Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    bloody-keyboard-wreck-o.gif
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    You want to change your mindset from "I want to lose weight" to "I want to lose fat".

And even that isnt the most motivating framing. For me its about training to improve my performance,whether distance, speed. Losing Weight helps both of those

Yes, well, the number on the scale is a stumbling block for a lot of women. Lifting heavy and focusing on recomp can help break out of that prison when you realize that you can literally weigh the same but be 3 sizes smaller.

Indeed, and while all the semantic wrangling and associated hissy fits is amusing it highlights a really important point about the diet industry. People need to frame things in meaningful ways, and the industry doesn't cultivate that thinking.

Fairly frequently when I venture into the "advice" threads I'll ask what a questioner is wanting to achieve, or "what does good look like", in part to frame the more appropriate response and in part to prompt the thinking. What prompted it for me was someone answering my first thread with a completely irrelevant response for my situation.

Similarly when someone says "I don't like Cardio" then it helps to understand what they mean by that, is it in front of a DVD five times a week, or the hamster wheel nonsense in an air conditioned room, getting out on a road bike once a week or throwing themselves and a chunk of aluminium and rubber around some singletrack. Lots of different options and I exhibit no surprise that people get bored in gyms.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Surely people can agree that not all cardio is the same.

Noooo CV training is only Cardio if its dull as *kitten* hamster wheel stuff in an air conditioned room...

If its something you enjoy doing it cant be Cardio...

Anyway. Im due a 5K run along the Thames tonight, and I intend to enjoy it :)

Yep! Cardio can only be boring, and if it's fun, then it can't be cardio. Truth be damned, just fool yourself into fitness!

OK, so I did a lifting session for 5Km at 5Min per Km pace...

Or have I misunderstood the logic somewhere along the discussion?

:)
  • MyIrishSpirit
    MyIrishSpirit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, lots of good info. Because of my schedule I do 5 hours one week and 6 the next. I think I have an action plan now. Get Starting Strength, speak with trainer, and I want to flip flop my schedule so I have more days of lifting.

Cardio IS very good for you from a whole health standpoint and I believe the people stating so are right. It shouldn't be given up completely and I do feel great afterward. Sadly, in the cold northeast US I have no access to a pool or outdoor sports this time of year. Nor can I go to group classes as my schedule really only permits a 4:30am workout. But I think I can stomach the machines if I switch it up and do 1 less day of it. When Spring hits I'll be back outside, happy thoughts!
  • MyIrishSpirit
    MyIrishSpirit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    What I do love to do is lifting.

That is the right reason to do it.
    I have the knowledge that muscle weighs more than fat but takes up less space. Muscle also burns more calories in a resting state and the added strength will take away my back and neck pain.

These are the wrong reasons to do it, because the numbers are very small and, frankly, inconsequential.

Strength training to relieve back and neck pain is not a "wrong reason."

The OP isn't working from experience that it does, she's working from a questionable assumption that it will.

I don't REALLY know about the scientifics of it taking away back and neck pain, I know that when I was doing this exact regime before I had no pain. I built core strength and it helped my back immensely, I get terrible tension headaches and migraines but when I built up some muscle they stopped and so did the knots in my neck. It could have been lifting or just working out in general.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    What I do love to do is lifting.

That is the right reason to do it.
    I have the knowledge that muscle weighs more than fat but takes up less space. Muscle also burns more calories in a resting state and the added strength will take away my back and neck pain.

These are the wrong reasons to do it, because the numbers are very small and, frankly, inconsequential.

Strength training to relieve back and neck pain is not a "wrong reason."

The OP isn't working from experience that it does, she's working from a questionable assumption that it will.

There's a great deal of real evidence that strength training can alleviate back and neck pain. It's not a questionable assumption.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Here's the takeaway: if you're about to do something you would refer to as "doing cardio," just skip it. Either do something else active that you're doing because it's fun, not because it's "cardio," or just rest instead.

This is ridiculous. You are telling us all not to do something just because YOU don't like a phrase. If I want to go hiking because it's good cardio, I'll flippin' go hiking.
    How about this then....

Certian people do not do cardio just for the sake of doing cardio...ie getting on a treadmill to walk and/or run 5 miles just to get cardio, or getting on a bike and doing a 10k ride just to do cardio

The "cardio" that is done is for sheer enjoyment not for the exercise hence we don't call it "cardio" because for us that word means we are doing it just do the exercise and fitness aspects of it instead of because we want to...

regardless of the cardiovascular workout it gives us...
  • shrewd1983
    Options
    Doing Cardio in a gym is not fun for anyone usually. Get an Mp3 player or use your smartphone to listen to music or watch your favourite show and it will make things a lot easier.

