• 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I've read this whole doggone thread and now Im hungry as hell :laugh:

chips.gif
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Because alcohol is a psychoactive drug that induces a physical chemical dependence.

"Food that tastes really good" does not form a physical dependence and is not psychoactive.

But they say ex-alcoholics are only one drink away from being an alcoholic again even long after the physical chemical dependence is over. Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic. It's because the psychological component of the addiction persists even after the chemical component is licked.
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    This whole thread just makes me sad...so much unnecessary food avoidance and such unwillingness to even attempt to learn portion control and moderation...yes...these things are learned. I foresee tough sledding in the future...especially maintenance.

I'm convinced people avoid foods just so they can say they a suffering and too show how hard their diet is. In reality it needn't be. It's a bit of one upmanship. I lost this weight by eating balsa wood it was so hard. then someone will say I lost weight by ingesting tape worms see how hard I had it. Then when they cant keep up permanently they put all the weight back on and can start the cycle again

It's the same mindeset that lead people to try and make losing weight so complicated by other methods. So sad really. Anyway I'm going to go off and eat my Stirfry and enjoy my pudding baked bananas with Chocolate sauce and Ice cream

WOW. i am SO relieved that someone else said what i was thinking.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    Sugar is not addictive, as it does not cause a physical dependence and no one resorts to eating pure sugar.

Please note that there are addictions that have no physical dependence. Like gambling.
    Hyperpalatable foods, which almost invariably consist of certain combinations of sugar and fat (and sometimes salt) cause people control issues, but the science and psychology professionals generally agree that this is not an addiction.

It is my impression that his is changing. Binge eating is now listed in the DSM-V:

"Binge eating disorder is defined as recurring episodes of eating significantly more food in a short period
    of time than most people would eat under similar circumstances, with episodes marked by feelings of
    lack of control.
    Someone with binge eating disorder may eat too quickly, even when he or she is not
    hungry. The person may have feelings of guilt, embarrassment, or disgust and may binge eat alone
    to hide the behavior. This disorder is associated with marked distress and occurs, on average, at least
    once a week over three months."

There is a growing recognition that eating can trigger the same pleasure circuitry as other addictive behaviors.

This is a good article that sums up the current ideas on food addiction from a few PhDs from the European College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ECNP) Congress:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/812650#1

Here is a good quote:

""Food consumption, unlike alcohol, cocaine, or gambling or Internet gaming behaviors, is necessary for survival. But we don't completely understand why certain vulnerable individuals become addicted, transferring something rewarding to becoming addicted to it. For drugs, it's much easier to separate what's going on," said Dr. ****son.

"We had to ask if the evidence supports food addiction for more than a small proportion of the population," added Dr. ****son.

"But I have to say that in man, there is no solid evidence that any food, ingredient, combination of ingredients, or additive (with the exception of caffeine) causes us to become addicted to it. That is different from drugs, which we know engage the brain and cause us to become addicted to them," she explained.

"Still, if we move away from food and concentrate on the individual, we can see that certain obese individuals express addictionlike behaviors."

"Looking at the brain response to anticipating or receiving a chocolate milk shake, they found some evidence that those patients who had a high food addiction scale rating had different responses to the drink than did those who had a low rating. But where are the cutoffs if we are going to use fMRI to help us?" she asked.

"I think increased research into BED and food addiction is needed, and it will facilitate new diagnosis and therapeutic advances for obesity prevention and treatment," she concluded. "

To me, personal experiences aside, it seems very reasonable that if people can binge eat due to compulsive lack of control, then they can merely overeat for the same reason. I can sit down and eat 1600 calories of ice cream without feeling uncomfortably full, but I've still lost control over what I'm eating and I've still blown my calorie intake.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    This whole thread just makes me sad...so much unnecessary food avoidance and such unwillingness to even attempt to learn portion control and moderation...yes...these things are learned. I foresee tough sledding in the future...especially maintenance.

