Very Unrelated Question

Options

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Seriously... everyone here possesses the ability to empathize. Are you asking if we can detect your emotions from across the World Wide Web?

Mostly the answer to that will be based on the tone of your posts. For example, when you called someone a "twit" earlier, you were obviously annoyed. Does that make me empathic?

Not in the sense that you are thinking. It just means that I possess deductive reasoning, and can therefore, empathize with your frustration if I choose to. Many here chose not to because of the perceived absurdity of the question. I do realize that you weren't trying to ask a ridiculous question on the internet, and therefore, empathize at the embarassment you are probably feeling right now (again deductive reasoning).

What I'm getting at is that empathy isn't a super-power like it was made out to be on Star Trek.

That's called cognitive empathy.

There is a gradient between the extremes of sociopath, normal human, and fictional, mind-reading alien.

:heart: :drinker:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Uh, having empathy qualifies a person to be differentiated from the general public as an "Empath"?

LACK of empathy is often a marker for a personality disorder. I really hope we're not getting to a point where people who don't have personality disorders are special.

You mean something like..oh I don't know... seeing someone ask if people have empathy for others and responding with a series of dumb gifs?

Excuse you? Deanna Troi is the premier Empath of the Federation. I'm not sure how much more relevant to the topic she could be.

She's an actress not a real empath!

Deanna Troi is NOT an actress. Marina Sirtis is an actress cast to play her in the biopic about her time assigned to the Enterprise.
    Exactly, she won't be born until March 29, 2336. Sometimes I wonder if some people don't even realize that Star Trek is a historical documentary about future events.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Is anyone on hear Empathic?

Seriously... everyone here possesses the ability to empathize. Are you asking if we can detect your emotions from across the World Wide Web?

Mostly the answer to that will be based on the tone of your posts. For example, when you called someone a "twit" earlier, you were obviously annoyed. Does that make me empathic?

Not in the sense that you are thinking. It just means that I possess deductive reasoning, and can therefore, empathize with your frustration if I choose to. Many here chose not to because of the perceived absurdity of the question. I do realize that you weren't trying to ask a ridiculous question on the internet, and therefore, empathize at the embarassment you are probably feeling right now (again deductive reasoning).

What I'm getting at is that empathy isn't a super-power like it was made out to be on Star Trek.

It wasn't made out to be a super-power. It's part of how that species communicates. Just like sign language isn't a super-power used by those with hearing impairments.

Okay, true. But she was the only person on the ship that possessed this unique ability because she was an alien... therefore, it can be paralleled with Superman, and thus, a super power. :tongue:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I feel like you are irritated, Op.
  • SmexAppeal
    SmexAppeal Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mu4uvuxmyy1si7gnuo1_500.gif
    Stop looking at me, SWAN!
    tumblr_lk2s112f6c1qcasl1o1_500.gif

Best movie ever.

It really truly is!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I feel like you are irritated, Op.

Wow. You must be an empath.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    This thread is causing me

1389696399_1fra75c_ewsx.gif
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

I have absolutely no idea what you are feeling right now.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

It wasn't made out to be a super-power. It's part of how that species communicates. Just like sign language isn't a super-power used by those with hearing impairments.

Okay, true. But she was the only person on the ship that possessed this unique ability because she was an alien... therefore, it can be paralleled with Superman, and thus, a super power. :tongue:
    So greed is a super power because Quark?
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

I have absolutely no idea what you are feeling right now.

Duh. Betazoids have black hair, so any fool could look at you and see that.
  • sjohnny
    Options

Totally different. Where she's from everyone is telepathic/empathic. They are all the same and all there for the same reason. Superman only has his powers when he's away from his home planet he is different and here for different reasons. The whole Star Trek thing is based on differences not making people freakish but just different where super powers are something that sets someone apart and the focus is on the differences.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

Totally different. Where she's from everyone is telepathic/empathic. They are all the same and all there for the same reason. Superman only has his powers when he's away from his home planet he is different and here for different reasons. The whole Star Trek thing is based on differences not making people freakish but just different where super powers are something that sets someone apart and the focus is on the differences.
    That and Superman is fictional. Betazoids are not, we just haven't met them yet.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    That and Superman is fictional. Betazoids are not, we just haven't met them yet.

QFT
  • sjohnny
    Options

I felt that was obvious enough not to need to be mentioned but apparently I was wrong. Good point.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I think I know what you are getting at. There are times when I've felt especially anxious or depressed for seemingly no apparent reason and then I'll get a call from my daughter (80 miles away) wanting to talk about something that has her feeling anxious or depressed. I've also experienced pain for no reason and coincidentally my daughter will have hurt herself. It's sort of a running joke with us now. I'm constantly telling her to keep her crazy emotions and ailments to herself. This only happens with my daughter, however. No one else.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    empath122.jpg

Also, Shelby, FTW
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I think I know what you are getting at. There are times when I've felt especially anxious or depressed for seemingly no apparent reason and then I'll get a call from my daughter (80 miles away) wanting to talk about something that has her feeling anxious or depressed. I've also experienced pain for no reason and coincidentally my daughter will have hurt herself. It's sort of a running joke with us now. I'm constantly telling her to keep her crazy emotions and ailments to herself. This only happens with my daughter, however. No one else.

You're lucky it only happens with your daughter, but yea, you get it.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I like how everyone makes fun and antagonizes OP and when she gets frustrated and upset everyone wants to call her out on it and continue to make fun of her.

I realize that we get bored and hangry and we enjoy taking it out on others in the forumz but still. It's a bit ridiculous sometimes. I know people are going to be mean sometimes, it's the internet. It just disappoints me sometimes. Want to talk about star trek? Then start a star trek thread. I would be all for it.

Want to disagree with OP that's fine too. State opinions and what not.

But making fun of someone for what they believe and antagonizing them for the religous or spiritual beliefs seems a little too much in my opinion. We have enough opportunity to do so with all the Dr. Oz threads (Not that I condone maliciously attacking people for what they don't know, just sometimes intervention is neccessary)

OP: I wouldn't say I am empathic but I do find that many people feel comfortable talking to me for one reason or another and I can often empathize for them. I can even tell moods from people really well but I wouldn't say I'm an empath though. Just deepy empathetic.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I think I am as well, but not as far as some have described (completely tuned in) \m/
  • sjohnny
    Options
    I like how everyone makes fun and antagonizes OP and when she gets frustrated and upset everyone wants to call her out on it and continue to make fun of her.

I realize that we get bored and hangry and we enjoy taking it out on others in the forumz but still. It's a bit ridiculous sometimes. I know people are going to be mean sometimes, it's the internet. It just disappoints me sometimes. Want to talk about star trek? Then start a star trek thread. I would be all for it.

Want to disagree with OP that's fine too. State opinions and what not.

But making fun of someone for what they believe and antagonizing them for the religous or spiritual beliefs seems a little too much in my opinion. We have enough opportunity to do so with all the Dr. Oz threads (Not that I condone maliciously attacking people for what they don't know, just sometimes intervention is neccessary)

OP: I wouldn't say I am empathic but I do find that many people feel comfortable talking to me for one reason or another and I can often empathize for them. I can even tell moods from people really well but I wouldn't say I'm an empath though. Just deepy empathetic.

Um.

She came in asking if people could hear empaths and never gave any reason for her question. As she was not forthcoming with her reasons for wanting to know the other users of this forum decided to take the thread in a different direction.

I'm sure you can empathize.