Paleo lifestyle... Have you tried it? How did you feel?

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Those people would probably do better with IIFYM, since weight loss is their only concern and they are happy to trade their energy/sleep/clear skin for pizza, bagels & twinkies. In the end, you gotta do what makes you happy, right?

You are so right, I have completely turned my health around and have gotten off all prescription meds, I have loads of energy, sleep like a baby and don't even have to wear makeup because I have no blemishes on my skin.

oh wait... I DID ALL THAT WITH IIFYM.

You clearly don't know much about IIFYM or the reasons people do it. Your statement is idiotic...

All the people that come out of the woodwork to talk about IIFYM on paleo threads, and I've never seen a single one talk about anything other than weightloss. Of course, I haven't read every post on every paleo thread either...

ETA: Congrats on finding what works for YOU!
    I believe we can add you to the list that doesn't really understand what IIFYM is. Both diets are based on whole and minimally processed foods, the only exception is that IIFYM doesn't banish food groups to the nutritional wasteland. I like tomatoes, beans, lentils, peppers, peas, cheese, baguettes, corn on the cob, potatoes, butter, yogurt, peanut butter, oats, rice, maple syrup or the occasional cake, pastry, pizza or ice cream if there's room left after meeting the daily macro/micro requirements..........these foods are apparently the destruction of the health of modern civilization and if you remove them you will what? what will happen exactly?
  • RoseGoldDinosaur
    RoseGoldDinosaur Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I like paleo and work toward it as an ideal. 90% paleo is probably where I hit. After trying it, it's obvious that wheat and processed carbs make my body feel bad. So does dairy. Ditching sugar and processed junk food seems like a no-brainer. The only things I'm not on board with are completely cutting peanuts and beans and also condiments. We use organic or make our own at my house, but I see no reason I can't season my food.

I highly recommend trying it for yourself and seeing what feels good to you. I always thought vegan was the way to achieve optimal health, and for some people I'm sure it is, but for me paleo hits closer to the mark. Or maybe I should say "clean eating"?
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Those people would probably do better with IIFYM, since weight loss is their only concern and they are happy to trade their energy/sleep/clear skin for pizza, bagels & twinkies. In the end, you gotta do what makes you happy, right?

You are so right, I have completely turned my health around and have gotten off all prescription meds, I have loads of energy, sleep like a baby and don't even have to wear makeup because I have no blemishes on my skin.

oh wait... I DID ALL THAT WITH IIFYM.

You clearly don't know much about IIFYM or the reasons people do it. Your statement is idiotic...

All the people that come out of the woodwork to talk about IIFYM on paleo threads, and I've never seen a single one talk about anything other than weightloss. Of course, I haven't read every post on every paleo thread either...

ETA: Congrats on finding what works for YOU!
    ...these foods are apparently the destruction of the health of modern civilization and if you remove them you will what? what will happen exactly?

Sure there are paleo zealots out there who would say that. I'm not one of them. I think there are 2 (maybe 3) types of people. Those who don't have a problem eating those foods in moderation and those that do. And there's that 3rd group who eliminates only the foods that cause them issues such as digestive distress, joint pain...etc. Some people, like myself, don't do "moderation" very well, but do elimination quite well and even find that we don't miss those foods. Others can't stand to eliminate their "favorite foods" and therefor they limit them. Paleo isn't for everyone. Neither is IIFYM. Some people can't/won't stop at just one piece of pizza (because that's all the room they have in their macros for the day) or 1/2 cup of ice cream. I find that the foods that I am eating now are satiating and satisfying and I very rarely feel the need to just keep eating mindlessly like I did in the past. For example: I can happily eat a handful of pecans and walk away. Not so much with potato chips or cheetos. They are not satiating. At all. They only leaving me wanting more.

I have never felt the need to seek out threads where people are considering IIFYM and asking for advice and say "IIFYM is stupid, you should try paleo." Why? Because obviously IIFYM works for some people!!!! Awesome! Same with LCHF and other "diets." The only methods to health & weight loss that are obviously (to me) not worth even trying for anyone are the ones that require you to take a pill that makes you *kitten* yourself or where you drink a special drink all day and then eat a "sensible" dinner and exercise. That's silliness and obviously not sustainable.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Just another fad…. *sigh* I mean no legumes? Seriously?