I'm convinced people avoid foods just so they can say they a suffering and too show how hard their diet is. In reality it needn't be. It's a bit of one upmanship. I lost this weight by eating balsa wood it was so hard. then someone will say I lost weight by ingesting tape worms see how hard I had it. Then when they cant keep up permanently they put all the weight back on and can start the cycle again

It's the same mindeset that lead people to try and make losing weight so complicated by other methods. So sad really. Anyway I'm going to go off and eat my Stirfry and enjoy my pudding baked bananas with Chocolate sauce and Ice cream

WOW. i am SO relieved that someone else said what i was thinking.
    I don't feel that way. I haven't walked a mile in anyone else's shoes, so I can't speak to their relationship with food.

And as others have pointed out, there are many compulsions and addictions besides alcohol and drugs.
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    So according to charts the foods I'm craving mean I need more protein, omega3/6 and calories. Right now I would kill for an omelet with avocado.

THEN EAT IT!!!!!!!!!!! Dang, eat what your body craves.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not addictive, as it does not cause a physical dependence and no one resorts to eating pure sugar.

Please note that there are addictions that have no physical dependence. Like gambling.
    Hyperpalatable foods, which almost invariably consist of certain combinations of sugar and fat (and sometimes salt) cause people control issues, but the science and psychology professionals generally agree that this is not an addiction.

It is my impression that his is changing. Binge eating is now listed in the DSM-V:

"Binge eating disorder is defined as recurring episodes of eating significantly more food in a short period
    of time than most people would eat under similar circumstances, with episodes marked by feelings of
    lack of control.
    Someone with binge eating disorder may eat too quickly, even when he or she is not
    hungry. The person may have feelings of guilt, embarrassment, or disgust and may binge eat alone
    to hide the behavior. This disorder is associated with marked distress and occurs, on average, at least
    once a week over three months."

There is a growing recognition that eating can trigger the same pleasure circuitry as other addictive behaviors.

This is a good article that sums up the current ideas on food addiction from a few PhDs from the European College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ECNP) Congress:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/812650#1

Here is a good quote:

""Food consumption, unlike alcohol, cocaine, or gambling or Internet gaming behaviors, is necessary for survival. But we don't completely understand why certain vulnerable individuals become addicted, transferring something rewarding to becoming addicted to it. For drugs, it's much easier to separate what's going on," said Dr. ****son.

"We had to ask if the evidence supports food addiction for more than a small proportion of the population," added Dr. ****son.

"But I have to say that in man, there is no solid evidence that any food, ingredient, combination of ingredients, or additive (with the exception of caffeine) causes us to become addicted to it. That is different from drugs, which we know engage the brain and cause us to become addicted to them," she explained.

"Still, if we move away from food and concentrate on the individual, we can see that certain obese individuals express addictionlike behaviors."

"Looking at the brain response to anticipating or receiving a chocolate milk shake, they found some evidence that those patients who had a high food addiction scale rating had different responses to the drink than did those who had a low rating. But where are the cutoffs if we are going to use fMRI to help us?" she asked.

"I think increased research into BED and food addiction is needed, and it will facilitate new diagnosis and therapeutic advances for obesity prevention and treatment," she concluded. "

To me, personal experiences aside, it seems very reasonable that if people can binge eat due to compulsive lack of control, then they can merely overeat for the same reason. I can sit down and eat 1600 calories of ice cream without feeling uncomfortably full, but I've still lost control over what I'm eating and I've still blown my calorie intake.

Binge eating is not sugar addiction.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    You might not be able to have ALL of those things in one day or sitting and not break your calorie bank. But I see absolutely no reason why you couldn't have one of those things on a different day of the week.

Monday - larger breakfast

Tuesday - ice cream for desert

Wednesday - Chips and salsa as a snack

Ect...ect... Deprivation diets do not work, they set you up for failure.

Also get yourself some exercise, you are suppose to eat those calories on top of your current goal. Sometimes I workout just so I can eat more.

Deprivation is why I was never able to lose any weight before. Moderation is the key. You can still enjoy the things you like!

I like the above idea about having certain treats/snacks on a certain day. I may have to borrow that idea. :smile:
  • maillemaker
    Options
    Binge eating is not sugar addiction.

