RMR Test Results- Very Very Surprised

Options

Replies

• Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Let me get this straight.

You estimated a rough TDEE/BMR. Decided to eat below these.

You then had your RMR professionally measured, discovered it was much higher than you anticipated, and are now going to eat even less than you were before.

Yep, for this week. I would like to get 2-4 more lbs off this week. And then I'll bring up the calories next week. I'm NOT going to go out and have a pie to celebrate. I'd rather whack off a couple more pounds this week and re-set the calories next week.
    4zynT0W.gif

Ui8lEFA.jpg
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    So.... what exactly makes you think your body doesn't catabolize muscle when you have fat stores?

If this were true everyone who loses weight from being significantly obese to healthy weight would be built like a brickhouse. Skinny-fat would only be a problem for people who aren't ambulatory.

Its a matter of BFI and LBM. Is it really that controversial concept that an obese person with a high BF% and little LBM will somehow go into an immediate catabolic state with an aggressive calorie reduction. I never thought so, but apparently on this forum it seem to be a no no. I am saying that obese people don't need to wring their hands about losing LBM when they diet down. They are fat. They need to stop eating so much. They over eat. And they have little LBM. They are in no serious danger of losing massive amounts of LBM. At some point when their BFI gets in a lower range. Sure! Lose sleep over it then. But when you are pushing 3 bills with 30%+ BFI, trying pushing your fat *kitten* away from the dinner table. Worry about that. Worry about eating less.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    What the Hell are you on about, scotty?

There are lots of people here who have lost a lot of weight. Don't assume you know everything.

Mostly because - Newsflash - you don't.

What do those bodybuilders' pictures have to do with any of this?

No, but I know more than you. That point is quite evident.

And does every post have to be explained to you in detail? Perhaps if you were paying attention and following along the points, the discussion would not be continually going over your head. The BB pictures go along with the weight versus LBM discussion that you were not paying attention to. The picture illustrates the balancing act that an elite athlete has in balancing weight loss from 300lbs down to 255lbs. And how that will effect LBM in reality. This problem does not generally apply to obese people who have plenty of fat stores and limited muscle mass. They won't be wasting away anytime soon....Now you get it?

BRB comparing average natural individuals to IFBB pro's who openly have admitted to utilizing various types of gear. Clearly you don't know much.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    So.... what exactly makes you think your body doesn't catabolize muscle when you have fat stores?

If this were true everyone who loses weight from being significantly obese to healthy weight would be built like a brickhouse. Skinny-fat would only be a problem for people who aren't ambulatory.

Its a matter of BFI and LBM. Is it really that controversial concept that an obese person with a high BF% and little LBM will somehow go into an immediate catabolic state with an aggressive calorie reduction. I never thought so, but apparently on this forum it seem to be a no no. I am saying that obese people don't need to wring their hands about losing LBM when they diet down. They are fat. They need to stop eating so much. They over eat. And they have little LBM. They are in no serious danger of losing massive amounts of LBM. At some point when their BFI gets in a lower range. Sure! Lose sleep over it then. But when you are pushing 3 bills with 30%+ BFI, trying pushing your fat *kitten* away from the dinner table. Worry about that. Worry about eating less.

Obese people generally have high LBM though. It takes a lot of muscle to move a very heavy person around through everyday activities, like squatting to get up and down to use a toilet.

They have little LBM after severe calorie restriction weight loss...not before.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    You will see a lot of bad advice here, that's for sure.

Like, "Hey, I lost 40 lbs in two months. My trainer wants me to eat more. I found out my TDEE is way higher than I thought. Imma eat less. Yep, I don't care if it makes me miserable and cranky, because I know how to lose weight."
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Is this for real?
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    Just got back from a quick 200 calorie burn on the Tmill. That was my second of the day. Oh and today was an off day for me. This completed hour 26 of my fast. I am going to take the fast longer and break it for lunch tomorrow. That will give my a nice 40 hour fast. I'll do 3 Weight training days with 400 calorie cardio burns. And 3 days of cardio with 600 calorie burns. I think I will do a protein shake and 2 grilled chicken caesar salads for each day of the week. That will be 900 calories of food per day. Counting excercise that will be at least 2000 calorie deficits per day and 14,000 for the week. That should be a 4 pound weight loss for the week. Hmmmm. Sounds intriguing!!! I just hope I don't go into starvation mode and lose all that lean body mass! LOL. Either that or I could always "eat more to lose more"...................

