LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mu4uvuxmyy1si7gnuo1_500.gif
    Stop looking at me, SWAN!
    tumblr_lk2s112f6c1qcasl1o1_500.gif
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Empathic and empathetic are two different things.

The ability to empathize with another person is empathetic. Empathic is a supposed extra-sensory perception, but I'm not entirely certain that it has ever been documented.

I mean, you can pretty much read someone's body language and facial features to make an educated guess about their emotions. How exactly are you going to determine if someone is empathetic or empathic?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mu4uvuxmyy1si7gnuo1_500.gif
    Stop looking at me, SWAN!
    tumblr_lk2s112f6c1qcasl1o1_500.gif

Best movie ever.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Uh, having empathy qualifies a person to be differentiated from the general public as an "Empath"?

LACK of empathy is often a marker for a personality disorder. I really hope we're not getting to a point where people who don't have personality disorders are special.

You mean something like..oh I don't know... seeing someone ask if people have empathy for others and responding with a series of dumb gifs?
    Please tell us more about how having a sense of humor is a personality disorder.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Uh, having empathy qualifies a person to be differentiated from the general public as an "Empath"?

LACK of empathy is often a marker for a personality disorder. I really hope we're not getting to a point where people who don't have personality disorders are special.

This.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

You mean something like..oh I don't know... seeing someone ask if people have empathy for others and responding with a series of dumb gifs?

LOL the irony...
  • GermanicKnight
    Options
    I have been told I am Empathetic.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Excuse you? Deanna Troi is the premier Empath of the Federation. I'm not sure how much more relevant to the topic she could be.

She's an actress not a real empath!

Deanna Troi is not an actress.

The woman who played her in that series however...anyway. The word you're searching for is 'character' but even so she's an example of an empath and might help people hone in on what exactly you're asking (or seemed to be asking) because she's an easily identified character with empathic abilities. You know, beyond the general trait most humans have to empathize. Because humans.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    In. So, so in.

tumblr_lfrt7vBDcD1qdg1x6o1_500.gif
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I'm a highly empathic person who is susceptible to emotional contagion.
    On the down-side, it means that I'm a little more emotionally malleable than I would prefer to be. It drives me toward social isolation and creates feelings of anxiety in large crowds.
    On the up-side, I am more perceptive than average when relating to people and can from time to time discern their motives or desires because of their unexpressed but nonetheless existent feelings.
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Yes, and it makes it a bit difficult when practicing Reiki.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    The ability to tell someone's emotional state based on their voice, body language, facial expression, etc is built into all normal humans. Even domesticated dogs are able to read human expression/voice. That's why I can say in a happy playful tone to my dog that I'm going to cut off her legs and frow 'em in the garbage, and she gets super excited and joyful.

If someone were a real empath they would be able to read someone's emotions without actually being able to see/hear/smell them.
  • SexKittenlovesitrough
    Options
    I must be an Empath.

Ad I was reading this thread I was awash with giggles, lulz, frustration and arousal.....especially while reading your posts Beta Ray Bill......

So much arousal there.....

How do you keep that locked up

You gonna esplode
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Is anyone on hear Empathic?

Seriously... everyone here possesses the ability to empathize. Are you asking if we can detect your emotions from across the World Wide Web?

Mostly the answer to that will be based on the tone of your posts. For example, when you called someone a "twit" earlier, you were obviously annoyed. Does that make me empathic?

Not in the sense that you are thinking. It just means that I possess deductive reasoning, and can therefore, empathize with your frustration if I choose to. Many here chose not to because of the perceived absurdity of the question. I do realize that you weren't trying to ask a ridiculous question on the internet, and therefore, empathize at the embarassment you are probably feeling right now (again deductive reasoning).

What I'm getting at is that empathy isn't a super-power like it was made out to be on Star Trek.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options

Seriously... everyone here possesses the ability to empathize. Are you asking if we can detect your emotions from across the World Wide Web?

Mostly the answer to that will be based on the tone of your posts. For example, when you called someone a "twit" earlier, you were obviously annoyed. Does that make me empathic?

Not in the sense that you are thinking. It just means that I possess deductive reasoning, and can therefore, empathize with your frustration if I choose to. Many here chose not to because of the perceived absurdity of the question. I do realize that you weren't trying to ask a ridiculous question on the internet, and therefore, empathize at the embarassment you are probably feeling right now (again deductive reasoning).

What I'm getting at is that empathy isn't a super-power like it was made out to be on Star Trek.

Oh you...:heart::love: :heart:
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Empathetic?

Often. But then I realize I don't really like the person and the feeling goes away.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Excuse you? Deanna Troi is the premier Empath of the Federation. I'm not sure how much more relevant to the topic she could be.

She's an actress not a real empath!

Deanna Troi is NOT an actress. Marina Sirtis is an actress cast to play her in the biopic about her time assigned to the Enterprise.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Yeah I thought lack of empathy was the main indicator that someone is a psychopath. So that makes me assume that the vast majority of people have empathy. Soooo....
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

That's called cognitive empathy.

There is a gradient between the extremes of sociopath, normal human, and fictional, mind-reading alien.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

It wasn't made out to be a super-power. It's part of how that species communicates. Just like sign language isn't a super-power used by those with hearing impairments.