Texting in Movie Theater

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    +1 LOL
    You ever seen that scene in The Departed where the two guys get in a shootout and they both start wailing on each other and soon they are both riddled with bullet holes? Yeah, it would have to go down like that before I stopped.

Ever seen that scene from real life where idiots text during a movie and don't stop until they are forcefully asked to leave/thrown out by the manager? I take it you haven't. Because it happens a lot and will happen. Just wow lol

But wouldn't that forced expulsion by the manager be more disruptive to the general theater populace? So, your drive to force others to live by your code has now degraded an entire theater's viewing experience.

I've seen people asked to leave a theater by the usher/manager. it's no biggie.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    You ever seen that scene in The Departed where the two guys get in a shootout and they both start wailing on each other and soon they are both riddled with bullet holes? Yeah, it would have to go down like that before I stopped.

Ever seen that scene from real life where idiots text during a movie and don't stop until they are forcefully asked to leave/thrown out by the manager? I take it you haven't. Because it happens a lot and will happen. Just wow lol

But wouldn't that forced expulsion by the manager be more disruptive to the general theater populace? So, your drive to force others to live by your code has now degraded an entire theater's viewing experience.

Actually, every time I've seen this happen the rest of the theater cheers.

I have never seen anyone get expelled for texting. Do they rewind the movie or does everyone just have to guess about what they missed?

when i've seen it the film kept rolling. ONE TIME i saw the film started over but I can't recall the circumstances. i feel like it was a mistake in the playing of it and they just skipped the ads.
  • KingOfThoseWhoKnow
    Options
    "Theater Thugs", try to tell other people what to do, self-entitled self-righteous grandeur of a pig.

This is coming from the person who called other people out on being suckas and saying he does what he wants? Please tell me more about how you are not contradicting yourself
    Yes I am that important, or my love life is that important

Nope, you're not
    you are still in a public domain sharing a space with the public....but buy your own movie theater

Contradiction yet again. This extends to you aswell, you are in a public domain. Nope, we don't have to buy our own movie theaters, the rules are set in place already. If you want to text I'll take a leaf from your book and tell you to go outside and text to your hearts content
    if you can't handle anything the public might throw at you

Coming from the person who said he would exponentially escalate when called out on, I don't think you have a right to even say this lol
    If you come at someone like that, expect potential for retaliation. You personally attacked that person for all I'm concerned and crossed a huge line, especially if I am with my gf or something, you might get cussed out, even if I am wrong, and if not worse if you don't stop.

You won't retaliate. Even if you do, you will then be thrown out like I've said over and over again in this thread. The line was crossed when you took your phone out and texted

Just because you don't have anyone that loves you who texts you, you want to hate on the next man that does.

Oh you got me, I go to movies and turn my phone off because I want to mask up the fact no one texts me. LOL, I just have the general know how and intellect to turn my damn phone off in a movie, cmon dude!
    Its just a sign of emotional immaturity

Coming from someone who says "Yes I am that important, my love life is that important"? Please, just stop lol
    I would be more bothered by the person causing the ruckus but then I can focus on a movie without being distracted by other people's actions.

It's not really a ruckus, a few quiet words are said and the person cowards down or leaves. Quite simple really.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

I have never seen anyone get expelled for texting. Do they rewind the movie or does everyone just have to guess about what they missed?

This is what I've seen happen. Person A politely and quietly asks person B to stop texting, 99% of the time person B stops and no one else is disturbed. 0.99% of the time person B ignores them, and person A goes and gets a manager who either hauls them out or makes them stop, this usually doesn't cause much of a disruption. In 0.01% of cases, person B is an idiot who shouts stupid crap (see nutella's posts for reference) across the entire theater the moment anyone tries to say anything to them. Person B gets removed, and the rest of the theater cheers.

