So can we put this topic to bed now?

Options

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Quoted researcher: “Too much sugar does not just make us fat; it can also make us sick.”

OP: In plain English, sugar is not just bad because it has a lot of calories, it is bad because it "damages the body’s organs directly".

NO. OP, please do not ever attempt to work as a science writer. The quote by the researcher clearly says "TOO MUCH SUGAR." Even water, consumed in sufficient quantity, will kill you.

Do most people consume an excessive amount of refined sugar (for values of "excessive" within 3sds of MFP forum norm)? Sure. And it's a great place to start cutting calories, when one takes a look at one's food log.

However, the idea of sugar being evil - even if it is refined, well-heeled, snooty white cane sugar...that's just silly. It would be nice if we could solve all obesity and health issues by canonizing some ingredients and demonizing others, but it just doesn't work that way.

"There is no secret ingredient" -Po

ETA: correcting "you" to "one" for clarity - not personal

Read the article and abstract. The researchers define "too much sugar" and literally say that it "damages the organs directly." At least that's the hypothesis.

Researchers have a tendency to vastly overreach from their findings. There's a reason most quotes like this come from press releases or news articles about a study rather than the study itself. That sort of thing doesn't generally get past the peer review process. Sometimes it does. I don't have access to the original study so it's hard to say, but it wouldn't surprise me. The AMA is fully on board with sugar demonization these days.

The authors of the study didn't write that line (or at least its not in the abstract). The 'too much sugar makes us sick" came from the commentary that the journal put out. Sensational press releases: the bane of scientists everywhere.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Quoted researcher: “Too much sugar does not just make us fat; it can also make us sick.”

OP: In plain English, sugar is not just bad because it has a lot of calories, it is bad because it "damages the body’s organs directly".

NO. OP, please do not ever attempt to work as a science writer. The quote by the researcher clearly says "TOO MUCH SUGAR." Even water, consumed in sufficient quantity, will kill you.

Do most people consume an excessive amount of refined sugar (for values of "excessive" within 3sds of MFP forum norm)? Sure. And it's a great place to start cutting calories, when one takes a look at one's food log.

However, the idea of sugar being evil - even if it is refined, well-heeled, snooty white cane sugar...that's just silly. It would be nice if we could solve all obesity and health issues by canonizing some ingredients and demonizing others, but it just doesn't work that way.

Read the article and abstract. The researchers define "too much sugar" and literally say that it "damages the organs directly." At least that's the hypothesis.

Researchers have a tendency to vastly overreach from their findings. There's a reason most quotes like this come from press releases or news articles about a study rather than the study itself. That sort of thing doesn't generally get past the peer review process. Sometimes it does. I don't have access to the original study so it's hard to say, but it wouldn't surprise me. The AMA is fully on board with sugar demonization these days.

The authors of the study didn't write that line (or at least its not in the abstract). The 'too much sugar makes us sick" came from the commentary that the journal put out. Sensational press releases: the bane of scientists everywhere.

Ah fair point. I misremembered who said what.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

^this.

I did a study that got published and the ads that referenced the study all made it sound so different than it actually was.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    even to play devils advocate is the sugar the problem or the food consumed WITH the sugar really the problem?

This is like the car in the back blaming everyone else for a traffic jam...

Indeed. If there are folks sitting around spooning sacks of sugar into their mouths, I sure don't know about it.

They may not be spooning it in, but people sure love drinking sugar filled water.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21423499

http://garethsworld.com/food/juice-juice/
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    tagging to read after I eat my Breyers ice cream
  • MarlaVSings
    MarlaVSings Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    "TOPIC: So can we put this topic to bed now?"

Yeah, because that was your intent for posting this. ....Right....

:indifferent:
  • fitformidlife
    Options
    "TOPIC: So can we put this topic to bed now?"
    Yeah, because that was your intent for posting this. ....Right....
    To the OP: Put this topic to bed...
    inigo-meme-generator-i-don-t-think-that-means-what-you-think-it-means-f7ab44.jpg
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options

^this.

