"Please include a message with your friend request.."

Options

Replies

• delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons we have the disclaimer is so people won't take it personally if we decline. Because it's not personal, we are all strangers here.

And also the people with whom we do build relationships grow to matter to us.

And over the course of years we develop many special relationships.

And I'm not just going to let someone herp derp onto my friends list for no reason at all, when the people I *do* have actually mean something to me.

I'm not a fast food restaurant, I'm a person.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons we have the disclaimer is so people won't take it personally if we decline. Because it's not personal, we are all strangers here.

And also the people with whom we do build relationships grow to matter to us.

And over the course of years we develop many special relationships.

And I'm not just going to let someone herp derp onto my friends list for no reason at all, when the people I *do* have actually mean something to me.

I'm not a fast food restaurant, I'm a person.

Yeah! :flowerforyou:
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    But all I want to do is snapchat dikpiks.. jk I don't have snapchat.
  • snowmaniac
    snowmaniac Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    FYI my OP was all in sarcasm. I could care less.
    The responses are quite humorous, nonetheless.

Carry on children, carry on....

inconceivable_zps5e37f053.gif
  • WuTanquerayClan
    Options
    I dunno, I guess some feel "important" and "exclusive" when they set up parameters to become their friend. I will accept whomever. It isn't like I post super personal stuff on my wall. That's just foolish.

It makes me feel "important" and/or "exclusive" when all I ask is a few words about *WHY* you want to be on my friends' list? Did you ever think that some people want to know why a total stranger would find them interesting enough to befriend?

Aren't you selective with your friends IRL? Or do you become buddies with every random stranger who walks up to you for no apparent reason? :huh:

Oh? MFP equals real life? I have been doing it wrong.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Last I checked, it was my FL to tend as I please.
  • Crimson_Fire
    Crimson_Fire Posts: 2,504 Member
    Options
    Meh. I used to message people if they sent a blank FR to try to get to know them first and to just be polite. Turns out some creeps mistake politeness for "please stalk me and send me 50+ PMs a day." Now I don't accept a request if there's no message...unless I've seen the person around before or they're a redneck. :)
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    It seems like this is something said because someone else said it on their profile. To be exclusive you must add this disclaimer to your profile. Miss me with that...
    When did this become so important or the norm?
    Just sounds like some MFPers are becoming friending snobs.
    Some of them won't admit they are quick to accept a friend request on FB and 9x/10 there is no accompanying message.
    Some people have gotten a little above themselves.

Or the other one that gets me is, "I'm not adding anymore new friends"

What the what?! It's not like there's a fire code for your friend's list...

Then another thing that gets me is that people go on to justify why they need a message LOL. As if the message makes the person no longer a stranger.

Insanity at its best....
    That's team too much for me...

No I think people say that because they genuinely would like a message to accompany friend's requests.

Just accepting friend's willy-nilly so that hundreds upon hundreds are on one's profile is ridiculous - and believe me, there are nutters out there that collect profiles like somebody would collect stamps.

Besides which, why shouldn't somebody put a message to accompany the request, if they can't do that, how are they even going to be supportive?

Regarding Facebook, I am on there and only accept from people I know, whether they have an accompanying message or not, but again, there are plenty who like to accumulate many, many, many friends, just because it looks good.
  • My_Own_Worst_Enemy
    My_Own_Worst_Enemy Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You filled out your profile? HAHA !
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    My question is, why WOULDN'T you, OP, take the time to introduce yourself when asking to be someone's friend? You don't see that as the tiniest bit creepy?

For me, it's to weed out people who are too stupid/lazy to read through my profile.

First off, if you are that stupid or lazy, I don't want you. Intelligent and driven people only, because there is no point in being my friend if we have nothing fundamental in common. I would end up deleting you anyway.

Secondly, if you didn't read my profile, how do you know anything about me? If you don't know anything about me, WHY do you want to be my friend? Which brings us back to creepy.

Don't be a creeper. Include a message if someone asks for one. The end.

All. Of. This.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Some of them won't admit they are quick to accept a friend request on FB and 9x/10 there is no accompanying message.

That's because I KNOW the people sending friend requests on FB. I rarely get some random stranger sending one. And if I do, I don't accept it because THAT'S CREEPY.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

That's because I KNOW the people sending friend requests on FB. I rarely get some random stranger sending one. And if I do, I don't accept it because THAT'S CREEPY.

Agreed.
    Gotta be choosy...
    creepy-beard-guy_fb_317365.jpg
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Just accepting friend's willy-nilly so that hundreds upon hundreds are on one's profile is ridiculous - and believe me, there are nutters out there that collect profiles like somebody would collect stamps.

Yes, early on I received requests from random young people and after accepting I saw that they were trying to have friends from every letter of the alphabet.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I guess some feel "important" and "exclusive" when they set up parameters to become their friend. I will accept whomever. It isn't like I post super personal stuff on my wall. That's just foolish.

It makes me feel "important" and/or "exclusive" when all I ask is a few words about *WHY* you want to be on my friends' list? Did you ever think that some people want to know why a total stranger would find them interesting enough to befriend?

Aren't you selective with your friends IRL? Or do you become buddies with every random stranger who walks up to you for no apparent reason? :huh:

No, MFP isn't real... all the weight and inches I have lost are totally fictitious. ::eyeroll::

Some of us have personal issues that affect our health, and are a bit more selective about with whom we choose to share that information. The friend requests of random strangers who can't be bothered to do me the courtesy of letting me know why they want to be friends are summarily declined.

Just like in real life.
  • WuTanquerayClan
    Options

No, MFP isn't real... all the weight and inches I have lost are totally fictitious. ::eyeroll::

Some of us have personal issues that affect our health, and are a bit more selective about with whom we choose to share that information. The friend requests of random strangers who can't be bothered to do me the courtesy of letting me know why they want to be friends are summarily declined.

Just like in real life.

Omg, your weight loss has nothing to do with the topic at hand. And it really shouldn't matter if they add a msg or not. Or, bright idea, ask them why they want to become your friend before accepting. I don't care what you do, personally.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options

Just like in real life.

Omg, your weight loss has nothing to do with the topic at hand. And it really shouldn't matter if they add a msg or not. Or, bright idea, ask them why they want to become your friend before accepting. I don't care what you do, personally.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already do... It's right on my public profile, which is "the topic at hand."
  • MissChyna
    MissChyna Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Think when people "require" that it's hilarious. It's not Match.com or a private social club.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    i think they just want to see if you have read their profile...the message would probably, or should probably, be reflective of that if a msg was included
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Think when people "require" that it's hilarious. It's not Match.com or a private social club.

this
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    The use of the word please is intended to be a polite statement of preference.