"Please include a message with your friend request.."

Options

Replies

• michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    why does it matter to you how I pick and choose my friends?? not trying to sound snobby..just curious...
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Trying to keep tabs on hundreds of people is beyond my abilities, so I understand why other people wouldn't want to make the effort either. I don't have any disclaimers in my profile, but IF I became so popular that it became an overcrowding issue, I'd probably add one.

Some sort of message does save me the time of checking the other person's profile before hitting accept, and those seconds do add up.
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    I don't accept random friend requests from people who aren't friends of mutual friends unless they have a really good reason for why they want to be my friend.

I don't accept blank friend requests from anyone. No matter who they are.

I like to keep my friend list manageable. Too many people and you can't be supportive/develop any kind of relationship with them.

I'm not here to just collect people and won't be collected by anyone else.

If I do accept someone on my list and then they don't interact with me I delete them.

I call them standards. You can call it whatever you like. It's my friend list so what's it to you how I manage it?

ETA: I'm really just a b!tch. That's what it boils down to.

istock_000018661376medium-775677a41db6297c491b1e0222d83e19c98ad23b-s3-c85.jpg
  • _JPunky
    _JPunky Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Seriously, what the heck does it matter to you?

I love my friends on here and I want to make sure I can support them 100%. How are you supposed to do that with 500 friends.

Personally, I'd rather have a friend who has this disclaimer on their profile than someone who collects friends just to have them.

But I actually value personal relationships. Maybe that makes me a b!tch?
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I'm with team "Don't have time for that"

Where that =

People who don't eat enough
    People who cry on the forums
    People who are too needy

And bacon haters.

Seriously. Who hates bacon?

Or ice cream.

I love denying friend requests that are blank.

Inorite?!?!?! Who seriously hates bacon and ice cream, or bacon with ice cream???? Losers.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    If you aren't creative enough to give me a reason why you want to be on my friend list, i don't think i would want you.
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    LOL I love it all!
    I wanted to see the response.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    It is why I always include a junk shot with FR... and expect nothing less in return
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I don't accept random friend requests from people who aren't friends of mutual friends unless they have a really good reason for why they want to be my friend.

I like to keep my friend list manageable. Too many people and you can't be supportive/develop any kind of relationship with them.

If I do accept someone on my list and then they don't interact with me I delete them.

I call them standards. You can call it whatever you like. It's my friend list so what's it to you how I manage it?

I could not agree more.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    It seems like this is something said because someone else said it on their profile. To be exclusive you must add this disclaimer to your profile. Miss me with that...
    When did this become so important or the norm?
    Just sounds like some MFPers are becoming friending snobs.
    Some of them won't admit they are quick to accept a friend request on FB and 9x/10 there is no accompanying message.
    Some people have gotten a little above themselves.

Or the other one that gets me is, "I'm not adding anymore new friends"

What the what?! It's not like there's a fire code for your friend's list...

Then another thing that gets me is that people go on to justify why they need a message LOL. As if the message makes the person no longer a stranger.

Insanity at its best....
    That's team too much for me...

haters-gonna-hate-snow-white_large.gif

and just for the record, im only accepting mutuals at this point in time.

good luck OP!
  • _JPunky
    _JPunky Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Dude, who the heck accepts FB friend requests without knowing the person? Man, I'm pickier there than I am here.

Oh, and also ^THIS! Seriously, I have NEVER accepted an FB friend request from someone I didn't know.
  • laceyfowler
    laceyfowler Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm not here to collect friends - I'm here to support others and to get support from others, and to in this process have actual postivie/meaningful relationships with those I'm supporting/supported by.

If I want to be someone's friend, I send them a message saying why (e.g. "I loved your helpful response to ____ in the ___ post! Would like to be your friend so we can provide positivity and support one another here in MFP"). If someone wants to be my friend, I'm generally pretty open to it, I just want to know why, and so I appreciate a short message along with the request.

I like having a small friends list because I feel like I can be supportive to everyone one my little list... and I appreciate the support I get from each of them :-)

This is what works for and feels comfortable to me :-)
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    Freedom... it's awesome. You should try it sometime.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    It is why I always include a junk shot with FR... and expect nothing less in return

Well played brah
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It seems like this is something said because someone else said it on their profile. To be exclusive you must add this disclaimer to your profile. Miss me with that...
    When did this become so important or the norm?
    Just sounds like some MFPers are becoming friending snobs.
    Some of them won't admit they are quick to accept a friend request on FB and 9x/10 there is no accompanying message.
    Some people have gotten a little above themselves.

Or the other one that gets me is, "I'm not adding anymore new friends"

What the what?! It's not like there's a fire code for your friend's list...

Then another thing that gets me is that people go on to justify why they need a message LOL. As if the message makes the person no longer a stranger.

Insanity at its best....
    That's team too much for me...
    The honest truth about why it's on my profile is because of people like you complaining about people having it on their profiles. It is there, specifically, to annoy you.

I am not being sarcastic.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I accept 9/10 requests with no message on FB because they're people I know IRL. We're already friends or related. When I get a FR here it's from a stranger. I wouldn't just walk up to a stranger and ask them to be friends. I would introduce myself and break the ice a little. Especially important online when there's not a physical body in front of you. If that's not important to you, great. Not sure why you give a s**t if it's important to anyone else.:huh:
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Bacon AND ice cream is apparently now a thing. With caramel.

Oh holy mother of yes...
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'm popular on the internet so I don't just associate with just anyone. YOU CAN"T SIT HERE!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options

All of this. She was recommended by a mutual. How this should work, really.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I don't like to waste my time with people who don't even have the courtesy to introduce themselves.

So . . . no, you don't get to come to the party.