I did a study that got published and the ads that referenced the study all made it sound so different than it actually was.
    QFT - and rather frustrating if you happen to be a fan of science (or participant)

Also, while the study does define "too much" in 2 categories of excess...it shows there's currently a downward trend of people eating sugar in the most excessive/most harmful amounts (25% or more).

AND the quoted non-author subject matter expert was incompletely quoted, as well (also sadly typical). Quite a bit less provocative in context:
    "“Too much sugar can make you fat; it can also make you sick, sick from diseases like cardiovascular disease, which is the No. 1 killer in America,” said Laura Schmidt, a school of medicine professor at the University of California at San Francisco, in a telephone interview.

“Small amounts of sugar are fine. It’s consuming massive amounts of sugar that’s a growing problem in America.”"
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    See. All the info proving the point I was trying to make. None of the work.

:laugh:

I've been manipulated!

You get so serious when arguing for the value of "empty" calories.

I'm arguing against demonizing particular nutrients. Carbs are bad! Fat is bad! Protein is bad! Sugar is bad! Salt is bad! No.... they're not bad.

Besides, I'm always serious.

internet-serious-business.jpg

Food! Is! Addictive!!!
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    My daughter did not even taste sugar until she started kindergarten. The teacher called me one day and said, I think you better lighten up on the sugar scare. One of my daughter's classmates had a birthday and brought in cupcakes. I had told my daughter that sugar would rot your teeth. Well, it will. My daughter wouldn't eat the cupcakes. To this day, she is a size 2 and never a weight problem. :-)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    My daughter did not even taste sugar until she started kindergarten. He teacher called me one day and said, I think you better lighten up on the sugar scare. One of my daughter's classmates had a birthday and brought in cupcakes. I had told my daughter that sugar would rot your teeth. Well, it will. My daughter wouldn't eat the cupcakes. To this day, she is a size 2 and never a weight problem. :-)

I can't even start with this
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    In. Before a mod puts this to bed.
  • angie007az
    Options
    My daughter did not even taste sugar until she started kindergarten. He teacher called me one day and said, I think you better lighten up on the sugar scare. One of my daughter's classmates had a birthday and brought in cupcakes. I had told my daughter that sugar would rot your teeth. Well, it will. My daughter wouldn't eat the cupcakes. To this day, she is a size 2 and never a weight problem. :-)

Because.....? If sugar was just found today and had to go through all the FDA approvals, it would fail. It is very bad for all of us.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    My daughter did not even taste sugar until she started kindergarten. The teacher called me one day and said, I think you better lighten up on the sugar scare. One of my daughter's classmates had a birthday and brought in cupcakes. I had told my daughter that sugar would rot your teeth. Well, it will. My daughter wouldn't eat the cupcakes. To this day, she is a size 2 and never a weight problem. :-)

Sounds like you've set your daughter up with an extremely balanced, healthy approach to food.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Anecdotal article, but an interesting read none the less.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/twin-doctors-experiment-low-fat-low-sugar-diets-article-1.1597066

My interpretation: calorie deficit and everything in moderation
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    See. All the info proving the point I was trying to make. None of the work.

:laugh:

I've been manipulated!

You get so serious when arguing for the value of "empty" calories.

I'm arguing against demonizing particular nutrients. Carbs are bad! Fat is bad! Protein is bad! Sugar is bad! Salt is bad! No.... they're not bad.

Besides, I'm always serious.

internet-serious-business.jpg

Food! Is! Addictive!!!

No kidding. I can't stop eating it. It's like I need it every day.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Because.....? If sugar was just found today and had to go through all the FDA approvals, it would fail. It is very bad for all of us.

Egads.

What's your position on honey?

Or fruit?

Or rice?
  • angie007az
    Options
    And then there is this... Did you know that cancer cells love sugar? It's true.

http://normaleating.com/blog/2012/05/sugar-is-toxic-causes-heart-disease-cancer-more/
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Because there is nothing I could say that won't bring down the rage of the mods upon me
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!