Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

lol thought this pic parodied feminism well(Women only pls)

Replies

• maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    This isn't about food or burgers

To be honest, it isn't really about feminism either...

But hasn't the fat acceptance movement primarily focused on a feminist model of patriarchal oppression of fat women? --most clearly represented by the encouragement of women to diet??? I implore you to be reasonable!!

No. I don't think the fat acceptance movement has anything to do with feminism. Feminism combats the oppression of women, fat or skinny. We wish to be treated equally to men, to be valued on our personality, and intelligence, not on our physical beauty, same as men are. (Now this brings up a counter point, are men really valued on personality and intelligence that much more than women? Are they not also judge on physical appearance?)

You image parodies images like this:
    when-did-this-become-hotter-than-this.jpg

This is not something a "feminist" would post. A friend of mine posted such an image on facebook the other day and my reaction (as a "feminist") was to be disgusted by the body shaming, the attempt to make ones sellf feel better by insulting others, etc. A feminist would want all of those women to be judge on their accomplishments, personality, intelligence, kindness, ect. We wouldn't try to make ourselves feel better about our appearance by down grading the appearances of others.

I mean, this one is okay, but again, it's still putting a lot importance on physical beauty.
    when-did-this-become-hotter-than-this-it-didnt.jpg
    *although this brings up a personal issue I have with the feminist movement; can't beauty ever be appreciated?

I love that second pic!!

OP: body shaming =/= feminism.

i'm a feminist, I think that women should get equal pay for equal work. I think that men and women should be held to the same standards in the workplace. and that what a person wears is NOT an invitation to have sex with them.

but more than that, i'm a humanist. I think that if a man wants to stay home with the kids, then he should be free to do so. and I think that if a woman wants to, she shouldn't be made to feel like "less" for wanting that rather than to climb a corporate ladder. neither should I be made to feel like "less" of a woman for not wanting children. these are all personal choices. and I think that we should ALL - male/female/intersexed - be allowed and encouraged to make our own choices in our own lives. so long as those choices do not physically harm those around us.

body shaming, or (as you call it) fat acceptance, isn't the same thing at all. anti-body shaming has more to do with saving the lives of children who are being forced by media and peer pressure into an ideal that is unattainable. and note that I said children, not girls. boys are starting to fall victim to this too. male models and celebrities are just as airbrushed and photoshopped as their female counterparts. and this is starting to show in therapeutic studies of male children as well. children who fall across the gender spectrum (because we are NOT really a binary, no matter how squeamish some ppl are about that) are falling into dangerous patters of eating disorders and suicidal ideation based on that said same societal pressure

so you see, they're not the same thing. even if you sometimes meet up with ppl who believe in both.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Oddly enough the one on the right really does it for me (mouth watering). I don't think my brain even recognizes the one on the left. Like Pavlov's dogs.

Body shaming is rather unfeminist anyways. Burger shaming is downright deplorable!

I'm a feminist, and a doctor, so it must be true.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    How would those of you who are feminist respond to the paradox of this criticism? Just curious. I thought the analogy really fleshed out the parallels between the media and self perception in a well played manner. It was quite the zinger in my opinion haha.

The paradox of the criticism?? What is the paradox? What is the criticism? In marketing, people attempt to make their products look appealing. In advertisements for hamburgers, hamburgers are the product, and they are made to look appealing.

This is not analogous to advertisements which feature women. You've been unsuccessful in lending that misguided image credibility on the basis of your analysis, which further robbed it of the meaning that it might have had if skillfully presented.

With respect to "fleshing out the parallels between the media and self-perception;" what would you say - specifically - are the parallels between "the media" and "self-perception"? Those are perpendicular, not parallel.

My assumption is that you assume intelligent-sounding thing you've read are as meaningless and inscrutable to everyone else as they are to you. If you write some meaningless and inscrutable things, people will believe that you're equally intelligent. It's like an African Grey parrot who repeats words that might sound fantastic individually but are not expressive of any underlying thought or meaning when joined. They are just sounds.

You are the epitome of the Dunning-Kruger Effect.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    here OP, this should make you happy. Bieber likes burgers too.

tumblr_mgag94taqi1rtneqqo1_1280_zps6454ae8d.gif

Jimmy_bieber_wink-thumb-350x197-14879.gif
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    I think you're pointing right at the issue without realizing it.

That hamburger is an object. It is one dimensional.

Women are subjects. When you compare the images in the media with images of real women, you're treating them as objects or one-dimensional things. The thing that makes the "real woman" beautiful isn't that she's more aesthetically pleasing, it's that she's not an object. The "real woman" is a subject with a multi-dimesional personality and life. Her looks reflect the life she's lived and her experiences.

The hamburger exists for your pleasure and enjoyment. The woman belongs to herself and her appearance is not for you.

A hamburger is not one dimensional. it is three dimensional.

i know that has nothing to do with the thread, but after reading through all the pages, i still kept coming back to that sentence.
  • LookMaNoHands
    LookMaNoHands Posts: 174 Member
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    I came across it and I loled hard.

ft5xBrll.jpg

How would those of you who are feminist respond to the paradox of this criticism? Just curious. I thought the analogy really fleshed out the parallels between the media and self perception in a well played manner. It was quite the zinger in my opinion haha.

I'd eat either burger. Both even.

Thing is... as much as the burger on the left gets me craving McDonalds... and wanting a cheeseburger from there. I can taste it now. When I get to unwrapping it, however, I do not expect to see that same burger. I expect the one on the right, because everyone knows that the one on the left is unrealistic. No one would be disappointed to have the burger on the right, if they're craving McDs burgers... because they know what they taste like and that's all that matters.

