WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2014

Options

Replies

• Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Good morning. I started the 100 workout yesterday. 100 jumping jacks, 90 crunches, 80 squats, 70 leg lifts, 60 jacks, 50 crunches, 40 squats, 30 leg lifts, 20 jacks and 10 minutes running. Knee problems so I modified the jacks and did marching for the running.

Can I just say Owwww. I ache pretty much everywhere (ache ok, pain no no) and my inner thighs are screaming at me nonstop. But, after a couple stop and remotivate myself talks, I got through it. That will be a 2 days a week workout.

I'm also starting the New Rules of Lifting for Women program. Bought the book about 2 months ago and read through it but didn't start. Sat back down and reread it last week and I start 3 days a week for that program today. It's a 6 month program.

Yes, I believe aches and pains will be a part of my life for the next 6 months, Trying to find ways to exercise that doesn't hurt my knee is troublesome, but hopefully doable.

I'm also doing the plank challenge in March. Daily goal: 30 seconds, 35 seconds, 30 seconds, 40 seconds, 30 seconds, 45 seconds, etc. The days I do planks for New Rules program also counts toward the plank challenge.

I'm going to Cancun in June and really want to feel better about how I look. After 3 weeks concentrating on my eating and losing 8 pounds, I'm now ready to add exercise into the mix. Eat right and move.

Hope you all have a wonderful Monday.
  • fitprincess4333
    Options
    Good morning! Just rejoined MFP - been a looooong winter. But at least I have maintained, not gained. Now to get back in the game and tracking and losing. Hope everyone has a great week. I am going to read through these posts when I get off work!
  • Kayzoola
    Options
    Back to the gym today for Bodypump. I had yesterday off. It was nice!

Katia, I remember a lot of talk about "bippys" in the old tv show "Laugh In." I guess that proves I belong in this discussion of over 50 ladies. They never did say what it was, though.

Chickee, I had knee problems when I started exercising, too. I only realized recently that I was doing the jumping jacks in class without really thinking about it, and my knee is ok. I still have to watch putting lateral pressure on it, but I can do squats and lunges. In fact, I am fairly sure it was the squats and lunges that have provided the muscular support that allow me to do those jumping jacks I was unable to do before.

Kayzoola (PNW USA)
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good morning, thanks for your congrats and comments. Renny, good problem solving points! ..

Identifying the problem: I had been eating too much.
    Deciding what to do about it: Eat less.
    Do I have control over the problem? YES.
    Assume nothing: Correct. I assumed I'd maintain or even lose by eating back exercise calories regularly. Nope. Gained.
    Question everything: Yep, dig in and research. Don't believe everything you hear. And why are my jeans still tight? :laugh:
    Use logic and reasoning: Thin people don't eat much. That's why they're not fat.

Of course it's not just about being thin, it's about getting proper nutrition. What a lot we have to learn. :bigsmile:

Have a great Monday :flowerforyou:

:smile: jb in rainy Portland
  • BootCamper10
    BootCamper10 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi there ladies. I'm new here. :flowerforyou:
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,

My elbow looks much worse today and it still hurts a lot. The entire thing is bruised, but the part that hurts is a small red bump in the middle. I’m wondering if maybe I have a bone chip. I’m not sure whether to see a doctor or not. What do they do for that anyway? For some reason, I keep bumping it. I wonder if I always bump it this much and never noticed it before, but I see stars every time now! There’s a walk-in Medical Center on the way home from work, and I might just go to find out if there’s something I should be doing to help it heal faster.

