Options
bearkisses
bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
For reals, how do you feels?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have it...........................................because I couldn't be a SAHD anymore! My DW brings home the bacon!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    I love my wife, whatever she chooses to do. The end.*

*well, not totally. I want someone home with the kids, but I'm okay if that person is me. Actually, I'd be thrilled if it were me. :bigsmile: I believe very strongly in having that immediate and constantly available influence during the early years if it is financially feasible.
  • bearkisses
    Options
    i forgot I was asking an internet forum
  • fitandskinnygal
    Options

*well, not totally. I want someone home with the kids, but I'm okay if that person is me. Actually, I'd be thrilled if it were me. :bigsmile: I believe very strongly in having that immediate and constantly available influence during the early years if it is financially feasible.

not a man, but this ^^^
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    So this is not some kind of vegetarian "ham" substitute?
  • bearkisses
    Options
    i just can't stomach a child saying "I want to be a stay at home parent when I grow up". If it happens for the right reasons of nurturing and behavioural development concerns, then awesome. But having it as a goal. Can't stop facepalming.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options

It's a great feeling. I get to take my DD to school and pick her up and do homework with her and play and hang out. I think a father/daughter connection is important because from my understanding females tend to gravitate towards men who usually have some of the same traits/behaviors as their fathers.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I think it's a nice choice but she needs to be sure that's what she wants. I've seen so many cases where women decide to do this and then resent it as "lost years" or something.
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options

It's a great feeling. I get to take my DD to school and pick her up and do homework with her and play and hang out. I think a father/daughter connection is important because from my understanding females tend to gravitate towards men who usually have some of the same traits/behaviors as their fathers.

IDEA Fitness member

My daughter is the same way, very attached to me, and I am COMPLETELY jealous of you. I'm taking her out to dinner and dancing this weekend (she's nine). She looks forward to this event more than Christmas, and I'm not kidding at all.

edit: Just to add it in, my wife and I felt very strongly that she finish her nursing degree before my career started. So we worked an extra two years wife her going part time and me working night shifts so that one of us could always be home with our first child. I delayed going to work in my field until she was done. No way I wanted her to not have a degree and a possibility to make a stable and desirable income if something were to happen down the road to me (making it not possible to work) or to our marriage (making it harder for our kids, in addition to the hardships that women face in divorce...it's part of being a decent human being who has full buy in to the relationship).
  • bearkisses
    Options
    3fa6c4f6589a9b9a11fe1c6374958318345bcb2e44434f0eedd75a85315e5328.jpg
    fad276c5a255df979356de11951f4c53007dab4921570df7c62406174f3ebed0.jpg
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    My wife is a SAHM, more than happy for her to do it. It bolis down to for me, that as long as she is happy and is appreciated by both the kid and me. No issues on the ohter hand if she wanted to go back to work full time, the same applies.

Happy wife, Happy life - great rule to live by
  • ashleybohman
    ashleybohman Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i just can't stomach a child saying "I want to be a stay at home parent when I grow up". If it happens for the right reasons of nurturing and behavioural development concerns, then awesome. But having it as a goal. Can't stop facepalming.

I always wanted to be a mom. Ideally, I knew I wanted to stay at home since that isn't what I had. Ta da! Now I stay home! Our daughter wants to be like her mom. Her brother wants to be a dinosaur... Kids want to do what they want to do.
  • MyLovesMyLife
    MyLovesMyLife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with being a SAHM? My dd's would be blessed to be able to stay home and raise their children. I work but my husband works from home and cares for our children. No one can take better care of your child than you.
  • bearkisses
    Options

I always wanted to be a mom. Ideally, I knew I wanted to stay at home since that isn't what I had. Ta da! Now I stay home! Our daughter wants to be like her mom. Her brother wants to be a dinosaur... Kids want to do what they want to do.

i always wanted to be a mom too...and have a career. lol. Your son can have children while he is still slaving away as a dinosaur.
  • fitandskinnygal
    Options

Well, I agree with you there because what if you never get married…. or get a divorce?? Or your husband dies? Then you have no job or education to fall back on, and you struggle just to feed your children.
  • bearkisses
    Options
    What's wrong with being a SAHM? My dd's would be blessed to be able to stay home and raise their children. I work but my husband works from home and cares for our children. No one can take better care of your child than you.

but he works. That is the point. He is working. Working parents still care for their children.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

I've discovered that it's just as important (and maybe more!) to have that immediate and constantly available influence in the teen years, too! I still have one little one all day, but it's good being available to the older kids when they need me, and being home when they first get home from Jr High is a big deal. A lot of people told me "you can always go back to work when your kids are in school" but for us, it's so much better that I'm home even now.
  • bearkisses
    Options

Well, I agree with you there because what if you never get married…. or get a divorce?? Or your husband dies? Then you have no job or education to fall back on, and you struggle just to feed your children.

Maybe it is just me, but I feel that life is about aspirations and having skills and growing. I saw this and laughed my *kitten* off because working parents still have their children at the end of the day. They don't just disappear. They will still be annoying when you come home from work.
    5606b310841fca253dd82e2169aa416a.jpg
  • MyLovesMyLife
    MyLovesMyLife Posts: 424 Member
    Options

but he works. That is the point. He is working. Working parents still care for their children.
    I would hope so but you can't trust others with your children like you can trust your spouse. My husband doesn't work when I'm at work so he is like any stay at home parent.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

The thing that irritated me the most when I chose to stay home with my kids was the people saying "but it's such a waste … you're so smart (etc) that you could be <fill in the blank here>" I am successful just as I am. I don't need a career to make me successful (but I have several somethings to fall back on, if the need arises). And I would never discourage a child from having SAHP as a career goal … but again would remind them to have several options.

ETA: It's ironic, OP, that you bemoaned "I forgot I was asking on an internet forum" but you're the only one really trying to stir the pot.