So can we put this topic to bed now?

Options
Tykk
Tykk Posts: 153 Member
Pretty sobering evidence on sugar is now in:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/sugar-damages-the-bodys-organs-directly-new-findings-suggest/article16664804

“The new paradigm hypothesizes that sugar has adverse health effects above any purported role as ‘empty calories’ promoting obesity,” Laura Schmidt, a researcher at the Philip R. Lee Institute for Health Policy Studies at the University of California San Francisco writes in the journal. “Too much sugar does not just make us fat; it can also make us sick.”

In plain English, sugar is not just bad because it has a lot of calories, it is bad because it "damages the body’s organs directly".

The remaining question is, how much sugar is safe. And the answer is not at all clear.

"The U.S. Institute of Medicine recommends that people not consume more than 25 per cent of their daily calories in added sugars. The World Health Organization, for its part, sets the threshold at 10 per cent. But the American Heart Association recommends that women get no more than five per cent of their daily calories from sugar, and men not exceed 7.5 per cent."

The upper end of this range (25% of daily calories) is obviously a LOT of sugar. But the lower end of 5%-7.5% is really not that high at all.

And it's worth emphasizing that they are talking about added sugars - not about the sugar you naturally get in fruit, for example.

There have been a lot of heated arguments about the safety of sugar on these boards. It's getting to the point where the science is clear enough that most of us will want to watch our sugar in the same way as, say, we watch our intake of sodium or polyunsaturated fat.

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    even to play devils advocate is the sugar the problem or the food consumed WITH the sugar really the problem?

This is like the car in the back blaming everyone else for a traffic jam...
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I like milk and cookies when being put to bed. So if that TL;DR is saying suger is okay, then yes, let's go to bed now.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Uh no. Because there was no reference to the primary research. And a quick search of PubMed netted me zilch.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    even to play devils advocate is the sugar the problem or the food consumed WITH the sugar really the problem?

This is like the car in the back blaming everyone else for a traffic jam...

Indeed. If there are folks sitting around spooning sacks of sugar into their mouths, I sure don't know about it.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I wanna go to bed!
    I couldnt sleep til 1135pm and 438am came real fast...
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/sugar-damages-the-bodys-organs-directly-new-findings-suggest/article16664804

“The new paradigm hypothesizes that sugar has adverse health effects above any purported role as ‘empty calories’ promoting obesity,” Laura Schmidt, a researcher at the Philip R. Lee Institute for Health Policy Studies at the University of California San Francisco writes in the journal. “Too much sugar does not just make us fat; it can also make us sick.”

A hypothesis is a theory. What study proves everything this article is stating? I don't get it, I was expecting to see proof.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Pretty sobering evidence on sugar

That's hilarious...That study is a correlation study, not a causation study, correlation studies are very weak, and no this matter is not put to bed. The fact that they specifically stated that added sugar is bad and "natural sugar" is good is laughable. Go ahead and create your own demonizing view of sugar and find some weak evidence supporting you, good work...
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Uh no. Because there was no reference to the primary research. And a quick search of PubMed netted me zilch.

This-I tried finding more info, but have come up with nothing so far?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

A hypothesis is a theory. What study proves everything this article is stating? I don't get it, I was expecting to see proof.

I'm with you, when something starts with a hypothesis, i want to see data to the contrary or supporting, one way or the other. i don't mind if you put your take on it in the verbage but raw data for me to interpret is like gold. actually holy grail lately.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    That study is a correlation study, not a causation study, correlation studies are very weak, and no this matter is not put to bed. The fact that they specifically stated that added sugar is bad and "natural sugar" is good is laughable. Go ahead and create your own demonizing view of sugar and find some weak evidence supporting you, good work...

Gato? Is that you?

When will people remember that "added" sugar is sourced from a natural source? OMG. this makes my brain itch.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

In plain English, sugar is not just bad because it has a lot of calories, it is bad because it "damages the body’s organs directly".

The remaining question is, how much sugar is safe. And the answer is not at all clear.

"The U.S. Institute of Medicine recommends that people not consume more than 25 per cent of their daily calories in added sugars. The World Health Organization, for its part, sets the threshold at 10 per cent. But the American Heart Association recommends that women get no more than five per cent of their daily calories from sugar, and men not exceed 7.5 per cent."

The upper end of this range (25% of daily calories) is obviously a LOT of sugar. But the lower end of 5%-7.5% is really not that high at all.

And it's worth emphasizing that they are talking about added sugars - not about the sugar you naturally get in fruit, for example.

There have been a lot of heated arguments about the safety of sugar on these boards. It's getting to the point where the science is clear enough that most of us will want to watch our sugar in the same way as, say, we watch our intake of sodium or polyunsaturated fat.

Well, at least we agree on the bolded. I think watching my sugar is exactly as important as watching sodium and polyunsaturated fat- that is to say, not at all important. Because science.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    In for the baseless article being provided as "proof".
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    If we are talking strictly "added sugar" (in coffee, pie, cookies, sauces....) I think the max 10% of your intake is reasonable. If it means all sugar(in milk, fruit...) I think it is excessively restrictive.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

homeless3.jpg
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Was the studies made on people who do exercise or not? Cos some studies has shown that all the sugar caused risks are eliminated or dramatically reduced if you exercise. Also what was eating habits of those people in first place? More likely that person who drinks one sweetened drink in a week will be generally eating more healthy than person who drinks one drink a day. It's not about drinks, it's about total sugar consumed.
    Show me the links to studies and references where I can go to look up research conditions (article provides none). Otherwise it just seems like another speculation article to me.
    Author is writing article about his personal opinion and is cherry picking data without giving any references. So am I supposed to just believe that there even was such study in first place? And if there was conditions are very important, not just conclusions - conditions are what makes conclusions.
    One site wrote that sugar make u sick. So what? Many sites write that it doesn't. Numbers and data of studies please otherwise I call this BS.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I guess I will have to use sugar free whipped cream when putting men to bed....
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    In for the denial.:happy:

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Check out that work in bold. :noway:

edit
    Drat - should have read the replies first. Oh well - can't be overstated enough.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the research could be mildly interesting, but I can't find it on PubMed or my university library's ediscover. Unpublished, maybe?