I do know that losing weight is mostly a matter of mind over matter. I made a conscious effort to change my attitude, and voila! The exercise seems a little easier, and I’m not so stinking hungry (at least for now). I’m hoping to keep this up one day at a time. My energy level is better too. Things are looking up! That Vitamin F sure goes a long way!:wink:

NC Carol – Hold your head high and stay away from those who gossip.:devil:

Renny – Thanks so much for the Vitamin F. Seems I needed an extra dose of it and it really helped!:happy:

Cynthia – How about that auto-correct? Who knew ****ens was a bad word? (There it is again!):huh:

Joyce – Thanks for the support regarding my daughter. She is so sensitive lately that the most benign things set her off. I feel like I’ve earned the right to express my opinion, but she looks at it as a lecture and doesn’t want to hear it. Believe me, I am not telling her what to do. I know enough to know that you can’t change another person. She’s an adult and can make her own choices. Her boyfriend is very insecure and VERY controlling. I feel like he doesn’t want us to have a relationship, and this hurts me deeply. I’m going to give it some time to allow her to make the decision when she’s ready to talk to me. I think that’s the best way to handle it.:ohwell:

Sandy – Congrats on your amazing progress!:flowerforyou:

Meg – So sorry you are stressed out right now. Take some deep breaths and try to relax. I know from personal experience that the best choices are not made under stress.:smile:

A heartfelt thanks to all who responded and offered support and encouragement. It really helps to know I’m not alone in this process.:heart:

This past weekend was just beautiful weather-wise. It lifted my spirits for sure to know that spring IS coming! Of course, they are predicting more snow this week, but the reprieve was wonderful and much appreciated.:glasses:

Previous and Current Goals:

Consistent logging (Could be better)
    Drink at least 9 glasses of water a day (40%)
    Find an exercise class I enjoy (NOT YET-STILL LOOKING!!!)
    RUNNING OUTDOORS (Not in THIS weather!)
    LOWER SODIUM FOODS (Not lately!)
    STOP OBSESSING ABOUT FOOD (Hmmmmm…..)

Congrats to all on their success, and (((hugs))) to all who are struggling.

Hugs,
    Lucy in DE. :bigsmile:
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Sandy - I work 10 hour days Monday-Thursday with a 5 hour day on Fridays, so I feel your daughter's pain! Sometimes I feel that all I do is work, plan meals, exercise, and try to sleep. I have no life!

Beth - If you figure out how to change that ticker, let me know. I lost over 50 pounds before I started MFP but couldn't figure out how to make that show. Hence, it shows my current goal.

Do those of you still working a full-time job absolutely hate Sunday evenings? It has gotten to the point that I'm getting down earlier and earlier in the day because I dread the fatigue and no time for anything that begins on Mondays. Most weekends seem to be nothing but working to get ready for the next week with no time to relax and enjoy some time off. Although, I do admit, it is worse with my daughter in the house because I haven't been able to have my Friday afternoons to myself like I normally do. Oh, well, no one needs my whine with their lunch!

I called my son's gastro last night and she called me back today with an appointment for an endoscopy for Wednesday morning. The boy child told me last night that his food is getting stuck in his chest and never making it to his stomach. He's also as pale as can be and obviously feels terrible. I hope they find something that can be easily corrected.

I forgot the main part of my lunch today :sad: I can't decide if I want to deal with going to Subway and picking up a salad or just eat a protein bar and some almonds to get me through. I really enjoy the roasted chicken salad, but hate having to stand in line waiting for it since I don't actually get a lunch break. I need to make up my mind, though, because I am hungry now! :tongue:

Hugs and high fives - take whichever you need!

Carol in sunny NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Momsamodel: DH noticed my pants were getting looser after about a month. Nobody else commented on my weight loss for at least four months. I could tell that things were going the right way, though. I was losing an average of 1.5 lbs a week, just as my goals stated, but there were many plateaus.:flowerforyou:

Joyce: I only watched a few Olympic events. We used to be glued to the TV during the Olympics but our interests have changed over the years.:ohwell: :flowerforyou:

Renny: I love what you have to say about problem solving. Today my problem is DH. He keeps interrupting me so I can’t read these posts and reply. Now the groomer has called and I need to go get the dog. I can’t win! AARRGGHH!:flowerforyou:

