Cardio vs Weights

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    So being honest is nitpicking? :laugh:

Tell that to my former self. She would have had a ball with it. :flowerforyou:
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for some actual advice here. I just came back, this is day 2 of trying again and hopefully the last time I "try". What has finally clicked is to do something you love to do so that you'll actually work out. I like the elliptical machine, and the exercise bike....but only for a while. Then I begin to hate even looking at the machine and the idea of getting on it for ANOTHER hour makes me want to vomit.

What I do love to do is lifting. I don't know a lot about it yet, I only use the machines so far. I have an appointment with a trainer next Monday and plan to ask about free weights and programs. However, I have this terror that if I don't do cardio I won't lose any weight.

I have the knowledge that muscle weighs more than fat but takes up less space. Muscle also burns more calories in a resting state and the added strength will take away my back and neck pain. When I was doing this before I did 3 days of cardio and 2 days of less cardio + weight machines per week. On day 2 I was already dreading the elliptical though and I am seriously wondering if it is possible to achieve my massive weight loss goals without doing cardio. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

OP: I personally love the bike. I like the elliptical too but for me, it's hard on my knees. Have you tried a spinning class or Zumba? Maybe even hot yoga? Those are some ideas to switch it up so you don't get bored and dread your next work out.

Lifting is wonderful so it's great you love it! You can absolutely lose weight by lifting. Lifting weights helps build muscle and burn fat. It speeds up metabolism as long as you aren't eating excessively. Make sure you are eating at a deficit. It's optimal to combine weight training with cardio exercises, as that may speed up weight loss, but if you truly hate cardio, then just focus on getting really good at lifting. You will see results… especially in the way your body looks overall!

I recommend lifting at least 3x a week and obviously paying close attention to your diet.

Also, don't panic if you don't see a change on the scale and actually see yourself gaining initially. When you first begin any kind of training, your body releases excess amounts of the hormone cortisol, which causes your body to retain water. This doesn't mean you're bulking, it’s just the body adapting to the training. Once your body adapts, the cortisol release ceases and your body flushes the excess water.

Good luck! And don't forget to squat ;)
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    So being honest is nitpicking?

I think it would more accurate to say that the two aren't mutually exclusive.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I'm happy that I have a rower and elliptical at home. I'm happy I lift, too. It's not a "vs" thing for me.
  • chrs86
    chrs86 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    @wozzie67 Swimming is a great and enjoyable workout. If you have the time and extra energy incorporate some intensity training on a cardio machine. I usually do cardio before I swim since it's less tiring my muscles. Sometimes I'll do cardio and strength in the morning and swim in the evening. All depends on my schedule.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Anyway, to actually address the OP:

You need only a calorie deficit to lose weight. This could be achieved through diet alone.

What kind of weight you lose (fat/bone density/muscle/etc) and what your resulting body comp will be is dependant on the training routine you are on.

A sensible calorie deficit + adequate protein + a non-retarded beginners lifting routine + adequate time + consistency will have you shedding mostly fat and getting a ****tonne stronger.

Is it the only way to do things? No. Will it most likely chime with your stated goals? Yes.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Wow...I am so hoping the OP got some answers for her question...

jonnythan, I got what you were saying about doing what you enjoy, and I'm sorry some felt the need to nitpick how you said it. I love to rollerblade...and hike...both get my heart rate up, and don't consider them a workout, simply because when I get to go do them they are a treat and a fun activity that happens to get my heart rate up at the same time. (So does sex, and I don't consider that a workout, either, but a much more regular treat than hiking and blading, LOL...) :bigsmile:

Ok, sorry...back on topic - OP, as a few others have mentioned, if you enjoy it, do check out the StrongLifts 5x5 program. The guy has videos on how to over on youtube; it's compound lifts, only five to remember, and is a really great place to start. I started doing 5x5 last February and doing only a little running sprinkled in over that year, I managed do get down to my goal weight by October. (And that was only lifting three times per week... :wink: )

If you don't enjoy it, you won't do it. Good luck, OP!!! I hope you enjoy lifting! :flowerforyou:

I think I am in love...
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I love both cardio and lifting. I think they are both great but everyone needs to find what works for them.