The pic looks good... but we all know that real burgers don't look like that.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Uhh first problem is that this isn't parodying feminism. Feminism is the strive for gender equality in society today. This seems to be a parody of the body acceptance movement.
    Odd choice of name, then.
    I'd expect it to be 'equalitism' or something, then. (There is a specific word for this I think, I forget what.)

As it is, feminism mostly seems to be push for women to have more rights, regardless of those that men have.

Oh and stop with the objectifying burgers, please. There's more to a burger than how it looks!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    damnit now i wanna burger - gahhhh

Dont trivialize this. And as I stated b4, women only please.

Why " women only " ? Feminism in the 21st Century fortunately is all inclusive as far as gender is concerned. We have fought long enough for that......:o).
  • SamanthaD1218
    SamanthaD1218 Posts: 303 Member
    Uhh first problem is that this isn't parodying feminism. Feminism is the strive for gender equality in society today. This seems to be a parody of the body acceptance movement.

Beyond just the fact those themes are interrelated, there is also more allegory there than you yourself might have initially assessed

Methinks you need a lesson in regards to what feminism actually is.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member

The paradox of the criticism?? What is the paradox? What is the criticism? In marketing, people attempt to make their products look appealing. In advertisements for hamburgers, hamburgers are the product, and they are made to look appealing.

This is not analogous to advertisements which feature women. You've been unsuccessful in lending that misguided image credibility on the basis of your analysis, which further robbed it of the meaning that it might have had if skillfully presented.

With respect to "fleshing out the parallels between the media and self-perception;" what would you say - specifically - are the parallels between "the media" and "self-perception"? Those are perpendicular, not parallel.

My assumption is that you assume intelligent-sounding thing you've read are as meaningless and inscrutable to everyone else as they are to you. If you write some meaningless and inscrutable things, people will believe that you're equally intelligent. It's like an African Grey parrot who repeats words that might sound fantastic individually but are not expressive of any underlying thought or meaning when joined. They are just sounds.

You are the epitome of the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

I heard intelligence and had to bask in the sexiness of it.

In summary: Hey... how you doin'? :wink:
  • LookMaNoHands
    LookMaNoHands Posts: 174 Member
    "Body Acceptance"

27874381_4543.jpg
  • "Body Acceptance"

27874381_4543.jpg

Beer-bellies are for alcoholics
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    "Body Acceptance"

27874381_4543.jpg

I like rolls and six packs. Sometimes at the same time. I call it carb loading...

>___>

Well, I call it that anyway...
  • drangonfly2323
    drangonfly2323 Posts: 197 Member
    This I can agree with. While I don't agree with the OP, I don't ever think its okay to use gay as an insult ever.

However, on a side note, the OP's topics and comments are entertaining.
    I'm no fan of the OP's, but some of comments in this thread are over the line. Being gay is not a insult, and it's a little nauseating that so many people seem to think it's a hilarious way to bash the OP.
  • This thread is a pretty good example of why I don't get involved in the message boards on here.
  • How did this go from feminism to gay bashing? :cry:

Either way...op....Stuff like this doesn't bother me. I could care less what society's standards are when it comes to the "perfect" body. As for feminism, I don't see the connection. Yes, I get the parallel with body image, however I don't think it's anything for women to get their backs up over.

Im glad to finally see some reasonable responses from some of the women.

Beyond what you (and others) just mentioned about the parallel with body image is that the burgers also have a multi layered meaning such as (as opposed to the "when did this become hot" pics) the very notion of the whole concept is you shouldn't be focused on something that destroys you and your family in the first place.

The burger destroys you.

You are fighting for the comfortable indulgence of your self centered pleasure at the expense of destruction, (whether you realize it or not, it is a sociological byproduct of the feminist agenda) and the balance of relationships, tolerance, family, and the well being of society and the family unit.

Furthermore there is more allegory: in that the person is so focused on the self, they are missing the whole point of marketing basics and logistical logic of aesthetics, because they are so sick, and they need to control the whole universe around them to, to break it, at the whim of their 1st world entitlement just to feel comfortable in their addiction. To feed in peace, on their self centered cravings. To feed their insecurities in peace.

The ridiculousness of asking businesses to change effective marketing tactics just so you don't feel bad becomes more comical when you replace people with inconsequential burgers. And the burgers representing a manifestation of the self destruction of insecurity.

Beyond that there is even more allegory...
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member

OHAI!

You know, I'm just hanging out, contemplating the vastness of the periphery. It really makes you reflect on the subtext of the cumquat. Brrzt. Freezeray. Parallel. Applesauce.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    I think you're pointing right at the issue without realizing it.

That hamburger is an object. It is one dimensional.

Women are subjects. When you compare the images in the media with images of real women, you're treating them as objects or one-dimensional things. The thing that makes the "real woman" beautiful isn't that she's more aesthetically pleasing, it's that she's not an object. The "real woman" is a subject with a multi-dimesional personality and life. Her looks reflect the life she's lived and her experiences.

The hamburger exists for your pleasure and enjoyment. The woman belongs to herself and her appearance is not for you.

A hamburger is not one dimensional. it is three dimensional.

i know that has nothing to do with the thread, but after reading through all the pages, i still kept coming back to that sentence.

Not only that...four dimensional...b/c taste.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member

OHAI!

You know, I'm just hanging out, contemplating the vastness of the periphery. It really makes you reflect on the subtext of the cumquat. Brrzt. Freezeray. Parallel. Applesauce.

ALL TEH BIG WERDZ!!!!!!!

The-Beatles-Christmas-con-007.jpg
This discussion has been closed.