Kayzoola: I always thought that “bippy” was a euphemism for certain private body parts. You’re right, they never did say, and I don’t think those words were allowed on TV.:noway: MyFitnessPal is also very particular about word use. It won’t let me write C*ck-a-Leekie Soup without leaving out a certain “O.”:laugh:

JB: I love your analysis of the situation. When I moved to maintenance, MFP gave me a LOT more calories, about 300. Barbie suggested increasing by 50 calories. I knew the MFP goal was wrong and, based on advice here from Barbie and others, switched some settings. It now allows 80 more calories than my weight loss target of 1200. It seems to be working. As always, I use cardio exercise to compensate for overeating. I love the feeling of control that gives me. My weight has been quite stable. I still log everything.:flowerforyou:

BootCamper and other newbies: Welcome. Tell us where you’re from.:flowerforyou:

LucyT: Vitamin F is the best! I’m sorry about your elbow. Based on two spectacular falls in 2013, I’ll tell you that my injuries are taking a long time to heal. Both are still affecting me but they are getting better.:grumble: :flowerforyou:

I need to go get the dog from the groomer and after that the day is free. DH and I used to go to Longview to shop at Bob’s on Mondays, but we don’t need anything from there. Rainy Day suggestions are welcome.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Move more: cardio at least 3 days a week and strength training as soon as I am able.
    3. Water: According to an article I saw on facebook, drinking water at certain times maximizes its effectiveness for the body. I’ll work toward following these guidelines:
    * 2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    * 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    * 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    * 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

Deedee:drinker:

Welcome newcomers.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Jb love your dog photos. Great job with planning. You prove how well it works.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beth hope cold is better. Know how hard it is to concentrate with one of those.

Jill sounds like a plateau. Hang in there.

Kathy T. sounds like a great time with friends and way to plan a delicious meal with keeping the calories down.

Jane feel better soon.:flowerforyou:

Joyce sounds like hubby had a low sugar moment. Size 12!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Love a good sale too!

Michelle saw the down pour on TV.:grumble:

Renny like your three points: assume nothing, question everything, use critical thinking to plan.:smile:

Alison gym. Way to go!

Chickee way to exercise. Inspiring!

Katla bibby..:laugh: I will keep trying one more time.

Kayzoola that’s where I heard the word bibby. Laugh-in.

Sandy hope friend’s daughter improves sounds like she has a number of difficulties to overcome. Prayers for her.11 hours days would make me and has made me cranky too. Feel your pain with the deep freeze and snow.

Vicki Nebraska sounds like a movie I would like to see.

Barbie 20,000 steps great goal.

Will run errands today. First time out since Thursday. Tonight going to a chamber concert with a friend and my son.
    Goal
    To take care of myself today to have a healthier tomorrow.
    2014 word:contentment
    :heart:
    Margaret
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday morning!! We got about an inch of snow during the night and was pretty slick when I came to work. Sounds like there were quite a few accidents this morning. People just need to slow down.

Michelle--I did get to watch the last part of the race when I got home last evening. I thought it was a good race. Some pretty interesting wrecks. Just read that you went back and watched the ending on TV. I can't say I blame you I would not have fun being wet and cold.:cry:

Gail--Congrates on getting your taxes done. I just hate it as so afraid we will have to pay in. I have a plastic bag I put things in during the year so have it all in one place when it is time to take it to the people that do it.:smile:

Joyce--Your beach house sounds wonderful. I want to go and I will sleep on the deck.LOL:blushing:

I upset with DSD. We have been planning for acouple months the party this Saturday for her dad. He will be 60. Anyway she texts me this morning saying she doesn't think she will be there. Then an hour later she texted me again saying they are having the BD party for DGD the next Saturday and told me what to get her for a gift. I have not answered as to upset. Well the two boys and I will handle the party.:mad:

Carol--my days off move around and I do work some weekends. But I know what you mean after I am off a day or two and then work several in a row, I get down about it. Trying not to think to far ahead and take it one day at a time. Now we have one girl in the hospital so we are having to cover her hours. Always seems to be something. Prayers to DS and pray they figure out what is wrong and can fix it soon. Must be so stressful. Please take care of yourself.:heart:

Welcome to the newbies. We just keep growing and sharing. Love it!:heart:
    Have a safe and warm day all. Log everybite.
    Blessed! Vicki GI NE
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Ok, it's actually afternoon already. Don't know where that time went.