Beans may be fine for you, but there are large numbers of people, including complete ethnic groups that cannot digest them. Inuit for one. And I'm a Heinz 57 and I can't tolerate them so....

Just because legumes are fine for you it's a "fad" for other people to eliminate a food that makes them sick? Yeah, that's the "logic" that I see here far too much.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest issues with paleo besides the fact it is so big on demonizing food and is cult like (god the paleo police are atrocious)... is that people don't learn what is working and why.

They think the fact that whole foods and clean grass feed meat are doing it for them.

And it's not- it's a calorie deficit. Sure they feel better because they are probably eating more veggies and fat and less sugar- and creating a more well balanced diet to help you function- but the reality is- the weight loss isn't from fancy food- it's from a calorie deficit.

Those are my two big beefs about it (and no- not grass feed beefs- regular plain old Shop Rite beefs)

The majority of people that start the journey of the Paleo or whole foods lifestyle is because it is mostly anti-inflammatory by nature of what your eating.

Most of us are not looking for weight loss, but a means to heal our bodies from chronic illnesses without the use of heavy duty pharmaceuticals that cause more harm than good in the long term.

2 years and I am still healing my adrenals, hormone issues and such - so most times my weight loss is very slow or nothing at all. Until my body reaches homeostasis again, I will not experience weightloss no matter how much or how little I eat.

I have to heal the damage that has been done.

The weight loss is merely an added benefit.

I'm sorry... but no, not at all. The MAJORITY of people start it because they think it's a golden ticket to rapid fat loss. Your particular issues, if true, are not indicative of the whole "paleo population".

I'm sorry, but no, not at all. ALL of my Paleo friends are Paleo for health first and foremost. The newbies who come to it just for weight loss don't usually last, I'm sorry to say.... except sometimes they get blown away by the health improvements and shift their focus. I was extremely obese when I started, but weight loss was pretty low on the totem pole next to prediabetes, severe depression, joint pain, GERD, leaky gut, binge eating disorder etc etc etc.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

Beans may be fine for you, but there are large numbers of people, including complete ethnic groups that cannot digest them. Inuit for one. And I'm a Heinz 57 and I can't tolerate them so....

Just because legumes are fine for you it's a "fad" for other people to eliminate a food that makes them sick? Yeah, that's the "logic" that I see here far too much.

Obviously, if someone can't tolerate beans, it's a not good idea for them to have them.

What I see from the Paleo community (in general) though, is that no-one should have beans, grains, or dairy even though they do tolerate them. Why should they eliminate foods that they enjoy and don't make them sick just because some people (like yourself) don't tolerate them? To me, that is illogical.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest issues with paleo besides the fact it is so big on demonizing food and is cult like (god the paleo police are atrocious)... is that people don't learn what is working and why.

They think the fact that whole foods and clean grass feed meat are doing it for them.

And it's not- it's a calorie deficit. Sure they feel better because they are probably eating more veggies and fat and less sugar- and creating a more well balanced diet to help you function- but the reality is- the weight loss isn't from fancy food- it's from a calorie deficit.

Those are my two big beefs about it (and no- not grass feed beefs- regular plain old Shop Rite beefs)

The majority of people that start the journey of the Paleo or whole foods lifestyle is because it is mostly anti-inflammatory by nature of what your eating.

Most of us are not looking for weight loss, but a means to heal our bodies from chronic illnesses without the use of heavy duty pharmaceuticals that cause more harm than good in the long term.

2 years and I am still healing my adrenals, hormone issues and such - so most times my weight loss is very slow or nothing at all. Until my body reaches homeostasis again, I will not experience weightloss no matter how much or how little I eat.

I'm sorry... but no, not at all. The MAJORITY of people start it because they think it's a golden ticket to rapid fat loss. Your particular issues, if true, are not indicative of the whole "paleo population".

