Paleo lifestyle... Have you tried it? How did you feel?

Options

Replies

• vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I've been Primal/Paleo for about 5 or 6 months now, and I love it!!! Now that I'm past the first few months I've added a few things back in (for example, Peanut Butter. I love almond butter, but it's too pricey for me to buy every week) I also eat a lot of unprocessed, unflavored dairy products. I've found it extremely easy to sustain myself eating Paleo. Once a month or so I will add in a day where I eat whatever I want, but for the most part I don't even miss processed foods. And I hardly ever get hungry, because most of may calories come from protein and good quality fats, not simple carbs. It's an awesome lifestyle. And don't believe anyone when they say it must be unhealthy because it cuts out food groups. Your body can't tell if you're eating a grain or a vegetable, all it knows is what the food is made up of, ie carbs, protein, fiber, calories, etc. If the macros and calories balance out, your body will be happy.

because we all know our paleolithic brethren loved some peanut butter...

hahaha
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    What I like about paleo--it advocates eating whole foods that don't come with a long list of unpronounceable ingredients. So naturally your eliminating a lot of processed junk from your diet. I think that's where a whole lot of the benefits come from. But yeah I don't see myself cutting out things I love like rice, oats, pasta and bread forever. And I don't feel awful eating them so it wouldn't be sustainable for me to eat this way.

the implication being that all processed foods are bad. Technically a ribeye is processed, is that bad for you?
    Well you can list and pronounce all of the ingredients that go into cooking a rib eye steak, right? Meat, spices, maybe butter and oil...Versus say a Twinkie? Lol

I checked and yeah, I can in fact pronounce everything in a twinkie.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    What I like about paleo--it advocates eating whole foods that don't come with a long list of unpronounceable ingredients. So naturally your eliminating a lot of processed junk from your diet. I think that's where a whole lot of the benefits come from. But yeah I don't see myself cutting out things I love like rice, oats, pasta and bread forever. And I don't feel awful eating them so it wouldn't be sustainable for me to eat this way.

the implication being that all processed foods are bad. Technically a ribeye is processed, is that bad for you?
    Well you can list and pronounce all of the ingredients that go into cooking a rib eye steak, right? Meat, spices, maybe butter and oil...Versus say a Twinkie? Lol

If I do the cooking then yes….if Vinnie in the kitchen at so and so restaurant is doing the cooking then no….I also have no idea how they processed said ribeye when they butchered the cow and then packaged the meat either...
    Yes we more or less process and manipulate most foods when we preserve, cook, grill, fry and dolly them up with spices or whatever unless your on a 100% raw diet. So what then? I would be just as healthy eating a well balanced diet full of twinkies, icecream, pizza, bacon and burgers as one with lean mean meats, veggies, fruits, nut and possibly whole grains that are closer to their natural state? Lol

In a word? Yes.
  • Whambam087
    Options

Good but do you know what they are?
  • Achrya
    Options

Yes, actually. It's not a complicated list.

http://www.today.com/id/38872091/ns/today-today_food/t/ingredients-twinkie-eaters-ingest/#.UuWfpRB6eUk

Which ones of these do you not know/aren't able to figure out the purpose of via it's name?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

If I do the cooking then yes….if Vinnie in the kitchen at so and so restaurant is doing the cooking then no….I also have no idea how they processed said ribeye when they butchered the cow and then packaged the meat either...
    Yes we more or less process and manipulate most foods when we preserve, cook, grill, fry and dolly them up with spices or whatever unless your on a 100% raw diet. So what then? I would be just as healthy eating a well balanced diet full of twinkies, icecream, pizza, bacon and burgers as one with lean mean meats, veggies, fruits, nut and possibly whole grains that are closer to their natural state? Lol

well, I go more 80/20…80% healthy and 20% whatever I want. I cook my own food, but do not fret over "processed" all that much. I find that hitting macros, eating in deficit, and lifting heavy works well for me and I still get to eat some of the foods that I like.

Like tonight, I am going to have Linguine with clams and red sauce and a little bit of bread with that..and then I will have a serving of ice cream for dessert. I will be at about 2000 cals for the day which is a deficit for me…I will be a little over on carbs for the day but i will not fret it ..for the week I have hit my macros perfectly….

^ this just makes more sense to me then restricting a food group...
  • Whambam087
    Options
    What I like about paleo--it advocates eating whole foods that don't come with a long list of unpronounceable ingredieuhhnts. So naturally your eliminating a lot of processed junk from your diet. I think that's where a whole lot of the benefits come from. But yeah I don't see myself cutting out things I love like rice, oats, pasta and bread forever. And I don't feel awful eating them so it wouldn't be sustainable for me to eat this way.

http://www.today.com/id/38872091/ns/today-today_food/t/ingredients-twinkie-eaters-ingest/#.UuWfpRB6eUk

Which ones of these do you not know/aren't able to figure out the purpose of via it's name?
    Well thanks to the internet you can look up practically anything but come on who walks around knowing what exactly polysorbate60 is? Lol
  • Achrya
    Options
    What I like about paleo--it advocates eating whole foods that don't come with a long list of unpronounceable ingredieuhhnts. So naturally your eliminating a lot of processed junk from your diet. I think that's where a whole lot of the benefits come from. But yeah I don't see myself cutting out things I love like rice, oats, pasta and bread forever. And I don't feel awful eating them so it wouldn't be sustainable for me to eat this way.