Last night hubby and I went to our local ice cream place for our weekly supper out. I got a grilled chicken sandwich and a scoop of ice cream. Their chicken sandwich is not the best but their ice cream makes up for it. So, we were sitting there enjoying our treats when my son came up to our table. We had not expected him, so it was a surprise. He told us that he brought the kids there to meet with their mother and her parents who had come down for an unofficial supervised visit. It was the first time the kids have seen their mom in more than 8 months. The middle girl was crying because she was so happy, which of course got me started crying. So, they were all sitting at a table somewhere behind us, and I heard a lot of laughing and jabbering. It was a tense situation, but it went well. My son sat with us and kept his eye on the kids. He had notified the police that she was coming for a visit so we noticed a couple of cruisers driving through the parking lot which made us feel better too. The last time our local cops saw her it was during an armed standoff with shots fired. And the grandparents actually abducted the kids once before. Hubby and I stayed a lot longer than we had planned, not wanting to leave my son alone to deal with it, but finally we got up to leave, walking around the long way so we didn't walk past their table and disturb their reunion, but just as we got to the door, all three kids rushed up behind us for hugs and told us they loved us. More tears.

This morning I went to my GP. She was really impressed with my weight loss. I'm down 16 pounds just since my last appointment! I had her order a genetic test for A1-AT deficiency that my son has, just to verify that I actually am a carrier and it's not just a big mistake. My son gave me a copy of his test results which I gave to her to put in my records. She also wanted a blood sugar and cholesterol test, which I planned for by not eating breakfast, so I was ready.

Tonight I pick up the younger granddaughter and take her to her first Girl Scout meeting. She really excited about that. I'm going to Joplin later this week to buy their uniforms and stuff.

We have sunshine today but snow in the forecast again later in the week. Oh joy.

Have a great Monday everyone!

Sylvia
    From Kansas where the weather can't make up its mind.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Greatly in need of a nap, so this will be quick. Ended up sleeping at Gwen's last night ; she was all upset, couldn't get her washer to work, insisted it was broken. Went over there last night---washer was fine, so I did her wash; she only had one load and watched Downton with her. Decided to just stay over as we were going to try for taxes again today; I don't sleep well at all in her spare bedroom. Got her taxes done by AARP at the library-- YAY!!!-- took an hour waiting before they opened, then 2 1/2 more until she was done and had them checked. Went to a pharmacy with a list of her drugs and had them looked at to see if any of them could be causing her problems, got a few leads to speak to the dr. about. Then took her food shopping. WHEW, doesn't sound like much, but I'm exhausted.

On the WLS........I've known 2 people who got it..........didn't work long term for either one.

Hi to everyone..............off to nap.
    yanniejannie
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Have a great mon.
    Feeling a little better,been spending most of my days in bed,so not like me.I took 2 days off from watching Violet,it`s killing me,but can`t take care of her now.:cry:
    Welcome to the new ladies.You`ll love this group.Come and visit as often as you want.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    HUGS:heart:
    jane
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: nccarol - you asked"Beth - If you figure out how to change that ticker, let me know. I lost over 50 pounds before I started MFP but couldn't figure out how to make that show. Hence, it shows my current goal." Go to 'My Home' on the top menu, then to 'Check-in' on the menu just below. In that section it will allow you to edit previous entries, as will as change starting weight and date. This should automatically translate to your ticker. If not, edit your ticker, which can also be done anytime. Good luck!

:flowerforyou: Katla- using logic on husbands...sigh. now there's a job and a half! :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Sylvia - that was quite the tough situation. Good thinking on your part. And good idea to have the A1 thingy checked out as well.