No offence dude, but that sounds miserable.
    I had six Hershey's Kisses with my morning cup of tea, then did my p90x3 workout, ate half a cup of oats with milk and protein powder, made a chicken salad with 200g of chicken and jalapeno peppers and cheese, then walk to work, work for five hours, walk back (45 minute walking commute each way) cook a bomb-*kitten* lean beef chilli con carne with plenty of veggies, go for a 3 mile run and come home, shower and go to bed. Sometimes I'll have a boiled egg or two or some toast if I have the macros for it.
    What I don't understand is why you would deprive yourself, arguments about LBM etc aside, when you could have more and enjoy your food? Don't you struggle through your exercise without adequate calories? Doesn't it make you grumpy?

I got the eye on the prize. And I am more than willing to make some sacrifices to be stronger, leaner, and healthier than stuff my pie hole with Hersey kisses. Dude, its just food, it aint all that important. I can get by on 900 calories in the short term. I won't be wasting away anytime soon. despite the hysteria you read in these forums. And I dont feel grumpy over food. I'll ramp up the calories next week and everything will be good. I'll be at 213 with a new lower baseline and ready to take off the last 4 pounds. Sounds cool to me!

Oh cool, so I'm less dedicated than you because I eat chocolates? I don't have my "eye on the prize", clearly.
    I guess I'll just tell those 70lbs I already lost to come on back because I'm not serious enough.

Didn't question your dedication. Its great you lost the weight. Be proud. I just really don't care about food all that much right now. I plan on having a treat here and there. But I am past the point of food obsession. Which seems to be another issue on this forum. People need to deal with that issue IMO............
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

WOW, arrogant much?
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    I'm thinking poor scotty is just hungry, and that is making him overly testy. Can't believe he's this wound up already after 120ish posts here.

Eat some food, you'll be much happier. Really. :flowerforyou:

Food is over rated..............
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Is this for real?
    or is this just fantasy?
  • tiddles_yeah
    tiddles_yeah Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    How exactly did you get your RMR tested?? I just want to know what they used to determine it as it is quite high
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Just got back from a quick 200 calorie burn on the Tmill. That was my second of the day. Oh and today was an off day for me. This completed hour 26 of my fast. I am going to take the fast longer and break it for lunch tomorrow. That will give my a nice 40 hour fast. I'll do 3 Weight training days with 400 calorie cardio burns. And 3 days of cardio with 600 calorie burns. I think I will do a protein shake and 2 grilled chicken caesar salads for each day of the week. That will be 900 calories of food per day. Counting excercise that will be at least 2000 calorie deficits per day and 14,000 for the week. That should be a 4 pound weight loss for the week. Hmmmm. Sounds intriguing!!! I just hope I don't go into starvation mode and lose all that lean body mass! LOL. Either that or I could always "eat more to lose more"...................

No offence dude, but that sounds miserable.
    I had six Hershey's Kisses with my morning cup of tea, then did my p90x3 workout, ate half a cup of oats with milk and protein powder, made a chicken salad with 200g of chicken and jalapeno peppers and cheese, then walk to work, work for five hours, walk back (45 minute walking commute each way) cook a bomb-*kitten* lean beef chilli con carne with plenty of veggies, go for a 3 mile run and come home, shower and go to bed. Sometimes I'll have a boiled egg or two or some toast if I have the macros for it.
    What I don't understand is why you would deprive yourself, arguments about LBM etc aside, when you could have more and enjoy your food? Don't you struggle through your exercise without adequate calories? Doesn't it make you grumpy?

I got the eye on the prize. And I am more than willing to make some sacrifices to be stronger, leaner, and healthier than stuff my pie hole with Hersey kisses. Dude, its just food, it aint all that important. I can get by on 900 calories in the short term. I won't be wasting away anytime soon. despite the hysteria you read in these forums. And I dont feel grumpy over food. I'll ramp up the calories next week and everything will be good. I'll be at 213 with a new lower baseline and ready to take off the last 4 pounds. Sounds cool to me!

Oh cool, so I'm less dedicated than you because I eat chocolates? I don't have my "eye on the prize", clearly.
    I guess I'll just tell those 70lbs I already lost to come on back because I'm not serious enough.

Didn't question your dedication. Its great you lost the weight. Be proud. I just really don't care about food all that much right now. I plan on having a treat here and there. But I am past the point of food obsession. Which seems to be another issue on this forum. People need to deal with that issue IMO............
    the issue of enjoying food?

no thanks

i am doing very well, looking better than ever, gaining strength

and EATING.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking poor scotty is just hungry, and that is making him overly testy. Can't believe he's this wound up already after 120ish posts here.

Eat some food, you'll be much happier. Really. :flowerforyou:

Food is over rated..............

You sound like a joyous person to be around. And a riot at parties.

Confirmed for eternally hangry.
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    Newbie with closed diary and no pics joins MFP and starts telling everyone they're wrong about everything.

Film at 11.