I did not say it was.
  • CookieEmporium
    CookieEmporium Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to read all the posts so I'm sorry if this is a repeat: I can understand why you wouldn't want to eat some of the foods, like chips. That's understandable especially if you absolutely cannot control yourself. But hummus? Chickpeas? Instead of a 2 TBS serving of hummus measure out 1/2 cup and log the calories. If you have portion control issues (I DO!), then think about buying smaller containers/bowls so they're more filled up, which may help you think you're having more than you are. I measure everything then put the containers back in the fridge before I eat because I'll just sit there and dip 40 baby carrots in an entire container of hummus if I don't. For me it's ALL about planning and measuring my food out, whether it's for a meal I'm about to eat right then or if it's the night before for the next day at work. It's the ONLY way I can keep any sort of potion control.

I'm really short (4'11") and don't have a lot of weight to lose (about 10 lbs), so I don't "get" a lot of calories unless I exercise. For instance, on the weekend if I want to indulge a little and have pizza, I go on a 6-mile hike to make up for it (I live in the Northeast and happen to love winter hiking, but I know it's not for everyone). As far as I'm concerned, if you can get your portions under control, it's A LOT healthier mentally and emotionally to allow oneself to have things like pizza (or whatever) once a week or so.

Just my opinion, but I've been where you are and it's miserable.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    That's understandable especially if you absolutely cannot control yourself. But hummus? Chickpeas?

Yeah, but who has self-control issues with hummus and chickpeas?
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I miss...chips and salsa. Chips and Guac. F lamming Cheetos. More than one dinky ounce of cheese. Potatoes with cheese and salsa and onions and peppers..a whole baked one. Ice cream. Cashews. Damn I really miss cashews. Nuts. Peanut butter. One spoon is pathetic. Hummus. Chick Peas out of the can. Cheese enchilada. Eggplant Parm. Garlic bread with cheese. Eggs with cheese, peppers, onions, diced potatoes and salsa scrambled. Hash browns.
    NOTHING wrong with Salsa, you can eat salsa just skip the chips
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I personally find it takes more willpower to exercise off a calorie than to not eat it in the first place.

The OP of that thread does NOT exercise for more calories/to burn off the things she eats, BTW.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I've read this whole doggone thread and now Im hungry as hell :laugh:

chips.gif

Yep...
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Well then you need to work on your relationship with food, because you are always going to be around it. If you can't improve that then how do you plan on maintaining?

Honestly, I don't think I'll be able to. I never have been able to. I lost 30 pounds between June and November of last year but between November and today I have gained back 21. I just don't have the willpower to sustain it.

You don't need willpower. You need habits. You might also need a paradigm shift in attitude toward yourself, how you look and how you define yourself. That's what a lot of the people who are successful on this site experience and that's what we try to communicate.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    What they need to do is learn moderation and self-control.

Why don't they do this with alcoholics?

A - you do need food for survival and it's harder to live without specific categories of food than it is to live without alcohol
    B - they do. http://www.soberforever.net/different-treatment.cfm
  • likitisplit
    Options

I personally find it takes more willpower to exercise off a calorie than to not eat it in the first place.

You don't always want to exercise off a calorie. Sometimes you want to turn that calorie into muscle.

Anyway, you should be indulging in an active lifestyle regardless. It'll make you feel better, be healthier and gain you more willpower even if you don't get to eat any more calories (I mean, a mile running is only 100 calories. A 5k is like an apple and a glass of chocolate milk). Once you are out there doing what you do, throwing a bit more intensity in after a heavy feed is not very hard at all.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    What they need to do is learn moderation and self-control.

Why don't they do this with alcoholics?

Because alcohol is a psychoactive drug that induces a physical chemical dependence.

"Food that tastes really good" does not form a physical dependence and is not psychoactive.

Actually sugar and white flour can have addictive properties. That is why overeaters anonymous exists, just like alcoholics anonymous.

God we have that debate at least 2-3 times a week here. Sugar is not addictive, as it does not cause a physical dependence and no one resorts to eating pure sugar. Hyperpalatable foods, which almost invariably consist of certain combinations of sugar and fat (and sometimes salt) cause people control issues, but the science and psychology professionals generally agree that this is not an addiction. Some people have food addictions, but not sugar ones.

How come nobody mentions arugula or masago when discussing addictions? I spent both pregnancies desperately craving sushi. I still swear that Rapunzel is another word for arugula.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    That's understandable especially if you absolutely cannot control yourself. But hummus? Chickpeas?

Yeah, but who has self-control issues with hummus and chickpeas?

:embarassed: I do.... That stuff is like crack to me. OM NOM NOM!!!!