Skinny people who think they know better...

Options

Replies

• bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. "Well I've always been 100 pounds soaking wet. Why don't you just exercise more? It's not like it's hard. You're just lazy." BLAHHHHHHHHHHH. Good for them, but not everyone has magic genes and an endless supply of willpower.

no one has an endless supply of willpower or magic genes. This girl is skinny for reason.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. "Well I've always been 100 pounds soaking wet. Why don't you just exercise more? It's not like it's hard. You're just lazy." BLAHHHHHHHHHHH. Good for them, but not everyone has magic genes and an endless supply of willpower.

Maaagggiiiiiccccc
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    So I just got into an argument online with some skinny woman who's never had a weight problem in her life basically saying that all I know about weight loss is wrong and I'm giving horrible advice.

Gotta love it.. We all know someone like this, don't we?

know it alls are know it alls skinny or fat. They come in all shapes and sizes and are rude.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Maaagggiiiiiccccc

walla magic!
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I think I understand what the TC means. When you've been battling an eating disorder and someone who's never dealt with that struggle tries to give you advice, it can be really frustrating. They may very well know a lot about healthy living and fitness, but if they don't understand the psychological aspects involved with binge/compulsive eating, they're just not going to be able to help and it's very arrogant of some people to think they have all the answers when they're actually clueless about certain things.

It's like when people tell anorexics to just eat, or bulimics to just stop puking because it's unhealthy - as if that will solve their problems. It's really easy for someone to put in their two cents when they really don't understand the core issues involved. They're thus unable to truly empathize with and understand the situation.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    It's not just girls. My favorite piece of advice from skinnier guys is "just do 100 crunches every day".

Eventually though, as you stack success on top of success, you end up with a very intimidating physique that will elicit virtually no advice/debate (you win all debates before they open their mouth), even people looking for advice get intimidated. When it is blatantly obvious that you care, a lot, that commitment is very intimidating.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    It's not just girls. My favorite piece of advice from skinnier guys is "just do 100 crunches every day".

Eventually though, as you stack success on top of success, you end up with a very intimidating physique that will elicit virtually no advice/debate (you win all debates before they open their mouth), even people looking for advice get intimidated. When it is blatantly obvious that you care, a lot, that commitment is very intimidating.

trust-me-brah-no-carbs-after-6pm.jpg
  • seamonster1203
    seamonster1203 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I've known overweight people who think they are diet experts
    I've seen skinny dudes give advice to ripped guys
    I've seen broke people give financial advice...

so yeah....unless you are living proof then just keep the advice to yourself or you just come off as arrogant.
  • MaretL
    MaretL Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    OMG! That is so rude! The pic with this young skinny man with a message on in: Trust me brah... Why would anybody feel the need of putting such a pic into a random forum post??!! Would it be ok for somebody else post pics of us, being overweight, with some stupid messages written on it??? I am working with people every day, i see different bodies every single day and really got upset after seeing that picture. What do you think will happen if this same young man stumbles on that pic in internet one day, how would he feel? Just because he is genetically skinny does not mean that he goes around and makes jokes of all people bigger than him. Tell you what, I have heard plenty of stories from "skinny people" about them having tried for years to gain weight and with no success. Probably they feel exactly the same about our advice, eat more and go to gym more often etc. How magic do these genes sound then?

I am not with "skinny genes" but I am definitely eating too much sweet stuff, exercising too little, not eating enough fresh and should be drinking more water and less coffee. If healthy fit (or even healthy skinny) person talks about their eating and exercise habits I listen very carefully because obviously they are doing something different than me, maybe there is a lesson for me. Maybe we are the lucky ones instead because it seems to be so much easier to lose weight and get toned than to gain weight and maintain it (especially for men).
  • happysummerrunner
    happysummerrunner Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Here's an analogy....

I learned Spanish as a second language and I found it easier sometimes to learn from a non-native speaker - someone who spoke English first and has "been there" learning Spanish. And sometimes it was easier to learn from a native speaker.

Ok it's late, I'm tired, but this makes sense in my head. There are things you can learn both from people who have always been fit and people who have "been there"- gone through the weight loss journey.
  • mochamommy
    mochamommy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    All the skinnies on here slam you for not eating how they say you should...which is a way that keeps you fat
  • determinedbutlazy
    Options
    OMG! That is so rude! The pic with this young skinny man with a message on in: Trust me brah... Why would anybody feel the need of putting such a pic into a random forum post??!! Would it be ok for somebody else post pics of us, being overweight, with some stupid messages written on it??? I am working with people every day, i see different bodies every single day and really got upset after seeing that picture. What do you think will happen if this same young man stumbles on that pic in internet one day, how would he feel? Just because he is genetically skinny does not mean that he goes around and makes jokes of all people bigger than him. Tell you what, I have heard plenty of stories from "skinny people" about them having tried for years to gain weight and with no success. Probably they feel exactly the same about our advice, eat more and go to gym more often etc. How magic do these genes sound then?

I am not with "skinny genes" but I am definitely eating too much sweet stuff, exercising too little, not eating enough fresh and should be drinking more water and less coffee. If healthy fit (or even healthy skinny) person talks about their eating and exercise habits I listen very carefully because obviously they are doing something different than me, maybe there is a lesson for me. Maybe we are the lucky ones instead because it seems to be so much easier to lose weight and get toned than to gain weight and maintain it (especially for men).

Are you new to the internet? Trust Me Brah guy is a very veeeeery common internet meme.
  • MaretL
    Options

Are you new to the internet? Trust Me Brah guy is a very veeeeery common internet meme.

Yes, apparently I must be very new to the internet, never seen it before. Did he make this pic of himself with that message on it, do you know by any chance?
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    All the skinnies on here slam you for not eating how they say you should...which is a way that keeps you fat

It's a conspiracy...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Skinny.
  • Achrya
    Options

Truth. Back in the day when I was young and have less than 1k posts trust me brah (I lift) was my avatar.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I'm making some ramen for a midnight snack. Skinny chicks eat like chit and all....

No really, I'm making ramen. Craving something salty.
  • Achrya
    Options

Is that what all the 'skinnies' are doing?
  • determinedbutlazy
    Options

Is that what all the 'skinnies' are doing?

tumblr_lwsbmaBLPy1r5gxtwo1_500.jpg
  • MaretL
    Options

Truth. Back in the day when I was young and have less than 1k posts trust me brah (I lift) was my avatar.

So that would make it ok to post offensive pics of somebody? Still don't find it funny.