I miss food

Options

Replies

• mochamommy
    mochamommy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    That's understandable especially if you absolutely cannot control yourself. But hummus? Chickpeas?

Yeah, but who has self-control issues with hummus and chickpeas?

:embarassed: I do.... That stuff is like crack to me. OM NOM NOM!!!!

Me, I want to eat the whole tub of hummus or can of chickpeas. I'm the same way with broadbeans in tomato sauce.
  • mochamommy
    mochamommy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Because alcohol is a psychoactive drug that induces a physical chemical dependence.

"Food that tastes really good" does not form a physical dependence and is not psychoactive.

But they say ex-alcoholics are only one drink away from being an alcoholic again even long after the physical chemical dependence is over. Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic. It's because the psychological component of the addiction persists even after the chemical component is licked.

Addictive personalities are addictive. Many people who have gone through rehab say that they are not "cured" but the addiction is transferred to a new item. Notice almost all people at an AA meeting are serious hard core chain smokers or coffee drinkers. Ex smokers chew packs and packs of gum. Many NA people are "sugar addicts" because the sugar rush triggers the same area of the brain as narcotics. Cocaine users are phased into working out.. so they become fanatical exercisers, chasing that endorphin rush. So, can addiction be cured or merely transferred to a new object.
  • PlumpKitten
    PlumpKitten Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If you want one, then have an omelet with avocado - protein and healthy fat. Put a green salad on the side if it makes you feel better.

Do as the French do. They eat real food and whatever they want, including butter, cheese, meat and chocolate. But they eat very small portions, don't snack between meals, and have much less fast or processed food than Americans.

Or do as the Asians do. They eat very light foods -- steamed lean protein, greens, some rice, broths -- but plenty in terms of volume.

Or eat at a deficit most of the time, and then go up to maintenance when you want a treat once or twice a week.

Really, it doesn't matter how you do it so long as you're burning more calories than you are eating.

If you really want one of the foods you list, then have two meals instead of three that day. When I want to splurge, I have a brunch type meal, and then dinner.

I also wonder what kind of nutritionist is giving you advice if you are eating tons of fruit, but feel bad putting a few eggs in there.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Because alcohol is a psychoactive drug that induces a physical chemical dependence.

"Food that tastes really good" does not form a physical dependence and is not psychoactive.

But they say ex-alcoholics are only one drink away from being an alcoholic again even long after the physical chemical dependence is over. Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic. It's because the psychological component of the addiction persists even after the chemical component is licked.

Addictive personalities are addictive. Many people who have gone through rehab say that they are not "cured" but the addiction is transferred to a new item. Notice almost all people at an AA meeting are serious hard core chain smokers or coffee drinkers. Ex smokers chew packs and packs of gum. Many NA people are "sugar addicts" because the sugar rush triggers the same area of the brain as narcotics. Cocaine users are phased into working out.. so they become fanatical exercisers, chasing that endorphin rush. So, can addiction be cured or merely transferred to a new object.

I was thinking in the car that this might be why so many successful people are fat - they are dopamine chasers. They seek out that "I'm about to get a payoff" feeling.
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Have them then. There's no reason you can't eat these things in moderation

This!! I think you can have them, why not??
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Have them then. There's no reason you can't eat these things in moderation

This!! I think you can have them, why not??

in my experience, when you deprive yourself of the food you love, you set yourself up for binging and or getting offtrack. You have to make lifestyle changes by incorporating moderation into everything. Have a couple bites of what you crave and log it.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I just miss food in large quantities. I want to eat three cookies! Or a big bowl of pasta. Or a couple huge waffles with butter and maple syrup. Pizza until I'm stuffed. A sandwich on a hunk of French bread. A cinnamon bun the size of a plate.

Clearly, what I really miss is crappy processed carbs. And I don't even intentionally eat low-carb! It's just that everything like that has so many calories.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I just miss food in large quantities. I want to eat three cookies! Or a big bowl of pasta. Or a couple huge waffles with butter and maple syrup. Pizza until I'm stuffed. A sandwich on a hunk of French bread. A cinnamon bun the size of a plate.