Yes, I've seen the theater move the film back if the disruption was severe, but the disturbance has never been the fault of person A.
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I can't wait until they ban cell phones in movie theaters completely. And huge groups of loud teenagers on Fridays and Saturdays.
  • nutellabrah
    Options

This is what I've seen happen. Person A politely and quietly asks person B to stop texting, 99% of the time person B stops and no one else is disturbed. 0.99% of the time person B ignores them, and person A goes and gets a manager who either hauls them out or makes them stop, this usually doesn't cause much of a disruption. In 0.01% of cases, person B is an idiot who shouts stupid crap (see nutella's posts for reference) across the entire theater the moment anyone tries to say anything to them. Person B gets removed, and the rest of the theater cheers.

Yes, I've seen the theater move the film back if the disruption was severe, but the disturbance has never been the fault of person A.

If someone is using their phone i might glance into my peripheral awareness for a moment and glance back at the screen. 2 second loss.

If I were to over hear or notice someone asking someone to stop or even shushing someone else, I would become self aware for a good 10-20 seconds about it.

I would rather people just let it go. That is the positive, peaceful, American way. Love one another, do not judge and hate one another.
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options

I would rather people just let it go. That is the positive, peaceful, American way. Love one another, do not judge and hate one another.

...........are you new to America??
  • KingOfThoseWhoKnow
    Options
    If I were to over hear or notice someone asking someone to stop or even shushing someone else, I would become self aware for a good 10-20 seconds about it.

Annoying isn't it? And they add up. Throw in talking and multiply this by a lot. If only people would become self aware of how wrong they are, maybe they wouldn't do it. Either way, someone or something will stop them
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options

http://suicideproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/aaa.jpg

^^^ LOL!!! Owned.
  • supremelady
    supremelady Posts: 211 Member
    Options

If the rule at the movie theater is no concealed weapons why would you have a gun at the movie theater?

A reminder of the actual question the OP asked:
    So, the question is.....if you are going to text or use your phone at the movie theater. Shouldn't you remove yourself to the lobby as to not to irritate the other patrons?

No one thinks what the shooter did was OK. But that wasn't the issue in the OP.

I know what the OP asked and i answered the way i wanted to back on page 8. My response that you quoted was to a direct post in this thread also located on page 8. thank you.
    I read the post to which you replied. It didn't mention guns.

i know what the post said, she asked if the theater says no cell phones then why bring it and i said if the movie theater said no guns why bring it? sorry if you don't understand my reply
    I understand your reply. The OP's question was about cell phones, not guns. The poster you quoted answered the OP's question. You're trying to start an argument over something no one said. No one thinks what happened was OK. That wasn't the question and isn't the issue being addressed by either the OP or the quoted poster.

The quoted poster asked why people couldn't obey the no cell phone use law and instead of answering that question or giving an opinion on it, you answered with a question to change the subject. I can only assume this is because you like to use your cell phone during movies and want to avert attention from your rude behavior with a straw man argument.

Also, your reply on page 8 doesn't address the OP's question, either.

thank you thread police. I don't see how "I'm trying to start an argument" when you replied to me. have a great day and be blessed!
    Because you want to make it about the gun and you seem under the impression that any single person posting here thinks what happened was OK. Every time someone mentions cell phones, your response is, "BUT GUN!"

^^^ This is foolishness, i responded three times (minus the 2 times i responded to you) in this thread and there are will over 11 pages and your response to me is that EVERY time someone mentions cell phones my response is BUT GUN! LMBO you are funny. My answer will not change! I think they the shooter over reacted and did not have any business with a gun in the movie theater. As far as the guy with the cell phone i have seen it done a thousand time and i'm more annoyed by people talking loud or NOT minding their own business, than some guy texting. Maybe it's just me and that's fine but in a big dark theater when i am looking at the screen i hardly notice someone texting on their phone. but you carry on.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    If someone is using their phone i might glance into my peripheral awareness for a moment and glance back at the screen. 2 second loss.

Lord I'm a glutton for punishment. You can ignore, my husband has OCD and can't. It will literally ruin the movie for him and potentially cause a migraine for him that can last for days. This makes him very angry when this happens and so yes, he will go and ask the manager to remove the person if asking them politely first to stop doesn't work.

