I miss food

Options

Replies

• PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options

This, OP, this. The woman who wrote this thread is a hero. And she's right.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I Love food but while on a detox I have to limit my choices. However any other week is fine to have what you want in moderation. Live Life!
    :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

why don't you love food when not on a detox?
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Crap now I have to give up my baked potato with greek style sour cream and salsa on it that I have almost daily :grumble:

That sounds AMAZING. Where is the drooling smiley?
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Try PB2, 100 calorie packs of almonds, & egg whites for your scrambled eggs. Half the things you say you miss are things that are in my everyday diet, & I have no issue staying under my calorie goal.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I meant to quote that. And I went and got the blood work and resting metabolic rate test done at a gym, and my metabolism is very low. According to most charts i should have rmr of about 1394, but mine is 1167. So to actually loose without spending two hours in the gym every day, I was told to eat a thousand calories a day by a nutritionist. That makes a lot of salads with minimal dressings, vegetable soups, and yogurts. So, I basically eat salads, soups, steamed veggies and yogurt. Sometimes a veggie sausage patty, usually a string cheese. Lots of fruit.

And my mom is physically active, sleeps enough, and never ever ever gets sick. I also don't think shes ate anything processed, or non free range/organic/locally farmed in years.

I am 66, have Lupus and am barely five feet tall and eat 1200 calories. To be honest, most days I eat somewhat less and in order to get to 1200 I usually have to eat something extra in the form of a treat.
    If you look at my diary you will see that I eat just about anything ( but must admit that it is mostly whole food ) and almost nothing of the things you mention. If I would have left out the brioche bread ( baked with butter and eggs ) and the raw sugar coconut treat today I would have eaten 1000 calories today which included three sopes ( thick corn tortillas ) with refried beans, chicken, lettuce, cheese, salsa and cream as well as a decent size portion of Chile Poblano strips with potatoes , onions and cream, three corn tortillas and a 3.5 cup salad. With all due respect; if you live of salads, soups, steamed veggies and yogurt it is because you want to and not because there is nothing more interesting to eat.
    Again with much respect; you are either very stubborn when it comes to your diet, or you have a not-so-healthy relationship with food....either needs some attention.
    Good Luck !
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

This, OP, this. The woman who wrote this thread is a hero. And she's right.

:embarassed: :embarassed:
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I agree - everything in moderation!
    I've cut out Sweetened/Flavored drinks - though I miss them terribly - I limit myself to 1-2 glasses of tea a week (sodas were eliminated almost a year ago)...

Everything in moderation!
    Except sweetened drinks and soda, apparently... :wink:
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    In time you will learn to savor and enjoy these items in moderation and no longer need to gorge on them to feel satisfied.

This. For a while I wondered how the hell anyone uses less than a tablespoon of butter/ounce of cheese/etc. Steadily cutting back to normal amounts of food eventually stops feeling like deprivation.

(Though I ate two potatoes with dinner, so, you know. Some days you just leave room for two potatoes worth of mashed potatoes. :D)
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    [quote/]

^This. Sometimes it is worth it to endulge yourself and remember that it is extremely difficult to undue all of your hard work with one or two days of treating yourself to what you love to eat.

[quote/]

Under ideal circumstances I would 150% agree with you. However, how many people can really do that, let's say once a month ?
    I know of many people here in MFP ( and even on my FL) who make exactly that argument five times a week and then wonder why they don't lose any weight.
    Many of us are here, because we are unable to practice moderation and lived each day as a " treat " day. We can't expect that by the mere fact of being a MFP member that all of sudden the majority of us can practice something we were never able to do . I often get pissed off at the constant " moderation " mantras, that while in theory true, in practice are difficult to handle.
    I got mostly fat , because I fell in love with rice, while living for almost 20 years in Asia. Returning to a western lifestyle I kept on eating rice ( easily 3-5 cups a day ....and no there is no way I can I would want to make them fit into my calories being just 5 feet tall.....) and that paired with western side dishes made me fat. And no, I cannot as a rule just eat .5 cup of rice....so I avoid it all together , or I have until a month ago. I now eat rice on occasion, but feel that I am on a very slippery slope, telling myself that I actually could work in a cup of rice into my calories every day.....and maybe next month two cups, because you know, I deserve an occasional/daily treat and in six month I would have to start all over again.
    You are right we cannot undo all our hard work with the occasional day or two of " treating " ourselves ( of course the question arises of how good is our new " lifestyle " that in order to feel happy we have revert to what usually amounts to junk, because that is what most people miss, in unhealthy amounts ? )....but honestly, how many people do you know who can stick to that for a lifetime, especially once they reach their goals ?
    This means for many of us it's total avoidance of certain foods and I only wish the general MFP population would be more accepting of that, because after all we are all different.....and we all have to find our way.....all stuff I learned here, but find is not practiced as often as it is preached.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    In time you will learn to savor and enjoy these items in moderation and no longer need to gorge on them to feel satisfied.