Well thanks to the internet you can look up practically anything but come on who walks around knowing what exactly polysorbate60 is? Lol

I just want to note that there is no polysorbate60 in twinkies.

Carry on.
  • Whambam087
    Options

Carry on.
    Well one site says it is an ingredient...I guess there's too many and people get confused lol. But that's beyond the point. I do not follow paleo but I originally said the positive about it was that it cuts out a lot of the processed unhealthy foods. And it more or less does. By eating primarily meats, veggies, fruits, and nuts your not eating Frankenfoods like Twinkies. And come on are we seriously going to argue that a Twinkie is highly nutritious right up there with broccoli? Lol
  • Whambam087
    Options

well, I go more 80/20…80% healthy and 20% whatever I want. I cook my own food, but do not fret over "processed" all that much. I find that hitting macros, eating in deficit, and lifting heavy works well for me and I still get to eat some of the foods that I like.

Like tonight, I am going to have Linguine with clams and red sauce and a little bit of bread with that..and then I will have a serving of ice cream for dessert. I will be at about 2000 cals for the day which is a deficit for me…I will be a little over on carbs for the day but i will not fret it ..for the week I have hit my macros perfectly….

I totally agree with 80/20 too lol. Your dinner sounds absolutely delicious by the way!
  • Achrya
    Options

Carry on.
    Well one site says it is an ingredient...I guess there's too many and people get confused lol. But that's beyond the point. I do not follow paleo but I originally said the positive about it was that it cuts out a lot of the processed unhealthy foods. And it more or less does. By eating primarily meats, veggies, fruits, and nuts your not eating Frankenfoods like Twinkies. And come on are we seriously going to argue that a Twinkie is highly nutritious right up there with broccoli? Lol

Who ever claimed that trinkies are as nutrient dense as broccoli? No one?

I don't need all of my food to be as nutrient dense as broccoli. What purpose would that serve? Do I get extra special bonus weight loss points if all of my food is nutrient dense? I eat my veg, I eat my fruit, I eat my meat, and I can eat my twinkies. One doesn't some how detract from the other.

Not nuts though. I hate nuts.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I totally agree with 80/20 too lol. Your dinner sounds absolutely delicious by the way!

oh it was delicious…!!!
  • Shambree813
    Shambree813 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Started it around, idk, July or so. Dropped a lot of weight easily, have been maintaining (read: eating as much as I want and not logging anything) and working on building muscle lately.

Basically... I flipping love it. I have NEVER been able to lose weight easily. before, it was an uphill battle and I found myself thinking 'well... maybe it won't be so bad being a size 14, i could just buy some new clothes that will fit me'.

Now I'm having to buy new clothes in size 10 because everything is too big. (partially due to weight loss, partially body recomp)

And I have discovered through this that I'm really sensitive to gluten, wheat and dairy. I found out that my mum had allergy tests done when she was about 20yo and was allergic to all of the above; but never did anything about it. I would never have known if I hadn't tried paleo and had such fantastic results.

So at the moment, I'm living paleo lifestyle effortlessly. If I eat out at a restaurant I get a bigass steak. I never feel the urge to cheat and eat pastries or bread or milkshakes. I miss none of it.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^all of the above for me too. I know I will have to log the closer I get to goal, but so far just paleo lifestyle and removed wheat. I do track my workouts. I feel so much better and like the above poster, I dont crave the way I did all my life. I love it.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    Simply because it's not necessary to be so strict with your diet, doesn't mean that you shouldn't be strict with your diet. Some people do well with structure, while others do well with complete freedom. Of course you don't have to give up bread to lose weight, but some people find it much easier to lose weight when they do give up bread. What's unnecessary is people pointing out "but you could do IIFYM!" in every thread that's not about IIFYM. :wink:

This x 1000 :flowerforyou:
  • Cat_Lifts
    Cat_Lifts Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Jeez, now I'm thinking maybe I ought to try out Paleo for a week, or even primal, just to see how it goes.

I've done a few days so far of the Engine 2 Diet, a 'plant strong' diet. It's practically vegan with no oil, and I gotta admit, it's tough as heck when you're a huge foodie. I'm already really missing chicken, fish, red meat, and my greek yogurt... :grumble: If anything, it's been a reset to help me incorporate more fruits and vegetables back into my diet. As silly as it sounds I feel empty, like something is missing physically, if I haven't had any meat or animal protein. I might have a problem. :laugh:
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Just another fad…. *sigh* I mean no legumes? Seriously?
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options

The diet has a few main points: reducing sugar (good!), reducing carbohydrates (good, if you find success with low carb), increasing nutrient dense foods (good!), and finally, to address your concerns: reducing possible sources of digestive issues and inflammation.

