RMR Test Results- Very Very Surprised

Options

Replies

• Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    So.... what exactly makes you think your body doesn't catabolize muscle when you have fat stores?

If this were true everyone who loses weight from being significantly obese to healthy weight would be built like a brickhouse. Skinny-fat would only be a problem for people who aren't ambulatory.

Its a matter of BFI and LBM. Is it really that controversial concept that an obese person with a high BF% and little LBM will somehow go into an immediate catabolic state with an aggressive calorie reduction. I never thought so, but apparently on this forum it seem to be a no no. I am saying that obese people don't need to wring their hands about losing LBM when they diet down. They are fat. They need to stop eating so much. They over eat. And they have little LBM. They are in no serious danger of losing massive amounts of LBM. At some point when their BFI gets in a lower range. Sure! Lose sleep over it then. But when you are pushing 3 bills with 30%+ BFI, trying pushing your fat *kitten* away from the dinner table. Worry about that. Worry about eating less.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :noway:
    qVmrgJW.jpg
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    "Hey! you can eat a bunch of calories and still lose fat!!"
    "Nah, thanks, i'm just going to starve myself."
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbQ5tJ46qKT2iXybr68U8xRRyEl5EBvv-BlaUC0zcmDxz2cvz0
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    Congratulations on your test results. I'd love to have my rmr measured like that!

It was VERY surprising to me. Because it would seem to contradict much of the closely held views that you see in this forum. Which the haters are now out in force. Funny, the Body Builder was not surprised. He is not a big believer in metabolic damage or slowdown given his own experiences. He feels that the body can be put under stress and rebound quickly from it. He takes a more aggressive approach to weight loss. He feels that one of the major reasons many people fail at weight loss, is the whole slow and steady approach that you see advocated. People get frustrated, depressed, and give up when they see small tiny incremental weight loss. And eventually give up or have setbacks. Larger and more aggressive weight loss motivates people and helps them push forward.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Sorry, just stepping into the conversation......OP, what kind of a fast are you proposing to do?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    So.... what exactly makes you think your body doesn't catabolize muscle when you have fat stores?

If this were true everyone who loses weight from being significantly obese to healthy weight would be built like a brickhouse. Skinny-fat would only be a problem for people who aren't ambulatory.

Its a matter of BFI and LBM. Is it really that controversial concept that an obese person with a high BF% and little LBM will somehow go into an immediate catabolic state with an aggressive calorie reduction. I never thought so, but apparently on this forum it seem to be a no no. I am saying that obese people don't need to wring their hands about losing LBM when they diet down. They are fat. They need to stop eating so much. They over eat. And they have little LBM. They are in no serious danger of losing massive amounts of LBM. At some point when their BFI gets in a lower range. Sure! Lose sleep over it then. But when you are pushing 3 bills with 30%+ BFI, trying pushing your fat *kitten* away from the dinner table. Worry about that. Worry about eating less.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :noway:
    qVmrgJW.jpg
    Better to be right 100%, 60% of the time, oh wait.
  • Ophidion
    Options
    Congratulations on your test results. I'd love to have my rmr measured like that!

It was VERY surprising to me. Because it would seem to contradict much of the closely held views that you see in this forum. Which the haters are now out in force. Funny, the Body Builder was not surprised. He is not a big believer in metabolic damage or slowdown given his own experiences. He feels that the body can be put under stress and rebound quickly from it. He takes a more aggressive approach to weight loss. He feels that one of the major reasons many people fail at weight loss, is the whole slow and steady approach that you see advocated. People get frustrated, depressed, and give up when they see small tiny incremental weight loss. And eventually give up or have setbacks. Larger and more aggressive weight loss motivates people and helps them push forward.
    fxjLudI.jpg
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    Let me get this straight.

You estimated a rough TDEE/BMR. Decided to eat below these.

You then had your RMR professionally measured, discovered it was much higher than you anticipated, and are now going to eat even less than you were before.

Yep, for this week. I would like to get 2-4 more lbs off this week. And then I'll bring up the calories next week. I'm NOT going to go out and have a pie to celebrate. I'd rather whack off a couple more pounds this week and re-set the calories next week.

I fail to see the logic with this approach
    Because the only thing that matters is this week.

And then the next week. And then the week after. Short term and long term goals are cool!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

Exactly what I'm hearing.

Sounds like OP is exchanging one unhealthy relationship with food for another.
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    Sorry, just stepping into the conversation......OP, what kind of a fast are you proposing to do?

Depends on how I feel. I try to do one a week. 36 hours is somewhat usual. I feel better, energy level is up, and just seem to get more done. I think (for me) it does have some impact on metabolism. It may also have a greater psycholgical impact, as I have less and less of a food fixation. That seems to be a real issue for a lot of people on these forums. They spend way too much time focusing on and obsessing about food.

