• mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    rolled a natural 20 on your CHA check.

GTFO! never before! :laugh:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    FTR: Nothing to do with Star Trek is funny. It's not mockery or insecurity. It is pure awesomesauce.
  • HappyNewTamera2014
    Options
    None of this matters. If you are in fact an empathetic person it matters not. What matters is how you cope with it. I find being over emotionally involved in others issues and sometimes personal issues can cause more chaos than serenity. Whilst it makes for a more humane society to be empathetic, I find logic works just as well. Ignorance and empathy do not go hand in hand as you can see throughout this post. However logic and empathy could very well do great things for humanity. We as a society are so lacking in humanity that it makes those who are capable of being empaths shunned as if they are diseased. Like I said...none of this matters. Remove ignorance and leave empathy and logic and then this could very well be a great thread redeemed by the humane people on MFP.....chances are low that will indeed happen because others always feel their 2 cents holds any sort of water.In actuality all it does is tell everyone how ignorant, insecure and among many other things on a long list of what could possibly be wrong with them that they have to comment in a negative way and give no positive advice or information based on the OP. Much respect to OP for not falling to these peoples low levels and only taking what you need from the unnecessary barrage of comments .

All that being said.....I am very empathetic, but I am also very logical. For instance I can feel the pain, misery and struggle of perfect strangers just shopping in the same building as I am. At times it makes me do things I probably shouldn't like pay for their things and so forth. I do not know the logistics of their situation and for all I know that 20 dollars or more I just saved them they could go and buy drugs or booze. They are in their struggle upon their own doing. That is where I have had to become more logical about being an empath. First of all you cannot save the world....second it is not always safe to react on your emotions. Third you could very well be doing more damage than helping someone you are getting those emotions from. Now that I have come to that realization after many years of making many mistakes......I have found that empathy is not time based in almost all situations. You can take a time-out to access each situation and think things through so the end result is positive and productive. I hope my personal insight adds to the info you were seeking and may you have many days of light and love.
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am highly empathic. It sucks sometimes.

Do you pick up on other people's emotions, before they even convey what's wrong with them?

Yes. Usually only with people I am comfortable with and know fairly well.

Yea, me too. But now I've noticed that I'm starting to feel their physical ailments as well. The hard part is trying to figure out if they're MY pains, or theirs. It's overwhelming. That's what my intent of this thread was, to find even just ONE person who understands what I'm talking about. Thank you and thank you for being kind. :flowerforyou:
  • Maryaly40
    Options
    Well, this thread certainly went into the toilet.

Shouldn't be surprised. And it only took 1 genius with a picture.
  • thesevolatiletimes
    thesevolatiletimes Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Empathic and empathetic are two different things.

The ability to empathize with another person is empathetic. Empathic is a supposed extra-sensory perception, but I'm not entirely certain that it has ever been documented.

I mean, you can pretty much read someone's body language and facial features to make an educated guess about their emotions. How exactly are you going to determine if someone is empathetic or empathic?

THIS. I view empaths the same way that I view those who are incredibly good at body language. I'm rather good at reading others, but that's because I'm incredibly hyper-vigilant, due to traumatic experiences as a child. Being sensitive to body language, I come across to many as intuitive. In fact, a part of the illness I struggle with is being incredibly hyper-senesitive to other people, their body language, emotional reactions, and whatnot.

I know three people who claim to be empaths, and I've realized that they both have a characteristic in common: they're incredibly narcissistic. Now, I'm not saying this is the case with the OP here, but it's merely a realization I've made, with the three I've 'come across'. These three individuals always tell me that they can 'sense things' I'm experiencing, which somebody incredibly intuitive in terms of reading body language could of told me. In fact, I've made the same realizations as these 'empaths' a number of times, merely by being rather hyperaware of one's body language. If you actually go a bit further with the narcissistic traits, you'll find that those who truly have NPD also tend to get delusions of grandeur (such as.....believing one has the ability.....to be in tune with others....on this level), which are delusions in which somebody believes they have powers/abilities/etc. that they in reality really don't have.

Long story short, I know what an empath is, as I'm dating somebody who believes that they are one. I recognize the fact that we are not omniscient beings, and that there are most likely forces out there in the world that we cannot comprehend, using the confines of our little human brains. However, knowing what I do about psychology, science, and the ways in which people work....I can't believe that empaths are anything more than individuals experiencing delusions of grandeur.

Sorry. I'm more inclined to go by what science and my logical mind tells me ....
  • Maryaly40
    Options
    Empathic here. Totally sucks not knowing if the emotions are your own or someone else's nearby.

I've been learning to block out the emotions outside of me, which helps.

It's very hard to distinguish. I believe I'm feeling someone's physical pains too.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am highly empathic. It sucks sometimes.

Do you pick up on other people's emotions, before they even convey what's wrong with them?

Yes. Usually only with people I am comfortable with and know fairly well.

Yea, me too. But now I've noticed that I'm starting to feel their physical ailments as well. The hard part is trying to figure out if they're MY pains, or theirs. It's overwhelming. That's what my intent of this thread was, to find even just ONE person who understands what I'm talking about. Thank you and thank you for being kind. :flowerforyou:

Those are just sympathy pains. :tongue:

But yeah, it's pretty much just having a sort of high perception towards body language and kind of changing your own feelings to "understand" it.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

The ability to empathize with another person is empathetic. Empathic is a supposed extra-sensory perception, but I'm not entirely certain that it has ever been documented.

