Very Unrelated Question

Options

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    :blushing: Thanks guys.

It'll be my "Mysteriously impregnated by an alien" baby like the first episode of TNG Season 2.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I think I know what you are getting at. There are times when I've felt especially anxious or depressed for seemingly no apparent reason and then I'll get a call from my daughter (80 miles away) wanting to talk about something that has her feeling anxious or depressed. I've also experienced pain for no reason and coincidentally my daughter will have hurt herself. It's sort of a running joke with us now. I'm constantly telling her to keep her crazy emotions and ailments to herself. This only happens with my daughter, however. No one else.
    If you possess this type of skill, you can make a million dollars easily:
    http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html

Also, if the mechanism behind it could be understood, it would be a huge advance for humankind. You could have a great positive effect on the lives of billions or even trillions of human beings.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Fascinating how one question turned into this. Then I looked up the ages of some of the "picture" posters, and the number of times they have posted on the forums,.....that explained alot. I hope one day when you all need advice, or are just looking for someone to relate to, that you get treated exactly the same way as you treat others. To those who posted sincere comments, thanks, I appreciate it. I'll be looking at them again later on. Have a good weekend folks :wink:

Firstsips averages seven posts a day.

Is that a lot in your opinion? Enough that you feel it's worthy of scorn? Or are you just bad at math? Curious.

Only seven? Pdfft.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Fascinating how one question turned into this. Then I looked up the ages of some of the "picture" posters, and the number of times they have posted on the forums,.....that explained alot. I hope one day when you all need advice, or are just looking for someone to relate to, that you get treated exactly the same way as you treat others. To those who posted sincere comments, thanks, I appreciate it. I'll be looking at them again later on. Have a good weekend folks :wink:

Is that a lot in your opinion? Enough that you feel it's worthy of scorn? Or are you just bad at math? Curious.

Only seven? Pdfft.

post counts again?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

Only seven? Pdfft.

post counts again?
    Inorite? This thread is about how people with empathy are special. That's all they get out of that gift, is the ability to go on a forum and claim to be special. I mean, it's not like they could use it to go collect a million dollars or change the course of history or anything.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Only seven? Pdfft.

That'd what the math says. Divide days by posts and....bam. 5 or 6k isnt that much when you consider the time frame.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    why does anyone care how many post counts someone has? sometimes I cant sleep and post in groups half the night and those posts count.
    after i had surgery I posted all day every day for 3 months.

hell sometimes i still post a lot

who cares?
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    As a masochistic empath, I'm enjoying this thread.

Edited because spelling
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    As a masochistic emphatic, I'm enjoying this thread.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • hyperbolee
    Options
    As a masochistic emphatic, I'm enjoying this thread.

+1
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Is anyone on hear Empathic?

2md5ilt.png

If you don't understand it you can use Google.

If the argument being made is "We didn't know what she was talking about, so we mocked her.", guess what? You're being a bully.

I did Google it. The definition was "pertaining to or showing empathy".

That doesn't really describe what the OP was referring to.

I don't get what you're talking about 80% of the time. Would you like it if I responded with a series of Adam Sandler gifs?
    It's funny that you act like this and call other people bullies.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    None of this matters. If you are in fact an empathetic person it matters not. What matters is how you cope with it. I find being over emotionally involved in others issues and sometimes personal issues can cause more chaos than serenity. Whilst it makes for a more humane society to be empathetic, I find logic works just as well. Ignorance and empathy do not go hand in hand as you can see throughout this post. However logic and empathy could very well do great things for humanity. We as a society are so lacking in humanity that it makes those who are capable of being empaths shunned as if they are diseased. Like I said...none of this matters. Remove ignorance and leave empathy and logic and then this could very well be a great thread redeemed by the humane people on MFP.....chances are low that will indeed happen because others always feel their 2 cents holds any sort of water.In actuality all it does is tell everyone how ignorant, insecure and among many other things on a long list of what could possibly be wrong with them that they have to comment in a negative way and give no positive advice or information based on the OP. Much respect to OP for not falling to these peoples low levels and only taking what you need from the unnecessary barrage of comments .

