Very Unrelated Question

Options

Replies

• hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I like how everyone makes fun and antagonizes OP and when she gets frustrated and upset everyone wants to call her out on it and continue to make fun of her.

I realize that we get bored and hangry and we enjoy taking it out on others in the forumz but still. It's a bit ridiculous sometimes. I know people are going to be mean sometimes, it's the internet. It just disappoints me sometimes. Want to talk about star trek? Then start a star trek thread. I would be all for it.

Want to disagree with OP that's fine too. State opinions and what not.

But making fun of someone for what they believe and antagonizing them for the religous or spiritual beliefs seems a little too much in my opinion. We have enough opportunity to do so with all the Dr. Oz threads (Not that I condone maliciously attacking people for what they don't know, just sometimes intervention is neccessary)

OP: I wouldn't say I am empathic but I do find that many people feel comfortable talking to me for one reason or another and I can often empathize for them. I can even tell moods from people really well but I wouldn't say I'm an empath though. Just deepy empathetic.

If this is a religious or spiritual discussion, isn't it against the rules?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I like how everyone makes fun and antagonizes OP and when she gets frustrated and upset everyone wants to call her out on it and continue to make fun of her.

I realize that we get bored and hangry and we enjoy taking it out on others in the forumz but still. It's a bit ridiculous sometimes. I know people are going to be mean sometimes, it's the internet. It just disappoints me sometimes. Want to talk about star trek? Then start a star trek thread. I would be all for it.

But making fun of someone for what they believe and antagonizing them for the religous or spiritual beliefs seems a little too much in my opinion. We have enough opportunity to do so with all the Dr. Oz threads (Not that I condone maliciously attacking people for what they don't know, just sometimes intervention is neccessary)

OP: I wouldn't say I am empathic but I do find that many people feel comfortable talking to me for one reason or another and I can often empathize for them. I can even tell moods from people really well but I wouldn't say I'm an empath though. Just deepy empathetic.

Um.

She came in asking if people could hear empaths and never gave any reason for her question. As she was not forthcoming with her reasons for wanting to know the other users of this forum decided to take the thread in a different direction.

I'm sure you can empathize.

You forgot the part where she called someone a twit. After that I lost all empathy for her. Or would that be sympathy?

it is in the chit chat, fun and games section.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options

So is derailing a thread.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    i spent the first, oh, 25 or so ys of my life a socially anxious, introverted loner/wallflower. so basically i did nothing in social situations but listen to other ppl. i was aware of my situation and smart enough to use it for its advantages: thus i developed quite naturally into an extraordinary listener. i learned a lot about ppl that way. mostly i learned that the world is full of ppl who suck at listening, and everyone likes to be listened to. ppl would (and still do) gravitate toward me because i shut my mouth, look them in the eye, and pay attention when they speak. it's not rocket science. on the one hand, this has served to develop my innate empathetic bent; on the other it has served to warp me into a bit of sociopath because i've learned how easy it is to passively manipulate ppl with very little effort. (it's really fuqin easy) :indifferent:
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

So is derailing a thread.

There were no rails.
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options

^^^^this.....ty

Um.

She came in asking if people could hear empaths and never gave any reason for her question. As she was not forthcoming with her reasons for wanting to know the other users of this forum decided to take the thread in a different direction.

And surely you are twisting OP's words. She misspelled "here".

OP, I am not an empath.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Is anyone on hear Empathic?

Seriously... everyone here possesses the ability to empathize. Are you asking if we can detect your emotions from across the World Wide Web?

Mostly the answer to that will be based on the tone of your posts. For example, when you called someone a "twit" earlier, you were obviously annoyed. Does that make me empathic?

Not in the sense that you are thinking. It just means that I possess deductive reasoning, and can therefore, empathize with your frustration if I choose to. Many here chose not to because of the perceived absurdity of the question. I do realize that you weren't trying to ask a ridiculous question on the internet, and therefore, empathize at the embarassment you are probably feeling right now (again deductive reasoning).

