"Please include a message with your friend request.."

Options

Replies

• FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    EXAMPLE: Hi mjterp, My name is Marjorie and I saw your comment on the post about women lifting. ROCK ON!!! I took a peek at your profile and noticed that we are about the same age and you have done a GREAT job of getting in shape. I'd love to be able to peruse your diary and snag some ideas for my own journey. I am doing this one habit at a time and my current habit is to add more vegies.

I look forward to connecting with you. If you decide that this isn't a match, know that I wish you the best on your journey, and thank you for your time!

Sincerely,
    Marjorie

THAT is a lovely message!
  • pursuittofit
    pursuittofit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    LOL I dont think it is snobing or whatsoever. More like trying to catch the contact. Personally, I couldnt care less, but I always write something with my add.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I don't accept random friend requests from people who aren't friends of mutual friends unless they have a really good reason for why they want to be my friend.

I don't accept blank friend requests from anyone. No matter who they are.

I like to keep my friend list manageable. Too many people and you can't be supportive/develop any kind of relationship with them.

I'm not here to just collect people and won't be collected by anyone else.

If someone does make it on my list and then doesn't interact with me I delete them.

I call them standards. You can call it whatever you like. It's my friend list so what's it to you how I manage it?

This. ALL of this.

Yup... exactly.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    My policy is pretty simple. It's the same one I have on facebook. I will accept pretty much any friend request from a verifiable human. Look at me. Do I look like a man who would ever run the risk of having too many friends? Likewise, I never send friend requests. I'm just offensive enough, more so on facebook than here, that I understand that I am an acquired taste and it would be poor form for me to force my weirdness on someone.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Seems I am with the majority... lol - it's not at all about exclusivity??? Damn, I will take the disclaimer off now - not.... It's not about feeling high and mighty...it's about feeling like you are able to actually be helpful, supportive and a 'friend' (as much as one can be to an internet stranger) to the people on your list. I don't want to collect or be collected for that matter. I want to have meaningful interaction, with most if not all of my friends. So in that sense it is helpful to know something about them when a request is made, especially if they have their profile set to private, a message is nice.
  • lknjohnson
    lknjohnson Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I take all comers, message or not.

I have 1 simple rule: I delete those who have not logged in for 1 month. That's it.

This is what I do. Its not that serious to me.
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I don't accept FR without messages because I don't want to be friends with someone that doesn't want to talk to me.
    If you don't even have anything to say to me as far as why you'd like to be friends then why bother?

Agreed, then it feels like they are just creeping on you. LOL!
    And who cares any way? If you want to be friends with someone and they post this message. If that turns you off then why want to be friends any longer with them?
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Oh no I am I a bad person because I like to know who is contacting me and why...

Gosh I deserve a serious spanking.

How is this thread going for you OP?
  • _NAUTILUS_
    _NAUTILUS_ Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I really hate it when all the disclaimers are written in the persons profile yet you can't read the profile because it's private!
    I think it's important allow people to see if your a good match by not having the profile privatized. When someone requests me especially without a message I will go to their wall to see if I can relate with them. If not I assume they just want to see me naked and I send them junk pics back and then we both walk away satisfied.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I don't accept random friend requests from people who aren't friends of mutual friends unless they have a really good reason for why they want to be my friend.

I don't accept blank friend requests from anyone. No matter who they are.

I like to keep my friend list manageable. Too many people and you can't be supportive/develop any kind of relationship with them.

I'm not here to just collect people and won't be collected by anyone else.

If I do accept someone on my list and then they don't interact with me I delete them.

I call them standards. You can call it whatever you like. It's my friend list so what's it to you how I manage it?

ETA: I'm really just a b!tch. That's what it boils down to.

All of this.

I get a fair number of friend requests. If I accepted every request I got, I'd have 999 friends (which is the max allowed, I believe). This is not because I'm special, but because I've lost a lot of weight, posted a few success stories threads, and people have sent requests.

I'd love to accept them all.

But what I'd love even more is to be able to support my friends who've been with me since June of 2011, when I started up here. And if I have 999 friends, I can't do that.

I get so many requests that say "I need you to inspire me!"

Sorry, not my job. I've got a full time job, a kid, and what little time I have on MFP is devoted to, in this order: getting my own food and exercise tracked; supporting my friends; helping on the forums or by posing a blog entry when I can. My diary is open. My blog is open and has oodles of tips on how I lost weight and how I keep it off. I love to help, but not at the expense of my own needs.
  • SaintGiff
    Options

Well, um... I... uhhh... I mean if ....
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options

bl1ndf1sh.. you're in the wrong thread....this isnt the creepy message one..:ohwell:
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    It can be hard to support every single person if you have a large friends list. I think that's why people cap them off after a certain number. I have a lot of people added that do nothing with MFP (haven't logged in, in months) but it's not hurting my friends list to keep them there. If you're looking to have a nice group of supportive MFPs, may as well get rid of those who never log in.
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Dude, who the heck accepts FB friend requests without knowing the person? Man, I'm pickier there than I am here.

Oh, and also ^THIS! Seriously, I have NEVER accepted an FB friend request from someone I didn't know.

SMH... me either!
  • SaintGiff
    Options

bl1ndf1sh.. you're in the wrong thread....this isnt the creepy message one..:ohwell:

I hate when that happens. My bad. Carry on with the.... whatever you were doing that wasn't at all creepy.
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    FYI my OP was all in sarcasm. I could care less.
    The responses are quite humorous, nonetheless.

Carry on children, carry on....
  • WuTanquerayClan
    Options
    I dunno, I guess some feel "important" and "exclusive" when they set up parameters to become their friend. I will accept whomever. It isn't like I post super personal stuff on my wall. That's just foolish.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options

I hope you logged the calories from the backpedaling you just did...
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

you could care less....so you do care.
    i see.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

I hope you logged the calories from the backpedaling you just did...

HomerSimpson-Doh3.gif