Clearly, what I really miss is crappy processed carbs. And I don't even intentionally eat low-carb! It's just that everything like that has so many calories.

Why? When you eat in moderation regularly, you get used to that amount of food, and you shouldn't want to stuff yourself with large amounts of food. If you take the time to enjoy what you do eat, you'll get a lot more satisfaction from it. How much enjoyment do you get from a cinnamon bun the size of a plate that stuffs your belly and makes you feel crappy, versus a small one that you eat slowly and take the time to really enjoy, and leaves you feeling wonderful?
    And if you really want to eat more, find ways to burn more calories so you can fit more calories into your day.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options

This is what is really behind successful low-carb dieting. It has morphed into a cult where people think there is something actually wrong with carbs. There isn't. But the problem is they are highly compelling to eat and they are very calorie dense in spite of not being very filling. I can consume my entire daily allotment of 1700 calories with two bowls of ice cream.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Why? When you eat in moderation regularly, you get used to that amount of food, and you shouldn't want to stuff yourself with large amounts of food.

Maybe for some people. Here is what happened to me after 5 months of eating to my MFP calorie limit and then not logging:

http://i.imgur.com/ijSkLog.jpg
  • mccindy72
    Options

This is what is really behind successful low-carb dieting. It has morphed into a cult where people think there is something actually wrong with carbs. There isn't. But the problem is they are highly compelling to eat and they are very calorie dense in spite of not being very filling. I can consume my entire daily allotment of 1700 calories with two bowls of ice cream.

Which is why you should weigh and measure all of your food. If you use a food scale to measure out a single serving of ice cream, it's only about 130-170 calories and you've got plenty of room in the rest of your day for other foods. And you still had your treat.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Why? When you eat in moderation regularly, you get used to that amount of food, and you shouldn't want to stuff yourself with large amounts of food.

Maybe for some people. Here is what happened to me after 5 months of eating to my MFP calorie limit and then not logging:

I'm at work and can't see your post, but I'd imagine the key words in your post are "NOT LOGGING".
  • peleroja
    Options

Why? When you eat in moderation regularly, you get used to that amount of food, and you shouldn't want to stuff yourself with large amounts of food. If you take the time to enjoy what you do eat, you'll get a lot more satisfaction from it. How much enjoyment do you get from a cinnamon bun the size of a plate that stuffs your belly and makes you feel crappy, versus a small one that you eat slowly and take the time to really enjoy, and leaves you feeling wonderful?
    And if you really want to eat more, find ways to burn more calories so you can fit more calories into your day.

Hi. Take a look at my ticker. I'm lower than my goal weight and under 120 pounds, and my highest weight was not even "overweight" (and I've maintained my loss for close to a year...) Clearly I understand that I can't have massive quantities of carbs. I don't know if I needed the moderation lecture on what was clearly a bit of a light-hearted post.

Obviously in my day-to-day life I do eat things like processed carbs in small quantities. But no, eating one cookie is sometimes NOT as satisfying as stuffing myself with them. And I can tell you that I do absolutely enjoy a gigantic cinnamon bun more than a small one- it doesn't leave me feeling crappy at all. Thanks for the preaching, but I really like food. And a little idle wishing for massive amounts of sugar and flour is just that- idle. On your high horse much?

And yeah, on the rare occasion I do eat half a loaf of bread, I work out more to compensate. That's kind of Diet 101. Jeez. I didn't realize that one silky post was going to bring the Diet Police down on my head.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Hi. Take a look at my ticker. I'm lower than my goal weight and under 120 pounds, and my highest weight was not even "overweight" (and I've maintained my loss for close to a year...) Clearly I understand that I can't have massive quantities of carbs. I don't know if I needed the moderation lecture on what was clearly a bit of a light-hearted post.

