RMR Test Results- Very Very Surprised

Options
Background:

SW 11/01/2013 265lbs
12/31/2013 220lbs
CW 02/09/2014 217lbs

Dropped 40 plus in a couple of months. Stagnated/increased for a few weeks in January. Started working with a Body Builder/Nutrionalist 2 weeks ago. Started carb/calorie cycling and upping both. Weight loss resumed. After doing some research and reading here, I was concerned about slowed metabolism or metabolic damage. In order to lose the weight in the first couple of months, I was well below 1200 calories. Most days I was 700-900 calories and some days zero calories when I fasted, frequently. My estimated RMR was anywhere from 1800-2000 depending on the calculator used. So I had some pretty aggressive deficits and became concerned with a metabolic slowdown. Decided to get an RMR test to get more accurate RMR/BMR and TDEE numbers so I could re-assess and try to get off another 10-20lbs. Test came back today and I was expecting the bad news. I was shocked:

RMR was about 2300!

That is about 10%-25% HIGHER than the estimates. Chest and biceps are up and waist is down. So LBM is way up and fat is way down. I was gonna up the calories today to celebrate and take the weight off slower. Screw that! I am so jacked and pumped I am going to do a 36 hour fast and squeeze off a few more pounds and restrict calories this week to get off as much as possible. I find that whenever I fast, I set a new lower weight baseline that makes it easier to take the weight down. Another week of sacrifice aint no biggie. I can do another week of a couple grilled chicken caesar salads and water per day. Next week the Bodybuilder will come up with new higher numbers to cycle up the calories and carbs. I'm gonna guess he'll want to take up the low end and high end UP by 100-200 calories per day. Light at the end of the tunnel. Goal weight is in the single digits.

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Let me get this straight.

You estimated a rough TDEE/BMR. Decided to eat below these.

You then had your RMR professionally measured, discovered it was much higher than you anticipated, and are now going to eat even less than you were before.
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options

You then had your RMR professionally measured, discovered it was much higher than you anticipated, and are now going to eat even less than you were before.

Yep, for this week. I would like to get 2-4 more lbs off this week. And then I'll bring up the calories next week. I'm NOT going to go out and have a pie to celebrate. I'd rather whack off a couple more pounds this week and re-set the calories next week.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Seems legit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Yeah.....ummmm....yeah.....

giphy.gif
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Okay, have fun when you get to goal weight and hate that you have no muscle left.
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    To clarify. I am taking my calories down THIS WEEK. Not forever. THIS WEEK. And then I will bring them up gradually again NEXT WEEK. You get it now????
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Well, if you've already committed to Doing It Wrong, I guess you might as well do it all the way wrong. :noway:
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    Okay, have fun when you get to goal weight and hate that you have no muscle left.

Huh? My chest, biceps, and back are up. My waist is down. Body flab is down, weight is down, and strength is up. Why would you think muscle would go down. I still have plenty of fat stores to burn before I would start burning muscle........
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Well, you are 8 pounds away from goal weight according to ticker. Are you raising your calories to a 10% calorie deficit? Or you are just raising them to a higher but still too aggressive deficit?
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    Well, if you've already committed to Doing It Wrong, I guess you might as well do it all the way wrong. :noway:

I am actually doing it right. I would be interested in hearing what is "wrong"?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Excellent, OP. You always have the most reasonable answers to things.

Keep being you.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Yep, for this week. I would like to get 2-4 more lbs off this week. And then I'll bring up the calories next week. I'm NOT going to go out and have a pie to celebrate. I'd rather whack off a couple more pounds this week and re-set the calories next week.

I fail to see the logic with this approach
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    Well, you are 8 pounds away from goal weight according to ticker. Are you raising your calories to a 10% calorie deficit? Or you are just raising them to a higher but still too aggressive deficit?

No. The Body builder does not want an immediate and drastic caloric increase. He wants to reset them gradually each week. He calls it a "reverse diet". I am alternating 1300/1700 right now. Probably 1400/1800 per day next week. That still gives me a good deficit where I can hit my goal weight fairly fast and maybe set a new goal of 199. 209 is a big milestone for me, so I am leary of bringing up the calories too quick or all at once. I can be more patient shooting for 199. Once I hit 209, I would like to stay close to my TDEE number and maybe deficit on alternating days. I am not going to be as aggressive as I was in the past.
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    Excellent, OP. You always have the most reasonable answers to things.

Keep being you.

Right back at you. And keep bringing your insights to things....
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options

I have found that in the past when I do a fast, it initiates faster weight loss and seems to eliminate plateaus.
  • deksgrl
    Options

No. The Body builder does not want an immediate and drastic caloric increase. He wants to reset them gradually each week. I am alternating 1300/1700 right now. Probably 1400/1800 per day next week. That still gives me a good deficit where I can hit my goal weight fairly fast and maybe set a new goal of 199. 209 is a big milestone for me, so I am leary of bringing up the calories too quick or all at once. I can be more patient shooting for 199.

Understandable that you don't want to bring them up too quickly. 1800 is still going to be more than a pound a week loss. Still very aggressive. This is a body builder who is making these recommendations and he hasn't been concerned about loss of LBM, with a rate of 4 pounds a week loss?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

I have found that in the past when I do a fast, it initiates faster weight loss and seems to eliminate plateaus.

lol

ok - do what you want
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Still doing it wrong. :ohwell:
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options

No. The Body builder does not want an immediate and drastic caloric increase. He wants to reset them gradually each week. I am alternating 1300/1700 right now. Probably 1400/1800 per day next week. That still gives me a good deficit where I can hit my goal weight fairly fast and maybe set a new goal of 199. 209 is a big milestone for me, so I am leary of bringing up the calories too quick or all at once. I can be more patient shooting for 199.

Understandable that you don't want to bring them up too quickly. 1800 is still going to be more than a pound a week loss. Still very aggressive. This is a body builder who is making these recommendations and he hasn't been concerned about loss of LBM, with a rate of 4 pounds a week loss?

No. Here is the thing about losing LBM, that he explained to me. Yes, if you are Dorian Yates, Ronnie Coleman, or Phil Heath, you have to worry about balancing weight loss versus LBM when you are cutting for Mr Olympia. But guess what? I aint them. I and 99% of the people on this site are not elite athletes with a 3-10% body fat. I and most people here have significant stores of body fat in spite of my weight loss. You will burn fat before you burn muscle if you have fat stores. I may write more in depth about this. It is one of the mantras that people on this site get wrong. Most of us are too fat to burn muscle in any significant amounts.
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    Still doing it wrong. :ohwell:

Still talking out of your backside....
This discussion has been closed.