All that being said.....I am very empathetic, but I am also very logical. For instance I can feel the pain, misery and struggle of perfect strangers just shopping in the same building as I am. At times it makes me do things I probably shouldn't like pay for their things and so forth. I do not know the logistics of their situation and for all I know that 20 dollars or more I just saved them they could go and buy drugs or booze. They are in their struggle upon their own doing. That is where I have had to become more logical about being an empath. First of all you cannot save the world....second it is not always safe to react on your emotions. Third you could very well be doing more damage than helping someone you are getting those emotions from. Now that I have come to that realization after many years of making many mistakes......I have found that empathy is not time based in almost all situations. You can take a time-out to access each situation and think things through so the end result is positive and productive. I hope my personal insight adds to the info you were seeking and may you have many days of light and love.
    Kadir beneath Mo Moteh.

I'm sorry that you don't understand that some language is composed of metaphors from common experiences or memories shared by participants. Perhaps if you had spent more time watching Star Trek (especially the episode with the Tamarians) you would have understood this form of communication.

Sokath, his eyes opened.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Someone needs to start a "Empathic/Empathetic/Emphatic" thread.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Yes, I am highly empathic. It sucks sometimes.

Do you pick up on other people's emotions, before they even convey what's wrong with them?

Yes. Usually only with people I am comfortable with and know fairly well.

Yea, me too. But now I've noticed that I'm starting to feel their physical ailments as well. The hard part is trying to figure out if they're MY pains, or theirs. It's overwhelming. That's what my intent of this thread was, to find even just ONE person who understands what I'm talking about. Thank you and thank you for being kind. :flowerforyou:
    A carefully designed experiment could isolate those factors and find out the cause. You are interested in determining the cause, right?

Also I find it interesting that "it's psychosomatic" is not one of the possibilities you've considered.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    N:angry:

:heart:
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Empathetic? I am frequently told I am pathetic. Usually by women in bars.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    :noway: :sad::huh: :angry: :explode: :mad: :embarassed: :heart:

I dunno could be a good idea...
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I emphatically agree!
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    This past year I was in a shopping mall right after Christmas. Some of the retailers have ridiculous sales to get revenues as high as possible before the end of the calendar year. Somewhat related to this, I sew, so I was at JoAnn's getting bits and bobs and fabric and things. Their holiday stuff was like 75% off, apropos of nothing; I got some killer deals on ribbon and things.

Anyway I tend to not be oblivious toward people; I tend to look them in the eye and I affirmatively seek contact with what you might call the common human spirit that we all share. Sometimes people are immersed in their own world or look quickly away and that's fine, I'm not about forcing myself on other people, but sometimes you strike up a nice conversation and just connect with someone. It makes you feel good.

Being empathic though I could see a woman who was shopping and just something was wrong. She seemed really distressed and I don't even know what she was doing shopping. My assumption that there was some kind of argument at home or something and she was just trying to shake the emotions off; retail therapy maybe. And so I violated my prime directive and walked up to her and I said, "miss, are you alright? you seem upset" and she shot me an angry look!

I was really surprised but I really had to alleviate her suffering and the fact that she would lash out like that, I assumed it was probably pretty bad. So I asked again like "yikes, if there's anything you want to talk about - I just saw you and you seemed really upset" and it turns out that she was constipated really, really bad and hadn't pooped in quite a few days. So don't eat too much junk at holidays guys because you gotta keep regular. And that's one to grow on.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    This past year I was in a shopping mall right after Christmas. Some of the retailers have ridiculous sales to get revenues as high as possible before the end of the calendar year. Somewhat related to this, I sew, so I was at JoAnn's getting bits and bobs and fabric and things. Their holiday stuff was like 75% off, apropos of nothing; I got some killer deals on ribbon and things.

Anyway I tend to not be oblivious toward people; I tend to look them in the eye and I affirmatively seek contact with what you might call the common human spirit that we all share. Sometimes people are immersed in their own world or look quickly away and that's fine, I'm not about forcing myself on other people, but sometimes you strike up a nice conversation and just connect with someone. It makes you feel good.

Being empathic though I could see a woman who was shopping and just something was wrong. She seemed really distressed and I don't even know what she was doing shopping. My assumption that there was some kind of argument at home or something and she was just trying to shake the emotions off; retail therapy maybe. And so I violated my prime directive and walked up to her and I said, "miss, are you alright? you seem upset" and she shot me an angry look!

I was really surprised but I really had to alleviate her suffering and the fact that she would lash out like that, I assumed it was probably pretty bad. So I asked again like "yikes, if there's anything you want to talk about - I just saw you and you seemed really upset" and it turns out that she was constipated really, really bad and hadn't pooped in quite a few days. So don't eat too much junk at holidays guys because you gotta keep regular. And that's one to grow on.

Wait a sec.

You sew?