I'm sorry, but no, not at all. ALL of my Paleo friends are Paleo for health first and foremost. The newbies who come to it just for weight loss don't usually last, I'm sorry to say.... except sometimes they get blown away by the health improvements and shift their focus. I was extremely obese when I started, but weight loss was pretty low on the totem pole next to prediabetes, severe depression, joint pain, GERD, leaky gut, binge eating disorder etc etc etc.

So then my statement saying that people start it for that reason is true. I never said anything about maintaining it. It's marketed in such a way that you don't have to count calories etc because all of the paleo food is "clean", and we all know eating "clean" food means you defy the laws of thermodynamics ;)
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options

Obviously, if someone can't tolerate beans, it's a not good idea for them to have them.

What I see from the Paleo community (in general) though, is that no-one should have beans, grains, or dairy even though they do tolerate them. Why should they eliminate foods that they enjoy and don't make them sick just because some people (like yourself) don't tolerate them? To me, that is illogical.

Hmm you are obvisously not part of the paleo community. The community, in general, suggests you eliminate those things for a time, see how you feel, and reintroduce them and compare. Most people don't realize the things that make them sick (or that it is truly part of a sickness not just aging) until they are removed. I figured, what the hell, it is only 30 days. Those 30 days of strict paleo opened a world of possiblity to me. I no longer suffer from chronic foot or neck pain, I'm no depressed, I don't have migraines, my skin glows and I still eat an occasional SAD meal. Diary doesn't seem to bother me, beans I'm not sure I have never had the desire to reintroduce, but gluten and sugar render me in pain. If you would have asked me prior to my paleo experiment, I would have told you I wasn't sick, but I guess because I experimented I'm illogical.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

Hmm you are obvisously not part of the paleo community. The community, in general, suggests you eliminate those things for a time, see how you feel, and reintroduce them and compare. Most people don't realize the things that make them sick (or that it is truly part of a sickness not just aging) until they are removed. I figured, what the hell, it is only 30 days. Those 30 days of strict paleo opened a world of possiblity to me. I no longer suffer from chronic foot or neck pain, I'm no depressed, I don't have migraines, my skin glows and I still eat an occasional SAD meal. Diary doesn't seem to bother me, beans I'm not sure I have never had the desire to reintroduce, but gluten and sugar render me in pain. If you would have asked me prior to my paleo experiment, I would have told you I wasn't sick, but I guess because I experimented I'm illogical.
    So basically what your saying is if grain, dairy, beans, nightshades don't effect you then they're ok to consume in the paleo diet?
  • SnicciFit
    Options

So then my statement saying that people start it for that reason is true. I never said anything about maintaining it. It's marketed in such a way that you don't have to count calories etc because all of the paleo food is "clean", and we all know eating "clean" food means you defy the laws of thermodynamics ;)

This argument is getting so old. Just because you aren't counting calories doesn't mean you aren't in a deficit. It just means you aren't counting them. Period. Like I said in a previous post, by eating foods that are satiating (and not eating foods that are not), yeah, ya probably eat less. It's not rocket science. There's no reason you can't be in a caloric deficit without counting calories. For many people (not all), they find that counting isn't necessary when they eat paleo. I like to call it "intuitive eating."
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Never said that either. I said that is it marketed that way.
  • dayone987
    Options

So basically what your saying is if grain, dairy, beans, nightshades don't effect you then they're ok to consume in the paleo diet?

I guess so...

http://robbwolf.com/2012/10/24/shades-paleo/

After a few shades though, might as well call it IIFYM.
  • SnicciFit
    Options

I guess so...

Right, so then people might start with paleo and end up at IIFYM. Woah.
  • dayone987
    Options

I guess so...

Right, so then people might start with paleo and end up at IIFYM. Woah.

But then according to your statement, they started Paleo and no longer are because they're now IIFYM because they added stuff that isn't classic Paleo?

Is this like vegetarians that eat fish?
  • dayone987
    Options
    OP (if you're still around) here's a good read from someone who used to be Paleo.

http://huntgatherlove.com/content/breaking-paleo
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    OP (if you're still around) here's a good read from someone who used to be Paleo.

