A Calorie is NOT just a Calorie

Options

Replies

• silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    No you probably lost weight from tendons, bone and organs as well. Oh am body fat as well. Unless you were eating a higher amount of protein to carbs I'm afraid that's were some of your weight loss comes from.

Hey if your cool with that then no foul no harm!

first of all, thanks for the compliment on my weight loss, but I've never heard of losing weight from tendons, bones,and organs. That's a first for me. I have, however, heard that when you do low carb, you lose a bunch of water weight, but hey, I said I've heard that, I don't know it to be a fact. I've heard and read so many contradicting articles that I don't know what to believe anymore. If only I could look inside my body and actually see what's going on inside, wouldn't that be great.?

Unfortunately calorie deficit doesn't discriminate between lean mass (muscles, bone, sinew, tendons, organs) and body fat unless your eating high protein it's likely you will be losing lean mass ( the thing you would like to keep) along with the body fat ( the stuff you don't want to keep).

If you're interested research it, don't take my word.

If you're not bothered then just keep doing what your doing.

At the end of the day if your goal is weight loss over body health then that's your goal.

But here's the thing - you can have both.

Research it? Where? What web site is reputable enough that you believe it? What book? Like I've said, I've read enough books and articles about weight loss and they all say different things.
    Where did you get your information from? If I might ask.

His info is all bullkaka.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    No you probably lost weight from tendons, bone and organs as well. Oh am body fat as well. Unless you were eating a higher amount of protein to carbs I'm afraid that's were some of your weight loss comes from.

Hey if your cool with that then no foul no harm!

first of all, thanks for the compliment on my weight loss, but I've never heard of losing weight from tendons, bones,and organs. That's a first for me. I have, however, heard that when you do low carb, you lose a bunch of water weight, but hey, I said I've heard that, I don't know it to be a fact. I've heard and read so many contradicting articles that I don't know what to believe anymore. If only I could look inside my body and actually see what's going on inside, wouldn't that be great.?

Unfortunately calorie deficit doesn't discriminate between lean mass (muscles, bone, sinew, tendons, organs) and body fat unless your eating high protein it's likely you will be losing lean mass ( the thing you would like to keep) along with the body fat ( the stuff you don't want to keep).

If you're interested research it, don't take my word.

If you're not bothered then just keep doing what your doing.

At the end of the day if your goal is weight loss over body health then that's your goal.

But here's the thing - you can have both.

Research it? Where? What web site is reputable enough that you believe it? What book? Like I've said, I've read enough books and articles about weight loss and they all say different things.
    Where did you get your information from? If I might ask.

I read a lot of information on www.marksdailyapple.com but don't just take that as gospel there's normally thread to research studies, plus if some thing looks interesting I will general trawl the net for supporting or unsupportive evidence.

If you've not come across it before take a look.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I agree on the argument "a calorie is a calorie". The question only is WHAT your body does with the different forms of calories!

If you eat one calorie of i.e. spinach, there are nutrients in there that your body needs. If you eat one calorie of junk there is not much in it that your body can use and it will end up in insulin spikes and building of fat.

Yes you can lose weight by eating chocolate, but at the end of the day you are starving your body of vital nutrients by doing so. So in respect to what your body can use of those calories and in terms of health and what this one calorie triggers in your body "a calorie is not a calorie".

I stongly believe understanding the issue of eating healthy and changing bad dietary habits to good ones is vital for keeping your weight of in the long term.
    Stef.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Again...last time I checked there are plenty of people on this site (Sara and Sidesteel to name a couple) who eat 80/20 every single day. These people are fabulously fit and rock tge sexy pants.

Naughty? What are we? Kindergardeners? Am I gonna have a time-out?

There's no such thing as 'naughty' food...smh

What you're evidence that eating 80/20 doesn't consume lean mass.

So far all you've done is put down information but offered up nothing for your reasoning.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    I agree on the argument "a calorie is a calorie". The question only is WHAT your body does with the different forms of calories!

If you eat one calorie of i.e. spinach, there are nutrients in there that your body needs. If you eat one calorie of junk there is not much in it that your body can use and it will end up in insulin spikes and building of fat.

Yes you can lose weight by eating chocolate, but at the end of the day you are starving your body of vital nutrients by doing so. So in respect to what your body can use of those calories and in terms of health and what this one calorie triggers in your body "a calorie is not a calorie".

