I miss food

Options

Replies

• FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    yep. That's how my mom does it. If you like eating it. DO NOT EAT IT. My parents simply never buy chips, sweets, cheese, nuts, etc. My dad jokes that they live on baked fish, kale and dust. My mom says you loose the cravings completely after 6-9 months if you never give in.

I don't get this at all. Why such an all-or-nothing approach to food? IMO, that's an unhealthy way of eating and a sure fire way to set yourself up for failure.

Eat what you want, in moderation. Or lift some heavy stuff and eat a lot of it, like me.

Some people need a more all-or-nothing approach. I know for me, once I have a little splurge it is REALLY hard not to throw the whole day/week/month away. For those of us that may have mild food addictions or binge eating disorders we are not good at "moderation". That's why we're here in the first place. lol
    Everyone needs to recognize what works for them, and it's okay to miss certain foods. And it is okay to have them in moderation. You just have to find your happy place!
    I agree. I find that there are certain foods I PREFER not to eat because it's easier than trying to moderate them. It's what works FOR ME. Of course to some, this means I need to "learn self control". Ironically, choosing not to eat them, or eat them very very very rarely IS self control.
    There are many correct approaches. We each need to find what works for us.
    One or two things is totally different than the extensive list the op began with. I will agree if there is that one indulgence that you feel you can't control, if you partake, it is wise to avoids situations that will give you access to it, but if all foods are like this for you it is a problem with self control.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    yep. That's how my mom does it. If you like eating it. DO NOT EAT IT. My parents simply never buy chips, sweets, cheese, nuts, etc. My dad jokes that they live on baked fish, kale and dust. My mom says you loose the cravings completely after 6-9 months if you never give in.

I don't get this at all. Why such an all-or-nothing approach to food? IMO, that's an unhealthy way of eating and a sure fire way to set yourself up for failure.

Eat what you want, in moderation. Or lift some heavy stuff and eat a lot of it, like me.

Some people need a more all-or-nothing approach. I know for me, once I have a little splurge it is REALLY hard not to throw the whole day/week/month away. For those of us that may have mild food addictions or binge eating disorders we are not good at "moderation". That's why we're here in the first place. lol
    Everyone needs to recognize what works for them, and it's okay to miss certain foods. And it is okay to have them in moderation. You just have to find your happy place!
    I agree. I find that there are certain foods I PREFER not to eat because it's easier than trying to moderate them. It's what works FOR ME. Of course to some, this means I need to "learn self control". Ironically, choosing not to eat them, or eat them very very very rarely IS self control.
    There are many correct approaches. We each need to find what works for us.
    One or two things is totally different than the extensive list the op began with. I will agree if there is that one indulgence that you feel you can't control, if you partake, it is wise to avoids situations that will give you access to it, but if all foods are like this for you it is a problem with self control.
    Absolutely. And I edited my post to reflect that. The OP has posted NOTHING that suggests she's attempting a "lifestyle". She wants a quick fix. Every thread she posts points to that.
    And yes, for me it's basically two things: tortilla chips and ice cream. And with ice cream it's only hard to limit myself at certain times a month. Tortilla chips: all bets are off. So I don't buy them. Simple enough.
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I eat most of this stuff on a daily basis....fit in in your day...remember: lifestyle, not diet.
  • Alyssawinter1221
    Options
    I MISS PIZZA.
  • Arydria
    Arydria Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Try PB2 for your peanut butter.

OMG, I LOVE PB2. Not as greasy as regular peanut butter and has all the peanutty goodness...

*rushes off to make a PB&J sandwich*
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    to OP, like everyone else said (i didn't read all the posts), eat what you want, just not as much or as often. I am always paying attention to my body's signals for needs and wants and when it has had enough. i don't deny myself any food or drink. i just eat and drink less of the foods that aren't going to help me be healthy.

IMHO, if i have to give up the foods i love permanently in order to be SKINNY, i would rather be fat and happy. there is no way in h*** that anyone is going to tell me i can't ever have the foods i like, or tell me i HAVE to be skinny for everyone to like me. my DH is a wonderful, supportive man who wants me to be healthy, but not at the expense of being happy and able to live my life. my mother has been on some wacked out diet since she was 18 yrs old and she looks anorexic because of what she doesn't eat and too much exercising.

no thank you, i would rather be fat and happy, then skinny and miserable.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    That's not the issue here though, the issue is she has an unreasonable calorie goal.