What I'm getting at is that empathy isn't a super-power like it was made out to be on Star Trek.

It wasn't made out to be a super-power. It's part of how that species communicates. Just like sign language isn't a super-power used by those with hearing impairments.

Okay, true. But she was the only person on the ship that possessed this unique ability because she was an alien... therefore, it can be paralleled with Superman, and thus, a super power. :tongue:

Totally different. Where she's from everyone is telepathic/empathic. They are all the same and all there for the same reason. Superman only has his powers when he's away from his home planet he is different and here for different reasons. The whole Star Trek thing is based on differences not making people freakish but just different where super powers are something that sets someone apart and the focus is on the differences.

Wait... so are you saying that Deanna Troi doesn't have a unique set of talents that can not be attributed to other humanoids?
  • _Pseudonymous_
    Options

Um.

You forgot the part where she called someone a twit. After that I lost all empathy for her. Or would that be sympathy?

it is in the chit chat, fun and games section.

It is in chit-chat fun and games. That's why I see nothing wrong with a star trek thread.

And I didn't forget when she called someone a twit. I mentioned the fact that she got frustrated when everyone made fun of her. That was in reference to that. You've never gotten frustrated by everyone mocking you before? I'm not saying it was the right move to start name calling, I'm just saying that I think it's wrong to antagonize and then continue to antagonize after they have aroused the expected response.

I'm not saying anyone has to like my opinion here. Just thought I would put my 2 cents in.
  • sjohnny
    Options

Seriously... everyone here possesses the ability to empathize. Are you asking if we can detect your emotions from across the World Wide Web?

Mostly the answer to that will be based on the tone of your posts. For example, when you called someone a "twit" earlier, you were obviously annoyed. Does that make me empathic?

Not in the sense that you are thinking. It just means that I possess deductive reasoning, and can therefore, empathize with your frustration if I choose to. Many here chose not to because of the perceived absurdity of the question. I do realize that you weren't trying to ask a ridiculous question on the internet, and therefore, empathize at the embarassment you are probably feeling right now (again deductive reasoning).

What I'm getting at is that empathy isn't a super-power like it was made out to be on Star Trek.

It wasn't made out to be a super-power. It's part of how that species communicates. Just like sign language isn't a super-power used by those with hearing impairments.

Okay, true. But she was the only person on the ship that possessed this unique ability because she was an alien... therefore, it can be paralleled with Superman, and thus, a super power. :tongue:

Totally different. Where she's from everyone is telepathic/empathic. They are all the same and all there for the same reason. Superman only has his powers when he's away from his home planet he is different and here for different reasons. The whole Star Trek thing is based on differences not making people freakish but just different where super powers are something that sets someone apart and the focus is on the differences.

Wait... so are you saying that Deanna Troi doesn't have a unique set of talents that can not be attributed to other humanoids?

So are you saying that the method by which someone communicates when it is different from the way you communicate is a super-power? Speaking Czech is a super-power then? Communicating with ASL is a super-power?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

In lieu of lack of context, people associated the subject with the context of which they are most familiar with. Had OP been a little more clear about what she was asking, then people would not have to draw from their own experiences to provide her with an answer, and her thread would not have gotten derailed.

It wasn't until page 3 that I even had a clue of what she was referring.

OP, I have had experiences where I "feel" as if I know when someone is thinking about me. I'm not sure if that is the same thing that you are discussing here though.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

So are you saying that the method by which someone communicates when it is different from the way you communicate is a super-power? Speaking Czech is a super-power then? Communicating with ASL is a super-power?

You missed the sarcasm...

Anyway, I am suggesting that the way she "communicated" which wasn't really the case because she had telepathy with her mother and other Betazeds (that is communication) made her unique to her crew members, and therefore, possessed a power that others did not. Maybe, my definition of "super power" is a little looser than yours.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    "No it's ok that we tease her, she spelled something wrong or said something the wrong way, so we're allowed. Plus at one point she tried to stick up for herself, and we hate that most of all."

