Boyfriend has roadrage

Options

Replies

• gottahavefaith2014
    Options
    Show him this clip from Louis CK. He puts road rage in the proper perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8062QEFk5g

This is great. Thanks for sharing. I sent it to him :smile:
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    i have road rage.

side effect of being a leafs fan,
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    i have road rage.

Apparently I do too! No wonder we're buddies. :drinker:
  • gottahavefaith2014
    Options
    I'm not sure why this hasn't been suggested......

Just break up.

:flowerforyou:

I try.. I posted this response earlier. He keeps saying he'll change.

He won't without outside help. Next time he does it get out of the car and go home (If you live with him give him a cohoice he leaves or you do. when he pleads be firm and demand counseling for anger management and joint counseling for other issues. He's shown he will not change.

We don't live together and I've asked him to leave my house many times after an episode. He won't go for help. I just asked him.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    Assuming it's as serious as you say it is, I'm just wondering why you would continue to date someone who behaves like this. Is this not a red flag for you?

I know..... and I have left him for this reason and the usual "I'll change" begins. I think this is aging me! I love him but I hate him.

um, I think there's a bigger issue than just roadrage here....
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Mine has it too, as do I but on a smaller scale.

We have a couple 4-lane highways through town and all last summer one lane of one of the highways was closed. People who travel it daily knew to get into the left lane and anyone else could see the big flashing arrow directing people to get over. Of course you have the *kitten* who will pass all the cars and try to cut over. One lady did that to him and almost ran him off the bridge over a massive river.

He chucked a 1 liter water bottle at her car. :laugh:

Edited for spelling mistakes!
  • gottahavefaith2014
    Options
    Assuming it's as serious as you say it is, I'm just wondering why you would continue to date someone who behaves like this. Is this not a red flag for you?

I know..... and I have left him for this reason and the usual "I'll change" begins. I think this is aging me! I love him but I hate him.

um, I think there's a bigger issue than just roadrage here....

I know. I guess I'm just not ready to accept it.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    It's easy to be angry at a complete stranger on the road..tell him to pretend it's his mom/friend etc. you would easily shake your head and just think...damn my mom sucks at driving etc. rather than go into a fit of rage wishing you had built in machine guns to take out the stupid drivers that can't get the heck out of the way ...it's the fast lane....move over or get run over...

I so wish it was legal to shoot people who do that.

I want to shoot him!!! Me, the passenger!

you hate him and want to shoot him. This sounds like a wonderful relationship.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I'm not really new here.... lurked for a while, created a profile and then lurked some more.... finally got the nerve to post this as I am having a really hard time with it.

My boyfriend is just horrible with his road rage. There have been many times that I asked him to go home after returning from shopping and him going ballistic on someone in another car. This isn't a new topic for us. We have discussed it in great length.

He says he will try to control it. Then he says that I am a pushover for not getting angry at other drivers, seriously? I'm a calm person, driving relaxes me, if someone drives like an idiot, what will my honking and swearing at them resolve? I just blow it off and just steer clear of them.

So what I'm asking is what would you do? I can't expect him to change can I? And do people really change anyway?

What would you do?

Couple of questions:

What does he do when he "goes ballistic"?

Is he like this all of the time or is it just when driving?

I doubt there is much you can do, he has to recognize it as a problem himself.

What he does is hold down the horn (not just beep) and call them names. They can't hear him, it's friggen winter time and our windows are closed, I'm the one blessed by his intense madness. He also drives very close to them then zooms by them and stares them down. I mean, come one. He's 58 years old!!

Only when he's driving but he does complain often about other things.... that'll be another topic :embarassed:
    58 year old man that can't control his behaviour in a situation that could result in serious injury.

Normally I'd insert a ''tell him to grow the **** up'' here, but he's a bit too old and far gone for that.
  • Amazonbella
    Options
    **Giggles...cause it's TRUE**
    LMAO. Internet rage, road rage bwahahaha. It's still a rage., it a public forum not your personal space, just like a road is public.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    OP, your BF may have road rage, but it appears to me that you are afflicted with "forum rage".

ETA: Just read more of the thread. Seems I'm not the only one to take that diagnosis. You and he are a match made in heaven.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options

Just break up.

He won't without outside help. Next time he does it get out of the car and go home (If you live with him give him a cohoice he leaves or you do. when he pleads be firm and demand counseling for anger management and joint counseling for other issues. He's shown he will not change.

We don't live together and I've asked him to leave my house many times after an episode. He won't go for help. I just asked him.

then you need to leave him and possibly seek some support/ help yourself to deal with it
  • gottahavefaith2014
    Options
    Come to think of it.... he has rage at the movies too. He will start fights if someone doesn't sit quick enough or if they walk in late. It's annoying, yes but start a fight?
  • ClutteredForest
    Options
    I suppose that most of us don't have cameras constantly on in our cars, but I would be interested to see how often people with road rage express it when they're alone.

If it only happens when there is someone in the car with them, (if a driver rages in the forest and there is no one around to see them...) then it might be a slightly different issue than anger managment.

Maybe more of a demonstrative... power, sort of thing? Thoughts?
  • Amazonbella
    Options
    funny-pictures-road-rage-300x210.jpg
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Come to think of it.... he has rage at the movies too. He will start fights if someone doesn't sit quick enough or if they walk in late. It's annoying, yes but start a fight?

Me thinks we have a troll. . . .
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options

He's a keeper.
  • gottahavefaith2014
    Options

Just break up.

then you need to leave him and possibly seek some support/ help yourself to deal with it

Thank you. I am talking to someone.

It's weird, He's the funniest man I ever met and the angriest man I ever met. Weird eh?