This. For a while I wondered how the hell anyone uses less than a tablespoon of butter/ounce of cheese/etc. Steadily cutting back to normal amounts of food eventually stops feeling like deprivation.

(Though I ate two potatoes with dinner, so, you know. Some days you just leave room for two potatoes worth of mashed potatoes. :D)

I recall being frustrated having to think about food all the time when I first started and was recalibrating my portion expectations. That's temporary though as you learn what containers to use and what things look like. Soon it becomes automatic to select the right amount.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Under ideal circumstances I would 150% agree with you. However, how many people can really do that, let's say once a month ?
    I know of many people here in MFP ( and even on my FL) who make exactly that argument five times a week and then wonder why they don't lose any weight.
    Many of us are here, because we are unable to practice moderation and lived each day as a " treat " day. We can't expect that by the mere fact of being a MFP member that all of sudden the majority of us can practice something we were never able to do . I often get pissed off at the constant " moderation " mantras, that while in theory true, in practice are difficult to handle.
    I got mostly fat , because I fell in love with rice, while living for almost 20 years in Asia. Returning to a western lifestyle I kept on eating rice ( easily 3-5 cups a day ....and no there is no way I can I would want to make them fit into my calories being just 5 feet tall.....) and that paired with western side dishes made me fat. And no, I cannot as a rule just eat .5 cup of rice....so I avoid it all together , or I have until a month ago. I now eat rice on occasion, but feel that I am on a very slippery slope, telling myself that I actually could work in a cup of rice into my calories every day.....and maybe next month two cups, because you know, I deserve an occasional/daily treat and in six month I would have to start all over again.
    You are right we cannot undo all our hard work with the occasional day or two of " treating " ourselves ( of course the question arises of how good is our new " lifestyle " that in order to feel happy we have revert to what usually amounts to junk, because that is what most people miss, in unhealthy amounts ? )....but honestly, how many people do you know who can stick to that for a lifetime, especially once they reach their goals ?
    This means for many of us it's total avoidance of certain foods and I only wish the general MFP population would be more accepting of that, because after all we are all different.....and we all have to find our way.....all stuff I learned here, but find is not practiced as often as it is preached.

I can understand your point. However I lived on birthday cake most of Sunday (I bake awesome cakes) and haven't eaten any since the one slice I had on Monday. My husband and kids need to finish it off: I'm done with it. I probably went over my calories last weekend, but I live an active lifestyle and it's a blip, not a habitual indulgence.

I'm actually planning on gaining for three months so I can add muscle. That's going to be really interesting. I'm a little hesitant - planning to gain weight seems strange - but I know I have the ability to lose fat again when I choose to. I also don't seriously believe that I'm never going to be in the position of having to lose 5 pounds again. I'm going to get sick or injured. I'll have family emergencies. So why should I sweat the remote possibility that an extra slice of cake will mean two slices next month?
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I love my food too much to simply just "stop". If I really want to eat something (not because it's a craving or I'm bored) I'll wiggle it into my diary. The other day it was my coworkers birthday so I had a small slice of cake. I'm not in to making myself miserable. If it means having a small or no lunch to have a bigger more delicious dinner then I'll go for it.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I hope after reading the replies you decided to eat again OP
  • Yilsip
    Yilsip Posts: 50
    Options
    Please quit the gym membership and nutritionist and seek therapy. This post made me so darn depressed; I cannot believe anyone would live like this, it is agonizing to not give yourself a balanced diet because you fear going over calories, binging, or craving 'bad foods'. I do not know you so cannot speculate where your issues with food stem from, but you should really invest in finding out and fixing it. You deserve a normal relationship with food.
  • girldownsouth
    girldownsouth Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    First of all, as a couple of other people have said, nobody should be trying to fill up on ice cream. Fill up on fruit, veg, rice, pasta, grains, lean protein, then have your ice cream, crisps, chocolate. It's much more satisfying as a treat if you've had a healthy, filling meal beforehand.

