Valentine's day coming...

Options

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I think we may go to a class and learn something new together. I'd rather have an experience than gifts. :smile:

I like that idea. Last year we went on a Manatee dive. It was awesome. But cold. Very very cold.

Omg, did you pet the manatees?! I am unable to contain my thrills at the possibility of riding a manatee.

You can't ride the manatees. That's legit one of the rules :laugh:

But I did get to pet some. Two of them were babies. :love:
    Going to be a techincal dweeb here and def not coming down on you but I think the Marine Mammal Protection Act says you can't even touch them. I did the Manatee swim in Crystal River ages ago and saw heaps. But you're not supposed to interfere with them in any way.

WHAT?! But, but... they're not like butterflies! THEY DON'T LOSE SCALES OR WHATEVER.

They're a protected species and that's part of the gig when they're listed as such. I know they look huge but they have a limited range and since they are slow moving are often killed or injured by larger sea craft.

http://www.plantationoncrystalriver.com/manatee-tours.htm

Here's where we went. They say they have permission from the federal government for the interaction.

OMG, I must do this! Thank you for the info!
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options

Here's where we went. They say they have permission from the federal government for the interaction.

I looked up their site and I couldn't find where they stated they had permission. I'm not say they don't, but given this animals protection status I'd be sure to cover my bases if I were them. I also looked up the marine mammal protection acts and it does state that special permission is given but I got the impression it was more for marine parks and scientific study. Not an open environment where people are boated in to look at them in the wild. I'm sure I'm getting too caught up in the technicality of all this. Sorry OP.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

I actually know all of this about manatees, since I grew up in the panhandle... I'm just fangirling over manatees.

:smile:

am I the only one who has the veggietales "barbara manatee" song stuck in her head?

yeah, thought so

No, I did too. Every single time someone mentions a manatee, my brain goes there.

I need to find that top 10 silly songs dvd again...
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    No pressures for me (again) this V-Day. I lost count on how many years in a row it is now. I'm just looking forward to 2/15 when all the candy is 50% off
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    going to Caribbean
  • frodopuppy
    Options
    HaHaHa
  • ElizaB84
    ElizaB84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    No pressures for me (again) this V-Day. I lost count on how many years in a row it is now. I'm just looking forward to 2/15 when all the candy is 50% off

Yes! 50% off candy is the whole point of Vday for me lol
  • bergsangel
    Options
    I have that week off and we've spent it in Disneyland with the kids every year for many years :)
  • Lissa_M
    Lissa_M Posts: 131
    Options
    I'm expecting my husband to be totally shocked that I am surprising him with tickets to see Eddie Izzard Memorial Day weekend :)
  • bambishealth
    bambishealth Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Amen to that! Don't tell someone you love them, and then expect them to change. It's not going to happen. 1 divorce later and new marriage later, I know this for sure.
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Hello Dear All, for some people, valentine day is important but others it is not. I will just want from my boyfriend to do the list I will give him on Feb 14th. In this list, just there are some behaviors of him to change. what are your expectations from that day?

On Valentines Day? That is just tacky!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I looked up their site and I couldn't find where they stated they had permission. I'm not say they don't, but given this animals protection status I'd be sure to cover my bases if I were them. I also looked up the marine mammal protection acts and it does state that special permission is given but I got the impression it was more for marine parks and scientific study. Not an open environment where people are boated in to look at them in the wild. I'm sure I'm getting too caught up in the technicality of all this. Sorry OP.

It's on the page I linked. Second paragraph. Right under where it says "Swim with the Manatees of Crystal River." Also the wildlife rangers were there in boats to monitor the guests.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    ......just another example of how the beautiful and loving actions of a real historical figure are corrupted by capitalism and consumerism so not even the remotest resemblance of the real meaning remains.....

There, there. :flowerforyou:
  • Andy_83
    Andy_83 Posts: 270
    Options
    Am at a mate's wedding. 1st Valentines Day I think I've ever looked forward to. Bring on the nice atmosphere, chance to meet new folk and breaking some atrocious shapes on the dance floor.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Hello Dear All, for some people, valentine day is important but others it is not. I will just want from my boyfriend to do the list I will give him on Feb 14th. In this list, just there are some behaviors of him to change. what are your expectations from that day?

Oh.

Meanwhile I'll be alone because military says screw your Valentine's day for the third year in a row. Life is clearly fair.

MMM yes. Since my husband joined I've yet to see him on our anniversary - which happens to fall during the time of year they all get sent away on exercises.

We have two anniversaries and he'll be out for both of them this year.

Thank you to both of you and your husbands for their service and your supporting them :heart: It's not easy to be a military wife. (And to anyone else I missed who is in the same situation!!)
  • nicolared1
    Options
    My fiance and I will exchange cards and have a nice dinner at home, that's all. We don't do anything extravagant, I'd rather save that for our anniversary!
  • strongestgirl10
    strongestgirl10 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Face in lady garden

/Thread
    Best reply ever!
  • bperkins88
    bperkins88 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    im going to drink a 5th of Jack daniels, take a couple sleeping pills and see if I can finish before I fall asleep. Happy Valentines Day to Me!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    im going to drink a 5th of Jack daniels, take a couple sleeping pills and see if I can finish before I fall asleep. Happy Valentines Day to Me!

Oh honey, it's not that serious!
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options

Can't change anyone!!! After 15 yrs of marriage just a bit of advice for you!

But you can ask them to change their behaviors...and if they truly love you, they will try. No guarantees though. (After 15 years together) My guy has made some huge strides over the years...it takes patience but a good significant other will keep trying.

And I don't think that is a horrible thing to ask for Valentine's Day. It shows how important it is to you. I just hope you aren't asking for something like "Put your clothes in the hamper". If its some serious behaviors you would like him to change and you are forgoing traditional gifts in exchange for some effort put forth, it shows it means something to you. Also hoping these are things you have previously discussed with him...Valentine's Day would not be the day to spring it on him for the first time.

What am I expecting? Chocolate, that is all I ever expect. I get flowers randomly throughout the year but for this holiday all I want is a chocolate box the size of a dinner plate....with two tiers. And a card....maybe dirty, maybe sappy...he suprises me year to year.