Loosing fat is more about diet then actually exercising.

Have a read, I'm sure the page below with answer most of your questions:

http://www.reddit.com/r/loseit/wiki/faq
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Certian people do not do cardio just for the sake of doing cardio...ie getting on a treadmill to walk and/or run 5 miles just to get cardio, or getting on a bike and doing a 10k ride just to do cardio

But some people do. And equally some people do resistance training purely because it's a necessary part of an effective regime.

What I find funny is that there are many respondents who prefer CV but do resistance training, there are lots of lifters who essentially dismiss CV as irrelevant. Then there are the people who dismiss CV to those who don't really get the distinction, and then call it something else.

The key point is to do something that one enjoys, although there is an element of doing it because it's beneficial that could be emphasised.

I refer back to my original, albeit sarcastic, comment; I run...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Surely people can agree that not all cardio is the same.

Noooo CV training is only Cardio if its dull as *kitten* hamster wheel stuff in an air conditioned room...

If its something you enjoy doing it cant be Cardio...

Anyway. Im due a 5K run along the Thames tonight, and I intend to enjoy it :)

Yep! Cardio can only be boring, and if it's fun, then it can't be cardio. Truth be damned, just fool yourself into fitness!

OK, so I did a lifting session for 5Km at 5Min per Km pace...

Or have I misunderstood the logic somewhere along the discussion?

:)

Yep. You missed the logic, right along with me. (The comment above is sarcasm.)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Here's the takeaway: if you're about to do something you would refer to as "doing cardio," just skip it. Either do something else active that you're doing because it's fun, not because it's "cardio," or just rest instead.

This is ridiculous. You are telling us all not to do something just because YOU don't like a phrase. If I want to go hiking because it's good cardio, I'll flippin' go hiking.
    How about this then....

The "cardio" that is done is for sheer enjoyment not for the exercise hence we don't call it "cardio" because for us that word means we are doing it just do the exercise and fitness aspects of it instead of because we want to...

That's fine and dandy. But when that person then comes to the forum to tell someone else about the great success they had without "doing cardio", that person is lying.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

How about this then....

That's fine and dandy. But when that person then comes to the forum to tell someone else about the great success they had without "doing cardio", that person is lying.

welcome to mfp where endless debates about nothing gobble up valuable training time.....
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

How about this then....

welcome to mfp where endless debates about nothing gobble up valuable training time.....

Why are you on the forums instead of training? :laugh:

I wish I had more "training time," but alas, I'm stuck at work all day. :ohwell:
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

How about this then....

I wish I had more "training time," but alas, I'm stuck at work all day. :ohwell:

Touché!

I already went before work. Now I'm just wasting company time...
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

How about this then....

Touché!

I already went before work. Now I'm just wasting company time...

I am excellent at wasting company time. :laugh:
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I wanted to address your comment about feeling "too fat" to join sports. One of my largest sized friends is the most active.
    He jogs, plays tennis, hockey, various other sports teams, his work involves a lot of moving around as well. He does not let his size stop him from doing what he enjoys doing. Food is his undoing not his activity level. He is busy every night of the week and does not sit on the couch all night.

It is important to find things that you enjoy.

I can go (and I do) to the gym and spend hours there, I focus mainly on strength training and can only manage a maximum of 30 minutes on the treadmill for cardio and that's only if I have my music with me.

I don't worry too much about cardio since I have found active things I enjoy doing like swimming, tai chi, skiing, hiking, walking, jump rope etc.

I also don't have cable so when I am home I clean, cook dinner, do chores so I am not sitting. Plus since I try to keep busy outside of home I am rarely there.
  • WantToBeHealthy36
    Options
    bumping for later :wink:
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    BTW, I don't do cardio (though I do play tennis and racquetball).

That sentence can't possibly be true.

I read it as "I don't do cardio, except the cardio that I do"...

In my case I'd frame it as "I don't do cardio machines, I run..."

"Doing cardio" is not fun.

Having fun is fun.

The point is to have fun, not "do cardio." Fun is good for the body and mind. Don't underestimate the psychological and physical benefits of being active and having fun. Torturing yourself by "doing cardio" that's no fun is not good for you.

Though I do "do cardio" I agree with what you're saying