^good call about that silver lining. It's abominable
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Did grandma know what was at stake?
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    grandma was just being grandma. be happy she gives you some time off.

be pissed at the school for making a SEVEN YEAR OLD leave the tourney. over .02 lbs. WTF.

and if this is a parenting fail then i guess i should just give my kid up to children's aid.

really!?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    My seven year old had a state level wrestling tournament today, for which he needed to weigh in at 76 lbs or less to compete:

After he was snowed out of over six hours of practice this week . . . I let him have dinner at his grandmother's house last night without being there to supervise and stop her "need to feed." (What was I thinking?!!)

THE AGONY OF DEFEAT: He had to forfeit this morning, at 76.2 lbs. :sad:

FUNNY SIDE: After weighing in, he came home for a substanstial . . . er, "evacuation." :laugh: *sigh*

SILVER LINING: Maybe letting Grandma see the tears will help her understand why it's NOT NICE to overfeed kids. :angry:

this was my issue with wrestling. My son was a wrestler from age 6 to 17. We said from day 1 that he would never, ever wrestle in a weight class below his current weight. We saw too many kids starving themselves trying to lose 20-30 lbs below their normal, healthy weight, and following dangerous sweating and dehydration practices to try to make weight. My son was in cross-country in the fall, wrestling all winter, and track in the spring. the distance running gave him the stamina he needed to be successful in wrestling, even when he was in weight classes where his opponents had cut weight to compete and he was giving up muscle mass. It's not worth their health to try to be successful at a sport they won't ever care about again after graduation.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Wow, I think that's insane to put that kind of weight pressure on such a young kid.
  • waytobeduck
    Options
    ohno ): poor grandma.. i'm so glad mine attempts to overfeed me tho. grandma cooking is the best cooking.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Wow, I think that's insane to put that kind of weight pressure on such a young kid.

This. I had no idea these kind of weight rules even existed in sports. We're a hockey family and you can't even see the kid under all the padding/equipment they have to wear :laugh:
  • mccindy72
    Options

This. I had no idea these kind of weight rules even existed in sports. We're a hockey family and you can't even see the kid under all the padding/equipment they have to wear :laugh:

wrestling is the absolute worst offender. My son had kids in his weight class in high school (135 lbs) who weight 165 a month before season started. they can't be an ounce over their class weight limit or they can't wrestle, there is only one kid per weight class per team. These kids will put Jolly Ranchers in their mouths and just spit into a bottle the whole morning before weigh in to lose a pound of water weight.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

wrestling is the absolute worst offender. My son had kids in his weight class in high school (135 lbs) who weight 165 a month before season started. they can't be an ounce over their class weight limit or they can't wrestle, there is only one kid per weight class per team. These kids will put Jolly Ranchers in their mouths and just spit into a bottle the whole morning before weigh in to lose a pound of water weight.

:noway: That's nuts!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Man, I can't believe people are taking this thread so seriously. Am I the only one who sees a tongue in cheek comment?

Also, no catch weight or grace weight in these tournaments?
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    this was my issue with wrestling. My son was a wrestler from age 6 to 17. We said from day 1 that he would never, ever wrestle in a weight class below his current weight. We saw too many kids starving themselves trying to lose 20-30 lbs below their normal, healthy weight, and following dangerous sweating and dehydration practices to try to make weight. My son was in cross-country in the fall, wrestling all winter, and track in the spring. the distance running gave him the stamina he needed to be successful in wrestling, even when he was in weight classes where his opponents had cut weight to compete and he was giving up muscle mass. It's not worth their health to try to be successful at a sport they won't ever care about again after graduation.

I really like this approach. I'm not going to push my kids to do anything (but I'd be lying if I said that I don't hope they want to box, play soccer, and be ninjas) but if they do decide to, I want to teach them how to do it correctly. Sports are already dangerous enough without sacrificing solid nutrition and training practices.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Wow... This is a big parenting fail, but not in the way the OP intended it. That isn't a healthy relationship with food, and then she has the nerve to blame grandma. I mean really, should she have sneaked miralax into your child's koolaid to make sure he had a bowel movement before weigh in? What lengths are you really willing to go to make sure your child is right under 76 lbs? *forehead smack* Seems like an episode of "Dance Moms" only with wrestling.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Man, I can't believe people are taking this thread so seriously. Am I the only one who sees a tongue in cheek comment?

Also, no catch weight or grace weight in these tournaments?

by mid-season, they usually grant them 1 more pound. It's being taken seriously because it's so dangerous and encourages a lot of eating disorders in young boys.
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options

[/quote/]

Does that jolly rancher and spitting thing work? I'm desperate to get to 50 pounds lost!

( I'm just kidding! No one attack me with you have an eating disorder messages!)
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    This "wrestling parent" mentality is outrageous! This kid is only 7!!! I cannot even fathom a few pounds making a difference for my kids in sports, better yet 3.2 ounces?!?! Insane! Glad my boys play football, basketball and run track, and I have never even heard of such foolishness before.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    What lengths are you really willing to go to make sure your child is right under 76 lbs?

What makes you think this is parent driven?

From what I can see, the kid wants to wrestle. The rules are what they are. The individual learning the real lesson here is the kid himself - if you want to compete, don't pig out before a tournament!
  • mccindy72
    Options
    What lengths are you really willing to go to make sure your child is right under 76 lbs?

What makes you think this is parent driven?

From what I can see, the kid wants to wrestle. The rules are what they are. The individual learning the real lesson here is the kid himself - if you want to compete, don't pig out before a tournament!

It might be sport-driven, but it is parent-supported. The decision to cut or not cut starts at home. My son never cut weight to make a weight class. that was our decision, and we stood firm. if he wanted to wrestle, and the coaches wanted him on the team, he would not cut weight.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

People are going overboard, as usual. This is the same board where it's routine to see posters advising folks get a divorce over petty nonsense like "my husband doesn't appreciate my weight loss".

I didn't think the OP was being serious. And even if she was we don't even know the context of her relationship with grandma. People just hear "grandma", assume she's some sweet, benevolent saint, and the OP is the wicked daughter or DIL who is stringing her up. For all we know the OP could have talked to grandma about overfeeding the kids, and she continues to defy her out of spite. We just don't know.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1152932-harming-children-to-make-yourself-feel-good

It's funny how this all sounded SO familiar. Go back and read the advice you got in that tread. It still applies.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    People are going overboard, as usual.

It's the internet. Can't miss out on any chance to validate our own failures by jumping all over the slightest apparent transgression by others.
This discussion has been closed.