A question for the men...

Options
123457»

Replies

• sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    BTW, for anyone else like me who likes jewelry that isn't quite the norm and thinks 3x your monthly salary is a completely stupid price tag for engagement/wedding rings....I think that this is where we're going to buy our rings when we finally decide which ones we want. http://www.minterandrichterdesigns.com/ I like that they're slightly different and you can get them for a lot less than 'traditional' places, but they're obviously good quality. [we've been considering getting rings for about three years now, and I figure it shows great progress to have picked a place to buy one from four months ago...by next year, we may even have actual rings <g>]

Heck do a search on Etsy - so many great artists with stuff out there.

And hey, if you like the norm, good for you. Nothing wrong with that. I'm just so glad there are more options beyond diamonds and glittery bling that isn't me now.

Love those! I'm a dreamer and I have our bands picked out on Etsy. They are ebony with an inlaid bicycle brake cable. They are very "us" and only $200.

I think I got turned off of diamonds when it was my ex husband's way to make up for being absent all the time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    i always say this....if you can celebrate 420, you can celebrate valentine's day. DONE!
    I am failing to see how these two are related.

they are both holidays? ok, what about christmas? most people ARE NOT christian and they celebrate xmas. So, why not just suck it up and say 'Happy Vday' to someone. Our society has this total aversion to love. It is selfish. It doesn't need to be commercial. Make a dinner, do some kinky business, massage some feet, cuddle up to a movie. I am so tired of hearing all the vday hate, especially from people that think it is ok to have a holiday to smoke pot, to search for easter eggs, to remember our veterens even! If we can't have one day for love, why anything else, love holds the world together.

no aversion to love here...just an aversion to having some rando day in February where I'm supposed to express this love. Sorry...I do that throughout the year...I love my wife very much and we're always doing special stuff for each other. We don't needs some rando holiday in the middle of February for that.

Easter comes once a year...Christmas comes once of year...if love only comes once a year for year I am truly sad for you. It's a dumb hallmark holiday. I've also never heard of celebrating 420 as a holiday...but I am pushing 40...but yeah, that one seems pretty stupid to me too.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    i always say this....if you can celebrate 420, you can celebrate valentine's day. DONE!

they are both holidays? ok, what about christmas? most people ARE NOT christian and they celebrate xmas. So, why not just suck it up and say 'Happy Vday' to someone. Our society has this total aversion to love. It is selfish. It doesn't need to be commercial. Make a dinner, do some kinky business, massage some feet, cuddle up to a movie. I am so tired of hearing all the vday hate, especially from people that think it is ok to have a holiday to smoke pot, to search for easter eggs, to remember our veterens even! If we can't have one day for love, why anything else, love holds the world together.

no aversion to love here...just an aversion to having some rando day in February where I'm supposed to express this love. Sorry...I do that throughout the year...I love my wife very much and we're always doing special stuff for each other. We don't needs some rando holiday in the middle of February for that.

Easter comes once a year...Christmas comes once of year...if love only comes once a year for year I am truly sad for you. It's a dumb hallmark holiday. I've also never heard of celebrating 420 as a holiday...but I am pushing 40...but yeah, that one seems pretty stupid to me too.

this is FALSE. Vday can be different things, it is a day not to just express love which can happen anyday, but to CELEBRATE THAT LOVE EXISTS. Awesome day. All hail cupid.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    BTW, for anyone else like me who likes jewelry that isn't quite the norm and thinks 3x your monthly salary is a completely stupid price tag for engagement/wedding rings....I think that this is where we're going to buy our rings when we finally decide which ones we want. http://www.minterandrichterdesigns.com/ I like that they're slightly different and you can get them for a lot less than 'traditional' places, but they're obviously good quality. [we've been considering getting rings for about three years now, and I figure it shows great progress to have picked a place to buy one from four months ago...by next year, we may even have actual rings <g>]

Heck do a search on Etsy - so many great artists with stuff out there.

And hey, if you like the norm, good for you. Nothing wrong with that. I'm just so glad there are more options beyond diamonds and glittery bling that isn't me now.

My engagement ring is Sterling with a white topaz and celtic knots on either side. I think, $50 or $60 on QVC. Made in Ireland. I love it. The price has nothing to do with the love :heart:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

this is FALSE. Vday can be different things, it is a day not to just express love which can happen anyday, but to CELEBRATE THAT LOVE EXISTS. Awesome day. All hail cupid.

whatever, it's a lame marketing holiday...you don't even get the day off work...if you don't get the day off work it's not a real holiday.
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Any recognized holiday is commercialized, really. The stores want to sell you candy and costumes for Halloween, they have huge sales for Christmas shopping...hell, Black Friday is a day FOR shopping now. They use Labor Day, Veteran's Day and the Fourth of July to have car sales. While you feel the need to abolish Valentine's day, why not just get rid of every holiday?? I mean seriously, why do people have to make a simple holiday so freaking complicated? Forget about commercials and what you're "supposed" to do It's a day to celebrate love, and doesn't mean you don't show it the other 364 days of the year.
  • byustrongman
    byustrongman Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I told my wife when we were dating that I wasn't going to get her anything on Valentines. We could do things like go out to eat or whatever, but she'd never get jewelry or flowers or any of that crap for it.

Women who expect to be lauded with gifts once a year because of a stupid holiday are just terrible and I have zero respect for them.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    It's fine, but I don't feel the need to go overboard now that I'm married. Now, I simply appreciate the opportunity to spend some quiet time with her away from the kids and the dog, and the normal everyday routine.
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I don't like the expectation that you must buy your partner something or else you're just a selfish jerk. That said, I don't dislike the holiday. It's a nice chance to set time aside for someone you love.
  • Gemmz2014
    Options
    For the men who are saying that "women who expect gifts on Vday are selfish or terrible"... yada yada... I wasn't just referring to the women being acknowledged. I always got my spouse/ SO something as well (card, favorite candy).
  • Gemmz2014
    Options
    I just hope Hallmark doesn't ruin March 14th :drinker:

Maybe I'm having a brain fart. What is March 14th?
    Steak and BJ day

How in the name of beautiful 8lb 6oz baby Jesus have i not heard of this?

:laugh:
  • veruca25
    Options
    valentines day is like any other holiday

if u participate (which u should want to do if ur in love right?) u make the person ur with happy. that doesnt mean spending beyond ur means, if at all. it means doing something thoughtful, and could be free, just to show u care.

if u dont participate at all, ur a scrooge and im sure u wont have this problem much longer
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Hallmark Holiday, I never cared about it. I'd rather my significant other do something unexpected, rather than contrived.
  • Happy_10yr
    Happy_10yr Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Everyday with a SO is Valentine's Day!!

If they are special to you, let them know every chance you get :-)
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    valentines day is like any other holiday

if u participate (which u should want to do if ur in love right?) u make the person ur with happy. that doesnt mean spending beyond ur means, if at all. it means doing something thoughtful, and could be free, just to show u care.

if u dont participate at all, ur a scrooge and im sure u wont have this problem much longer
    Lmao!
    ok
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't want cards, gifts, flowers. I'd like dinner out at a good restaurant, but what I would REALLY love is a great time in bed. Period.