PARENTING FAIL, big time . . .

Options

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1152932-harming-children-to-make-yourself-feel-good

It's funny how this all sounded SO familiar. Go back and read the advice you got in that tread. It still applies.

Holy crap. I always have to walk away from these parents when I run into then IRL. Fortunately, it hasn't been a regular thing. Poor kid.
  • SummerIsis
    SummerIsis Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I can sympathize. We also have a grandma that does what makes HER feel good without regard for the stress it causes our family. Inappropriate foods. Inappropriate toys. Inappropriate clothes.

Our guilty-grandma just got the "don't buy before asking" lecture this morning.

I'm sorry that you and your son are going through this but I'm sorry to say that I doubt that grandma will "get it" just because your son cried.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Man, I can't believe people are taking this thread so seriously. Am I the only one who sees a tongue in cheek comment?

People are going overboard, as usual. This is the same board where it's routine to see posters advising folks get a divorce over petty nonsense like "my husband doesn't appreciate my weight loss".

I didn't think the OP was being serious. And even if she was we don't even know the context of her relationship with grandma. People just hear "grandma", assume she's some sweet, benevolent saint, and the OP is the wicked daughter or DIL who is stringing her up. For all we know the OP could have talked to grandma about overfeeding the kids, and she continues to defy her out of spite. We just don't know.

the primary issue most of us are discussing, if you read our posts, is not grandma and whether she is overfeeding the kiddoes (about which I could give a sweet crap). it's the sport of children's wrestling and the fact that the pressure it puts on children to meet a certain weight goal creates a problem with eating disorders in young boys much as gymnastics does in young girls. it is a serious problem, especially in places like Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin where these sports are popular.
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong I think wrestling is great for kids who want to do it but I hate the emphasis on weight even though I can understand the reasoning. Drives me nuts we try not to get kids self concious yet this does the opposite. Anyway I guess maybe telling grandparent he can't have extras may have helped or (not sure what he ate) but having more filling foods that will satisfy the hunger more? Overall it is a learning experience. I'm sorry they didn't bump him up to the next weight class. That's pretty crappy.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    OP, did you so much enjoy all the criticism you got in the first thread about this that you wanted seconds?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1152932-harming-children-to-make-yourself-feel-good?hl=hurting+children
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you tell Grandma not to overfeed your kid! Nothing boosts a child's self-esteem and self-concept like having to worry about how much he or she weighs!

In a world of food abundance, high quality eating habits are an important skill.

My 9 year old tracks calories, reads nutritional labels, and makes some basic food choices on his own.

Here's your father of the year award.

There is no place in the world for a 7 year old crying about his/her weight. The rules in this case, given the child's age, are absurd, but that aside -- if this kid wants to wrestle, he needs to be in a weight class that isn't going to be blown by ONE meal. A child, especially one as young as this, shouldn't be worrying about everything they eat so they can participate in a spot. That is a whole lot different than raising a kid that understand nutrition labels and healthy eating.

OP -- you had your kid all week long, if you really think him being involved in this type of activity is a great idea, it is YOUR job to make sure it's being managed in a health way. Having him in a weight class that some extra mashed potatoes will toss him out of, especially when he probably lacks the ability to comprehend how his body works, is on YOU.

Not granny.

That you would use your child's despair as a "HA told you, grandma" is unbelievable.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Did grandma know what was at steak?

Fixed it for ya. :wink:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I think people are missing the fact that the kid missed weight by less than a quarter of a pound. It's not like he needs to cut to make his weight. He forgot to go to the bathroom before weigh in. Weight limit was 76, and he weighed in at 76.2. This is seriously being blown way out of proportion by everyone here.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you tell Grandma not to overfeed your kid! Nothing boosts a child's self-esteem and self-concept like having to worry about how much he or she weighs!

In a world of food abundance, high quality eating habits are an important skill.

My 9 year old tracks calories, reads nutritional labels, and makes some basic food choices on his own.

My 9 year old daughter doesn't track calories but she can sure tell you how many are in certain things. She has watched me for 2+ years do it. She makes really good choices(better than me most of the time). Knowledge is power and I could not agree more that eating habits are a very important skill.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Awwww! Sorry!!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options

There is NO way I'd want my 8 year old tracking calories. Making healthy choices, sure. But tracking calories? That seems like a recipe for an ED down the road.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    aww so disappointing for you all - darn 0.2 lbs :angry:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I think people are missing the fact that the kid missed weight by less than a quarter of a pound. It's not like he needs to cut to make his weight. He forgot to go to the bathroom before weigh in. Weight limit was 76, and he weighed in at 76.2. This is seriously being blown way out of proportion by everyone here.

No, people are reacting to OP because she has a habit of making posts that blame family members for overfeeding: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1152932-harming-children-to-make-yourself-feel-good
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,062 Member
    Options

No, people are reacting to OP because she has a habit of making posts that blame family members for overfeeding: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1152932-harming-children-to-make-yourself-feel-good

I guess I need to unignore her? I have a low tolerance for this stuff, though. Maybe not.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

There's the blame, yes, but let's not forget the damage BSC parents do to their kids.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...for later.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    In this particular case. and on weigh-in day. many wrestlers cut as much as 30 lbs in the month or 2 before start of season at the direction of coaches to compete and then struggle to keep the weight off during the entire five-month season. Often they attend camps in the summer and cut weight there too.
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options

Here's your father of the year award.

There is no place in the world for a 7 year old crying about his/her weight. The rules in this case, given the child's age, are absurd, but that aside -- if this kid wants to wrestle, he needs to be in a weight class that isn't going to be blown by ONE meal. A child, especially one as young as this, shouldn't be worrying about everything they eat so they can participate in a spot. That is a whole lot different than raising a kid that understand nutrition labels and healthy eating.

OP -- you had your kid all week long, if you really think him being involved in this type of activity is a great idea, it is YOUR job to make sure it's being managed in a health way. Having him in a weight class that some extra mashed potatoes will toss him out of, especially when he probably lacks the ability to comprehend how his body works, is on YOU.

Not granny.

That you would use your child's despair as a "HA told you, grandma" is unbelievable.

qft. a 9 year old counting calories? are you kidding!? teach them about the food guide, eating their veggies, etc.. but counting calories? talk about unhealthy attitudes toward food, pretty much in this thread as a whole.
  • tedsmama
    tedsmama Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    This thread makes we want to hug my kids and then call my mom and tell her that I'm so grateful that she spoils my kids rotten.
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    This thread makes we want to hug my kids and then call my mom and tell her that I'm so grateful that she spoils my kids rotten.

this. exactly.
This discussion has been closed.