I didn't see anything in the OP's post about calorie goals, only the kinds of food she misses.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    Well then you need to work on your relationship with food, because you are always going to be around it. If you can't improve that then how do you plan on maintaining?

Honestly, I don't think I'll be able to. I never have been able to. I lost 30 pounds between June and November of last year but between November and today I have gained back 21. I just don't have the willpower to sustain it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    That's not the issue here though, the issue is she has an unreasonable calorie goal.

I didn't see anything in the OP's post about calorie goals, only the kinds of food she misses.
    Her last thread (which was removed by mods) said she was eating 800 calories a day. All her threads have been like this. 800 calories... Detoxes.... quick fix, quick fix, quick fix.
  • maillemaker
    Options

I personally find it takes more willpower to exercise off a calorie than to not eat it in the first place.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    ^This. Sometimes it is worth it to endulge yourself and remember that it is extremely difficult to undue all of your hard work with one or two days of treating yourself to what you love to eat.

The problem with this mentality is that one or two days of treating yourself easily turns into one or two months of treating yourself. It's the same reason why an alcoholic can never have "just one drink" even long after the chemical addiction is over.

Giving in to treats is playing with fire. It takes more willpower to stop good feeling stimuli than to not start it to begin with.
  • mhannan13
    Options
    ^This. Sometimes it is worth it to endulge yourself and remember that it is extremely difficult to undue all of your hard work with one or two days of treating yourself to what you love to eat.

The problem with this mentality is that one or two days of treating yourself easily turns into one or two months of treating yourself. It's the same reason why an alcoholic can never have "just one drink" even long after the chemical addiction is over.

Giving in to treats is playing with fire. It takes more willpower to stop good feeling stimuli than to not start it to begin with.

Exactly...and in my opinion that IS self-control.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    What they need to do is learn moderation and self-control.

Why don't they do this with alcoholics?
  • maillemaker
    Options

Here is what that kind of self-control looks like for me:

http://i.imgur.com/ijSkLog.jpg
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Because alcohol is a psychoactive drug that induces a physical chemical dependence.

"Food that tastes really good" does not form a physical dependence and is not psychoactive.
  • mhannan13
    Options

Because alcohol is a psychoactive drug that induces a physical chemical dependence.

"Food that tastes really good" does not form a physical dependence and is not psychoactive.

Actually sugar and white flour can have addictive properties. That is why overeaters anonymous exists, just like alcoholics anonymous.
  • mhannan13
    Options

Here is what that kind of self-control looks like for me:

http://i.imgur.com/ijSkLog.jpg

No, I'm saying that knowing what foods you cannot enjoy in moderation and no indulging in them IS self-control.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Actually sugar and white flour can have addictive properties. That is why overeaters anonymous exists, just like alcoholics anonymous.

God we have that debate at least 2-3 times a week here. Sugar is not addictive, as it does not cause a physical dependence and no one resorts to eating pure sugar. Hyperpalatable foods, which almost invariably consist of certain combinations of sugar and fat (and sometimes salt) cause people control issues, but the science and psychology professionals generally agree that this is not an addiction. Some people have food addictions, but not sugar ones.
  • mirms82
    Options
    I still love too have a couple glassez of wine just fit it into my calories for the day and at least burn 500 calories that day
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I meant to quote that. And I went and got the blood work and resting metabolic rate test done at a gym, and my metabolism is very low. According to most charts i should have rmr of about 1394, but mine is 1167. So to actually loose without spending two hours in the gym every day, I was told to eat a thousand calories a day by a nutritionist. That makes a lot of salads with minimal dressings, vegetable soups, and yogurts. So, I basically eat salads, soups, steamed veggies and yogurt. Sometimes a veggie sausage patty, usually a string cheese. Lots of fruit.

And my mom is physically active, sleeps enough, and never ever ever gets sick. I also don't think shes ate anything processed, or non free range/organic/locally farmed in years.

I know this has been pointed out, but I want to emphasize it... EAT MORE THAN YOUR RMR.

Your Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) is just that, resting. That's how many calories you'd need to eat to maintain weight while simply resting. But, I would wager, you get up once in a while, walk around, fix dinner... all that takes extra calories. Plus the stuff you burn when in the gym. RMR plus that other stuff adds up to your TDEE, or Total Daily Energy Expenditure. And it will be more than your RMR.

To lose weight, eat more than your RMR, but less than your TDEE.

I don't know why the nutritionist told you to only eat 1,000, but it seems criminally low to me. Plus, more calories means you'll have some room for treats, and still lose weight. Win-win!