I also IF everyday and only eat between noon and 8 pm.............That is also somewhat liberating.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

Cos there are no body-builders on the MFP forums. Only in real life. In your gym. Who will tell you anything and you will believe it.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options

The numbers are not lying!
    If you can handle a more aggressive approach, go for it! It does not currently work for me, I "run-out" emotionally and can't handle it.
    Well, many people, rather than discussing the issue and showing their viewpoint respectfully, run out of knowledge and begin to use SARCASM in place of INFORMATION as a way to manipulate/bully and otherwise bluff others into thinking they are smart. They can be safely ignored, and you will not be the worse for it.
  • ZeKiplinatell
    Options
    I'll post a few articles on this muscle loss issue.

- I started with weights in 1981. That was when I was told by the "experts" that I would get "muscle bound" and "unflexible". The exact opposite happened.

- I did weights in the 1990s when the "experts" said that you had to do cardio and not weights to lose weight. Weight training would add "bulk". The exact opposite happened

_ I did weights in the 2000s when the "experts" said that cardio and not weights will make you lean. The exact opposite happened.

Got away from them as I got older/hurt. Back on them training Dorian Yates HIT style.

I did not do an RMR test before starting. But I am certain based on my past weight and past caloric intake that it had to have been substantially lower than now. And the rapid weight loss coincides with not just caloric deficits, but a significant boost to my metabolism thru weight training. The "experts" would have you believe that my caloric deficits should have caused a significant slowing of my metabolism. That did not happen. The opposite appears to have occurred. So much for the experts....

I find it funny that you, Scotty, claim to have such a substantial amount of knowledge on the subject, and in particular, claim you are more knowledgeable than all of the MFP "fatties," yet you "Started with weights in 1981." It's 2014!!! You've been going at it for 33 years and you are only making ANOTHER mistake haha! You do realize that there are a whole lot of successful weight loss stories on here, including people getting into single digit BF percentages? Of which they already have achieved, unlike some :wink: . And a great lot of them did it in less than a year. By eating. More. Than you.

Either way, if it works, it works and more power to you. Just don't start crying 20 years from now saying "So much for the experts, uh I mean, bodybuilder guy that I payed money for."

Good Luck.
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options

But I don't feel "starved" in the least. The definitions of starvation seem somewhat overexaggerated at times.....
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Is this for real?
    or is this just fantasy?
    Whoaoa!
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options

Cos there are no body-builders on the MFP forums. Only in real life. In your gym. Who will tell you anything and you will believe it.

But I seem to realize there are different relevant points of view that may run contrary to the majority opinion on MFP. And I dont feel the need to shutdown those opinions and pile on with useless memes that don't add much to a conversation. Something to consider........................
  • Ophidion
    Options
    OP you may want to check out this definition before you keep making claims that others on here are only answering because of personal preference or 'fixation'...which actually to all appearances seems to be your methodology "My gym brah told me"

anecdotal
    ˌanɪkˈdəʊtl/
    adjective
    adjective: anecdotal

(of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research.

2.based on personal observation, case study reports, or random investigations rather than systematic scientific evaluation
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options

The numbers are not lying!
    If you can handle a more aggressive approach, go for it! It does not currently work for me, I "run-out" emotionally and can't handle it.
    Well, many people, rather than discussing the issue and showing their viewpoint respectfully, run out of knowledge and begin to use SARCASM in place of INFORMATION as a way to manipulate/bully and otherwise bluff others into thinking they are smart. They can be safely ignored, and you will not be the worse for it.

Yes. I get your points. Some people like to sprint and some like to marathon. I just could not handle seeing the scale or my body composition moving slowly. You prefer the slow and steady approach. Neither is wrong. One works for you and the other works for me. The problem is the lack of acceptance or group think mentality you get here when you advocate a more aggressive approach. I am just trying to skip over the idiots. No point in engaging them...
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

But I don't feel "starved" in the least. The definitions of starvation seem somewhat overexaggerated at times.....
    you know who else doesn't feel like they are starving? many people who suffer from anorexia nervosa.
    Part of the problem for both anorexics and overeaters, is that their/our hunger cues don't work properly anymore.
  • Ophidion
    Options

But I seem to realize there are different relevant points of view that may run contrary to the majority opinion on MFP. And I dont feel the need to shutdown those opinions and pile on with useless memes that don't add much to a conversation. Something to consider........................
    whoa! Hey now don't go hating on the memes or gifs, for they are but innocent bystanders, they have feelings...

VyGHYf8.gif
This discussion has been closed.