Obviously in my day-to-day life I do eat things like processed carbs in small quantities. But no, eating one cookie is sometimes NOT as satisfying as stuffing myself with them. And I can tell you that I do absolutely enjoy a gigantic cinnamon bun more than a small one- it doesn't leave me feeling crappy at all. Thanks for the preaching, but I really like food. And a little idle wishing for massive amounts of sugar and flour is just that- idle. On your high horse much?

And yeah, on the rare occasion I do eat half a loaf of bread, I work out more to compensate. That's kind of Diet 101. Jeez. I didn't realize that one silky post was going to bring the Diet Police down on my head.

So you completely agree with what I said, but I'm preaching from the back of a horse? Huh.
  • peleroja
    Options
    Nope, don't completely agree at all. You may notice the paragraph about how sometime moderation does NOT feel better than indulgence. That's clear disagreement.

The high horse part of the comment referred to your tone (all the "you'll feel so much better if you eat that small wonderful thing") and the implication that I needed to be told to exercise off excess calories. Come on now.
  • likitisplit
    Options

How hungry were you before meals? How hungry were you after you ate? Did you feel sated, full or stuffed? How hungry were you between meals? Were you eating at the same times/same quantities that you were when you were logging on MFP or were you using not logging as an excuse to eat the world?

I haven't logged since early October and I'm still dead on the weight I was then. I've been up and down a tad as I've run more or fewer miles, but I've been able to use my natural hunger cues to maintain and have used the information I learned while logging to make intelligent, adult choices about what to eat whether I cook at home, pack a lunch, or pick from a menu.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

So are you saying you stopped logging in March and then your weight started to go back up? Did you eat the same foods and not log them or did you eat different foods and not log them? I don't understand what that has to do with eating in moderation or not. You can choose to eat foods you like in moderation and log them, or choose to eat foods you like and not log them. I think what you are trying to say is that if you don't log it, then you are lacking in the self control to stop eating those foods you like. If that is what you are saying, then I think the answer is to keep logging. Not that you can't eat the foods you like. You just need to log them so you have some indicator of when to stop. It still comes down to calories in vs calories out, but logging provides you quantitative data of how many calories are coming in vs going out.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I'd like to see if an analogy will make this discussion clearer.

One of the things I enjoy doing is laying in bed for hours reading. I also love my job. My job does not involve laying on the bed reading. I actually wouldn't apply for a job like that. It would be boring. My job can be stressful, etc but I would do it for free. Even if I didn't love it, I need to support myself as an adult.

In the same way, I had many options for lunch. I chose foods that I enjoy while keeping my nutritional needs and hunger level in mind. There was ice cream available. I considered it but it didn't sound like lunch, and I had ice cream yesterday and don't need to make it a habit (because I'm an adult and can make rational choices). I would have enjoyed it, but I probably enjoyed the au gratin potatoes as much...and the green beans were delicious too.

When I say "you should eat what you want" I mean something similar to "you should enjoy your job"
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see if an analogy will make this discussion clearer.

One of the things I enjoy doing is laying in bed for hours reading. I also love my job. My job does not involve laying on the bed reading. I actually wouldn't apply for a job like that. It would be boring. My job can be stressful, etc but I would do it for free. Even if I didn't love it, I need to support myself as an adult.

In the same way, I had many options for lunch. I chose foods that I enjoy while keeping my nutritional needs and hunger level in mind. There was ice cream available. I considered it but it didn't sound like lunch, and I had ice cream yesterday and don't need to make it a habit (because I'm an adult and can make rational choices). I would have enjoyed it, but I probably enjoyed the au gratin potatoes as much...and the green beans were delicious too.

When I say "you should eat what you want" I mean something similar to "you should enjoy your job"

:love:
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options

I understand this! Sometimes savoring is not as satisfying as stuffing. But I see the solution being thanksgiving Christmas and birthdays. This adds up to 6times a year for me. I can't kill my diet by going crazy 6 days a year just like I can't lose weight fasting 6 days a year.

It works for me.