That's actually a great read! I keep a very open mind about nutrition and find that I am constantly learning new things (some are contradictory to old things that I learned) and I agree that some "paleo groups" are more about food fear mongering than anything else (not everyone is like that though!). Like the author, I learned a ton from paleo and I continue to apply the majority of of the concepts of paleo with the understanding that my "paleo" can be different from someone else's. I don't think there was ever hard & fast rules that were followed by all paleo writers/bloggers/cooks...etc. I also consider that, like the author, some of my issues may be completely resolved now and I may be able to add in some foods. And I do. For example, I tried adding in rice and found that I had no ill effects from it, so I eat it occasionally. I have not tested gluten in over a year, but I might try it again sometime. I have recently tested dairy and found that small amounts are tolerable. I don't have any desire to cook with rice or dairy products at home, but if someone else prepares a meal for me with them in it, I don't turn it down :) Thank you for sharing that link.
  • dayone987
    Options

That's actually a great read! I keep a very open mind about nutrition and find that I am constantly learning new things (some are contradictory to old things that I learned) and I agree that some "paleo groups" are more about food fear mongering than anything else (not everyone is like that though!). Like the author, I learned a ton from paleo and I continue to apply the majority of of the concepts of paleo with the understanding that my "paleo" can be different from someone else's. I don't think there was ever hard & fast rules that were followed by all paleo writers/bloggers/cooks...etc. I also consider that, like the author, some of my issues may be completely resolved now and I may be able to add in some foods. And I do. For example, I tried adding in rice and found that I had no ill effects from it, so I eat it occasionally. I have not tested gluten in over a year, but I might try it again sometime. I have recently tested dairy and found that small amounts are tolerable. I don't have any desire to cook with rice or dairy products at home, but if someone else prepares a meal for me with them in it, I don't turn it down :) Thank you for sharing that link.

Glad you enjoyed it. From what I've read over the last few years, I think that the Paleo crowd did have quite hard and fast rules on what one should eat. I'm all for people eating food that makes them happy and healthy, and if the Paleo groups are open to lifting unnecessary restrictions, I think more people will be able to adhere to a healthier way of eating whether or not it's true Paleo.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I think once grains are introduced as anything other than a cheat day item, you've stopped doing Paleo.

And sorry if I insinuated that Paleo is strictly low carb earlier. Most folks I know that eat Paleo end up eating less carbs than they did before. While vegetables are the cornerstone of any good Paleo meal, they tend to be less carby than grains.
  • Ximana
    Ximana Posts: 26
    Options
    how silly, if your not careful

half of you will end up

with undiagnosed diabetes

meat will have caused it

men and women will have weakened kidneys

find a way to put fiber in your diet

for you.

fill up on whole fruits and veggies

good luck

try hemp and chia seeds
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Try the paleo group. You'll find a lot of people there who can tell you their experiences.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/54-primal-paleo-support-group

This. I'd love to talk about my experience and success with a ketogenic version of a Paleo lifestyle. But not here. I'm done with people telling my how "bad" (omg cutting out whole food groups!) or "restrictive" (cuz eating ribeye steaks, side pork, and vegetables soaked in delicious fats, etc is so terrible) my lifestyle is when I absolutely LOVE, it makes me healthy (we've been lied to), and I lose weight effortlessly. Whatever.

PS. It is cheaper to eat this way, and I can explain how. (I've kept track of my spending for years.)

ill take the steak, pork fat, AND the bread, dairy etc...and I will have no problem comparing my results to yours any day of the week...

and I am sure that our paleo brethren were munching down on ribeyes, side pork, vegetables soaked in fat, etc while they were sitting around the cave grunting at each other...sounds legit.

Comparing my results with yours? See that's the BS I'm talking about. You are a man. I'm a woman. Do you know my health situation, my life experience, etc? What's yours? Wow, you definitely have bigger muscles than me- what am I doing wrong?!!!

meaning, I will eat all the foods and be satisfied with my results....restrict nothing, enjoy food.

I have no desire to eat like a caveman. I still don't think cavemen had access to ribeyes, or veggies soaked in fat...

then dont