So can we put this topic to bed now?

Options

Replies

• twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Why don't we do our own MFP poll and ask who feels that sugar is making them ill? Based on actual facts, tummy aches, bad skin, headache, insulin sensitivity, mood swings etc.

I'm not saying you only eat the white stuff with a spoon to prove it's not food combinations but I know from personal exclusion testing that added sugar gives me all of the above yet I crave it like my life depends on it.

My life has enhanced in all ways since eliminating sugar from my normal eating regime (I'm not on a diet) I only have the occasional wobble now instead of week long binges and have lost a decent amount of weight so far.

Edited for type-os

You can add me to your poll-I eat a decent amount of sugar (added and naturally occurring), and I have none of the above listed symptoms. I feel pretty amazing on a day to day basis :happy: I actually used to have very oily skin, but that went away as I lost weight, even though I did not make any changes in the kinds of food I ate (just quantity). You can see the difference in the 'shine' in my before/after face pictures :)
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar because in the context of a healthy balance diet it doesn't matter.
    I just bothered to check my nutrition details for the last few weeks and yeah, I didn't even come close to 125 grams of total sugar, never mind added. The worst day was 89 grams.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar because in the context of a healthy balance diet it doesn't matter.
    I just bothered to check my nutrition details for the last few weeks and yeah, I didn't even come close to 125 grams of total sugar, never mind added. The worst day was 89 grams.

yep in the past 90 days I've hit it once, and that was a very sad stressful day for me when I just ate a crap tonne of comfort food - and I still only hit 129.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Let's not get our panties too much in a bunch over this.

2000 cals * 1/4 = 500 cals of ADDED sugar.

500 cals /4 cal/gram = 125 grams.

125 grams of sugar = 1/2 cup of sugar, or around 24 teaspoons!

That's a lot... Just saying... Cant' see how anybody can say that's a good thing...

I keep going back to basic maths.

How the heck does someone take in that much added sugar.
    Not from fruit or veg, but ADDED sugar.

fizzy drinks - one can of coke is 35g

It really isn't that hard tbh.

And don't forget the "healthy" breakfast meal replacements that come in at over 40 grams of sugar. One of those and a can of pop and a sweetened latte, not to mention the packaged solid foods full of sugar (cereal, cookies, fruit snacks etc).. Seriously, I know people hitting this level of sugar, and higher, every day. Even here at MFP because "it fits in their macros". The default macro setting gives me 250-300 grams of carbs per day! Some people don't track their sugar separately because it "doesn't matter". smh

:huh: My carb number is set to 244-so what? Why is this somehow bad?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

yep in the past 90 days I've hit it once, and that was a very sad stressful day for me when I just ate a crap tonne of comfort food - and I still only hit 129.

Amateurs. 80-100g is about my average. I'd assume most of that is 'added'. I do not drink soda that has sugar in it. I do eat a lot of cookies.

Here are some especially impressive days. (Also yeah yeah, my micros are out of control. I'm a very interesting mix of all the processed food and all the nutrient dense food. it's a thing)

ZA5EYRj.png?1

EAQJWBg.png?1

NIX37Yv.png?1 (Thought to be fair I was like 500 calories over on this day, so I suppose we could not count it)

Anywho. Getting in 100+ grams of sugar is decidedly not hard.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Amateurs. 80-100g is about my average. I'd assume most of that is 'added'. I do not drink soda that has sugar in it.

Here are some especially impressive days. (Also yeah yeah, my micros are out of control. I'm a very interesting mix of all the processed food and all the nutrient dense food. it's a thing)

ZA5EYRj.png?1

EAQJWBg.png?1

NIX37Yv.png?1 (Thought to be fair I was like 500 calories over on this day, so I suppose we could not count it)

Show off.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Why don't we do our own MFP poll and ask who feels that sugar is making them ill? Based on actual facts, tummy aches, bad skin, headache, insulin sensitivity, mood swings etc.

