in a theater or dinner or some other place where it is inappropriate to use my cell I go outside and take the call. Even at work I have gotten emergency calls when my husband couldn't be reached and it pertained to his mother who was being rushed to the hospital and put on a ventilator. I tell the other teacher in the room that I have to take this, that its an emergency, leave the classroom and take the call in the hallway. Everyone knows my work schedule so if I get a call while I'm at work I know it has to be an emergency. Everyone I know is respective of my work schedule and calls me at night if its just to chit chat. People who make the calls as well as those who get the calls need to respect everyone around them and realize that its disruptive to others plus no one else needs to know your business.

I love the video of the guy phone bombing others while they are loudly talking on their cell phones. He sits next to them and acts as if he is on his cell phone as well and answers their questions and replies.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Seriously, how hard is it to understand that just because something doesn't bother YOU, it still might bother others and you should therefor be considerate of their feelings and not do it?

Apparently, the vast majority of people can't see past their own noses.

Yep...
  • KingOfThoseWhoKnow
    Options
    It's a movie theater, anyone with their phones out for any reason other than to check the time (which in itself is not an excuse, if you are running tight for time why are you watching a movie?!) are complete social degenerates, completely inconsiderate and extremely stupid

You're watching a movie, you don't need your phone. There are other people around you who paid just as much to see the same movie, you do not have a right to interrupt them or distract them from the film. When I see people do it I always say "excuse me?" (I wont for a once off, but if someone keeps doing it, there's no way I'm staying quiet). Extremely annoying. Are people's attention spans really that small these days? There's no reason you need to text during a movie, if you need to then, you shouldn't be there. Simple. It's not a hard concept to grasp, although for some people it REALLY IS

It's not even about the fact that other people paid the same amount, it's not even about money or the ticket cost, it's just common sense and courtesy. I don't know how other people are but I don't take that **** lightly
  • nataschalouise
    Options
    I used to be pretty attached to my phone. Until I went to university, and lost my phone several times on a night out.

Going a few weeks without a mobile each time really taught me how a)its useful for phonecalls, and the odd text, but more importantly b) its much more fun to meet with your friend then to have a conversation through text/facebook etc.

I think I have slowly started to move away from social media too at the same time. Yeah its good for organising, news, keeping up to date with those you live 100's of miles away from, but really, do we all need facebook, text, bbm, snapchat, whats app, instagram, and the list goes on...

I just have joined some of these social networks, but I haven't tweeted in two years, I only ever post on FB to keep family up to date, and I had whats app but realised the only people I spoke to on it also had my phone number so I deleted it.

I get so angry when I am at a meal, and I can see someone on their phone in a restaurant when they are with partner/friends/family, taking selfies and or at the cinema and someone is using their phone, or with friends at the pub and glued to the phone rather than chatting.

Just enjoy your life, put the damn phone down, and dare I say it, be more SOCIALABLE!
  • KingOfThoseWhoKnow
    Options
    I get so angry when I am at a meal, and I can see someone on their phone in a restaurant when they are with partner/friends/family, taking selfies and or at the cinema and someone is using their phone, or with friends at the pub and glued to the phone rather than chatting.

Just enjoy your life, put the damn phone down, and dare I say it, be more SOCIALABLE!

^This

My friends are the type who are glued to their phones non stop, I've declined invites to go out with them because I know I'll be the only one actually bothering to try. People are becoming more moronic as time goes on
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options

If I'm sitting near you and you're texting I will make you stop. If you're talking I will make you shutup. I'm not missing half the movie to go find some pimply teenage usher either. I'll handle it myself. Not my fault some people are so rude.

I'd like to see you try. What exactly would you do? Please, tell me how you'll make me, or anyone else, shut up? Unless you're like the guy with the gun, good luck.
  • KingOfThoseWhoKnow
    Options
    I'd like to see you try. What exactly would you do? Please, tell me how you'll make me, or anyone else, shut up? Unless you're like the guy with the gun, good luck.

By telling you to shutup? Please tell me what your defense would be? It's not that complicated..when I tell someone to shutup they have two choices, they can shutup or keep texting, if they keep texting they get thrown out because at least in Ireland we don't tolerate that **** :p It's a win win for the non texter. You're breaking the rules, keep on doing so wont end good in your favor. It's not rocket science people. I've done it countless amounts of times myself, and have seen it happen tonnes. I have no qualms with putting people in their place. 99% of people won't actually tell someone to shutup but I can guarantee 100% of them are thinking the same thing when someone actually tells them too

People need to stop being arrogant and self imposed important
  • KingOfThoseWhoKnow
    Options
    Oops double post
  • 1_Ton_Lady
    1_Ton_Lady Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    There is pretty much nothing else that gets under my skin as badly as someone texting or looking at their phone while I'm trying to watch a movie. I work in the film industry and that is my escape. When I shell out $15 for a movie ticket I expect it to be quiet in the movies (unless people are laughing at a funny moment, or screaming in terror from a scary moment) and to not have to be distracted by someone's phone screen lighting up. Do I understand why the guy was mad? YES, ABSOLUTELY. Was it worth killing/hurting someone over? ABSOLUTELY NOT. But people these days need to learn to respect others at the movie theater, and everywhere else in public!

Great post....I agree!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options

By telling you to shutup? Please tell me what your defense would be? It's not that complicated..when I tell someone to shutup they have two choices, they can shutup or keep texting, if they keep texting they get thrown out because at least in Ireland we don't tolerate that **** :p It's a win win for the non texter. You're breaking the rules, keep on doing so wont end good in your favor. It's not rocket science people. I've done it countless amounts of times myself, and have seen it happen tonnes. I have no qualms with putting people in their place. 99% of people won't actually tell someone to shutup but I can guarantee 100% of them are thinking the same thing when someone actually tells them too

Countless times you have gotten in someone's face and demanded that they do or don't do something you want them to? How often does that escalate to physical violence I wonder? Hmmm...
  • KingOfThoseWhoKnow
    Options
    [/quote]

Countless times you have gotten in someone's face and demanded that they do or don't do something you want them to? How often does that escalate to physical violence I wonder? Hmmm...
    [/quote]

Nope, never said I got in anyone's face. I don't need to get in someone's face to make them stop because 99% of people will stop when they are publicly embarrassed and asked to stop. If the person has any kind of savvy or social decorum they will be embarrassed and won't do it again,, and if they keep doing I don't take it into my own hands PHYSICALLY, because I have no right to get in someone's face or hurt them unless they do it to me. That's when I just tell the ticket vendor and then they get in the person's face for me :P which results in you then stopping or being thrown out. I win either way. I don't need to worry about getting in someone's face to enforce the rules because if people wont comply, there's people who will enforce the rules for me. It's never an advantage to the person breaking the rules. Because unlike some people the average person has some tact and wont get in someones face, the tactless person is usually the one texting!
  • rml_16
    Options

I take it you're one of those rude people who needs someone to tell her to cut it out. You're awfully defensive if not.
  • KingOfThoseWhoKnow
    Options
    [/quote]
    I take it you're one of those rude people who needs someone to tell her to cut it out. You're awfully defensive if not.
    [/quote]

Is this aimed at me or..? Sorry, I'm confused
  • rml_16
    Options
    [/quote]

Is this aimed at me or..? Sorry, I'm confused
    [/quote]
    No. The person criticizing you for speaking up.