Now I'm going to leave you alone and let you have your fun because today I have actual grading and other work to do.
  • pkul85
    pkul85 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You're at the God-blessed movie theatre, turn the freaking phone OFF.

It's ridiculous that a person can't take a 2-3 hour break from texting or calling someone. You're not that special!

Eh, I have kids who need to be able to reach me any time, and clients who get pissed if they can't. I wouldn't take a call, but my phone isn't getting shut off. And trust me, when I am on the phone, it's far less of a distraction than the crying baby, or the person chomping on their popcorn.

Just because there is a crying baby or someone chomping on popcorn- does not make texting on a cell phone ( with a distracting 2nd screen.. doesnt matter if its dim) any more appropriate.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't really feel bad for the guy. He was asked to stop, refused. Let's not forget the retired cop was 70 years old and the victim half his age and probably twice his size. Old man went outside to tell staff. Upon coming back in, the man with the phone made a comment about the old man 'telling on him', then proceeded to throw a bucket of popcorn at the old man while standing less than 2 feet away from him.. Assault on the elderly. Did he deserve to get shot, no. But even the guy's wife was trying to hold him back (hence her getting shot in the hand while trying to diffuse.

The old man was definitely in the wrong but the man who got shot sounded like an grown up bully.
  • nutellabrah
    Options

Lord I'm a glutton for punishment. You can ignore, my husband has OCD and can't. It will literally ruin the movie for him and potentially cause a migraine for him that can last for days. This makes him very angry when this happens and so yes, he will go and ask the manager to remove the person if asking them politely first to stop doesn't work.

Now I'm going to leave you alone and let you have your fun because today I have actual grading and other work to do.

I completely understand where you are coming from which is why I recommend the new Optoma HD131Xe which provides up to 150 inch Hi-Definition Blu Ray quality on any wall in any room in your house (no need for a screen or painting the wall since the Optoma has a super bright luminosity) and its as low as $729. Trust me it looks Amazingggg. Couple it with a nice 500 Watt system with sub woofer you can find online shipped for about a hundred these days.

Amazon_HD131Xe_img1.jpg

Prices for quality projectors have come down well below 1K but this projector looks like 10K projectors looked 5 years ago.

Why go out in public when you can have this experience in the private anti-social-soothing-comfort of your home.
  • Cabrinii
    Cabrinii Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Seeing the breaking news story on the fatal shooting at a movie theater in Wesley Chapel where one person is dead and another one is injured, it was devastating that the person who was distracted by a man using his cell phone to text to his daughter at home decided to pull out his gun and shoot him. There's one thing that came out of it, another man caught him and took his gun away from his hand and reported him to theater security leading him to his arrest on Monday afternoon. Sad to see any person that doesn't follow the rules about turning off your cell phones in a movie theater would continue to text during the film and end up in danger. If I were to bring my phone into a movie theater, I would turn it off completely and put it in my purse until the end of the film. This is one of the rules that every moviegoer should follow. Turn off your cellphones and do not text during the film.
  • nutellabrah
    Options

I completely understand where you are coming from which is why I recommend the new Optoma HD131Xe which provides up to 150 inch Hi-Definition Blu Ray quality on any wall in any room in your house (no need for a screen or painting the wall since the Optoma has a super bright luminosity) and its as low as $729. Trust me it looks Amazingggg. Couple it with a nice 500 Watt system with sub woofer you can find online shipped for about a hundred these days.

Amazon_HD131Xe_img1.jpg

Prices for quality projectors have come down well below 1K but this projector looks like 10K projectors looked 5 years ago.

How about since you can't follow the theater rules, what with your army of Twilight fans texting you non-stop, YOU stay out of the theater?

Why do you think someone else shouldn't be there just so you can be rude?

You think I don't have one of these? (I have the LV-20 tho which has double the luminosity of even this) But yeah, no. Haven't gone to a theater in months. Film is dead anyway. TV is where its at these days between the Breaking Bads and the Games of Thrones.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

Do you or your husband sit on the aisle when you go to the movies or right in the middle?