I'm not saying you only eat the white stuff with a spoon to prove it's not food combinations but I know from personal exclusion testing that added sugar gives me all of the above yet I crave it like my life depends on it.

My life has enhanced in all ways since eliminating sugar from my normal eating regime (I'm not on a diet) I only have the occasional wobble now instead of week long binges and have lost a decent amount of weight so far.

Edited for type-os

I eat all types of sugar in moderation. I am having hot chocolate and cookies now.
    I have never had any of the symptoms you describe. I am healthy and have plenty of energy and I no longer take any prescription meds. I was extremely ill when I was obese and now I am active, healthy and happy.

I was diagnosed with migraines in high school, but I have not had one in over a year.
  • Achrya
    Options

Amateurs. 80-100g is about my average. I'd assume most of that is 'added'. I do not drink soda that has sugar in it.

ZA5EYRj.png?1

EAQJWBg.png?1

Show off.

:embarassed: :embarassed:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    sugar3.png

Granted, most of this is while bulking so eating significantly over 2000 calories.

However, today 22% of calories came from sugar. I seem to be developing a fondness for candy bars that's displacing my ice cream habit.
  • Achrya
    Options
    sugar3.png

Granted, most of this is while bulking so eating significantly over 2000 calories.

However, today 22% of calories came from sugar. I seem to be developing a fondness for candy bars that's displacing my ice cream habit.

If I'm a show off you must be King of my people.

And yet I'm impressed.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I shall play the song of my people.

Sugar_(Flo_Rida_song).jpg
  • Tykk
    Tykk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your awesome loss, Jonnythan. But you're missing the point of my post (and of the article my post cites.) Yes, it's possible to lose weight while eating sugar. But that sugar may be wreaking havoc with your arteries, your liver and other organs. That's why the American Heart Association is so concerned about it.

And I love your skiing pic. Way to enjoy this snowy winter!
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Man, I would post my graph but it's like 3 days worth /sulks away
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    “The new paradigm hypothesizes..."

Translation: nobody is buying the BS about fat anymore, let's make up scary **** about sugar.
  • Tykk
    Tykk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    So either: (1) sugar is a causal factor, or (2) cardio-vascular disease causes sugar consumption, or (3) there is some factor not included in the above that causes both.

Which do you think is most likely?

(3). The high sugar consumers are also PUFA addicts and smokers that are permanently drunk or stoned.
    Good job selectively quoting my post to remove the part where the authors explained that they controlled for such things. :wink:
  • Achrya
    Options

My graph would show days where I'm as low as 30g and I have a reputation to maintain, so all you people get is screen shots.

Wait, what I mean is...err
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

My graph would show days where I'm as low as 30g and I have a reputation to maintain, so all you people get is screen shots.

Wait, what I mean is...err

30g?!?! It's okay, we all have those days :flowerforyou:
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your awesome loss, Jonnythan. But you're missing the point of my post (and of the article my post cites.) Yes, it's possible to lose weight while eating sugar. But that sugar may be wreaking havoc with your arteries, your liver and other organs. That's why the American Heart Association is so concerned about it.

Everything will give you cancer. Everything will do damage to your body.
    We are all gonna die so im gonna eat my cookies and be happy.
  • jonnythan
    Options

And it may not be wreaking havoc with anything. Indeed, my serum cholesterol levels have improved significantly in the past few years and numbers are now optimal. My total/HDL ratio is a stellar 2.69 and my triglycerides are a very low 55 mg/dL. If there's any havoc being wreaked, there's no evidence of it on any blood work. All liver enzyme and function test indicators are completely normal.

The point is that the study doesn't appear to have corrected for a significant number of factors while isolating sugar. They established a correlation, but did not establish causation. Honestly there probably aren't many people who get as much sugar as I do while getting the quantity of protein and vegetables that I do while exercising 3-10 hours a week and maintaining <15% body fat.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    This is EXACTLY why our life expectancy dropped when we discovered how to refine sugar.