I love running for my mental health (it is like the only time my brain isn't going a million miles an hour and overanalyzing everything) and lifting for what it does for my body. I know there are runners out there that think lifting is bad for runners but I am in the category that it is beneficial (and it seems this thought is changing, a lot of running resources are now recommending weights).

OP: find what you love. You will stick with it better.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You want to change your mindset from "I want to lose weight" to "I want to lose fat".
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Surely people can agree that not all cardio is the same.

Noooo CV training is only Cardio if its dull as *kitten* hamster wheel stuff in an air conditioned room...

If its something you enjoy doing it cant be Cardio...

Anyway. Im due a 5K run along the Thames tonight, and I intend to enjoy it :)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    OP, both cardio and weights have their benefits. Strength training 3 times per week with some cardio is a good plan with pretty much guaranteed results provide you keep eating at a deficit. As for the cardio, do what you want. Right now I do home workout DVDs, but if my elliptical was living in the house instead of the freezing cold garage, I would be on that thing with a tablet watching all the TV shows I don't have time for as part of my cardio workouts. Nothing wrong with machines when it comes to improving your cardiovascular health.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    You want to change your mindset from "I want to lose weight" to "I want to lose fat".

And even that isnt the most motivating framing. For me its about training to improve my performance,whether distance, speed. Losing Weight helps both of those
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    What I do love to do is lifting.

That is the right reason to do it.
    I have the knowledge that muscle weighs more than fat but takes up less space. Muscle also burns more calories in a resting state and the added strength will take away my back and neck pain.

These are the wrong reasons to do it, because the numbers are very small and, frankly, inconsequential.

I love running and cycling. Track, trail, bush...it's all good. But if I had to get my cardio from a stationary bike and a treadmill, I'd probably blow my own brains out. For *me*, that is just plain soul killing.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I have the knowledge that muscle weighs more than fat but takes up less space. Muscle also burns more calories in a resting state and the added strength will take away my back and neck pain.

These are the wrong reasons to do it, because the numbers are very small and, frankly, inconsequential.

Strength training to relieve back and neck pain is not a "wrong reason."
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

And even that isnt the most motivating framing. For me its about training to improve my performance,whether distance, speed. Losing Weight helps both of those

Yes, well, the number on the scale is a stumbling block for a lot of women. Lifting heavy and focusing on recomp can help break out of that prison when you realize that you can literally weigh the same but be 3 sizes smaller.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Strength training to relieve back and neck pain is not a "wrong reason."

The OP isn't working from experience that it does, she's working from a questionable assumption that it will.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Surely people can agree that not all cardio is the same.

Noooo CV training is only Cardio if its dull as *kitten* hamster wheel stuff in an air conditioned room...

If its something you enjoy doing it cant be Cardio...

Anyway. Im due a 5K run along the Thames tonight, and I intend to enjoy it :)

Yep! Cardio can only be boring, and if it's fun, then it can't be cardio. Truth be damned, just fool yourself into fitness!
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Like many others have said, all you need is a calorie deficit to lose weight, you can achieve that however you want; through diet alone, cardio, weight lifting, or a mix of the two.

Weight lifting is great, it will make you look better, make you stronger, burn calories, build muscle and burn even more calories, etc.

But don't underestimate the powers of cardio. It will make you feel better, exercise longer and burn more calories, help you run up stairs without getting winded, and will help you outrun law enforcement/zombies/etc. You only get one heart.

I usually recommend people to try to get a good mix of the two, and some yoga/stretching.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Here's the takeaway: if you're about to do something you would refer to as "doing cardio," just skip it. Either do something else active that you're doing because it's fun, not because it's "cardio," or just rest instead.

This is ridiculous. You are telling us all not to do something just because YOU don't like a phrase. If I want to go hiking because it's good cardio, I'll flippin' go hiking.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    Here's the takeaway: if you're about to do something you would refer to as "doing cardio," just skip it. Either do something else active that you're doing because it's fun, not because it's "cardio," or just rest instead.

Ummm, okay.

So since I consider running outside as "doing cardio", playing tennis as "doing cardio" and going for a long hike as "doing cardio" according to this I should just sit on the couch and eat bon-bons because apparently it's not fun if I consider it "doing cardio".