No. Newbie with a different perspective is taking a different approach to weight loss which has upset the "eat more, not less" crowd. Drink our Kool aid or we get mad and post insults and immature memes and gifs cause we like to march in lock step with the conventional clap trap. And if you respond to our insults, we will call you a meanie.................
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Newbie with closed diary and no pics joins MFP and starts telling everyone they're wrong about everything.

Film at 11.

No. Newbie with a different perspective is taking a different approach to weight loss which has upset the "eat more, not less" crowd. Drink our Kool aid or we get mad and post insults and immature memes and gifs cause we like to march in lock step with the conventional clap trap. And if you respond to our insults, we will call you a meanie.................

plsgo.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Let me get this straight.

You estimated a rough TDEE/BMR. Decided to eat below these.

You then had your RMR professionally measured, discovered it was much higher than you anticipated, and are now going to eat even less than you were before.

Yep, for this week. I would like to get 2-4 more lbs off this week. And then I'll bring up the calories next week. I'm NOT going to go out and have a pie to celebrate. I'd rather whack off a couple more pounds this week and re-set the calories next week.

I fail to see the logic with this approach
    Because the only thing that matters is this week.
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options
    How exactly did you get your RMR tested?? I just want to know what they used to determine it as it is quite high

At a hospital. They have a weight loss clinic there as well. I had to breathe into a machine for 15 minutes which then calculated a calorie/pound factor and RMR factor based on CO2(?). MedGem was the device.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

There are lots of people here who have lost a lot of weight. Don't assume you know everything.

And does every post have to be explained to you in detail? Perhaps if you were paying attention and following along the points, the discussion would not be continually going over your head. The BB pictures go along with the weight versus LBM discussion that you were not paying attention to. The picture illustrates the balancing act that an elite athlete has in balancing weight loss from 300lbs down to 255lbs. And how that will effect LBM in reality. This problem does not generally apply to obese people who have plenty of fat stores and limited muscle mass. They won't be wasting away anytime soon....Now you get it?

The study I cited above says differently. Overweight and obese people lost both body fat and muscle mass while in a calorie deficit. Their bodies did not burn through all the fat before burning through the muscle.

Here's study about elite athletes and how rates of weight loss impact lean body mass and performance during weight loss. TL;DR - the slower losers have the edge

Effect of two different weight-loss rates on body composition and strength and power-related performance in elite athletes. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21558571

Weight loss without losing muscle mass in pre-obese and obese subjects induced by a high-soy-protein diet.

CONCLUSIONS:

Our data suggest that a high-soy-protein and low-fat diet can improve the body composition in overweight and obese people, losing fat but preserving muscle mass.

The first group who was not on the diet also lost weight, but they lost muscle mass in addition to fat. How is this possible if the human body burns through fat stores before muscle mass as you claim?

Where is that listed in this study. that is not what is in this abstract or conclusion???

How could they reach the conclusion that the diet intervention preserved muscle mass if no muscle mass is ever lost during weight loss? You can't preserve something that isn't in danger of disappearing. Could it be that researchers at Rockefeller University already identified that muscle mass is lost during weight loss and the percentage of muscle mass lost increases when the caloric deficit increases back in the 1980s? You want to continue down this path, that's your business, but science is not on your side in making that decision.

I'm out, there's a bed with a hot man in it where my time would be much better spent.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your test results. I'd love to have my rmr measured like that!
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options

The study I cited above says differently. Overweight and obese people lost both body fat and muscle mass while in a calorie deficit. Their bodies did not burn through all the fat before burning through the muscle.

Here's study about elite athletes and how rates of weight loss impact lean body mass and performance during weight loss. TL;DR - the slower losers have the edge

Effect of two different weight-loss rates on body composition and strength and power-related performance in elite athletes. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21558571

Weight loss without losing muscle mass in pre-obese and obese subjects induced by a high-soy-protein diet.

CONCLUSIONS:

Our data suggest that a high-soy-protein and low-fat diet can improve the body composition in overweight and obese people, losing fat but preserving muscle mass.

The first group who was not on the diet also lost weight, but they lost muscle mass in addition to fat. How is this possible if the human body burns through fat stores before muscle mass as you claim?

Where is that listed in this study. that is not what is in this abstract or conclusion???

How could they reach the conclusion that the diet intervention preserved muscle mass if no muscle mass is ever lost during weight loss? You can't preserve something that isn't in danger of disappearing. Could it be that researchers at Rockefeller University already identified that muscle mass is lost during weight loss and the percentage of muscle mass lost increases when the caloric deficit increases back in the 1980s? You want to continue down this path, that's your business, but science is not on your side in making that decision.

I'm out, there's a bed with a hot man in it where my time would be much better spent.

Dude. Did you link the wrong study? Here is the one you posted. Unless you mis linked it seems to contradict what you are saying:

CONCLUSIONS:

[/quote]
This discussion has been closed.