I mean, you can pretty much read someone's body language and facial features to make an educated guess about their emotions. How exactly are you going to determine if someone is empathetic or empathic?

THIS. I view empaths the same way that I view those who are incredibly good at body language. I'm rather good at reading others, but that's because I'm incredibly hyper-vigilant, due to traumatic experiences as a child. Being sensitive to body language, I come across to many as intuitive. In fact, a part of the illness I struggle with is being incredibly hyper-senesitive to other people, their body language, emotional reactions, and whatnot.

I know three people who claim to be empaths, and I've realized that they both have a characteristic in common: they're incredibly narcissistic. Now, I'm not saying this is the case with the OP here, but it's merely a realization I've made, with the three I've 'come across'. These three individuals always tell me that they can 'sense things' I'm experiencing, which somebody incredibly intuitive in terms of reading body language could of told me. In fact, I've made the same realizations as these 'empaths' a number of times, merely by being rather hyperaware of one's body language. If you actually go a bit further with the narcissistic traits, you'll find that those who truly have NPD also tend to get delusions of grandeur (such as.....believing one has the ability.....to be in tune with others....on this level), which are delusions in which somebody believes they have powers/abilities/etc. that they in reality really don't have.

Long story short, I know what an empath is, as I'm dating somebody who believes that they are one. I recognize the fact that we are not omniscient beings, and that there are most likely forces out there in the world that we cannot comprehend, using the confines of our little human brains. However, knowing what I do about psychology, science, and the ways in which people work....I can't believe that empaths are anything more than individuals experiencing delusions of grandeur.

Sorry. I'm more inclined to go by what science and my logical mind tells me ....

Marry me.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    None of this matters. If you are in fact an empathetic person it matters not. What matters is how you cope with it. I find being over emotionally involved in others issues and sometimes personal issues can cause more chaos than serenity. Whilst it makes for a more humane society to be empathetic, I find logic works just as well. Ignorance and empathy do not go hand in hand as you can see throughout this post. However logic and empathy could very well do great things for humanity. We as a society are so lacking in humanity that it makes those who are capable of being empaths shunned as if they are diseased. Like I said...none of this matters. Remove ignorance and leave empathy and logic and then this could very well be a great thread redeemed by the humane people on MFP.....chances are low that will indeed happen because others always feel their 2 cents holds any sort of water.In actuality all it does is tell everyone how ignorant, insecure and among many other things on a long list of what could possibly be wrong with them that they have to comment in a negative way and give no positive advice or information based on the OP. Much respect to OP for not falling to these peoples low levels and only taking what you need from the unnecessary barrage of comments .

All that being said.....I am very empathetic, but I am also very logical. For instance I can feel the pain, misery and struggle of perfect strangers just shopping in the same building as I am. At times it makes me do things I probably shouldn't like pay for their things and so forth. I do not know the logistics of their situation and for all I know that 20 dollars or more I just saved them they could go and buy drugs or booze. They are in their struggle upon their own doing. That is where I have had to become more logical about being an empath. First of all you cannot save the world....second it is not always safe to react on your emotions. Third you could very well be doing more damage than helping someone you are getting those emotions from. Now that I have come to that realization after many years of making many mistakes......I have found that empathy is not time based in almost all situations. You can take a time-out to access each situation and think things through so the end result is positive and productive. I hope my personal insight adds to the info you were seeking and may you have many days of light and love.

The part in bold was the only part I read but think of the implications if a Betazoid and a Vulcan had a child.

tumblr_mg8pmuNuvY1r9x1oyo1_500.gif
  • thesevolatiletimes
    thesevolatiletimes Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Marry me.

Seeing how we're on a MFP forum, this picture is TOO appropriate! Maybe not for our holy matrimony, but just in general. :3

2ajp9xu.jpg

ITS A MYFITNESSPAL MATCH MADE IN HEAVEN.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    The part in bold was the only part I read but think of the implications if a Betazoid and a Vulcan had a child.

Mind blown.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    "No it's ok that we tease her, she spelled something wrong or said something the wrong way, so we're allowed. Plus at one point she tried to stick up for herself, and we hate that most of all."

Know what's cool about being empathic? You realize that most of the teasing comes from people's deep insecurities. So I hope the OP knows that and isn't quite so bothered by it.

I'm not insecure, I'm an *kitten*. I mock because it amuses me. It doesn't make me feel better about myself (my ego is already fairly large) but it does make me chuckle.

I'll thank you to not pin such mundane motivations as "Insecurity" (a term often used by the weak and angry to try and bring down those they feel are 'mean' to their level) upon me.
  • breakingthecycle722
    Options
    "No it's ok that we tease her, she spelled something wrong or said something the wrong way, so we're allowed. Plus at one point she tried to stick up for herself, and we hate that most of all."

Know what's cool about being empathic? You realize that most of the teasing comes from people's deep insecurities. So I hope the OP knows that and isn't quite so bothered by it.

I'm not insecure, I'm an *kitten*. I mock because it amuses me. It doesn't make me feel better about myself (my ego is already fairly large) but it does make me chuckle.

I'll thank you to not pin such mundane motivations as "Insecurity" (a term often used by the weak and angry to try and bring down those they feel are 'mean' to their level) upon me.
    :embarassed:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I'd read that fanfiction.
  • sjohnny
    Options

Mind blown.

Somehow I sensed that it might be.
  • sjohnny
    Options

I'd read that fanfiction.

That's the only course of action that makes emotionally logical sense.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I'm sensing insecurity.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

I'm sensing insecurity.

Embarrassment

You is a terrible empath.