A question for the men...

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I was reading a style blog yesterday and it made me gag because there was a "gift guide for guys" (because y'know soooo many straight 20-40 year old men read ladies fashion blogs) and it had a bunch of jewelry ideas and mentioned "spend at least $75"

That's what I hate. Arbitrary minimums like that. The girl whose blog it was, is not a jewelry peddler either.

I also hate the idea that 2 dozen long stemmed roses > random assortment of other flowers.

That's exactly the sort of thing I'm not interested in. My husband luckily is on the same page as I am. For $75 he could buy me gorgeous roses from Aldi on a random Tuesday, a card, we could go out for sushi, and have money left for gas and probably a new lip gloss too. ;-)
  • The_Angry_Fish_Guy
    Options
    HALLMARK!
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I don't care about Valentine's Day either way. I don't like people who get super into it and I don't like people who endlessly gripe about it and call it Singles Awareness Day.

Honestly, if you wait for one single day a year to let your spouse or partner or whoever know that they're special to you, you're doing something wrong.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Hysterically- I kind of think it's a money grab- but I'm conditioned to expect things on holidays and events- BF spoils me dearly- but I think it's over rated- I don't care if he does anything special- but I know he will.

He actually bought me these amazing flowers for my birthday this week- and he was telling me he went to pick them up and they went to charge him double the cost.

and he flipped out- and they went- oh wait- that's next week's prices. Just kidding- I don't expect to see flowers next week- especially since I have these still lol

It's a money grabber- plain and simple. I do something nice- but I try to be home made and simple- especially since he doesn't like stuff- he likes the good old fashioned gifts ;) so I always make sure we have steaks and a good bottle of wine and a long night.

Easy- and fun. It's more important to me that stuff be done "just because" and when you want to- not because hallmark says so.
    Maybe I'm having a brain fart. What is March 14th?
    steak and a bj day. man's valentines day.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I just hope Hallmark doesn't ruin March 14th :drinker:

Steak and BJ day

How in the name of beautiful 8lb 6oz baby Jesus have i not heard of this?
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I just hope Hallmark doesn't ruin March 14th :drinker:

Steak and BJ day

How in the name of beautiful 8lb 6oz baby Jesus have i not heard of this?
    LOL
    I think it was created by the kind of guys who are pressured into spending way to much on diamond's or whatever on v day, so that they can at least get something back:drinker:
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I don't celebrate Valentine's Day, I celebrate International Quirkyalone Day:

International Quirkyalone Day is a do-it-yourself celebration of romance, friendship, and independent spirit. It's a celebration of all kinds of love: romantic, platonic, familial, and yes, self-love. International Quirkyalone Day is not anti-Valentine's Day. It's NOT a pity party for single people. It's an alternative--a feel-good alternative to the marketing barrage of Valentine's Day and an antidote to the silicone version of love presented in shows such as Hooking Up and The Bachelor.

Above all, IQD is a celebration of romance, freedom and individuality. It celebrates true romance (as opposed to the fake versions presented to us in reality dating shows), independence, creativity, friendship, and all kinds of love--including love for yourself.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Not a V-Day person here. A lot of the 'traditional' stuff isn't my bag -- I like my jewelry quirky, and I like to pick it out myself. I like flowers, but don't need them in the house dying and making a mess in the process. And I don't like most the typical big chocolate box things either. Hey, I'm cool with a special day if it's your thing, but the pressure that seems to go into V-day just seems super silly to me.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I was reading a style blog yesterday and it made me gag because there was a "gift guide for guys" (because y'know soooo many straight 20-40 year old men read ladies fashion blogs) and it had a bunch of jewelry ideas and mentioned "spend at least $75"

That's what I hate. Arbitrary minimums like that. The girl whose blog it was, is not a jewelry peddler either.

I also hate the idea that 2 dozen long stemmed roses > random assortment of other flowers.