I stongly believe understanding the issue of eating healthy and changing bad dietary habits to good ones is vital for keeping your weight of in the long term.
    Stef.

Don't use words like good or bad on this site.

They don't believe in them.

It's like pouring petrol on a fire.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'm going to call my tirade a success just because of all the common sense, balanced posts that are popping up. My work here is done.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    I'm going to call my tirade a success just because of all the common sense, balanced posts that are popping up. My work here is done.

You've done good work.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

Stef.

Well said. Pretty sure everyone understands this but just uses this topic as an excuse to argue and beat a dead horse.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Again...last time I checked there are plenty of people on this site (Sara and Sidesteel to name a couple) who eat 80/20 every single day. These people are fabulously fit and rock tge sexy pants.

So far all you've done is put down information but offered up nothing for your reasoning.

I've given you names to look up.

I have eyes sweetheart. Photographs and videos don't lie.

Dont want to look them up...sok...here you go:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/903628-one-year-of-barbells-and-ice-cream-my-story-so-far-pics

And generally good all around information:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/903628-one-year-of-barbells-and-ice-cream-my-story-so-far-pics

Ssssssidesteel...
    Giggity!!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand why people would rather have 1,500 of junk that in the end will do more harm than good to your health than eating 1,500 of tasty, healthy food that will make you a healthier human being. Why would I like to eat 1,000 at one sitting on McDonalds instead of 1,000 calories of meat, veggies, nuts, and even dessert during the day?

And forgive my english...

yea, you just don't get it..no one is saying that…

what people are trying to say is that you can eat moderately healthy and still have things like pizza, cookies, fast food, etc, and you will lose weight, hit your goals, and be in good health ...
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Ssssssidesteel...
    Giggity!!!

:laugh:
  • DamePiglet
    Options

Agreed. What it says is eat what you want and lose weight.
    But we smahrt people don't eat just twinkies.

We eat Twinkie salads. :wink:

Twinkie with a good steak salad would be better for you.

Steak schmake blech.
    Chicken.

And Kool Aid.
  • DamePiglet
    Options
    I just don't understand why people would rather have 1,500 of junk that in the end will do more harm than good to your health than eating 1,500 of tasty, healthy food that will make you a healthier human being. Why would I like to eat 1,000 at one sitting on McDonalds instead of 1,000 calories of meat, veggies, nuts, and even dessert during the day?

what people are trying to say is that you can eat moderately healthy and still have things like pizza, cookies, fast food, etc, and you will lose weight, hit your goals, and be in good health ...

Speaking of "giggity"...
    quagmire%2B2.jpg
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I feel we're beating a dead horse...:yawn:

welcome to MFP ..

I can't believe this thread is still going...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    In for the win!!!! This is better than sugar addiction threads.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

It would seem that's what some hear when all they read is "a calorie is a calorie" and "you can lose weight eating only at McDonalds". Which is the danger in posting that again and again and again with no further explanation.

Yeah, what you just said? That's what they're saying *now*. A colossal improvement from "eat whatever you want".

I did that.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe this thread is almost 750 posts long and we haven't even had a knockdown, drag out fight regarding the thermogenic properties of different macronutrients. Come on people, that's critical in the grand scheme of things and oh so ripe for vicious meaningless word-parsing pissing contests! I frankly expect more from MFP. :grumble:
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I cannot believe this thread is almost 750 posts long and we haven't even had a knockdown, drag out fight regarding the thermogenic properties of different macronutrients. Come on people, that's critical in the grand scheme of things and oh so ripe for vicious meaningless word-parsing pissing contests! I frankly expect more from MFP. :grumble:

well F me that train was late this time!
  • ndj1979
    Options

It would seem that's what some hear when all they read is "a calorie is a calorie" and "you can lose weight eating only at McDonalds". Which is the danger in posting that again and again and again with no further explanation.

Yeah, what you just said? That's what they're saying *now*. A colossal improvement from "eat whatever you want".

I did that.

again, you miss the point. Yes, technically, you can eat whatever you want, be in a deficit, and lose weight. I always advocate the 80/20 approach..80% healthy/20% whatever you want….so I am not sure who the "they" is that you are talking about …

I believe some people use that as an example to demonstrate it really is calories in vs calories out..but I have not seen anyone provided advice that one follow that approach….