Other treats, such as pizza, I think can very easily be fitted in. I think I have pizza weekly. We either buy something like a pizza express or one of the quality supermarket own brand ones (I'm in the UK, so might be different in the US and other countries) but these tend to come in at only about 300 kcal for half a pizza, so I share it with the boyf, or when I lived alone cut it in half before cooking and stick half in the freezer, and have salad on the side, and maybe some garlic bread /doughballs if I have calories spare. We never get low fat/kcal pizza, just great ones that have thin bases and use quality cheese sparingly. We also quite often make our own using the same principles. I don't think pizza is actually junk food, it can be healthy and nutritious. Burgers likewise, if you buy or make great ones with good meat and grill them. And have plenty of salad and make your own oven baked spiced potato/sweet potato wedges on the side, just slice potato into wedges, par boil, then toss in a little oil, herbs and spices then bake in the oven for about half an hour. So easy, and really tasty. Or I love Mexican food, so we fill wraps with spicy chicken, loads of salad, maybe some sweetcorn, beans or avocado. Really fresh and colourful, healthy and delicious. We always have a healthy treat meal like one of these on a Friday.

And chickpeas out of a can. I have a can in the cupboard. It's 302 kcal. Just eat the entire can for lunch if that's what floats your boat! Perfectly reasonable kcal lunch even on a 1000kcal diet (which I feel similarly to the others about, but feel plenty has already been said), and actually, chickpeas and other beans and pulses are little nutritional powerhouses, so it would actually be a pretty balanced, if a little boring, lunch.
  • mhannan13
    Options
    yep. That's how my mom does it. If you like eating it. DO NOT EAT IT. My parents simply never buy chips, sweets, cheese, nuts, etc. My dad jokes that they live on baked fish, kale and dust. My mom says you loose the cravings completely after 6-9 months if you never give in.

I don't get this at all. Why such an all-or-nothing approach to food? IMO, that's an unhealthy way of eating and a sure fire way to set yourself up for failure.

Eat what you want, in moderation. Or lift some heavy stuff and eat a lot of it, like me.

Some people need a more all-or-nothing approach. I know for me, once I have a little splurge it is REALLY hard not to throw the whole day/week/month away. For those of us that may have mild food addictions or binge eating disorders we are not good at "moderation". That's why we're here in the first place. lol
    Everyone needs to recognize what works for them, and it's okay to miss certain foods. And it is okay to have them in moderation. You just have to find your happy place!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Some people need a more all-or-nothing approach. I know for me, once I have a little splurge it is REALLY hard not to throw the whole day/week/month away. For those of us that may have mild food addictions or binge eating disorders we are not good at "moderation". That's why we're here in the first place. lol
    Everyone needs to recognize what works for them, and it's okay to miss certain foods. And it is okay to have them in moderation. You just have to find your happy place!

What those people need is not an all-or-nothing approach.

What they need to do is learn moderation and self-control.
  • MariaCPerry
    Options
    When I miss certain foods, I have them. But whereas I use to have the whole pack of Almonds or Lindor balls (chocolate) , now I have a few, just to take the craving away. If you each the wrong stuff then burn it off with exercise. Run up and down stairs 10 times ( it will make you feel less guilty about eating them :-) )

I tend to only miss food when I am not busy, or when I am watching TV.
    My suggesiton to you would be get up and get active when you feel you are missing food :-)

Good luck, stick with it, it pays off!!
    MP
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

And for some of us, that applies only to a tiny group of foods. I find that there are certain foods I PREFER not to eat because it's easier than trying to moderate them. It's what works FOR ME. Of course to some, this means I need to "learn self control". Ironically, choosing not to eat them, or eat them very very very rarely IS self control.
    There are many correct approaches. We each need to find what works for us.
    For me this is a TINY subset of foods. I don't ban them forever, but I eat them very very very rarely.

Now, that said, the OP has been posting thread after thread of "quick fix" ideas. She hasn't posted anything suggesting moderation, eating a a reasonable deficit or any other such thing. She's asked about detoxes, VLCDs and every other fad.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Too high in calories. I want to eat more than one time a day, and my exercise burns are too low on weekdays. Eating those knocks me over my calorie limit .

How do you plan on learning moderation?

Don't believe she plans to. Restriction. Forever. Like her parents.
    And yet, her profile says she's 39. Odd that she'd be bound to what her parents do at her age.