That's exactly the sort of thing I'm not interested in. My husband luckily is on the same page as I am. For $75 he could buy me gorgeous roses from Aldi on a random Tuesday, a card, we could go out for sushi, and have money left for gas and probably a new lip gloss too. ;-)

I totally agree on the jewelry thing. It's like DeBeers telling men they have to spend 3 months salary on an engagement ring. I've already told my man that if he ever desires to propose, I am not interested in diamonds or other blingy nonsense. It's not me and I don't require it to marry him.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Ladies, you can answer too :smile:

Do you feel Valentines Day is just another money grabbing day ?

If it were up to you, would you prefer not getting anything for your SO, if you knew she wouldn't be upset?

A dozen roses any other time of year $60
    A dozen roses around Valentine's $150

Yes it's a scam, just like recycling and tipping the pizza delivery guy.

:huh: tipping the pizza guy is a scam? This is news to me.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    BTW, for anyone else like me who likes jewelry that isn't quite the norm and thinks 3x your monthly salary is a completely stupid price tag for engagement/wedding rings....I think that this is where we're going to buy our rings when we finally decide which ones we want. http://www.minterandrichterdesigns.com/ I like that they're slightly different and you can get them for a lot less than 'traditional' places, but they're obviously good quality. [we've been considering getting rings for about three years now, and I figure it shows great progress to have picked a place to buy one from four months ago...by next year, we may even have actual rings <g>]

Heck do a search on Etsy - so many great artists with stuff out there.

And hey, if you like the norm, good for you. Nothing wrong with that. I'm just so glad there are more options beyond diamonds and glittery bling that isn't me now.
  • obsidianwings
    Options

I totally agree on the jewelry thing. It's like DeBeers telling men they have to spend 3 months salary on an engagement ring. I've already told my man that if he ever desires to propose, I am not interested in diamonds or other blingy nonsense. It's not me and I don't require it to marry him.
    Yep. We decided not to get married in the end, but when we were thinking about it I made it clear I would be absolutely furious if he spent that much.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

If it were up to you, would you prefer not getting anything for your SO, if you knew she wouldn't be upset?

Yes sir!
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options

you question the tip for delivery, but completely accept recycling as a scam?
  • kevshebar
    Options
    Valentines Day - What's that??
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    BTW, for anyone else like me who likes jewelry that isn't quite the norm and thinks 3x your monthly salary is a completely stupid price tag for engagement/wedding rings....I think that this is where we're going to buy our rings when we finally decide which ones we want. http://www.minterandrichterdesigns.com/ I like that they're slightly different and you can get them for a lot less than 'traditional' places, but they're obviously good quality. [we've been considering getting rings for about three years now, and I figure it shows great progress to have picked a place to buy one from four months ago...by next year, we may even have actual rings <g>]

Heck do a search on Etsy - so many great artists with stuff out there.

And hey, if you like the norm, good for you. Nothing wrong with that. I'm just so glad there are more options beyond diamonds and glittery bling that isn't me now.

that's a great site thanks for sharing!

I already told mine if he bought me a white/clear diamond the answer was no.

I'm much more a black and red kind of girl- and I don't' care how much it is as long as it isn't cheap-costume looking jewelry- it's good quality and it fits ME. I'm pretty fussy about my stuff- and he knows it and wants me to be happy- I already have a pinterest list of rings so he can look through them whenever he wants for ideas- no pressure - we already talked about it and he said nope- having ideas is great- because I freaked out saying I didn't want him to think he needed to do it any time soon- I just saw them and thought they were beautiful.

since rings came up
    loving these
    http://blog.emitations.com/new-arrivals-black-rings/
    http://onyxdiamond.com/blog/2013/06/05/onyx-diamond-store-services/

I haven't ever shopped from GemVera*- but I love that they aren't traditional and you can kind of build your own. Good stuff.
  • obsidianwings
    Options

I recycle as much as possible because it's free, screw paying to chuck all my recycling in the rubbish.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options

It's more that I have heard people claim that about recycling and chose to ignore it. I don't even begin to understand the pizza delivery one. In some states, perhaps, they are already making a living wage. In most states, however, they rely on tips to make a living wage.
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Dumb Hallmark Holiday.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    The hubby and I have never celebrated Valentine's Day not even when we first started dating.