I miss food

Options

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    It's nearly impossible to gain "several kgs" of fat in 3 weeks.

I ate a lot and gained weight. Unfortunately that's all I know.
    Anyway... it's the OP's thread, I don't feel like messing around. I just commented because I've had a different experience from most of the other users and I thought it could have been useful to express it.

Much of it, if not all of it, could have been water retention. I retain water for somewhere between 2-3 weeks after the holidays, or even one or two days of eating at American Thanksgiving. That could be you.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You do not have to make yourself unhappy to lose weight, you really don't. This strange obsession people seem to have with food based punishment (denying themselves things to th point of unhappiness) really really blows my mind. Why do you feel you have to suffer?

I would suggest a therapist. (For both the OP and that chick who apparently can't eat to satisfaction without gaining weight.)

Thank you. I would like to know why would I need a therapist (if I'm still hungry I might need a dietician/nutritionist/doctor whatever, don't you think?)

It would go to what I asked you earlier that you didn't answer: what do you mean by "not filling" earlier?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    According to most charts i should have rmr of about 1394, but mine is 1167. So to actually loose without spending two hours in the gym every day, I was told to eat a thousand calories a day by a nutritionist.
    So rather than working to get your numbers up to where they should be, the nutritionist recommends eating lower cals (which I'm guessing it may be why your metabolism may be off in the first place?) and continuing the same downward spiral? :huh:

If I were you, I'd be doing everything I could to get my RMR/BMR whatever it is higher than 1167. Keep eating low cals like this, and your body will adjust accordingly, slowing your metabolism to match the low intake, and requiring a lower and lower amount of food to make the scale go down.

Oh, you are SUCH a party pooper. Why would anyone ever want to actually be able to EAT MORE??????

giphy.gif
    17.gif
    :drinker:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    It's nearly impossible to gain "several kgs" of fat in 3 weeks.

I ate a lot and gained weight. Unfortunately that's all I know.
    Anyway... it's the OP's thread, I don't feel like messing around. I just commented because I've had a different experience from most of the other users and I thought it could have been useful to express it.

Much of it, if not all of it, could have been water retention. I retain water for somewhere between 2-3 weeks after the holidays, or even one or two days of eating at American Thanksgiving. That could be you.

for me .. Water retention .. replenishing glycogen stores .. 3 lbs of "real" weight ... couple other minor factors ...
  • mochamommy
    mochamommy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    So according to charts the foods I'm craving mean I need more protein, omega3/6 and calories. Right now I would kill for an omelet with avocado.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    chipote hummus

Oooh, was it the Trader Joe one? I friggin love their Chipotle Hummus!!

yes it was! SOOO GOOD and it was awesome with my eggs this morning. just a tablespoon spread on a flour tortilla and 2 eggs. OH SO GOOD!

You know what else? I like to mix it with either tuna or cottage cheese and put it right in the middle of an avocado half. Squeeze of lime and a little extra hot sauce on top. Mmm.

oh i MUST try this with cottage cheese. i don't eat tuna. oh yum!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    So according to charts the foods I'm craving mean I need more protein, omega3/6 and calories. Right now I would kill for an omelet with avocado.
    Eat an omelet with avocado? Several people have suggested that your daily intake is too low. You are cutting out more foods than you need to. Eat enough to fuel your body and your workouts.
  • ingraha
    ingraha Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Sometimes there is a deeper need and we are satisfying other kinds of cravings with food. One who is never satisfied however much they eat has issues with every area of life.
  • sullus
    Options
    OP - I guess what I'm really getting at is; if you are determined to eat more food and an amount that is sustainable and satisfying for life, you're going to have to start by eating more food, and making it food you WANT to eat. You WILL take a hit on the scale. Not all of it will be true weight gain. Stop thinking in such granular terms about your weight. Day to day weights are essentially meaningless. It's the long term trend that matters. Heck I can gain 5 lbs just by having chinese takeout for lunch .. and it's gone again in 2 days. That's not actual weight gain or loss. So ignore the scale. Or weigh in 2x a day, but understand what that number's movement actually means. Use a reputable calculator to find your TDEE, subtract 20-ish percent, and stick to that calorie goal on an average day. Go over form time to time. Go under from time to time. It doesn't matter. a day won't make or break you.

IIFYM, Paleo, Primal, Vegetarian, Clean Eating, Vegan, Low Carb, Low Sugar ... doesn't matter which you choose. If you stick to what's in the paragraph above, it will work long-term.
  • sullus
    Options

Have one for crying out loud. Put bacon in it too.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    SMH. Some people just want to be miserable.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    so eat them ...just make sure you maintain your calorie deficit and hit your daily goals...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    yep. That's how my mom does it. If you like eating it. DO NOT EAT IT. My parents simply never buy chips, sweets, cheese, nuts, etc. My dad jokes that they live on baked fish, kale and dust. My mom says you loose the cravings completely after 6-9 months if you never give in.

sounds like a long term path to misery...
  • mochamommy
    mochamommy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    And how do you raise your metobloism. I lift weights. What else.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

So go eat an omelette with avocado! It's good for you
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Have them then. There's no reason you can't eat these things in moderation

The key word here being "moderation". It's like telling someone with a gambling problem it's OK to just play one game.

For some of us, once we give in to eat the tempting foods we can't eat them in moderation.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

The key word here being "moderation". It's like telling someone with a gambling problem it's OK to just play one game.

For some of us, once we give in to eat the tempting foods we can't eat them in moderation.

That's not the issue here though, the issue is she has an unreasonable calorie goal.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Well then you need to work on your relationship with food, because you are always going to be around it. If you can't improve that then how do you plan on maintaining?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    yep. That's how my mom does it. If you like eating it. DO NOT EAT IT. My parents simply never buy chips, sweets, cheese, nuts, etc. My dad jokes that they live on baked fish, kale and dust. My mom says you loose the cravings completely after 6-9 months if you never give in.

Wow, the above is sad. Not the getting rid of junk food but only eating foods one does not enjoy! Stop it. I actually like kale (I drown them in healthy fat, sea salt and bake them into chips), but I don't have a low fat diet because it's not healthy, doesn't taste good, and is a complete FAIL.

Personally, I no longer miss the foods that made me fat and sick though. But my new way of eating is nourishing AND delicious.

Imo there are 2 choices:

1. Eat the foods you miss and stop missing them. If you can moderate them, then terrific for you (I couldn't).
    2. Fall in love with new foods that make you feel awesome and not fat and then, over time, one eventually doesn't miss the junk. (This doesn't mean you can NEVER have something, it just means rarely. My rare treat is popcorn-the butter is not the issue but the corn is)
  • missbirrell
    Options
    I don't miss anything because if I want something, I'll factor it in somehow. Not as often as I used to, but sometimes. Pizza is my favourite, favourite food and I can have it if I want, providing it's not all the time. I also switched from takeaway pizza to home cooked because that's few cals.