:flowerforyou: Kathy - I really like your contributions.

:flowerforyou: Barbie - you look amazing!

Speaking of assumptions: did you know that certain exercises, such as crunches and planks (and some other ones I cannot quite remember now) do damage to abdominal muscles that have a condition called diastasis recti? It is a disorder defined as a separation of the rectus abdominis muscle into right and left halves. Look it up. Some separation is nothing to be concerned about, but...well, you look it up. Especially if you've had multiple pregnancies and/or large babies.

We have snow here. No really. The snowplow just came by, so it's true. :noway: :noway:

Renny
    From "Looks like christmas" Vancouver Island, BC
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,934 Member
    Options
    Just an update. Feb. goals are a bust. Didn't do well at all this month. Depressed and a lot of family stuff. Son depressed about money, girlfriend, his son, etc. normal growing pains but his depression worries me. My mom having issues with her husband who is delusional at times and hallucinates, but the docs say he is capable of making his own health decisions. As soon as they said that, he discharged himself from the nursing home and proceeded to "kill the bugs" on the wall which turned out that he used a lighter to 'kill the bugs' which were not bugs at all but a cobweb in the cellar stairs. He scorched the wall and scared my mom. He is still at home, confined to a wheel chair and stubborn as a mule. My mom is 78 years old and can't handle this. He is also in diapers. Big mess.

I have to admit I haven't read many posts, simply no time. But here is an update on my February goals:

My SMART goals for February:
    I will lose 5 pounds by February 28 through consistently going to Curves at least 4 times a week and increasing my daily steps to average 8,000 steps a week. My ultimate goal is to weigh 145 or less pounds and be healthy by this time next year.

Amendment to goal: if I cannot make it to the gym 4 times in a week, I will exercise to my walking video for at least 30 minutes.
    Pretty much same as last month.
    SMART goal - Specific, Measurable, Actionable/achievable, Realistic, and Timed.

Week1: steps average: 5066. Curves 3 times (closed do to snow). Lost 1 pound
    Week 2: steps average: 4636 (getting worse!) Curves 3 times (closed do to snow ) shoveled snow 3 hours this week! No loss but 6 inches gone!
    Week 3: steps average: 4643. Curves 4 times (open late due to ice one day). Gained 3 pounds, depressed this past week.

Rita from CT
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,651 Member
    Options
    Momsamodel ... I'm not sure how to figure the percentages ... but if I took my heaviest weight and use it for all three of these bench marks ... here's my experience:

20# loss or about 7% ... I felt better ... only my husband commented
    40# loss or about 15%... those who hadn't seen me for a while noticed
    65# loss or about 24% ... everyone is commenting!

And now the pressure is on .... because now everyone knows I'm dieting!

Beth in WNY

Thanks Beth!!! I am a long way from even 7 % but that is a fun mini goal!
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,776 Member
    Options
    Renny ... thanks! I just fixed that ticker! Guess I just needed to acknowledge the other weight loss before joining MFP. Prideful I suspect ... but it was hard work!
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Renny! Let me see what this looks like...

Edit: I decided to keep it at pounds to go, but it does show my real loss in my goal.

Beth: It is hard work and I kinda want my credit for it!!
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Yay Beth and Carol. It represents a ton of terrifically hard work. You deserve your ticker to reflect that!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Exhausted and I've got a headache! Went out and bought a smartphone for the first time in my life. :sad: :blushing: :laugh:
    Trying to figure out how to use it! :sad: I will get my old number transferred tomorrow so am just using internet on it.
    I am so slow at new technology and panic easily. Once I get used to it everything is fine, but right now I just am tired and frustrated.
    Will have to take a pain killer tonight. At least I've done it, which is a big milestone. I've been trying to make the decision for well over a year, feeling that I am embarassing myself with my old steam phone! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    It's not a posh one, but an improvement.

Oh such a neckache! Must relax.
    Love Heather in windy Hampshire UK