Know what's cool about being empathic? You realize that most of the teasing comes from people's deep insecurities. So I hope the OP knows that and isn't quite so bothered by it.

It's also the default defense mechanism for HSPs.
  • sjohnny
    Options

You missed the sarcasm...

Anyway, I am suggesting that the way she "communicated" which wasn't really the case because she had telepathy with her mother and other Betazeds (that is communication) made her unique to her crew members, and therefore, possessed a power that others did not. Maybe, my definition of "super power" is a little looser than yours.

Obviously.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You know all those times when you think/feel something and then later learn that something happened to someone somewhere? You remember those times.

What you don't remember are the other 99% of the times when you thought/felt something and never gave it a second thought/feel.

It's like when people say the phone always rings when they're in the shower. Statistically, it doesn't...but when it does, you note it.

Human beings are remarkably adept at finding causation and pattern where none exists.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    i spent the first, oh, 25 or so ys of my life a socially anxious, introverted loner/wallflower. so basically i did nothing in social situations but listen to other ppl. i was aware of my situation and smart enough to use it for its advantages: thus i developed quite naturally into an extraordinary listener. i learned a lot about ppl that way. mostly i learned that the world is full of ppl who suck at listening, and everyone likes to be listened to. ppl would (and still do) gravitate toward me because i shut my mouth, look them in the eye, and pay attention when they speak. it's not rocket science. on the one hand, this has served to develop my innate empathetic bent; on the other it has served to warp me into a bit of sociopath because i've learned how easy it is to passively manipulate ppl with very little effort. (it's really fuqin easy) :indifferent:

IN for manipulation!
  • _Pseudonymous_
    Options

In lieu of lack of context, people associated the subject with the context of which they are most familiar with. Had OP been a little more clear about what she was asking, then people would not have to draw from their own experiences to provide her with an answer, and her thread would not have gotten derailed.

It wasn't until page 3 that I even had a clue of what she was referring.

OP, I have had experiences where I "feel" as if I know when someone is thinking about me. I'm not sure if that is the same thing that you are discussing here though.

I can admit that it could have used clarification, which OP later provided in the thread. I can understand confusion. That's acceptable. What I am calling out are the ones who knew and then continued making fun of. I'm pretty sure most people could have figured it out by reading or deductive reasoning. If you are not one of those people then it was not directed towards you. If you are then it is. I'm sure you can deduce which section you fall under and either apply my comment towards you or not.

I am not intending to be offensive. Just calling out what I see.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    "No it's ok that we tease her, she spelled something wrong or said something the wrong way, so we're allowed. Plus at one point she tried to stick up for herself, and we hate that most of all."

Know what's cool about being empathic? You realize that most of the teasing comes from people's deep insecurities. So I hope the OP knows that and isn't quite so bothered by it.

You know, it's a catch-22. With such a vague OP, and sometimes even with a detailed OP, people become suspicious of trolling. They have two options. Take the OP seriously and be made to look like a fool. Or make a joke and hope the OP finds it funny.

Either way, this is some pretty light-hearted stuff to be taking it so seriously. And over-reaction could bring a tragic and unneccessary end to a thread I found fun and interesting, which I think was what the OP was hoping for in the first place, being that it's in Chit-Chat, Fun, & Games.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

2md5ilt.png
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I can admit that it could have used clarification, which OP later provided in the thread. I can understand confusion. That's acceptable. What I am calling out are the ones who knew and then continued making fun of. I'm pretty sure most people could have figured it out by reading or deductive reasoning. If you are not one of those people then it was not directed towards you. If you are then it is. I'm sure you can deduce which section you fall under and either apply my comment towards you or not.

I am not intending to be offensive. Just calling out what I see.

^^^^ empathizing with OP's frustration.