"Please include a message with your friend request.."

Options

Replies

• Shreddingit84
    Options
    I just made my profile public!
    I only ask for FR messages to say " your a goddess and i need your friendship" that is all!
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    FYI my OP was all in sarcasm. I could care less.
    The responses are quite humorous, nonetheless.

Carry on children, carry on....

You mean you COULDN'T care less...
  • GINAvsGINA
    GINAvsGINA Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    This gonna be gud...

this-gonna-be-good-o.gif

Lmbo, agreed!!!
  • GINAvsGINA
    Options
    my potential friends must pass a 4-hour written and verbal exam.

...and a background check.

...and a physical.

...and have a solid credit history.

...and put up some collateral.

i think these requirements are reasonable. :huh:

Lmbo, most won't get it!
  • fallenoaks50
    Options
    I don't accept friends at all. I'm here to get myself healthy, not to support a bunch of random strangers. I don't have time for that. :happy:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

You clearly care quite a bit.

Therefore, you are right. You COULD care less. But you don't. You care very much.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options

Gosh I deserve a serious spanking.

Well, um... I... uhhh... I mean if ....

bl1ndf1sh.. you're in the wrong thread....this isnt the creepy message one..:ohwell:

I thought EVERY thread was the creepy message thread...
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I guess some feel "important" and "exclusive" when they set up parameters to become their friend. I will accept whomever. It isn't like I post super personal stuff on my wall. That's just foolish.

It makes me feel "important" and/or "exclusive" when all I ask is a few words about *WHY* you want to be on my friends' list? Did you ever think that some people want to know why a total stranger would find them interesting enough to befriend?

Aren't you selective with your friends IRL? Or do you become buddies with every random stranger who walks up to you for no apparent reason? :huh:
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options

Gosh I deserve a serious spanking.

Well, um... I... uhhh... I mean if ....

bl1ndf1sh.. you're in the wrong thread....this isnt the creepy message one..:ohwell:

I thought EVERY thread was the creepy message thread...

Apparently not
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    My question is, why WOULDN'T you, OP, take the time to introduce yourself when asking to be someone's friend? You don't see that as the tiniest bit creepy?

For me, it's to weed out people who are too stupid/lazy to read through my profile.

First off, if you are that stupid or lazy, I don't want you. Intelligent and driven people only, because there is no point in being my friend if we have nothing fundamental in common. I would end up deleting you anyway.

Secondly, if you didn't read my profile, how do you know anything about me? If you don't know anything about me, WHY do you want to be my friend? Which brings us back to creepy.

Don't be a creeper. Include a message if someone asks for one. The end.
  • GINAvsGINA
    Options
    Well I'm totally opposite most. When starting my MFP account I knew no one on here and requested people I felt shared a similar journey. I can count on one hand how many of those request had a message! Also if I read a disclaimer on a person's page that I'm considering requesting I won't request them. Not to be mean but it's not that serious! If you except a friend request and later feel they are just taking up space you can delete them.???? I know crazy right? Yep people there's a delete button. Lol Bottom line is do what works for you no need to get bent out of shape because someone else doesn't like it. Who Cares!!!!????????????
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I used to have this on my profile when it was public and I still got blank FR, which told me they didn't even bother reading it.

Having a complete stranger add you without a little note explaining where they saw you or how they found you is creepy to me. It has nothing to do with being a snob. I don't add just anyone; I like my friends to have similar views as me.

Unless you're hot. Then you get a pass.
    I did the same, and made the first line. Now it's literally the only thing you see, and I still get random requests with no message. If you can't even be bothered to read that one single sentence and are just FR bombing, nope. I want people I share something with.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Adding a complete stranger is hard for some. What is wrong with asking how did you come across my profile? Perhaps they are a friend of a friend. Its not the same as adding a friend on FB ... those people you know in real life.

As for not adding any more friends...good idea sometimes. If you want to be a true support and encourager to someone how can you do that if you have 100s or 1000s of friends. Its hard to keep up with your own life let alone the lives of so many others. If you want to have a more meaningful connection on MFP ... then I understand the limiting of friends on the
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I accept any requests...just don't be creepy or I'll take you off. Simple enough right?:wink:
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options

No it wasn't, no back-pedalling allowed
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I only included a disclaimer after people were sending me friend requests with whom I clearly had nothing in common (ie. 50 year old men, "18" year old girls trying to starve themselves...). I actually take the time to support my "friends" on here - I read their updates, follow their exercise burns, etc. I don't have the time to add someone who is going to write crap on my wall that I really don't care about. If that bothers you, then don't add me. Go cry somewhere else.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I have no disclaimer. I figure that I don't want to be friends with the kind of person that would send a blank FR.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I always question getting a friend request without a message from someone who's had no recent posts or no mutual friends. Why are they adding me? It doesn't make them any less of a stranger but it is nice to know why they would like to become friends with me. And as for the 'not accepting anymore friends'. Again, nothing wrong with it. I like to keep my list fairly minimal because I don't need 'numbers'. I need people that I can relate to and support.
  • InevitableButterfly
    InevitableButterfly Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Would you go up to a complete stranger in the real world and be like 'hey, we should be friends now!' without so much as saying why you think you should be friends? No. Why? Because that's absurd. The same applies here. It is weird to just try to be friends with someone without even wanting to say why you want to be friends. The message box was created for friends requests for a reason, and it's been that way here for years (which you know because you've been here since 2011 --at least in this incarnation).

By the way, I want to be friends with your mum. Make that happen. :smile:
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    It seems like this is something said because someone else said it on their profile. To be exclusive you must add this disclaimer to your profile. Miss me with that...
    When did this become so important or the norm?
    Just sounds like some MFPers are becoming friending snobs.
    Some of them won't admit they are quick to accept a friend request on FB and 9x/10 there is no accompanying message.
    Some people have gotten a little above themselves.

Or the other one that gets me is, "I'm not adding anymore new friends"

What the what?! It's not like there's a fire code for your friend's list...

Then another thing that gets me is that people go on to justify why they need a message LOL. As if the message makes the person no longer a stranger.

Insanity at its best....
    That's team too much for me...

OP- A little judgemental??

Some people get numerous ones a day and cannot distinguish those that will be supportive and those that are meaningless time wasters.

Adding the latter means your 'actual' supportive friends are not exposed to the full extent of your support.

Every friends request that I give I include a message and if it's the obvious I will state 'you're hot, additional motivation ;)'

We live in the 21st century, people are more susceptible to receiving 'creepy' friend requests. I sure do and I just ignore them unless they stipulate fitness.

So there you go, challenge me, I dare you. I am a fiesty aussie and I assure the above is not an extension of my 'ego' moreso my personality ;)