Any Metal heads? :)

Options

Replies

• intellem0s
    intellem0s Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love metal. Pitbulls in the Nursery, Arch Enemy, Lacuna Coil, All Shall Perish, Hatebreed, Nightwish, My Dying Bride, Gojira..

Death, Progressive, Thrash, Doom, Love it all.
    ( Cept a lot of that new age core stuff )

METAL-HEADS UNITE!!!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Just a short list of what's on my workout playlist:

Slipknot
    Chimaira
    Killswitch Engage
    We Were Gentlemen
    Suicide Silence
    Sepultura
    Fear Factory
    All That Remains
    and quite a bit more.

Gah! I forgot about Fear Factory! Love them! Sepultura is cool, too. Saw them with Ozzie and Type O. :happy:

Ministry, too. I love Ministry!

I saw Sepultura back in 2000 on the Tattoo the Earth tour. I also had a chance to meet and talk to Burton from Fear Factory a couple of times. Decent guy, takes the time to talk to fans instead of just blowing them off like some people do.

HAHAHAHA! I went to the Tattoo the Earth Tour too! I saw Kerry King like mere feet from me. I was in full screaming "OMG IT'S MUTHAF*CKIN KERRY KING" mode. lol Oh well!

That was one of the best shows I'd been to!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I have a 2.5 year old and don't listen to metal with her. The main reason I don't is due to the fact that she's ALL about the Wheels on the Bus and If You're Happy and You Know It. She also likes Kings of Leon, Florence and the Machine, and Irish drinking songs, so, she's still cool, in my book.

However, the last thing I want to do is explain the lyrics of "Good Friends and a Bottle of Pills" to her (one of my favorite Pantera "songs"), and definitely won't be exposing her to Acid Bath, for a LONG time, if ever. Acid Bath helped ME deal with some bad things, in my life, but there's no reason to expose her to such dark, violent lyrics, at this point...or before she hits her late teens. (http://www.darklyrics.com/a/acidbath.html)

I can get not wanting to expose them to the dark stuff too early, innocence of youth and all that. On the other hand, sometimes you don't get that choice. I was exposed to the death of a parent a grand parent and had my puppy run over in front of me on my birthday, all in year 3. I think my dad just threw his hands up and decided the only way I wasn't going to be messed up was if he just confronted it head on. This has lead me to believe kids can deal with a lot more than parents think alot younger than parents think. Whether its GOOD to expose them or not, I wouldn't even try to say, but I don't really think it hurts them any.
  • JWilliams138
    Options
    Right here
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    <snip>

I have a 2.5 year old and don't listen to metal with her. The main reason I don't is due to the fact that she's ALL about the Wheels on the Bus and If You're Happy and You Know It. She also likes Kings of Leon, Florence and the Machine, and Irish drinking songs, so, she's still cool, in my book.

However, the last thing I want to do is explain the lyrics of "Good Friends and a Bottle of Pills" to her (one of my favorite Pantera "songs"), and definitely won't be exposing her to Acid Bath, for a LONG time, if ever. Acid Bath helped ME deal with some bad things, in my life, but there's no reason to expose her to such dark, violent lyrics, at this point...or before she hits her late teens. (http://www.darklyrics.com/a/acidbath.html)

Yeah, we definitely did the "Barney" and "Blue's Clues" songs and all that crap when they were still babies. I grew up in a super-religious home where I was shielded (where they *attempted* to shield me) from "Sex, drugs and rock n roll," but for me, it just led to a lot of lies and pain when I hit 18. The SHTF for real in terms of my personal life choices and my relationship with my parents. So my experiences as a daughter heavily influenced my choices as a mom. I wanted to be 100% honest with them, and to be the kind of mom where they never felt inclined to lie to me, or to run off and hide for fear of disapproval or guilt/shame over their life choices.

It may not be the right choice for other parents, but my kids are in high school and honor roll students, in spite of having a "twisted hippie chick" for a mom. :tongue:
  • chrissiestaddon
    Options
    Does loving Iron Maiden, Metallica, Iced Earth (who I saw last night in London),Megadeth to name a few count as being a metal head? If so, count me in! :)
  • chrissiestaddon
    Options
    Am achieving a dream in July- Iron Maiden and Metallica in one weekend! Heaven!
  • chrissiestaddon
    Options
    i have been fortunate enough to see most of those bands live....and i get to see a few more in june and july! all i can say is bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I listen to Aerosmith and Guns-N-Roses doing cardio.
  • Tomahawk3Niner
    Options
    My work out playlist contains: Metallica, Pantera, Static X, White/Rob Zombie, Godsmack, Black Label Society, American Head Charge, Epica, Tristania, Lacuna Coil, etc., etc.

Rob Zombie's "Ironhead" came on last night while I was finishing up the last jogging portion of W1D2 of C25K and it was awesome to power through the rest of the work out with.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    nope.... it's all classical, easy listening and country for me.....elton john singing tiny dancer....gets me every time....\m/
    ....and for my money, it doesn't get any better than when michael bolton sings when a man loves a woman.....
    Office-Space-Michael-Bolton-Fan-with-Text.gif
    OfficeSpaceBolton.jpg \m/
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

I can get not wanting to expose them to the dark stuff too early, innocence of youth and all that. On the other hand, sometimes you don't get that choice. I was exposed to the death of a parent a grand parent and had my puppy run over in front of me on my birthday, all in year 3. I think my dad just threw his hands up and decided the only way I wasn't going to be messed up was if he just confronted it head on. This has lead me to believe kids can deal with a lot more than parents think alot younger than parents think. Whether its GOOD to expose them or not, I wouldn't even try to say, but I don't really think it hurts them any.