Dairy & legumes fall in a category in which you cut them out for some time before trying them again. If you have no ill effects, cool. If you find either one leaves you bloated or with some other digestive upset, then cut them out. The paleo diet seems incredibly strict, and in some ways it is, but it is not completely inflexible.

Another knock on beans is that while they seem healthy, just eating more meat + vegetable is normally a more nutritionally appealing option.
    Jeez, now I'm thinking maybe I ought to try out Paleo for a week, or even primal, just to see how it goes.

I've done a few days so far of the Engine 2 Diet, a 'plant strong' diet. It's practically vegan with no oil, and I gotta admit, it's tough as heck when you're a huge foodie. I'm already really missing chicken, fish, red meat, and my greek yogurt... grumble If anything, it's been a reset to help me incorporate more fruits and vegetables back into my diet. As silly as it sounds I feel empty, like something is missing physically, if I haven't had any meat or animal protein. I might have a problem. laugh

I wouldn't do Paleo for just a week. Commit to it for a month if you want to really feel a change. Allow yourself a day where you can have non-Paleo foods for a couple meals to keep yourself sane during that first month.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I think Paleo is a label people are starting to use in a attempt to make themselves and others think they eat a much "healthier" diet than they actually do and that not that many people actually eat Paleo. This observation is solely based on the number of people on my FB newsfeed talking about how awesome they feel now that they eat Paleo, and then checking in two hours later from the bar with a picture of a table full of pub fare, toasting the camera with their alcohol.

The whole "more paleo than thou" game is really stupid. Just eat what you feel is a healthy, sustainable diet for you, and stop trying to police who is or is not allowed to call their diet "paleo" because if you're not catching your own food using stone age weapons and preparing it with stone age tools, it's not paleo and if you're eating food that's the product of farming and/or selective breeding, it's not paleo. The diet that gets touted on the internet as "paleo" isn't even close to any actual paleolithic diets. The pseudo-paleo diet of internet gurus may be reasonably healthy in that it doesn't lack any important nutrients, but it's not actually paleo. And just because you have friends who occasionally eat pub food while otherwise following the pseudo-paleo diet, does not mean that their diet is less healthy than yours.

I didn't say anything about the health of my diet, or anyone else's diet, nor do I eat paleo or any other kind of "label" diet. I'm all for people finding a healthy, sustainable diet that works for them. Ok, I'm lying, I really don't give a toss what people eat, I hope they eat healthy but if they eat cupcakes all day it really has no bearing on my life.

I'm just tired people pretending to be part of whichever revolutionary new eating plan is popular at the moment, lecturing people about how much healthier they are than other people and how certain foods are "bad" or "unhealthy," then finding ways to justify eating "bad" foods when it's something they like. So I guess you would say I'm tired of the "more healthy than thou" nonsense that seems to come with these "label" diets.

Okay, I took your post the wrong way.... I agree with your 2nd paragraph above, I feel the same way... your post came across as telling people they're not allowed to call themselves paleo if they eat pub food/drink alcohol.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

The diet has a few main points: reducing sugar (good!), reducing carbohydrates (good, if you find success with low carb), increasing nutrient dense foods (good!), and finally, to address your concerns: reducing possible sources of digestive issues and inflammation.

Dairy & legumes fall in a category in which you cut them out for some time before trying them again. If you have no ill effects, cool. If you find either one leaves you bloated or with some other digestive upset, then cut them out. The paleo diet seems incredibly strict, and in some ways it is, but it is not completely inflexible.

Another knock on beans is that while they seem healthy, just eating more meat + vegetable is normally a more nutritionally appealing option.

I've done a few days so far of the Engine 2 Diet, a 'plant strong' diet. It's practically vegan with no oil, and I gotta admit, it's tough as heck when you're a huge foodie. I'm already really missing chicken, fish, red meat, and my greek yogurt... grumble If anything, it's been a reset to help me incorporate more fruits and vegetables back into my diet. As silly as it sounds I feel empty, like something is missing physically, if I haven't had any meat or animal protein. I might have a problem. laugh

I wouldn't do Paleo for just a week. Commit to it for a month if you want to really feel a change. Allow yourself a day where you can have non-Paleo foods for a couple meals to keep yourself sane during that first month.

The Paleo lifestyle is NOT a low carb lifestyle................don't confuse the two.

Most people that I know that follow the Paleo lifestyle eat a LOT of carbs.

The Paleo lifestyle is a template for getting the body back to better health through whole foods eating by ditching the processed, packaged crap like food substances.

Someone quoted this on Facebook a while back in a group that I am part of and this sticks with me as we are all individuals. So what I eat for my health and well being may not be what the next person needs to eat or not eat.

Paleo "rules" are written in vegetable juice, not stone. Customize, experiment, discover, be yourself.