Yep. I was a block away when my uncle was shot and killed by my next door neighbor at age 5, so I get it, and my home life was no picnic in general, but I'm going to let her hold on to the magic of being a little kid for as long as I can. Which is not to say that I'm not going to teach her to steer clear of creepy men, etc., and I'm definitely putting her in a martial arts program when she is old enough to take classes. I just intend to foster the "innocence of youth," as you put it, because she is purposely getting a different upbringing than I did. She may never have to deal with some of the things that I did, and I'll be glad for her, if she doesn't. However, I won't avoid talking to her about real issues or even lie about my history. I just don't see the point in bringing up tough issues, if it's avoidable, when she's clearly not ready to understand them in depth, yet. Seriously, I think my mom's LOVE of the Lifetime channel made me fear life growing up more than normal, since we'd watch it together...and I STILL got sexually assaulted and abused. haha!

The key, I hope, is balance. I can fully immerse her, or I can teach her, as she goes. The latter seems less traumatic, imo.
  • terem00
    terem00 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm loving Asking Alexandria right now. I like to throw in a little Alter Bridge and some A7X.
    Volbeat however will always be my fav!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    <snip>

Yeah, we definitely did the "Barney" and "Blue's Clues" songs and all that crap when they were still babies. I grew up in a super-religious home where I was shielded (where they *attempted* to shield me) from "Sex, drugs and rock n roll," but for me, it just led to a lot of lies and pain when I hit 18. The SHTF for real in terms of my personal life choices and my relationship with my parents. So my experiences as a daughter heavily influenced my choices as a mom. I wanted to be 100% honest with them, and to be the kind of mom where they never felt inclined to lie to me, or to run off and hide for fear of disapproval or guilt/shame over their life choices.

It may not be the right choice for other parents, but my kids are in high school and honor roll students, in spite of having a "twisted hippie chick" for a mom. :tongue:

Yup. I grew up in a strict religion, too. I don't intend to teach her through guilt and shaming, nor do I intend to lie to her. Like you, it definitely negatively impacted me, as well, so she won't hear that kind of religious garbage from me. I just don't purposely expose her to harder metal and violence. It's not necessary for her survival and isn't the only source of enrichment for her life.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    <snip>She may never have to deal with some of the things that I did, and I'll be glad for her, if she doesn't. However, I won't avoid talking to her about real issues or even lie about my history. I just don't see the point in bringing up tough issues, if it's avoidable, when she's clearly not ready to understand them in depth, yet. Seriously, I think my mom's LOVE of the Lifetime channel made me fear life growing up more than normal, since we'd watch it together...and I STILL got sexually assaulted and abused. haha!

The key, I hope, is balance. I can fully immerse her, or I can teach her, as she goes. The latter seems less traumatic, imo.

Our own experiences definitely influence our parenting style. And I totally agree about not bringing up tough issues without a reason to do so. (And LOL @ the "Lifetime channel" comment)
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    nope.... it's all classical, easy listening and country for me.....elton john singing tiny dancer....gets me every time....\m/
    ....and for my money, it doesn't get any better than when michael bolton sings when a man loves a woman.....
    Office-Space-Michael-Bolton-Fan-with-Text.gif
    OfficeSpaceBolton.jpg \m/

Bahahahaha! "I told those fudgepackers that I liked Michael Bolton's music!" :laugh:
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    <snip>She may never have to deal with some of the things that I did, and I'll be glad for her, if she doesn't. However, I won't avoid talking to her about real issues or even lie about my history. I just don't see the point in bringing up tough issues, if it's avoidable, when she's clearly not ready to understand them in depth, yet. Seriously, I think my mom's LOVE of the Lifetime channel made me fear life growing up more than normal, since we'd watch it together...and I STILL got sexually assaulted and abused. haha!

Our own experiences definitely influence our parenting style. And I totally agree about not bringing up tough issues without a reason to do so. (And LOL @ the "Lifetime channel" comment)

Lol! Yep, definitely.

Although, I can't say she won't embrace the "dark side." We went to New Orleans a month ago and stayed in the Waldorf. My daughter tried to hide behind me when these well-dressed, middle-upper class ladies said "hi" to her, but was COMPLETELY enchanted by the "LED light devil man" on stilts and the drunk who wanted to give her a fist bump on Bourbon Street. (Yeah, I took her to Bourbon Street. It was 7 p.m. and not at all rowdy, yet, and I had to have a SINGLE Resurrection. :drinker:)

Lol at myself:

Sweet Home Alabama:

"You've got a baby...in a bar!" :tongue:
  • DesDawn24
    DesDawn24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm loving Asking Alexandria right now. I like to throw in a little Alter Bridge and some A7X.
    Volbeat however will always be my fav!

All great choices, especially A7X! Hail to the King is my favourite song to run to, for some reason. Just good rhythm!
  • MindMelter
    MindMelter Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for reminding me about some groups I forgot about and introducing me to ones I have never heard of before. So glad I stumbled upon this thread!
  • NikkieA7X
    Options
    Avenged Sevenfold are my all time favourite! <3